Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: This is on gentry

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Very possible.

If that's the case, then that brings up why Griff would go to great pains to insist there was no restriction, when there clearly was.

That throws up a smokescreen that makes Gentry look even worse when stuff like this happens.
    I don't think they went in with a set number in mind. Too me it looked like they pulled him in the fourth because he looked labored.

It does appear that they wanted to take it slow initially. It really seems like it was based on how he was moving.

He looked pretty gassed at the end of that run.

If everyone other than Ball and Zion didn't play like arse then we wouldn't even be having this conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I don't think they went in with a set number in mind. Too me it looked like they pulled him in the fourth because he looked labored.

It does appear that they wanted to take it slow initially. It really seems like it was based on how he was moving.

He looked pretty gassed at the end of that run.
    Sure, but if Zion wanted to play and felt able, and Gentry wanted to keep playing him, then that tells us the medical staff thought there was legitimate risk in playing him for 3 more minutes. Which means they have an upper limit they absolutely refuse to hit.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If everyone other than Ball and Zion didn't play like arse then we wouldn't even be having this conversion.
    Hayes was okay. Even Favors wasn't total garbage aside from the foul issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Hart played liek he wanted to win.

I am fully confident BI will be strong next game.

Jrue tho? We might be seeing a string of mediocre 15 point games from him while playing with Zion. I've seen this movie before.

Did people not see how gassed Zion was before the timeout? I was 10’ away from the kid and he was completely gassed and was likely starting to lose his legs in his first game back. I don’t know how many people here have ever comeback to a sport from an injury but no amount of conditioning can prepare you for actual game action and the energy your adrenaline will take out of you. Not worth risking anything with this kids future over maybe winning 1 basketball game all because of emotion after having a big scoring run.

I was sitting near Griff during tonight’s game. He was the only unhappy person in the arena during the last two minutes of Zion’s heater. He had his arms folded and he was staring daggers at the Pels’ bench. At the timeout, he raced down to the court and into the Pels’ tunnel with a member of the staff, presumably to voice his anger that Zion’s minute restriction had been exceeded. You do not want to pizz off Griff, I’ll tell you that!

Sure, but if Zion wanted to play and felt able, and Gentry wanted to keep playing him, then that tells us the medical staff thought there was legitimate risk in playing him for 3 more minutes. Which means they have an upper limit they absolutely refuse to hit.
    Its possible they decided on a maximum number of minutes pregame but I think they would have announced it. At the same time its just as likely they just based it off of how tired he looked. He looked pretty tired to me. Playing tired increases injury risk. But sure, they could have changed their minds and decided to limit him to about 16 minutes pregame. If you decide that number pregame because as his doctor you think he could risk injury then you absolutely pull him regardless of what happens in game.

It sucks that we lost but I don't have a problem with how they are handling Zion. His long term health is the highest priority. I think we can all agree to that. If the medical staff felt like it was time for him to come out, he comes out.

My 2 cents on this. I get having to take him out but at least wait on a dead ball. This was a game that we needed to win seeing how we're fighting for the 8 seed as they are.

If this loss costs us the 8 seed?

Even Klutch Sports called him out

Hall of Famer
    Lol at perkins was he there

STFU Perk! Of course he was on a minutes restriction! It’s not about this game. It’s not even about this season. It’s clear under Griff the medical team is going to set the parameters for an injured players return to play. It seemed like tonight the plan was for four minute blocks at the top of each quarter and that’s it, finito. Hard stop. When Gentry extended Zion and sent Melli back to the bench I have no doubt Griff and the medical staff told Gentry to cut it out. Coaches and players are super competitive. They can get carried away in the heat of the moment. Cooler heads need to manage Zion’s recovery. And fans need to get that he’s going to be carefully managed for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    STFU Perk! Of course he was on a minutes restriction! It’s not about this game. It’s not even about this season. It’s clear under Griff the medical team is going to set the parameters for an injured players return to play. It seemed like tonight the plan was for four minute blocks at the top of each quarter and that’s it, finito. Hard stop. When Gentry extended Zion and sent Melli back to the bench I have no doubt Griff and the medical staff told Gentry to cut it out. Coaches and players are super competitive. They can get carried away in the heat of the moment. Cooler heads need to manage Zion’s recovery. And fans need to get that he’s going to be carefully managed for a while.
    Okay cool, Griff needs to say that then, not blatantly lie to everyone about it. Even Gentry seemed surprised that there was a hard, dead-stop limit. The communication is an issue that they need to sort out.

