Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: 24th January - New Orleans Pelicans vs Denver Nuggets - 17-28

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Drummond's shooting 60% from the FT line, and for him that's a career high.

Favors is shooting 59% from the FT line, and for him that's comfortably under his career average. He shot 67% from the line over 554 games in Utah, for example.

So I think that while what they're putting up right now is fairly similar from the line, there's a reasonable expectation for Favors to trend back up towards his usual standards, whereas for Drummond this is an outlier in the positive sense and it's more likely that he'll trend down, if anything. That could totally be wrong, of course, Drummond has improved his FT shooting in general over the last 2 seasons, but that's my thought process.

Also, Favors is a better defender than Drummond by a fairly significant margin tbh.
    Favors is a better defender w/caveat ! He's 6'9 1/2, which means his defense of 7'0" would definitely lower his effectiveness, pertaining to being better than Drummond. I do believe Drummond would be much more affective against Jokic than Fave was/is

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Yea he would decline that player option pistons reporters says

So he would want to get paid this summmer
    He would decline the option because he doesn't want to play in Detroit anymore. Drummond is not gonna get more than 30 million from anybody. Sign him to a 3yr 90 million w/ 3rd yr option.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Favors is a better defender w/caveat ! He's 6'9 1/2, which means his defense of 7'0" would definitely lower his effectiveness, pertaining to being better than Drummond. I do believe Drummond would be much more affective against Jokic than Fave was/is
    That might be totally true, but I'm talking about defense in general rather than this specific matchup.
    Basketball.

That might be totally true, but I'm talking about defense in general rather than this specific matchup.
    Me personally, I've been trying to wish Meyers Leonard here for 2yrs.

Jrue Holiday's last 5 games points scored--12,19,36,12,12

Not doing much else to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Jrue Holiday's last 5 games points scored--12,19,36,12,12

Not doing much else to make up for it.
    True dat. And then you got Chucker Twuan running around guarding nobody & being permanant ball stopper.

Not a fan of that. I like Drummond more than some, but I don't think he fits this team very well at all. I get that he'd go a long way towards solving the rebounding issue, but he'd make our FT issue even worse, and he'd hurt the spacing on offense a lot.
    Totally agree!! We need a big that will spread the court not constrict it. The minute we won the lottery I started touting Brook Lopez (who would have been an ideal fit), but alas, he re-upped with the Bucks. I even said we could get Maxi Kleber or Frank Kaminsky on the cheap. We have to open up the driving lanes and not clog them up. Drummonds would be an upgrade, but a poor fit.

BTW: Assuming Vincent stays with the club, JAX should work out with him everyday this summer. His shot has potential.
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-24-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Totally agree!! We need a big that will spread the court not constrict it. The minute we won the lottery I started touting Brook Lopez (who would have been an ideal fit), but alas, he re-upped with the Bucks. I even said we could get Maxi Kleber or Frank Kaminsky on the cheap. We have to open up the driving lanes and not clog them up. Drummonds would be an upgrade, but a poor fit.
    Kaminsky is a horrible defender. If you're gonna tout Frank the Tank & Kleber, Meyers Leonard should be a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Kaminsky is a horrible defender. If you're gonna tout Frank the Tank & Kleber, Meyers Leonard should be a dream come true.
    Meyers Leonard wasn't a free agent last year.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Meyers Leonard wasn't a free agent last year.
    I'm not seeing anywhere that I said that. I said Meyers Leonard should be a dream come true for you if you were touting Frank the Tank & Kleber. Didn't reference any player status.

I’ll say this . We miss Free Throws when the arena is quiet too.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I’ll say this . We miss Free Throws when the arena is quiet too.
    That is a stunning acknowledgment ! WOWWW Weee !

This team loses at their own request. A TERRIBLE defense, no Energy and effort. We just gave up this game. It was supposed to be beautiful, and it is as always ... #PelsLife

Quick thoughts

-Favors doesn’t seem right to me. Lift, lateral movement ability to anchor on post defense all seem compromised. Hurting us on defense. Probably his back is still bothering him.

-Team is going to need time to adjust to Zion. Maybe it’s just all the hype and media attention or maybe he shifts the mechanism enough to throw things out of whack, but whatever it is our rhythm has been disrupted on both ends of the floor.

-We need to figure out our rebounding philosophy. Are we going to find a man and box out or crash the boards? Are we going to tell the guards to get back on defense or help rebound? Is it just lack of hustle or is it scheme or poor technique? Watching Josh Hart’s hustle on the boards is inspiring. Everyone else seems kind of meh about it. Either they are getting back on defense or getting out on the break or they seem to be ball watching while the other team sprints to get there. It’s hurting us. Zion needs to be a big part of this equation going forward. Need him to be ferocious rebounder for a team that lacks size and toughness.

-Denver did everything to maximize their chances. Shot 100% from the line, killed us on second chance points, didn’t turn the ball over. We did everything to minimize our chances. Were lousy from the line, gave the ball away, gave up second and third shots. Lousy and Disappointing.

