Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Western Conference Playoff Race for the 8

Found this interesting.
    We are all aware that the Pels have had the hardest schedule in the league to this point. I found some details on the situation that really puts it in perspective. To date, we have played 32 games (about to be 33) against teams that are over .500. Pretty much every team ahead of us in the west had only played 23-25 games against teams over .500 other than Portland with 29. In fact, only one other team has played more than 30 and that is Atlanta (also 32).

Against teams that are sub .500, we are 17-8.

....and then it was three.

GAME ON!!!!

FiveThirtyEight is giving us a 68% chance of making the playoffs, as of this morning.

Portland - 17%
    Memphis - 5%
    San Antonio - 4%
    Sacramento - 4%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...a-predictions/

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Even if we had just gone 5-8 or something, we'd be confidently in the 8th seed right now.
    3 games back.

3-10 would have us in the 8 seed, with the tiebreaker over memphis.

UPDATE:

In addition to losing Jaren Jackson for an undetermined time (at least 2 weeks) the Grizz now announce the following:

That's Brandon Clarke out too, for at least 2 weeks.

8th seed is WIDE open.
    Basketball.

UPDATE:

In addition to losing Jaren Jackson for an undetermined time (at least 2 weeks) the Grizz now announce the following:

That's Brandon Clarke out too, for at least 2 weeks.

8th seed is WIDE open.
    Indeed. Just taking care of the games we are supposed to win should be enough to make this a neck-and-neck race with the Grizzlies within the next couple of weeks. We'll have to see how quickly Lillard can get back out there for the Blazers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago75 View Post
    Found this interesting.
    We are all aware that the Pels have had the hardest schedule in the league to this point. I found some details on the situation that really puts it in perspective. To date, we have played 32 games (about to be 33) against teams that are over .500. Pretty much every team ahead of us in the west had only played 23-25 games against teams over .500 other than Portland with 29. In fact, only one other team has played more than 30 and that is Atlanta (also 32).

Against teams that are sub .500, we are 17-8.

The remaining stretch Pels are playing a lot of sub .500 teams. They have to win every single one of those games and win half of the ones against above .500 teams.

Good losses for us tonight.

Memphis lose 140-112 against Houston
    Spurs lose 109-103 against Dallas
    Suns lose 102-92 to the Clippers

Hopefully gentry doesnt lay an egg against Cavs. It's set up for us nicely to get 8th seed

24 games to go and only 3 games back. We will probably be comfortably in the 8th slot with a good 10 games left in the season.

Our biggest competition might be the Kings now that the Spurs have gone 3-7 and Portland and Memphis 4-6 in their last 10. Lol
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Chris Paul's managed to lead OKC to the 5th seed lol

Chris Paul has always been John Stockton. Since he broke Stockton’s steals record til today, he is just the ideal point guard. Sadly he just can’t get it done when it counts (like Stockton).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    24 games to go and only 3 games back. We will probably be comfortably in the 8th slot with a good 10 games left in the season.

Our biggest competition might be the Kings now that the Spurs have gone 3-7 and Portland and Memphis 4-6 in their last 10. Lol
    I see the Kings good stretch in these last 10. Still, I think the Blazers will ultimately be the team we are slugging it out with. Will all depend on how long Lillard misses.

Pels are up to a 68% chance of making the playoffs based on FiveThirtyEight's projections:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...a-predictions/

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Chris Paul has always been John Stockton. Since he broke Stockton’s steals record til today, he is just the ideal point guard. Sadly he just can’t get it done when it counts (like Stockton).
    I dont know if that's fair. He's been injury plagued in a way Stockton never was. Stockton couldn't get it done because ultimately, while Utah's regular seasons were highly effective, they were also marked by a progressively more stultified way of playing that didn't really elevate in the playoffs. By contrast, if it weren't for injuries there's a decent chance CP3 has a ring right now.

I dont know if that's fair. He's been injury plagued in a way Stockton never was. Stockton couldn't get it done because ultimately, while Utah's regular seasons were highly effective, they were also marked by a progressively more stultified way of playing that didn't really elevate in the playoffs. By contrast, if it weren't for injuries there's a decent chance CP3 has a ring right now.
    if not for jordan stockton has 2

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Maybe, but I don't think Stockton himself was the primary driver of that. He was always the second best player on the Jazz. Utah's offense never really took off until Malone hit his stride. CP3 > Stockton in my mind.

Also, Nash > Stockton, which is a debate a lot of people have.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    True story.

I would take Stockton over CP3 9 times a week.

Sloan’s system was great, hell, he maxed out his talent in Shanndon Anderson, Byron Russel, Greg Ostertag. Those Jazz teams were great, they just ran up against the GOAT.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Stockton did get it done. I love Jordan, but he cheated. He pushed off and the refs didnt call it.

It's like saying the Dodgers couldn't get it done against the Astros.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Stockton did get it done. I love Jordan, but he cheated. He pushed off and the refs didnt call it.

It's like saying the Dodgers couldn't get it done against the Astros.
    I agree about the push off and think that the Jazz should have won a title during the Stockton to Malone days (I was a Jazz fan from birth until the Hornets/Pelicans arrived). They had some very great teams, they just happened to play in the era of Jordan. I miss those days where both the East and the West had good teams. You had the Bulls and Knicks (and Pacers) in the East, and in the West you had the Rockets, Jazz, Suns, and Seattle (shout out to the Rain Man).

Hall of Famer
    Yeah this 8th seed might require4 more work than I thought

Kings have. a pulse

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Yeah this 8th seed might require4 more work than I thought

Kings have. a pulse
    Well kings faded in the clutch

Kings and Blazers both flatlined in the 2nd half!

Tomorrow we play the Cavs. Drummond is out, Exum is out, McKinnie is out.

It's on!

Spurs are done. Grizzlies are tanking. Portland will be too far behind us by the time they get healthy to make us sweat. It's really just us and the Kings, now. I'll take that race.

We are going around 14-1 to end the season. We'll have pulled away a boring three weeks before the season ends.

Thread Information