Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Griff. is still shopping

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    with the trade deadline closing in, I have seen this name pop up from a couple different sources, and the thought really interests me.... dealing with the Kings once again and this time for Nemanja Bjelica...possibly available for picks and maybe the inclusion of Darius Miller in some way... a sturdy looking 6'10" with a very reliable outside shot and the ability to pass the ball too.... 31 years old, but definitely worth a gander if we are serious about this year....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    with the trade deadline closing in, I have seen this name pop up from a couple different sources, and the thought really interests me.... dealing with the Kings once again and this time for Nemanja Bjelica...possibly available for picks and maybe the inclusion of Darius Miller in some way... a sturdy looking 6'10" with a very reliable outside shot and the ability to pass the ball too.... 31 years old, but definitely worth a gander if we are serious about this year....
    Not interested, tbh. Like you said, would cost picks, and he's 31. I'm not thinking about this year at all, not in any serious way. I'm not giving up any future assets in the hope to win this year.
    Basketball.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Not interested, tbh. Like you said, would cost picks, and he's 31. I'm not thinking about this year at all, not in any serious way. I'm not giving up any future assets in the hope to win this year.
    you might well be right, because you usually are, but I can still see this team making some kind of move for a veteran big... I guess time will tell...

Would take him in a heartbeat. He is a perfect fit. A true stretch 4 who can play some D. He would be a Mirotic-type pickup. His contract next season is very nice as well (about $7 million). I would not give up any 1sts, but a 2nd or 2 with Miller or something like Jackson and Miller would not be out of the question. Kings have a ton of 2nd rounders though, so they may not be overly interested in 2nd rounders.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We better not move Favors. I want to resign Favors and keep Lonzo and BI long term. I think we need better off the ball defenders. Our defense is pretty weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Would take him in a heartbeat. He is a perfect fit. A true stretch 4 who can play some D. He would be a Mirotic-type pickup. His contract next season is very nice as well (about $7 million). I would not give up any 1sts, but a 2nd or 2 with Miller or something like Jackson and Miller would not be out of the question. Kings have a ton of 2nd rounders though, so they may not be overly interested in 2nd rounders.
    He's not really a great defender, is the issue. He's pretty serviceable in a limited role but he has huge issues in space, and his team D is kinda meh. Definitely not bad, I'm not saying that, but not the kind of guy who I think of as worth a FRP, and that's what I think it would cost to get him.

Like you said, if it's 2nds, then I'm more interested, but I'm working with the assumption that they want a first, which I think is semi-plausible.

He's not really a great defender, is the issue. He's pretty serviceable in a limited role but he has huge issues in space, and his team D is kinda meh. Definitely not bad, I'm not saying that, but not the kind of guy who I think of as worth a FRP, and that's what I think it would cost to get him.

Like you said, if it's 2nds, then I'm more interested, but I'm working with the assumption that they want a first, which I think is semi-plausible.
    Yeah, I wouldn't give up a 1st. However, his defense is decent enough to keep him on the court some without being a liability (as some stretch 4s are).

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    You pretty much have the same player in Nico who is playing very well lately.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    I say we fly to Spain & have 2 Nico's. Let us also not forget that Didi will be in the rotatation next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Wecandothis View Post
    You pretty much have the same player in Nico who is playing very well lately.
    Yeah.

A month or ago I would have felt differently but he has been playing better now that he is stuck having to role play as EuroFavors.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

For Gawd's sake, just play Melli. It's obvious that he has a nose for the ball, spreads the court, is a positive influence when he's played, and KNOWS THE GAME.
    Last edited by As I See It; 02-01-2020 at 12:24 AM.

I do think we could use a little at the F/C spot. Especially someone other than Favors who isn't a rookie and at least is sorta reliable defensively.

We've got Miller's contract, but I don't see the guy out there who is in that salary range that a team would be willing to let go for 2nds. Baynes would be perfect if PHX weren't still competitive, Crowder is from another rival... Maybe being the dumping ground for Olynyk or Meyers Leonard if the Heat make a big move?

Henson probably sucks too much... Am I missing anybody?

