Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: This is on gentry

Hall of Famer

This is on gentry

Took the air out the team pulling zion. Dude was rolling and gentry says ok enough back to the bench.

If I had to choose health for the team for the rest of the season or the playoffs....I take health 10/10.
    This team needs to play together and hopefully 80% of the squad returns next year.

The Franchise
    I don't think he had the authority to keep him in..

I guarantee you this was Griffins idea to sit him. Makes no sense to me he looked fine.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Doctor call , if so than gentry gets a pass

BI shares in this one. 27% shooting on 22 attempts doesn't cut it. Usually a reliable free throw shooter, he threw up bricks when the game was on the line.

He was gassed. This notion is foolish in the gameday thread.....putting it under a spotlight in its own thread only makes it worse.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Very possible.

If that's the case, then that brings up why Griff would go to great pains to insist there was no restriction, when there clearly was.

That throws up a smokescreen that makes Gentry look even worse when stuff like this happens.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    I guarantee you this was Griffins idea to sit him. Makes no sense to me he looked fine.
    Regardless of who made the call, it changed the complexion of the game. It took all of the energy from the team, and Zion looked extremely unhappy.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    BI shares in this one. 27% shooting on 22 attempts doesn't cut it. Usually a reliable free throw shooter threw up bricks when the game was on the line.
    I like b.i but he seems to look terrible when the spotlight is on the team. People watching tonight wondering how is he putting up those stats. That last play where he stopped at the rim by. a point guard , 5 inches shorter than him was bad

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    He was gassed. This notion is foolish in the gameday thread.....putting it under a spotlight in its own thread only makes it worse.
    Nah he looked mad on the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Nah he looked mad on the bench
    He looked irritated every time they sat him Can't blame him, especially in those earlier 3:30 stints. Those are just a recipe for frustration and lack of rhythm.

Medical staff minutes restriction confirmation.

Pressure's off Gentry for that particular issue.

Still asks the question about why Griff would flat out lie about a minutes restriction though.

Hall of Famer
    Griff says a lot of terrible things

You know many people in the arena tonight prolly expected zion to play more minutes

But whatever

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Very possible.

If that's the case, then that brings up why Griff would go to great pains to insist there was no restriction, when there clearly was.

That throws up a smokescreen that makes Gentry look even worse when stuff like this happens.
    Agreed, doesn't make any sense. Unless you're trying to sell advertising on ESPN, and fill seats.

The Franchise
    I like b.i but he seems to look terrible when the spotlight is on the team. People watching tonight wondering how is he putting up those stats. That last play where he stopped at the rim by. a point guard , 5 inches shorter than him was bad
    I agree with both of you.. So irritated with him.

Just have to remind myself he's only 22.

Agreed, doesn't make any sense. Unless you're trying to sell advertising on ESPN, and fill seats.
    I mean I get that, but he has to understand that it's not a case of ''sell seats or be honest'', where selling seats based on the deception is ultimately harmless. It's a case of ''sell seats and set my head coach up to be crucified, or be honest'', where there's an in-built reason to avoid the deception even if only from an organisational standpoint.

The Franchise
    Just reported on ESPN that Gentry got into it with the medical staff during Zions run..

Medical staff minutes restriction confirmation.

Pressure's off Gentry for that particular issue.

Still asks the question about why Griff would flat out lie about a minutes restriction though.
    He probably wasn't lying. He said there was no strict minutes restriction, but he never said he'd be unlimited. He said they were measuring things other than "minutes played", and I guess Zion hit whatever the trainers and doctors deemed was the limit

The Franchise
    I mean I get that, but he has to understand that it's not a case of ''sell seats or be honest'', where selling seats based on the deception is ultimately harmless. It's a case of ''sell seats and set my head coach up to be crucified, or be honest'', where there's an in-built reason to avoid the deception even if only from an organisational standpoint.
    I'm with you bro..

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    He probably wasn't lying. He said there was no strict minutes restriction, but he never said he'd be unlimited. He said they were measuring things other than "minutes played", and I guess Zion hit whatever the trainers and doctors deemed was the limit
    That's incredibly deceptive speech, tbh.

Griff said there was no minutes restriction, and that the minutes he played would be based on how he looked out there and how he was feeling.

Well, he looked great, and Zion said in the post-game interview that he wanted to keep playing. So he looked good, and felt fine.

Nobody was expecting Zion to play 35 minutes, nobody was expecting mass minutes like that. But if we are being told there is NO minutes restriction, and then suddenly he hits a minutes restriction that's firm enough to absolutely forbid even 3 more minutes (to take it to a total of 21 minutes, which isn't many!), then that's clearly a legitimate restriction worth noting to the fans.

Exactly. And Jrue is another one. Here he goes again with 36 one game and a brick laying 12 the next. In an important hyped game like this, 12 points from him is unacceptable.

I dont blame Gentry for pulling Zion at all. The other guys were just bad tonight. Gentry has to motivate them better.

Meanwhile, LA goes off for 32 and 14 like he's supposed to.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-23-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Gentry was the last person who wanted to pull him. I was there and I was lamenting the fact that the only really productive player on the court was just pulled - but it is what it is. Ultimately, we lost because we couldn't make shots tonight.

Amazing! People wanna blame Gentry immediately yet he was fighting to keep the kid in. Hard to enjoy this site anymore

Thread Information