Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Griff. is still shopping

I could definitely see a team like the Mavs or Clippers calling about Jah as an end of the bench big. Philly could really use Etwaun as well. Those are the type of guys I believe the pels may be "selling".

Pels in a tough spot here.

Sure selling would be smart to do a real rebuild for the future, but you want to see how the team react with Zion back and whether they can realistically get the 8 spot.

Still no one should be aiming for the 8 spot and 7 is too far to make up. You end up ruining your own draft pick and you wont get anything for Favors, Moore and JJ this year.

Quote Originally Posted by doubled1986 View Post
    Pels in a tough spot here.

Sure selling would be smart to do a real rebuild for the future, but you want to see how the team react with Zion back and whether they can realistically get the 8 spot.

Still no one should be aiming for the 8 spot and 7 is too far to make up. You end up ruining your own draft pick and you wont get anything for Favors, Moore and JJ this year.
    Selling for what, though? Right now we have all the young pieces we need, we just need time to develop them. If we make a move at all, it should be for the right veteran role player. No moves for young players need to be made right now. I think we should be sitting tight, and take our best swing at the 8th seed while giving the young guys playing time. I can't see us selling right now, because I don't know what we'd get that would improve our position from where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I could definitely see a team like the Mavs or Clippers calling about Jah as an end of the bench big. Philly could really use Etwaun as well. Those are the type of guys I believe the pels may be "selling".

Ahhhh OK. My bad. I was assuming you meant JJ or Favors.....but I get you, now. We're at the point where Moore and Jah won't get much playing time. Jah is still young. He may be worth hanging on to. But if we aren't packaging him for a better player, might as well move Moore for a pick and call Cheatham or someone up.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    If you're close minded as a front office then you'll never win. We're in the process of building assets while also trying to win. Sure, JJ will obviously help you win more than any rookie in this years class would. But adding JJ in a trade for a superstar will never move the needle as much as draft picks would. Every move is not about winning right now.

Griff can say that draft picks are not a priority for this team all he wants, but he's gonna want those picks available to him when Dame Lillard requests a trade. You can't look at each move in a vacuum. Don't fall into that trap.
    Don't need the lecture. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that I don't understand the landscape. This team is very close to being a contender now. Im Certainly not making a move like trading Redick for picks for a 1/29 shot of maybe getting a Lillard like player down the road.
    We already have 2 dominate players with very nice complimentary parts surrounding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    I don't want to make any moves. This could be a 50 win team when healthy.
    Thank you!
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

So what are the odds that we can trade Jrue, Okafor, Miller and a first for Brogdan and Turner?

I mean i would switch out Okafor and Miller for Favors if needed but wouldn’t give a first. Maybe a future first heavily protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    So what are the odds that we can trade Jrue, Okafor, Miller and a first for Brogdan and Turner?

I mean i would switch out Okafor and Miller for Favors if needed but wouldn’t give a first. Maybe a future first heavily protected.

Is less than 0% acceptable? Brogdon is a hotter commodity than Jrue as is Turner to Favors. We would have to give several high picks w/ Jrue & Favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Is less than 0% acceptable? Brogdon is a hotter commodity than Jrue as is Turner to Favors. We would have to give several high picks w/ Jrue & Favors.
    Basically this. Not happening.
    Basketball.

That’s a shame. I feel the Pacer’s W-L wouldn’t change much but our wins would go up dramatically. I would still be willing to give maybe two firsts and multiple 2nds.

If doctors expect full recovery, I would swap Holiday and a Laker First Rounder for Blake Griffin in a heartbeat. He would open the court up for Zion like Brook Lopez does for Giannis.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    If doctors expect full recovery, I would swap Holiday and a Laker First Rounder for Blake Griffin in a heartbeat. He would open the court up for Zion like Brook Lopez does for Giannis.
    I wouldn't, at all. I hate to label anyone injury prone, but if there's anyone in the NBA who fits that label, it's Blake Griffin. Also, he's not actually that great of a shooter (24% for his time this year, 36% last year, 34% the year before, 33% the year before that). Also his contract is much larger than Jrue's and goes on even longer as well.

You seem to be living in the past. I think you have mentioned giving up solid assets for Hayward and Griffin. I wouldn't touch either. They are both a shell of their former selves at ridiculous contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Didnt ignore anything. All I did was make a statement. There is NO pick in this draft that we can move up for that makes us better than having Redick for next year. Dont know about you, but i was at a Griff Session & he specifically said--> Draft picks are not a priority for this team because we are so young already. He stated that we cant afford to get any younger. Redick can help this team WIN, if not this year, then next year .Another 19yr old will NOT advance us in anyway!
    Not to mention that JJ is the heart of this team. He is constantly coaching every player during games. He is a bigger asset on the floor for the Pelicans right now than another pick. He is a perfect compliment to the Zion era.

