Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye #8 seed

Goodbye #8 seed

Looks like we are throwing in towel on 8 seed to focus on Zion’s future. Let’s hope this works.

We were playing very well without Zion (and Jrue for that matter) so I’m not overly concerned with this. If we missed the 8th seed because we brought in a good haul with trades, I can live with that. If we lose the 8th seed and don’t get anything from the deadline, I’d be very disappointed in everyone involved.

We were already on track for the 8th seed without Zion. It’s just a matter of is Jrue a square peg or not. In the sample size since returning, I stand by my opinion that he stops the ball.

Nah, not to me.

The eighth seed is still in grasp. The teams jostling for 8th seed are all in the hemisphere of beating up on each other.

We survive this week and we definitely have the perfect storm of going on a nice winning streak in the February/March schedule as Zion ramps up more in minutes.

Stay in it man. We ain’t out!

[THREAD SAVED TO BE BUMPED IN APRIL]
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

My view on this is pretty simple.

At this point, my priority #1 is Zion, priority #2 is examining the fit of the other players around Zion, and priority #3 is having fun.

Making the playoffs is a good bonus if it happens, and it's still possible. But it is no longer my focus, and I don't mind that.

Development, development, development.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Why bump it? Pin it! Maybe reverse Jinx?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

At this point, my priority #1 is Zion, priority #2 is examining the fit of the other players around Zion, and priority #3 is having fun.

Making the playoffs is a good bonus if it happens, and it's still possible. But it is no longer my focus, and I don't mind that.

Yep. Another priority might be finding a better HC.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Yep. Another priority might be finding a better HC.
    If we do replace Gentry at season’s end, hopefully the next one is ready from the gate. They should have had this year to grow with the squad. Our next guy will be thrown into the fire unfortunately (if or FO even decides to get rid of Alvin in the first place).

They are still 4.5 games back of Memphis. Still need to play them and SA 3 more times.

The 8th seed is still very much still in grasp.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I complain a lot, but i'll try to play Devil's Advocate here.

The way the team is constructed, we would get swept in the first round anyways.

Should we mortgage our future for a few games of getting blown out?

The coaching has not been good at all. You really see the difference when you play a team like the Spurs. They are unflappable. Every time we tried to mount a comeback they snuffed it out.

We have Favors and Zion as big bodies. That's it. You can't win with just 2.

Jah is not good.

Jax is not ready. He needs to add a lot of weight. I am 6'0 and I outweigh him by 6 pounds. I am an average normal size guy.

Ingram needs to hire a nutritionist. He and Jax need to be eating like 6 meals a day. He should be a rebounding machine with his wingspan, but gets bodied every time.

Jrue is so inconsistent that we ALWAYS lose if he has an off night. Not because we need him to be good, but because when he is bad he is REAL BAD. He is not a true SG.

We have good pieces that need a full season and off season to really compete. Yes, we can steal a game here or there, but that is just a mirage. We are not ready.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    They are still 4.5 games back of Memphis. Still need to play them and SA 3 more times.

4.5 games isn't insurmountable by any means, but it's also not an insignificant gap when you only have 36 games left to play.

The problem is that the way we're currently approaching games seems to be ''it's not a huge deal if we lost, it's only one game, next game we'll do the same thing''. And while it's obviously superficially true that it's ''only one game'', if you ''only one game'' it enough times it suddenly stops being one game and starts being a losing trend.

The 8th seed is still very much in grasp, sure, but that's only until it isn't. Again, sounds superficial, but it's a reality that has to be considered. We can't keep throwing away winnable games; our last 3 losses were all completely winnable in those final quarter, and Boston is going to be a real challenge. If we lose in Boston, we will be 1-4 in our last 5 games. At some point you have to call it quits; when you're 4.5 games back, sure, but what about 6.5? If we end up being 8 games back of the 8th seed with 15 games to play or something, and we're still running 12 guys in games and pouring heavy minutes into the vets, then there's something very wrong with our strategy.

4.5 games isn't insurmountable by any means, but it's also not an insignificant gap when you only have 36 games left to play.

The problem is that the way we're currently approaching games seems to be ''it's not a huge deal if we lost, it's only one game, next game we'll do the same thing''. And while it's obviously superficially true that it's ''only one game'', if you ''only one game'' it enough times it suddenly stops being one game and starts being a losing trend.

The 8th seed is still very much in grasp, sure, but that's only until it isn't. Again, sounds superficial, but it's a reality that has to be considered. We can't keep throwing away winnable games; our last 3 losses were all completely winnable in those final quarter, and Boston is going to be a real challenge. If we lose in Boston, we will be 1-4 in our last 5 games. At some point you have to call it quits; when you're 4.5 games back, sure, but what about 6.5? If we end up being 8 games back of the 8th seed with 15 games to play or something, and we're still running 12 guys in games and pouring heavy minutes into the vets, then there's something very wrong with our strategy.
    Spot on. I still have faith we will steal the 8th seed, but we really needed to take at least one of the last 2. Now we are in a position where we have to upset a very very good Boston side. And then Houston. And then so on. Time for the guys to lock down and get their heads on straight. We were comical at times against Denver. Just need better

Well nobody claims its insignificant. But its also a fact that 4.5 games in mid January is NOT a large gap by any means. Especially when you still have to play each team closest to that spot 3 more times. I'm pretty sure the 2015 team made up a 4 game gap in the last 2/3 weeks of the season. THere is still AMPLE time to make those 4.5 games up. The important thing now is for them to start trending up and winning games at home.

