Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: 28th January - New Orleans Pelicans @ Cleveland Cavaliers - 18-29

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yes, second or third most athletic in this draft. Jax's primary physical attribute isn't his explosion (I can't remember what his vert is, but I'd imagine it's not insane), but his fluidity and coordination.

Clarke is better now, as a rookie, than Cunningham has ever been lol
    Didn't mean to imply Clarke was Cunningham, I just meant to create a spectrum.

I'll eat crow if he increases his 3pA while shooting above 36%. At that point he becomes a major positive value offensively. Through 13 games in January, however, he's shooting 20% on .8 attempts per game. Just basically a non existent 3p shot this month.

His athletic testing is much better than I thought. Eye test showed more stiffness to me, so I assumed.

Hayes can dunk from the free throw line, a lot of that has to come from his vertical and burst

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Didn't mean to imply Clarke was Cunningham, I just meant to create a spectrum.

I'll eat crow if he increases his 3pA while shooting above 36%. At that point he becomes a major positive value offensively. Through 13 games in January, however, he's shooting 20% on .8 attempts per game. Just basically a non existent 3p shot this month.

His athletic testing is much better than I thought. Eye test showed more stiffness to me, so I assumed.
    Fair enough. He's already a somewhat positive offensive player due to his absolutely elite tier finishing, his fantastic overall paint game (he's shooting something like 60% on floaters, which is bonkers) and his positive passing, but yeah, I did acknowledge that it's small sample size shooting. To me, the sign is that he shot basically none, ever, in college. So even shooting well on a small number of them now is an indicator (combined with his extremely good touch in general) that there's the potential to stretch.

My point isn't really that he's destined to be some kind of 40% 3pt shooter on 7 attempts a game or anything, it's just that it's hard to accept the ''he is now, what he will always be'' argument for someone who has already shown strong signs have having more to give. If he can be an even league-average 3pt shooter on some reasonable volume, maybe 2.5 a game, that's already being much more than he was at-time-of-draft.

The athletic testing is really incredible. I get that in a draft that has so many high tier athletes it sounds weird saying he's one of the top top few, but he legitimately is an incredible athlete. His functional athleticism is off the charts as well.
    Basketball.

Last year, the Pelicans ended the year as the 24th rank 3 Point Shooting team (%); this year our team is currently the third rated 2 point shooting team. Last year, nine of the Top 10 ended up in the playoffs (exception: Sacramento).

Now if we can just play defense.

BI posting a 47/40/85 year doesn't get talked about enough. elite efficiency for his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    BI posting a 47/40/85 year doesn't get talked about enough. elite efficiency for his age.
    .….and body type.

It should be noted that the only player to ever post a 45/45/90 season with greater than 500 3pA is Steph Curry (twice). JJ is currently at 45/47/89 and is on pace for about 550 3pa. He's having a historic season shooting the ball

It should be noted that the only player to ever post a 45/45/90 season with greater than 500 3pA is Steph Curry (twice). JJ is currently at 45/47/89 and is on pace for about 550 3pa. He's having a historic season shooting the ball
    Wow great stat

Keep JJ

He really has been a phenomenal shooter, for more than just this year of course but this year in particular.

Edit: this year is JJ's 2nd highest 3pt% ever, on his 2nd highest volume. The only year he took more 3PAs, he shot 7% worse than this, and the only year he was more efficient, he was taking over a full 3 per game less.

It's not at all a reach to say this is JJ Redick's career best shooting year. Which is nuts for a guy with a career as long as his, built around being a ridiculous shooter.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-29-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Last year, the Pelicans ended the year as the 24th rank 3 Point Shooting team (%); this year our team is currently the third rated 2 point shooting team. Last year, nine of the Top 10 ended up in the playoffs (exception: Sacramento).

Now if we can just play defense.

last season we were a top 4 offense before the trade deadline and defense was one of the reasons why we were not in the playoffs race around that time.......gentry can get the players to put the points up but the players have to put the effort into playing defense also....

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    you have to give gentry some of the credit for unleashing the beast....

Basketball Guru
    you have to give gentry some of the credit here also...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    you have to give gentry some of the credit here also...
    Why? Because giving the green light and gassing the pace? That's all on the player to make shot. Efficiency is all on the player is this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    If you are the consistent type and don't warp reality to fit your opinions, you have to give gentry some of the credit here also...
    Fix'd
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Thread Information