Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 31st January - New Orleans Pelicans vs Memphis Grizzlies - 19-29

Only 3 pages tonight?

Final Statlines

Lonzo: 19 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 steal. 7/10 shooting, 5/7 from 3 (71.4%). 6 turnovers, 1 foul.
    Zion: 24 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists. 9/15 shooting (60%), 6/8 from the FT line (75%)*. 1 turnover, 2 fouls.
    Jrue: 18 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks. 7/15 shooting (46.7%), 2/5 from 3 (40%). 1 turnover, 2 fouls.
    Ingram: 20 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists. 6/13 shooting (46.2%), 1/5 from 3 (20%). 1 turnover, 0 fouls.
    Favors: 7 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal. 3/3 shooting. 1 turnover, 0 fouls.

Bench
    Hart: 11 points, 11 rebounds, 57%FG, 2 turnovers and 5 fouls
    Moore: 10 points, 1 rebound, 3 assists, 38.5% shooting. 1 turnover 3 fouls
    Redick: 16 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist. 50% shooting, 60% from 3. 2 turnovers, 3 fouls.
    Melli: 10 points, 5 rebounds, 80% shooting, 67% from 3. 0 turnovers, 4 fouls
    Jax: 4 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist. 100% shooting, 0 turnovers, 1 foul.
    Basketball.

Lol, just as I turn on the game I see this on twitter

Jeeeeesus Christ Zion

Watching this game back, noticing a few things.

First of all, general shot selection. We took 34 3s, which is a lot, but for our team is actually pretty moderate, and relatively few of them are from silly deep. Lots of them right up at the line, which is good to see. The ones which are from really deep are generally Lonzo shots (unsurprisingly) but he was making them tonight so it's hard to get too mad; dude was hot. Tons of looks directly at the rim as well; which is what you'd want when you're attacking a team that's missing its defensive core in JJJ.

More specifically, I wanna shout out Brandon Ingram for his shot selection tonight. It's not all been perfect, there have been a few times where I've thought he's missed a good pass or something, but in general it's been really nice. Checking his shot chart on NBA Stats just to make sure I'm not missing anything, I see a grand total of 1 (one) mid-range shot, and really it's a FT line jumper so that's debatable as a paint shot.

Another thing I like is Jrue not falling in love with the 3. Sometimes when he's shooting it fairly well, he does get a bit too trigger happy from deep and neglect his driving game, which is a shame because he's a really good driver and finisher. First quarter: 1 3PA. Third quarter: 1 3PA. He doesn't get quite as close to the basket on some of these shots as I'd like, which is kind of irritating, but I prefer the balance of inside and outside, for sure.

Zion obviously did his thing, but he's not one who's prone to taking weird awkward shots anyway; he generally takes the 3 when it's wide open, or he gets to the rim. Very few 16 foot running floaters or whatever

Advanced Stats Time
    Minimum 15 minutes played

Best Net Rating: Jrue Holiday at +42.9, followed by Zion at +34.8
    Worst Net Rating: JJ Redick, +4.4

Best TS%: Nicolo Melli at 100%. Only one player (Moore) shot under league average TS% tonight
    Highest REB%: Derrick Favors at 24.4%, then Hart at 18.6%.
    Highest AST%: Lonzo Ball, at 27.6%, then Jrue at 25%.

Most Deflections: Jrue Holiday with 4
    Most Screen Assists: Zion Williamson with 4
    Most 2pt Contests: Josh Hart with 8, Lonzo with 7
    Most 3pt Contests: Lonzo with 7, Zion with 6
    Most Total Contests: Lonzo with 14, Zion with 10
    Most Boxouts: Favors with 4, then Melli, Jrue, and Zion all with 2.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Only 3 pages tonight?
    Hahaha. I love that this was the top of page 4. It is so #pelslife. So us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Definitely need a rollover. I'll accept retroactively considering this game a 1 point win if we can start next game up 27-0.
    You'll have a fun all the way watch through. Dominating performance. The two games we played Memphis should put some pressure on them. They know we are gunning for that spot. Hopefully that pressure bleeds into other games.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 02-01-2020 at 01:44 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Hahaha. I love that this was the top of page 4. It is so #pelslife. So us.

You'll have a fun all the way watch through. Dominating performance. The two games we played Memphis should put some pressure on them. They know we are gunning for that spot. Hopefully that pressure bleeds into other games.
    Just got through with it, and you're right. Lots of fun. Great to see most of the starters sit the entire 4th quarter, and those that didn't (Zion, for example) still sitting well before the end. No need to 'close out' a game like this. Only one player went over 30 minutes tonight. That's what's up.

Superb team win guys!

Zion in his first 5 career games:

Tonight: 24 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 60%FG. 28 minutes.
    Cavs: 14 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist. 53.8%FG. 29 minutes.
    Celtics: 21 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists. 56.2%FG. 27 minutes.
    Nuggets: 15 points, 6 rebounds. 77.8%FG. 21 minutes.
    Spurs: 22 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists. 72.7%FG. 18 minutes.

We all know he has points of improvement to make: he's essentially 5 games into his rookie year. That's totally to be expected.

But there's no denying that while he hasn't reached his ceiling yet (far from it), he's still a legit player right now. He's really good. Has yet to exceed 30 minutes in a game, and is averaging 19.2 points and 7.8 rebounds on 62.5% shooting (40/64).

List of rookies to ever average at least 19/7.5 on 60%FG in NBA history: nobody.
    List of rookies to ever average at least 19/7 on 55%FG in NBA history: Shaq
    List of rookies to ever average at least 18/7 on 50%FG in NBA history: Shaq, Walt Bellamy, Kareem, The Admiral, Tim Duncan, Marques Johnson, Magic, Hakeem, Adrian Dantley, Blake Griffin, Bill Cartwright, KAT, Alonzo Mourning, Ralph Sampson, Terry Dischinger, Terry Cummings.

This is good company to be in.

Zion registers at 0.0357 on the Baynes scale, 5 games in.

Just keep applying the pressure. Hopefully we take one of the next two. I’m banking on Houston

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    This game is what PERFECT shot selection looks like. Attack the rim relentlessly if they can't defend it. Show them no mercy with our pace. Sprinkle in a few wide open look 3's to keep them honest.

This is the game i have been waiting for all year. I can't think of any moments where I got upset (Except NAW's 10 turnovers in a row there at the end).

It looks like they are figuring it out FINALLY.

What's weird is, I swear that game started with two Zion TOs right out the gate..... yet he only has one TO on the box score......

What's weird is, I swear that game started with two Zion TOs right out the gate..... yet he only has one TO on the box score......
    Sometimes they re-assess stuff after games. Maybe they saw something weird with it and retroactively changed it? No idea.

I don't think the second one was his fault. It was a bad pass that went of of his hand. Joel said it was on him but the scorers must have seen it differently.

Thread Information