Frankly I wouldn't touch the current rotation guys (Moore included), or the rooks unless the trade was too good to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I do think we could use a little at the F/C spot. Especially someone other than Favors who isn't a rookie and at least is sorta reliable defensively.

We've got Miller's contract, but I don't see the guy out there who is in that salary range that a team would be willing to let go for 2nds. Baynes would be perfect if PHX weren't still competitive, Crowder is from another rival... Maybe being the dumping ground for Olynyk or Meyers Leonard if the Heat make a big move?

Henson probably sucks too much... Am I missing anybody?

Frankly I wouldn't touch the current rotation guys (Moore included), or the rooks unless the trade was too good to pass up.
    What about one of the Morris brothers?

I don't think we are going to do anything...at this point too much team chemistry has been built and it shows. They enjoy playing with one another. This time last year, I was ready to end my relationship with this franchise. Now? Oh my has that worm turned.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    What about one of the Morris brothers?

Markief is do not touch.

Marcus is still a little crazy and so is the Knicks asking price for him. He's their best player. He can also be a bit of a chucker at times, but I can't lie he'd be a great addition to our core 6 players. If we could get him for Moore, Miller and 2nds in a 3 way deal I'd probably do it. But I doubt we could.

I think a three team deal with Atlanta and Sacramento could be beneficial for all involved.

I would propose:

Atlanta: Favors, our 2020 2nd and Washington's 2020 2nd
    Kings: Brooklyns lotto protected 1st (via ATL), Moore, Frank, Miller, Cleveland's top ten protected 1st.
    Pelicans: Bogdanovic, Dedmon

Atlanta gets a hometown starting caliber center that they know can make an impact on a young team. The can resign for a reasonable price this summer. All they have to do is exchange a mid/late first for two decent seconds. They have been shopping for defensive anchors who can't shoot. Favors will be less expensive than Drummond, Adams, or Capela and can hit a mid-range jumper.

Kings make the deal because they get a cheap young shooter/prospect (Frank), a first this year and two valuable seconds (Cavs 2nds 21/22), Miller/Moore (relatively cheap shooters/vets) that can be expirings or resigned/kept. They trade away a wing who they won't pay this summer and a big who is making $13 mil and not playing because they have too many young bigs.

The Pelicans get a starting caliber shooting card who can flat out shoot the ball, operate in PNR, has a ton of experience NBA/Euro, and can replace Jrue on a much cheaper contract. Dedmon offers slightly worse defense than Fav but much better fit offensively. He hit 38% of his threes last year with Atlanta and is going to be less expensive than Favors. He is only under contract through next year with a team option for 21 so he can be used as an expiring next year or or the year after depending on how we feel about the development of Zion, Hayes, and any other bigs we may acquire via draft or trade.

I really value Bogdanovic's game next to Zo/BI/Zion. Jrue has been great, but is an inconsistent scorer/shooter, always has been. He's expensive now and will be even more expensive if through some miracle he opted out and resigned with us in 2021. I would take less than fair trade value to move him to a contender in the east (heat,nets,raptors,Boston) and if he doesn't remain there long term or win a championship, I would induct him into Pelicans HOF.

Your core would be:
    Zo/Ingram/Zion. (Hayes/Bogdanovic can fit into this category or the next)
    Players with potential to be core pieces or trade bait to add to core:
    Hart, NAW, 2020 1st Rd pick
    Vets: JJ, Dedmon,Melli,MLE free agent
    This is a very solid team in addition to whatever we get in a Jrue trade, our stash of Lakers picks and owning all of our future picks.
    Last edited by UNPELIEVABLE; 02-03-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNPELIEVABLE View Post
    I think a three team deal with Atlanta and Sacramento could be beneficial for all involved.

I would propose:

Atlanta: Favors, our 2020 2nd and Washington's 2020 2nd
    Kings: Brooklyns lotto protected 1st (via ATL), Moore, Frank, Miller, Cleveland's top ten protected 1st.
    Pelicans: Bogdanovic, Dedmon

Atlanta gets a hometown starting caliber center that they know can make an impact on a young team. The can resign for a reasonable price this summer. All they have to do is exchange a mid/late first for two decent seconds. They have been shopping for defensive anchors who can't shoot. Favors will be less expensive than Drummond, Adams, or Capela and can hit a mid-range jumper.

