Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Griff. is still shopping

Rumor Rumor: Griff. is still shopping

Grif. Throwing smokescreens ? Things could get interesting before deadline! It could mean more Zion playing time too!
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 01-23-2020 at 09:34 PM.

I dunno. What would be the point of selling (really asking, not being sarcastic)?

The idea behind buying makes sense to me. We currently have more young prospects (Hayes, NAW, Hart, Jah, etc) and decent role players (Moore, Melli, etc) than we can ever get floor time for......AND we have something like seven 1st round picks and twelve 2nd rounders in the next 5 years. Plus guys like Didi and Cheatham. BI and Zo are blooming. Hayes and Zion are coming around. Jrue, JJ, and Favors are ready so let's trade some youth and picks and get another great vet to start bashing skulls in, now.

I understand the concept of staying firm. Not making any moves. Letting the young guys develop this season and just waiting to see what falls our way in FA or the draft.

Selling I don't get. Because we need another prospect that either won't play or will take time away from the guys we already have? Or we need that 20th pick in the next 5 years (not an exaggeration)?

Or is there some bigger picture thing I'm missing that selling now sets us up for?
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-24-2020 at 12:29 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I dunno. What would be the point of selling (really asking, not being sarcastic)?
    My first thought is consolidation, maybe?

Right now we have so many guys fighting for minutes at some positions while other positions seem relatively thin; it could be an idea to try to consolidate more than one of those surplus guys for a single guy at the other position.

Trading Frank + Moore, for example, to try and bring back a slightly more defensively minded large wing/forward? That would clear up minutes in the guard spots (and also discourage the 3, 4 guard lineups that always hurt us) while simultaneously addressing the fact that we basically only have one small forward and very little defensive presence. Not sure who that would be, just thinking out loud really.
    Basketball.

Gotcha. I guess I figured that consolidating like that would be buying.....but I don't know.

I'm really fond of everyone on the team so I will hate to see anyone go but we just have too much "promise tier" guys that deserve more playing time and could use another role player (like you said).

Gotcha. I guess I figured that consolidating like that would be buying.....but I don't know.

I'm really fond of everyone on the team so I will hate to see anyone go but we just have too much "promise tier" guys that deserve more playing time and could use another role player (like you said).
    Yeah I guess. It's selling in the context of more assets going out than coming in, but the value of those assets is up for questioning, of course.

And you're right, but that's the issue with having a good team with legitimate stars I think. There are fun guys who would be rotation players on other, worse, teams and we just don't have much room for them to get the time they deserve. It's like when we let go of Diallo last summer. I love Diallo, but someone had to go

I dont see Griff messing with this locker room and chemistry. He didn't enjoy the constant trading in Cleveland, and doesn't seem to be a grass is greener on the other side type. Griff knows what this team has already. If anyone is traded it may be Miller, only because he isn't playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah I guess. It's selling in the context of more assets going out than coming in, but the value of those assets is up for questioning, of course.

And you're right, but that's the issue with having a good team with legitimate stars I think. There are fun guys who would be rotation players on other, worse, teams and we just don't have much room for them to get the time they deserve. It's like when we let go of Diallo last summer. I love Diallo, but someone had to go
    Like msusousaphone, I've always thought of selling as being giving up the big asset for lots of smaller parts. Either way, if we make a move, it should definitely be toward consolidation rather than gathering more resources.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I dont see Griff messing with this locker room and chemistry. He didn't enjoy the constant trading in Cleveland, and doesn't seem to be a grass is greener on the other side type. Griff knows what this team has already. If anyone is traded it may be Miller, only because he isn't playing.
    I agree, wholeheartedly. If we make any move, team chemistry has to be considered, and right now it seems we have something brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I agree. Miller going out makes too much sense because we know we are not picking up his option next year. A trade that was mentioned like Miller for Ariza makes sense as it saves Portland a lot of tax money and gives us a larger expiring trade chip (only partially guaranteed) for next year. It also would give us a 3 and D that could play spot minutes. If we could get Bjelica from the Kings using Miller's contract and say, Frank, that would add a nice stretch 4 on a good contract. But I would not expect any big deals.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've been reading y'all's opinions on the draft and free agency.....this is supposed to be a pretty weak draft AND FA, right?

I could see us moving JJ for a 1st this year. Can't remember which pod it was but they suggested JJ could fetch a pick between 15-20 right now. If we had 2 picks in the draft between 10-20 this year, that would give Griff more flexibility to move up and get his guy instead of having to wait and take whoever falls to him at 13 or so. Just a thought.

I still don't see any way in which they trade Jrue unless they get completely blown away. I've suggested this before but the only Jrue package I'm considering right now is Dinwiddie, Levert, and Joe Harris. The only other team that can get close is the Suns but they'd have to be willing to part with Oubre and Bridges as well as an unprotected 1st this year. I know these prices seem steep but that's the cost to get Jrue this year in my opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've been reading y'all's opinions on the draft and free agency.....this is supposed to be a pretty weak draft AND FA, right?
    Oh yeah. Poor draft, crap FA.

Next year though, incredible draft, much better FA.

This year's free agency (unrestricted free agents): Paul Millsap, Hassan Whiteside, Marc Gasol, Danilo Gallinari, Jeff Teague. There are a few other guys who have player options, and most of them will use them (Hayward, for example). AD technically is a free agent but we all know he's probably going back to LA.