This is why we are dysfunctional franchise and why I question Griffs abilities. Why say there's no mins restriction when there clearly was? If Zion isn't ready for starter mins why is he on the court at all? We should be sitting him until there's no limitation.

In fact why are we trying to win instead of making this about developing the young guys that will be here and in their primes when we are ready to compete for titles in 3-6 years (if ever)? We should be developing Zion as a wing player. His natural passing and handling are already there on top of his other worldly athletic abilities and IQ. We should be giving him the ball and letting him figure out the league a la Morant or Doncic even at the expense of W's.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This is why we are dysfunctional franchise and why I question Griffs abilities. Why say there's no mins restriction when there clearly was? If Zion isn't ready for starter mins why is he on the court at all? We should be sitting him until there's no limitation.

In fact why are we trying to win instead of making this about developing the young guys that will be here and in their primes when we are ready to compete for titles in 3-6 years (if ever)? We should be developing Zion as a wing player. His natural passing and handling are already there on top of his other worldly athletic abilities and IQ. We should be giving him the ball and letting him figure out the league a la Morant or Doncic even at the expense of W's.

When have you ever seen a player miss significant time, then come back 1st game with no time restrictions at all?

Paul George's first game back this year against us, he was torching us. Yet Doc stuck the the minutes plan and George didn't play in the 4th. And the Clippers ended up losing that game.

Maybe the team needs to communicate with Gentry better so he can communicate to the media better. But pulling Zion when they did was the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    When have you ever seen a player miss significant time, then come back 1st game with no time restrictions at all?

Paul George's first game back this year against us, he was torching us. Yet Doc stuck the the minutes plan and George didn't play in the 4th. And the Clippers ended up losing that game.

Maybe the team needs to communicate with Gentry better so he can communicate to the media better. But pulling Zion when they did was the right move.
    When that player comes back the next year. Which is what we should have done with Zion. Either he's not in danger of farther damage or he is.

It's not having better communication it's telling a flat out lie. Plus how in the world does a functional franchise not tell the coach that his player is on a mins restriction? Especially a player with this amount of publicity? Ignore all the red flags that you want but this is Knicks level incompetence.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Doctor call , if so than gentry gets a pass
    Actually, doctors were probably mad at Gentry too!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    When that player comes back the next year. Which is what we should have done with Zion. Either he's not in danger of farther damage or he is.

It's not having better communication it's telling a flat out lie. Plus how in the world does a functional franchise not tell the coach that his player is on a mins restriction? Especially a player with this amount of publicity? Ignore all the red flags that you want but this is Knicks level incompetence.
    Specious logic and rather shortsighted .

Nah he looked mad on the bench
    He was GASSED!

Lol at perkins was he there
    YES

Doctor call , if so than gentry gets a pass
    DR. SURI ? LOL

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-breaux-injury

He looked irritated every time they sat him Can't blame him, especially in those earlier 3:30 stints. Those are just a recipe for frustration and lack of rhythm.
    To me this is a recipe for 4 years down the road he leaves on the first ride out of here and I wouldn't blame him. The dude was fine, probably gassed when they took him out in the 4th quarter but he should've went back in with 3 minutes left. The way they've handled Zion up to this point has probably left a bad taste in his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by drortego316 View Post
    To me this is a recipe for 4 years down the road he leaves on the first ride out of here and I wouldn't blame him. The dude was fine, probably gassed when they took him out in the 4th quarter but he should've went back in with 3 minutes left. The way they've handled Zion up to this point has probably left a bad taste in his mouth.
    Lol just no. Wrong on every level.

People say that Zion looked tired, gassed, sluggish, but he sure wasn’t playing like it. Even then you could have told him, “listen Zion, I know you’re tired, but we need you for 3 more minutes. We got a couple of timeouts that we can use to help you catch your breath, but we need you.” Problem solved.

If this came from above, and wasn’t Gentry’s call that’s one thing (Lebron got Griff his championship), but I would have expected more push back from Gentry. If you know you are going to get ******** canned at the end of the season, go out in a blaze of glory giving the people what they want rather than a lineup that hadn’t worked all game.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information