Pelicans Report

Thread: How much do you trust David Griffin?

How much do you trust David Griffin?

During the offseason, it was easy to love the David Griffin hire, along with just about every move and interview he gave afterward. Now that the season has been going, I'm seeing a lot of distrust developing with much of the fanbase. Some of it I can understand, because what he's communicating publicly doesn't always line up with what we see take place. There's his Jrue for MVP push. There's the "not a significant injury" comment when Zion was first diagnosed. And now there's the "no minutes restriction" comments that have led to confusion on how Zion would be managed in his return. I certainly get how people could be put off by that.

Where I diverge from a lot of fans is when that view also moves over into distrust of Griffin's decision-making. While it's sucked for us as fans to miss another month of time with Zion when he may have been able to play in December, I trust that Griffin and the medical staff are making the right choices for the team long term. Same for last night. It sucked to watch him blow up in the 4th, and then be pulled from the game and have us lose it, but I trust that the decision was made with the long-term team vision in mind. I've seen nothing from Griffin yet that has changed my view of him being a top notch head of an organization, and my trust in him has not wavered. How do you feel?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    He's the best executive we've ever had.

Do I think he needs to do better when he's talking to the media? Yes. He seems to exaggerate good things, and downplays bad things. As a Seahawks fan, Pete Carroll does this a lot, and it can be infuriating.

All we gotta do is just trust him. He's respected around the league, and has helped get this franchise more respect than it has ever gotten.

I believe Griffin is the first and only "President of Basketball Operations" this franchise has ever had.

In the past, the GM no had to wear both hats. So Dell would have to talk to the media like Griff then get on a plane to Europe/South America to scout talent like Langdon.

I trust him a hell of a lot more than I trusted the last regime.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    100% to this point. I don't know what's not to trust given everything so far.

Gentry made the Brees&Payton comparison. Relationship rocky now? Hearing that comment also makes me wonder if Alvin reads this forum.

I trust his actions, not necessarily his words.

He's clearly a salesman, is happy to talk things up, play the media angles, etc. Gives great quotes and soundbites. Sometimes they reflect reality, sometimes they're a little hyperbolic, and sometimes they're just plain misleading.

But that's the words.

In terms of actions and deeds, I've only seen good things, and frankly that's the most vital part.
    Basketball.

Ive had disparaging opinions about Griffin in the past but I will say this...he’s a championship minded executive. I think if he’s involved in any franchise, he brings a culture of excellence and housing the best of the best. I can’t imagine him in any situation where the process feels like a purgatory situation. He’s also great at balancing the thin line between a family atmosphere organization with an underlining of pressure that you could be traded. You could be fired. I pay attention to his media string pulling and what stories he jumps out in front of and what he lets float out there. His talent is in his delegating abilities mixed with awareness of what floats and sinks in the media.

What comes with that are Achilles like wanting a piece of the pie when it comes to the bottom line story of how success came into fruition, but when your mind is that elite, I can’t 100% blame him for wanting some ounce of credit. All that matters is like Pelicandae said his action to me. His actions are hiring the best and trusting his staff. I do disagree sometimes with his overstep to ensure he’s in the picture, but for the results we all want, I say yea...it’s worth it so I trust him.

PS, he reminds me a lot of Rodger Ailes
    Last edited by Wowowowow; 01-23-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Griffin is the man and has this team moving in the right direction. Trust him 100%

Shakey ground. He needs to shut up and not feel himself like he did after the AD trade and media press tour feeding his own ego.

He earned my trust over the summer when he described his reasoning for taking this job over some of the more high-profile opportunities that he had earlier. He said something to the effect of "I had the opportunity to speak to seven billionaires and only one of them spoke about wanting to win a championship for their community."

I found that to be a really impressive attitude for someone who manages sports teams for a living. And I believe him precisely because he did turn down those high-profile opportunities.

I think everything they are doing is with that in mind. Building up what Gayle referred to as an asset she was holding in trust for the city of New Orleans. I personally believe they are in the middle of a quasi-tank in which they take their time with every injury to make sure that they are healthy for next season and so that Aaron Nelson has to time to put his stamp on the players. If they ease into the playoffs, great. If they get a lottery pick, they have yet another asset to try to improve the team. They just can't say any of this out loud because the NBA would be inclined to discipline them.

I don’t think they are tanking, quasi or otherwise. Griffin wants to establish a winning atmosphere and that doesn’t happen by playing games with injuries, floor time, etc. IMO Griffin has an eye on short term success to provide a winning foundation while keeping the team’s long term prospects for sustained contention uppermost. That is why sitting Zion on the advice of team doctors makes sense. The Pels might have won if he stayed on the court, but ignoring that advice presented too much long term risk. As far as the ever-changing statements to the press, I really don’t care much. I only care that he is consistent with the players, coaches and staff so THEY trust him.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I believe Griffin is the first and only "President of Basketball Operations" this franchise has ever had.

In the past, the GM no had to wear both hats. So Dell would have to talk to the media like Griff then get on a plane to Europe/South America to scout talent like Langdon.
    First and best 'Executive Vice President"

Thread Information