Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kobe Bryant Reportedly in Helicopter Crash

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

And now we get another source claiming that at least one of the other four victims was one of Kobe's daughters.
    For Media --> This is precisely why it's better to be right than first!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    For Media --> This is precisely why it's better to be right than first!
    Absolutely agree. Irresponsible for someone in a position of news distribution to leap to get information out before checking it. Because people will believe it, and understandably so. That's why there's a journalistic duty to meet those basic standards.
    Basketball.

Woj reporting that one of the other victims was also a player.

Woj reporting that one of the other victims was also a player.
    Sounds like possibly Gianna's teammate (i.e. not another NBA player).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Sounds like possibly Gianna's teammate.
    Yep, would make sense, what with the other parent being present.

Just a horrific tragedy, that people so young would be taken well before their time. You never want to hear about children passing.

This is insane.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I’m at a loss. It’s beyond words when I saw it.

The crash site is still smoking. Very tragic.

Man. It’s relatively safe in the air. But if anything on a helicopter fails or there are any mistakes by the driver whatsoever, it’s over. RIP

Is there any way you could link the tweet or something?
    This was the link but it was only partially corrrect

https://wnep.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bry...rom%20%251%24s

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Sounds like possibly Gianna's teammate (i.e. not another NBA player).
    There was a report it was Rick Fox but it's been confirmed he was not on board.
    https://wnep.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bry...rom%20%251%24s

Three men died the other day when thier C-130 crashed while fighting fires in Australia. Today, two young girls and thier fathers died in a helicopter crash while travelling to a basketball practice. The common thread is they were doing something they loved and trying to make a difference in people's lives. That should give peace to all that are grieving today. I tell my wife and daughter to think of these things should anything happen when we fly our missions. Do what you love. Make a difference in this world. Don't let anything or anybody hold you back. Because you just never know.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Wind patterns are hard to predict. I’m not traveling by air anymore. I’ll take the Amtrak on drive on America’s Interstate system.

R.I.P. Kobe. A sad day in history

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I remember hating Kobe when he played. He always used to destroy us on the court. But that hatred eventually turned into respect. The guy was the best at what he did and strived for excellence at all cost. The respect was so real, and it's terrible to hear this news. Complete loss of words.

RIP Kobe and Gianna.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Wind patterns are hard to predict. I’m not traveling by air anymore. I’ll take the Amtrak on drive on America’s Interstate system.

Way to early to speculate. You can't let fear dictate your life. Trains have just as deadly of a record as helicopters. I might slip in the shower and crack my skull. The winds of fate will carry you to your final destination and their is nothing you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Way to early to speculate. You can't let fear dictate your life. Trains have just as deadly of a record as helicopters. I might slip in the shower and crack my skull. The winds of fate will carry you to your final destination and their is nothing you can do about it.
    Yeah I agree. I just don’t know about these helicopters and small planes anymore. But you are right. Life can change instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

From what I've found, it was fog in a mountainous/hilly area. So the pilot basically flew into some hills due to very low visibility.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I could not believe it at first. Then I thought maybe there was someone in the crash whose name was Kobe Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    From what I've found, it was fog in a mountainous/hilly area. So the pilot basically flew into some hills due to very low visibility.
    Speculation. Spatial disorientation is a possibility, but we had a dear friend fly into a mountain on instrument approach at Subic Bay....his instruments were not giving him correct information. Buster was a great pilot.

Speculation. Spatial disorientation is a possibility, but we had a dear friend fly into a mountain on instrument approach at Subic Bay....his instruments were not giving him correct information. Buster was a great pilot.
    Multiple sources familiar with piloting a helicopter said before the crash, the copter was moving at such a slow speed that instrumentation could not be used. Speed wise the last few witnesses said the thing was basically in a drifting hover and it seemed like the pilot was disoriented because of the low clouds/fog in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Multiple sources familiar with piloting a helicopter said before the crash, the copter was moving at such a slow speed that instrumentation could not be used. Speed wise the last few witnesses said the thing was basically in a drifting hover and it seemed like the pilot was disoriented because of the low clouds/fog in the area.
    Hitting the side of a hill at 184mph is not hovering but I wasn't there and am not part of the investigation. Might be a year before that report is released. Preliminary report should be in about 10 days.

Hitting the side of a hill at 184mph is not hovering but I wasn't there and am not part of the investigation. Might be a year before that report is released. Preliminary report should be in about 10 days.
    I'm not talking about at impact. I'm talking about people who actually witnessed the thing in the air before that. I said "before the crash." Plus what little data is available confirms the same.

Last edited by luckyman; 01-27-2020 at 06:52 PM.

First, this is simply tragic.

Second, why not just get some elevation if you know there are hills in the area? Just seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    First, this is simply tragic.

Second, why not just get some elevation if you know there are hills in the area? Just seems odd.
    If he was flying VFR in soupy weather and not looking at his instruments...this is the result. If he was flying IFR...maybe his instruments were not calibrated or working correctly. Too early to speculate.

Thread Information