And it really doesnt matter which attitude the fans take. I'm 100% certain the actual team is trying their best to win every game. I typed this yesterday, but all you need to do is go listen to Griff on that Woj pod after the San Antonio game.

Wouldn’t that be something! That game we folded vs Spurs be the game that keeps us back from the 8 seed.

Well nobody claims its insignificant. But its also a fact that 4.5 games in mid January is NOT a large gap by any means. Especially when you still have to play each team closest to that spot 3 more times. I'm pretty sure the 2015 team made up a 4 game gap in the last 2/3 weeks of the season. THere is still AMPLE time to make those 4.5 games up. The important thing now is for them to start trending up and winning games at home.

And it really doesnt matter which attitude the fans take. I'm 100% certain the actual team is trying their best to win every game. I typed this yesterday, but all you need to do is go listen to Griff on that Woj pod after the San Antonio game.

And Gentry is saying something completely different. Glad we (Griff&Gentry)are on the same page.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 01-25-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Wait we lost to Denver without 3 of their starters and no HC(tossed) too? Lose to Boston and we are a on a lonely losing streak again.

And Gentry is saying something completely different. Glad we (Griff&Gentry)are on the same page.
    That’s what happens when you don’t let a GM clean house

Griff is 100% on board with limiting Zion's minutes. He even said on the Woj pod that he doesnt care how much the coaches might gripe about it.

That still doesnt mean he wants the team to drop games and was highly disappointed in the SA loss.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    It won't

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    That’s what happens when you don’t let a GM clean house
    I think Mythrol is right .Gentry is gone regardless at end of season.

Griff is 100% on board with limiting Zion's minutes. He even said on the Woj pod that he doesnt care how much the coaches might gripe about it.

That still doesnt mean he wants the team to drop games and was highly disappointed in the SA loss.

And Gentry was griping about it . See that Sean Payton & Drew Brees comment he made after Spursloss. The fact Griff. Don’t care about it is a hint change could come soon.

Yeah but that's exactly what I'm talking about. We're not trending up, we're trending down right now, and losing games at home; and worse than that, losing highly winnable games. Like I said, if we lose to Boston at home next game, we'll be 1-4 in our last 5 games. That's trending sharply down.

Before the schedule eases up, there's still some rough stuff to go through: Houston, Milwaukee, OKC, Boston, Indiana, all before all-star break. Those are all very realistic losses, and if that kind of thing happens we won't be 4.5 games behind. We'll be 7 games behind, or 8. Would it still be possible to make up that gap before the end of the year? Mathematically, sure; Miami started the 2016-17 season 11-30 and finished up 30-11 and almost made the playoffs; it's always possible to go on a crazy run and close up big gaps quickly. But that would require a different set of priorities to the ones I personally think we should have if we're 7 or 8 games out of 8th with so few games left to play.

And yeah, I'd expect the team itself to try their best to win every game. I don't think any team actually takes the floor trying to lose, or at least, the teams that do are extremely rare. But it's possible to take the floor trying to win, while also prioritising development over sure-fire vets.

I agree with this 100%

Yeah but that's exactly what I'm talking about. We're not trending up, we're trending down right now, and losing games at home; and worse than that, losing highly winnable games. Like I said, if we lose to Boston at home next game, we'll be 1-4 in our last 5 games. That's trending sharply down.

Before the schedule eases up, there's still some rough stuff to go through: Houston, Milwaukee, OKC, Boston, Indiana, all before all-star break. Those are all very realistic losses, and if that kind of thing happens we won't be 4.5 games behind. We'll be 7 games behind, or 8. Would it still be possible to make up that gap before the end of the year? Mathematically, sure; Miami started the 2016-17 season 11-30 and finished up 30-11 and almost made the playoffs; it's always possible to go on a crazy run and close up big gaps quickly. But that would require a different set of priorities to the ones I personally think we should have if we're 7 or 8 games out of 8th with so few games left to play.

And yeah, I'd expect the team itself to try their best to win every game. I don't think any team actually takes the floor trying to lose, or at least, the teams that do are extremely rare. But it's possible to take the floor trying to win, while also prioritising development over sure-fire vets.
    The Celtics are very banged up. They only had 11 active players for the last game, of which 5 were rookies. Kanter is out for the Pelicans game (hip). Tatum is probably not playing (groin pull). No word on whether Brown (thumb and ankle) will be back. Kemba (knee) and Hayward (hand and foot) both are playing with injuries. Robert Williams is also out (hip). They only have one active center who has any real experience unless Grant Williams -a short power forward- counts as a center.

Smart finally looks healthy though.

Thread Information