Preseason Zion wasn't a fluke he can legit shoot 70% We have never seen anything like this from the forward position.Ingram and Jrue are having a hard time finding chemistry with Zion.Lonzo meshes perfectly with him and should be on the floor with him in the few minutes that he plays. The fit looks bad so far the spacing is poor Ingram looks really confused when he's on the floor with Zion.Zion is the #1 option and Ingram and Jrue are having problems adjusting so far.The problem is both of those guys need the ball to play their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wecandothis View Post
    Preseason Zion wasn't a fluke he can legit shoot 70% We have never seen anything like this from the forward position.Ingram and Jrue are having a hard time finding chemistry with Zion.Lonzo meshes perfectly with him and should be on the floor with him in the few minutes that he plays. The fit looks bad so far the spacing is poor Ingram looks really confused when he's on the floor with Zion.Zion is the #1 option and Ingram and Jrue are having problems adjusting so far.The problem is both of those guys need the ball to play their game.
    Totally agree. I don't know if it will be possible for Zion to shoot 70% from the floor for a full year, because obviously 3pt shots plus the inevitable occasional bad games that everyone has, but he can easily be a 60%FG guy despite the volume and despite adding 3s to his game. His touch is just that insane at the rim.

To all the people out there who think Zion is only a dunker: Zion shot 74.7% on none-dunk 2 pointers at Duke. So no dunks at all, 74.7%. Hell, he even shot 47% on 2pt jump shots, admittedly on a pretty small sample size but still, that's good.

I agree about the spacing; I think part of that is that Ingram is going through a dry patch (under 30% 3pt shooting over the last 4 games) and hopefully he can figure that out soon and use Zion's gravity as a way to get better shots for himself. His decision making has crashed into the floor during this stretch, and he needs to pick it back up. But I also think a part of the spacing problem is that Zion has still pretty much not played with Redick on the floor at all, really. Usually Redick is the sub for Zion, which is a huge schematic change and doesn't really make sense structurally. It would be much better to give them some time together, for spacing purposes.

About both Jrue and Ingram needing to ball to play their game; there's some truth to that, but I feel like it shouldn't be such a huge deal. Firstly, Zion doesn't really need to ball that much to play his game. Obviously, you want to give it to him more than he got it at Duke to develop his ball handling and passing game, which has already shown high potential, but he can do a lot of work off-ball. And of course, Ingram's shooting is actually at its best off-ball; he's a brilliant catch and shoot guy, but a really poor off-the-dribble guy. So they should be able to do some work without worry about who gets the most on-ball time, but for some reason Jrue and Ingram are both just playing like they're the rookie, not Zion.

Zion Williamson 2019-20 (per 100): 44.2 points, 15.5 rebounds, 3.6 assists. 78.7% TS
    Zion Williamson at Duke (per 100): 41.2 points, 16.2 rebounds, 3.8 assists. 70.2% TS

Wow it's almost like being an all-time great dominant player at college is a sign that you might be good at basketball.

Obviously this sample size is minuscule, but still. It wouldn't surprise me if his numbers stayed ridiculously impressive, even if not quite this impressive per 100.

It's worth noting that at college he averaged loads more blocks and steals than he's putting up so far in the NBA so the likelihood is that we see a slight drop in the scoring rate and a slight tick up in the stocks.

Both Ingram and Jrue have just missed shots they were making. Not surprised about Jrue. When Cousins first got here, Jrue looked the EXACT same as he does now.

Problem is he has been up and down all year and as one of the vets, the team cant afford that from him.

This team will need to move on from Jrue this year or next without a doubt. Cant be blinded when he plays well for a couple games either. Bad Jrue will be back.

Ingram is just young and I'm confident he will get his game back to consistency again soon.

They honestly just need to play a bad team like a live practice run to recalibrate. Unfortunately, the so called "weak" schedule isnt so until February and really not until March.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Quick thoughts

-Favors doesn’t seem right to me. Lift, lateral movement ability to anchor on post defense all seem compromised. Hurting us on defense. Probably his back is still bothering him.

-Team is going to need time to adjust to Zion. Maybe it’s just all the hype and media attention or maybe he shifts the mechanism enough to throw things out of whack, but whatever it is our rhythm has been disrupted on both ends of the floor.

-We need to figure out our rebounding philosophy. Are we going to find a man and box out or crash the boards? Are we going to tell the guards to get back on defense or help rebound? Is it just lack of hustle or is it scheme or poor technique? Watching Josh Hart’s hustle on the boards is inspiring. Everyone else seems kind of meh about it. Either they are getting back on defense or getting out on the break or they seem to be ball watching while the other team sprints to get there. It’s hurting us. Zion needs to be a big part of this equation going forward. Need him to be ferocious rebounder for a team that lacks size and toughness.

-Denver did everything to maximize their chances. Shot 100% from the line, killed us on second chance points, didn’t turn the ball over. We did everything to minimize our chances. Were lousy from the line, gave the ball away, gave up second and third shots. Lousy and Disappointing.
    You bring up rebounding. We smoked Denver the last two times because we were able to get out in transition. Today that actually worked against us because we were more concerned with getting transition buckets than boxing out. It’s just something that Denver adjusted to and we didn’t really correct the problem. Also have to make free throws. Big big crutch

I would love to see a small ball lineup of

Zo
    JJ
    Hart
    Ingram
    Zion

But we won’t be able to give that lineup much time to gel because we feel like Holiday has to be on the floor. We need to trade Jrue and Favors for someone like Wendell Carter Jr or Al Horford

Thread Information