Next year's free agency (unrestricted free agents): Gordon Hayward, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, DeMar Derozan, Rudy Gobert, Andre Drummond, Steven Adams, Giannis Antetokoumnpo, Victor Oladipo. Then CP3, Lebron, Kawhi, Blake Griffin, Jrue Holiday, and Paul George all have player options.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-24-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Additionally, the Pels just sent Jrue out for a joint interview with Zion after Zion's first game. I really can't see them moving him this year. He's too vital to their image and their chemistry moving forward.

I don't want to make any moves. This could be a 50 win team when healthy.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I could see us moving JJ for a 1st this year. Can't remember which pod it was but they suggested JJ could fetch a pick between 15-20 right now. If we had 2 picks in the draft between 10-20 this year, that would give Griff more flexibility to move up and get his guy instead of having to wait and take whoever falls to him at 13 or so. Just a thought.

I still don't see any way in which they trade Jrue unless they get completely blown away. I've suggested this before but the only Jrue package I'm considering right now is Dinwiddie, Levert, and Joe Harris. The only other team that can get close is the Suns but they'd have to be willing to part with Oubre and Bridges as well as an unprotected 1st this year. I know these prices seem steep but that's the cost to get Jrue this year in my opinion.
    We dont need another draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    We dont need another draft pick.
    Its nice that you just completely ignored what I said. You pick up a draft pick for JJ. You then have 2 draft picks. You combine those 2 draft picks to trade up for 1 draft pick. Therefore, we would still only be making one draft pick.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    You can never have too many draft picks. You can always package them for players. We have too many guys and not enough minutes. The question is who to let go.

Another point- I don’t know why so many are dead set on keeping Jrue. I’m very skeptical of the fit, and if we keep him it’s just for another year. What’s the point? Get assets while you can. More minutes for NAW and Lonzo who may be better fits anyway.

Too little Too late.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Its nice that you just completely ignored what I said. You pick up a draft pick for JJ. You then have 2 draft picks. You combine those 2 draft picks to trade up for 1 draft pick. Therefore, we would still only be making one draft pick.
    Didnt ignore anything. All I did was make a statement. There is NO pick in this draft that we can move up for that makes us better than having Redick for next year. Dont know about you, but i was at a Griff Session & he specifically said--> Draft picks are not a priority for this team because we are so young already. He stated that we cant afford to get any younger. Redick can help this team WIN, if not this year, then next year .Another 19yr old will NOT advance us in anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I agree. Miller going out makes too much sense because we know we are not picking up his option next year. A trade that was mentioned like Miller for Ariza makes sense as it saves Portland a lot of tax money and gives us a larger expiring trade chip (only partially guaranteed) for next year. It also would give us a 3 and D that could play spot minutes. If we could get Bjelica from the Kings using Miller's contract and say, Frank, that would add a nice stretch 4 on a good contract. But I would not expect any big deals.
    My eye has been on Bjelica for awhile. But his play just keeps getting better. Besides Fox, he's really the only other bright spot on the Kings this season (with Buddy's ego issues). Would love to get him, Kings might not bite though. Ariza is a nice piece, I didnt even think he could be available. Would be nice a veteran to add, especially for Kenrich to learn from playing small ball 4.

Didnt ignore anything. All I did was make a statement. There is NO pick in this draft that we can move up for that makes us better than having Redick for next year. Dont know about you, but i was at a Griff Session & he specifically said--> Draft picks are not a priority for this team because we are so young already. He stated that we cant afford to get any younger. Redick can help this team WIN, if not this year, then next year .Another 19yr old will NOT advance us in anyway!
    Agreed we have a million draft picks and tons of young talent. Heck, we barely have enough roster space for the 2 draft picks we're adding next season. We do not need anymore picks. Redicks veteran presence is 10x more important than adding another 19 year old. I realize we're in unchartered territory by actually having a foundation for this team, but we no longer have to be trade/draft happy. We're in a exciting era for Pelicans basketball.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 01-24-2020 at 12:57 PM.

If you're close minded as a front office then you'll never win. We're in the process of building assets while also trying to win. Sure, JJ will obviously help you win more than any rookie in this years class would. But adding JJ in a trade for a superstar will never move the needle as much as draft picks would. Every move is not about winning right now.

Griff can say that draft picks are not a priority for this team all he wants, but he's gonna want those picks available to him when Dame Lillard requests a trade. You can't look at each move in a vacuum. Don't fall into that trap.

OKC is currently the only team with more assets than us. We got so much assets, Sir Mix-A-Lot is writing a song about us.

We could open the coffers for Dame or KAT and still have a few 1st rounders left over the next 5 years.

That's why I don't buy us being sellers.

The reason I, personally, would not trade JJ is because you don't want to get in the business of signing and trading vets. That kind of behavior will prevent vets from signing with you in the future. As long as JJ wants to be here, I think we should hold onto him. I see the value in having JJ and winning now, I was just presenting the opposing argument.

Good point.

The reason I, personally, would not trade JJ is because you don't want to get in the business of signing and trading vets. That kind of behavior will prevent vets from signing with you in the future. As long as JJ wants to be here, I think we should hold onto him. I see the value in having JJ and winning now, I was just presenting the opposing argument.
    Yeah, the only way I see JJ or Favors moved is if they request it and we do them a favor.

Thread Information