Kings make the deal because they get a cheap young shooter/prospect (Frank), a first this year and two valuable seconds (Cavs 2nds 21/22), Miller/Moore (relatively cheap shooters/vets) that can be expirings or resigned/kept. They trade away a wing who they won't pay this summer and a big who is making $13 mil and not playing because they have too many young bigs.

The Pelicans get a starting caliber shooting card who can flat out shoot the ball, operate in PNR, has a ton of experience NBA/Euro, and can replace Jrue on a much cheaper contract. Dedmon offers slightly worse defense than Fav but much better fit offensively. He hit 38% of his threes last year with Atlanta and is going to be less expensive than Favors. He is only under contract through next year with a team option for 21 so he can be used as an expiring next year or or the year after depending on how we feel about the development of Zion, Hayes, and any other bigs we may acquire via draft or trade.

I really value Bogdanovic's game next to Zo/BI/Zion. Jrue has been great, but is an inconsistent scorer/shooter, always has been. He's expensive now and will be even more expensive if through some miracle he opted out and resigned with us in 2021. I would take less than fair trade value to move him to a contender in the east (heat,nets,raptors,Boston) and if he doesn't remain there long term or win a championship, I would induct him into Pelicans HOF.

Your core would be:
    Zo/Ingram/Zion. (Hayes/Bogdanovic can fit into this category or the next)
    Players with potential to be core pieces or trade bait to add to core:
    Hart, NAW, 2020 1st Rd pick
    Vets: JJ, Dedmon,Melli,MLE free agent
    This is a very solid team in addition to whatever we get in a Jrue trade, our stash of Lakers picks and owning all of our future picks.
    The Pels would have to be committed to paying Bogdanovich a big contract for this deal to make sense. Not sure that makes a lot of sense.

I think we are shopping these players and everyone else will stay:

Moore, Frank Jackson, Okafor, Melli, and Darius Miller. These players would be great for add ons in 3-team deals for us to collect picks and expiring salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I think we are shopping these players and everyone else will stay:

Moore, Frank Jackson, Okafor, Melli, and Darius Miller. These players would be great for add ons in 3-team deals for us to collect picks and expiring salary.
    I'm not sure we are shopping anyone other than maybe Miller's contract. However, of that group I really don't think we would be shopping Melli so soon after convincing him to come overseas.

From Windhorst-
    Rather than selling, the Pelicans may actually be interested in acquiring another veteran player at the deadline, according to Windhorst, who said on The Lowe Post that New Orleans believes its early-season struggles could be attributed in part to how young the team’s roster was.

Knicks - Miller, Jackson, 2nd
    Pels - Elfrid Payton

His high assist low turnover style of play while pushing pace would be a plus off the bench & would allow Jrue more time playing the 2/3.

Quote Originally Posted by MG3n2K9 View Post
    Knicks - Miller, Jackson, 2nd
    Pels - Elfrid Payton

His high assist low turnover style of play while pushing pace would be a plus off the bench & would allow Jrue more time playing the 2/3.
    Yesterday, I wrote:

"I wished we still had Elfrid Payton.

In fact. I would trade Holiday right now to the Knicks for Elfrid and their 2020 # 1 yesterday if I could."

That #1 would likely be a top five pick. It's sad we didn't offer Elfrid this past off season, he would have been a great bench jockey.

I'd like to see us add Davis Bertans and lock him up for several years. He'd be a great fit, but would cost us quite a few assets

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Yesterday, I wrote:

"I wished we still had Elfrid Payton.

In fact. I would trade Holiday right now to the Knicks for Elfrid and their 2020 # 1 yesterday if I could."

That #1 would likely be a top five pick. It's sad we didn't offer Elfrid this past off season, he would have been a great bench jockey.
    You're more than likely getting two bench players in this trade considering how poor this years draft is. Unless you get the #1 pick, this isn't even close to enough value for Jrue.

Thread Information