Quote Originally Posted by KPop1 View Post
    Not to mention that JJ is the heart of this team. He is constantly coaching every player during games. He is a bigger asset on the floor for the Pelicans right now than another pick. He is a perfect compliment to the Zion era.
    JJ and Favors bring a winning culture. If we are trading any of the vets, Jrue would be my guy. He was part of a Pelicans team that was just going through the motions over the years. You can see it in some of his play. I would be okay with trading Favors if he flat out said I have no intention of re signing. Otherwise he is a big part of our playoff push and a good mentor for Hayes and Zion.

Moore is a given for trade bait. JJ has to stay and as Dae said earlier why isn’t he seeing time with Zion?

If Sham is right Favors could be moved.

Griffin needs to move any pending free agents. Favors, Moore, and Miller need to be traded. If the medical staff continues to limit Zion’s minutes, we need to blow it up and develop the young guys.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    You seem to be living in the past. I think you have mentioned giving up solid assets for Hayward and Griffin. I wouldn't touch either. They are both a shell of their former selves at ridiculous contracts.
    If we flush Holiday's contract we would be in a position to rent a premium player for a couple of years until there is stability in our future Big's (JAX') game. In the meantime, both (particularly Griffin) would be an ideal complement for our style of play (spreading the defense to open up driving lanes). While he might be our defensive MVP, Favors is not a good fit offensively for what we are trying to do. I can't see him re-upping with us...his style conflicts with ours (think of where he came from...Utah)

Now, I confess, that, since we acquired the top pick in last year's draft, I have pushed for a Big who can shoot from the perimeter (B. Lopez, Maxi Kleber, Lauri Markkanen, Frank Kaminsky). Heck, you have even seen me recently plea for Melli to get playing time now that Zion is being integrated into the mix.

If we flush Holiday's contract we would be in a position to rent a premium player for a couple of years until there is stability in our future Big's (JAX') game. In the meantime, both (particularly Griffin) would be an ideal complement for our style of play (spreading the defense to open up driving lanes). While he might be our defensive MVP, Favors is not a good fit offensively for what we are trying to do. I can't see him re-upping with us...his style conflicts with ours (think of where he came from...Utah)

Now, I confess, that, since we acquired the top pick in last year's draft, I have pushed for a Big who can shoot from the perimeter (B. Lopez, Maxi Kleber, Lauri Markkanen, Frank Kaminsky). Heck, you have even seen me recently plea for Melli to get playing time now that Zion is being integrated into the mix.
    Markkanen is pretty much out for the season and also has shot like garbage this year. Griffin, as mentioned earlier, isn't actually a particularly good shooter (and is also out for the rest of the year injured as well). Frank Kaminsky is just bad at basketball in general. And all three of those guys are negatives on defense.

Kleber is a much better choice, but there's no way Dallas is moving him, especially after the Powell injury that leaves the short on bigs. They're currently running the most best offense in NBA history; why would they wanna give away pieces of that? Especially relatively young pieces that fit their star.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Markkanen is pretty much out for the season and also has shot like garbage this year. Griffin, as mentioned earlier, isn't actually a particularly good shooter (and is also out for the rest of the year injured as well). Frank Kaminsky is just bad at basketball in general. And all three of those guys are negatives on defense.

Kleber is a much better choice, but there's no way Dallas is moving him, especially after the Powell injury that leaves the short on bigs. They're currently running the most best offense in NBA history; why would they wanna give away pieces of that? Especially relatively young pieces that fit their star.
    Einstein, I was talking about before this season when they were all available as Free Agents or the trading block. I'm well aware that Kleber and Markkanen are now virtually untouchable. (BTW: 23 year old Markkanen is a lifetime 16 and 7 in 30:00 per....shoots Free throws at 85% and shoots the three at 35%...what big do we have who can give us that)
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-25-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    And all three of those guys are negatives on defense.
    I agree with you there....kind'a like 'Flash or Crash', huh?

Einstein, I was talking about before this season when they were all available as Free Agents or the trading block. I'm well aware that Kleber and Markkanen are now virtually untouchable. (BTW: 23 year old Markkanen is a lifetime 16 and 7 in 30:00 per....shoots Free throws at 85% and shoots the three at 35%...what big do we have who can give us that)

The Mavs traded a 2020 2nd for WCS, you’re telling me we couldn’t get in on that?

(BTW: 23 year old Markkanen is a lifetime 16 and 7 in 30:00 per....shoots Free throws at 85% and shoots the three at 35%...what big do we have who can give us that)
    Which is why there was never any chance the Bulls would trade him. He is part of their future.

Thread Information