Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: This is on gentry

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Keeping weight off is mostly dietary. So this argument that he needs to play to lose weight is ridiculous false. Zion carrying around 280 is likely to have a huge negative impact on his body.
    This tells me you don't have the slightest idea of what you're talking about. I posted a rather in depth article from people that study this in the team news thread. I suggest you go read it.

And I never said he's 100% and I'm not sure anybody did. But until he gets a few games under his belt, he won't be. Doesn't matter if it's this year or next. His first few games won't see him go past 20 minutes.

This is just common.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Got it. Players never fib. I watched the guy basically looking for an oxygen mask. I don't have to listen to an interview, when 40 minutes prior I was watching him sucking air.
    So you are saying Zion is going to need a timeout every 2 minutes?

With 5:23 to play in the 4Q of a close game, Gentry replaces Zion with Frank Jackson. There is no reason for Jackson to play in a close game deep in the 4th. I would understand it more if he really wants Frank to play the 1, but Ball and Jrue were also on the floor with him. Frank plays 1 minute, the Spurs extend their lead to 7, then Gentry pulls him for Hart. It was head scratching.**

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    People say that Zion looked tired, gassed, sluggish, but he sure wasn’t playing like it. Even then you could have told him, “listen Zion, I know you’re tired, but we need you for 3 more minutes. We got a couple of timeouts that we can use to help you catch your breath, but we need you.” Problem solved.

If this came from above, and wasn’t Gentry’s call that’s one thing (Lebron got Griff his championship), but I would have expected more push back from Gentry. If you know you are going to get ******** canned at the end of the season, go out in a blaze of glory giving the people what they want rather than a lineup that hadn’t worked all game.
    Imagine Gentry keeps him in against doctors orders (and asides the fact Zion was clearly sucking in the big ones) and he re-injures the knee...

Everyone being critical of him now would be screaming for his head. Zion will win this franchise plenty more and plenty more important games...

Quote Originally Posted by carpo View Post
    Imagine Gentry keeps him in against doctors orders (and asides the fact Zion was clearly sucking in the big ones) and he re-injures the knee...

Everyone being critical of him now would be screaming for his head. Zion will win this franchise plenty more and plenty more important games...

Imagine if Gentry kept him in and Zion kept on scoring points. Maybe they really we’re concerned the roof would come off the place. Going to stink if we fall 1 game short of the #8 seed in April.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Imagine if Gentry kept him in and Zion kept on scoring points. Maybe they really we’re concerned the roof would come off the place. Going to stink if we fall 1 game short of the #8 seed in April.
    There are other games to blame... Like a good majority of the 6-22 games

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Amazing! People wanna blame Gentry immediately yet he was fighting to keep the kid in. Hard to enjoy this site anymore
    It does get hard sometimes , very much like Saints report

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    People say that Zion looked tired, gassed, sluggish, but he sure wasn’t playing like it. Even then you could have told him, “listen Zion, I know you’re tired, but we need you for 3 more minutes. We got a couple of timeouts that we can use to help you catch your breath, but we need you.” Problem solved.

If this came from above, and wasn’t Gentry’s call that’s one thing (Lebron got Griff his championship), but I would have expected more push back from Gentry. If you know you are going to get ******** canned at the end of the season, go out in a blaze of glory giving the people what they want rather than a lineup that hadn’t worked all game.
    Have you not read all the accounts that it was a Med staff call ?? Have you not read all the accounts that AG got into it with the med staff ? C'mon

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Huge exaggeration. He was not that tired. You mention Forbes (a fast guard) blowing past him when he wasn't squared as the proof. I am sure he was starting to get winded just being his first game back, but he was not that bad at all.
    EVERYONE court side along with Joel and AD said he was GASSED

AG said before the game that Z would play in 4-5 min stretches , What if his mins restriction was not on total mins played but on how long he could play at a time ? Meli was going in for him just before Z got hot but was pulled back. AG probably pushed how long he could play in the 4th until the med staff said enough

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    EVERYONE court side along with Joel and AD said he was GASSED
    He was a bit winded (for the first time in the game), not gassed.

Some of this stuff is unreal. It's not binary. It's not either or. It's not "you are ready to play 30 minutes or not at all." That's just crazy. There is a plan in place. They said repeatedly Zion would play for short bursts. They are easing him back into NBA game speed midseason. Of course he was tired. Of course he was gassed. Anyone who has played basketball on any level knows there is a huge difference between game speed and practice speed. Fatigue is a big contributor to injuries. Forget it. No way you play Zion deeper into the fourth quarter first game out. That's just idiotic and putting the short-term desire to win a game and watch him play over his longterm well being. I'm glad the organization doesn't think that way anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This tells me you don't have the slightest idea of what you're talking about. I posted a rather in depth article from people that study this in the team news thread. I suggest you go read it.

And I never said he's 100% and I'm not sure anybody did. But until he gets a few games under his belt, he won't be. Doesn't matter if it's this year or next. His first few games won't see him go past 20 minutes.

This is just common.
    WTF are you talking about. Weight is larger based on what you eat and the more you weight the more stress it puts on your skeleton and muscle. Like seriously where did I lose you?

Agree somewhat. Yet Alvin makes the Brees comment at his press. Clearly Griff and Gentry have a different opinion.

Yet Alvin makes the Brees comment at his press. Clearly Griff and Gentry have a different opinion.
    This is my ultimate problem. Where's the communication? I all but thought a mins restriction was a far gone conclusion. Then I read there is no mins restriction, then the game happens and it's clear he's on one. Then after the game it's clear the coach wasn't aware of said mins restriction. That's amateur hour type stuff.

Yea let’s put fires Dr. Suri or whatever his name is in charge . How did that go for the Saints?
    Not arguing or debating with the med staff , am debating what UNO said

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    WTF are you talking about. Weight is larger based on what you eat and the more you weight the more stress it puts on your skeleton and muscle. Like seriously where did I lose you?
    Weight is based on numerous factors, not largely only diet. As a matter of fact, your specific metabolism, genetics, and age are probably is the largest factors. BI could have a constant diet of big macs right now and he's still not going to be 260 anytime soon. While another person can eat 2 big macs and blow up to 350.

And I'm not going to explain how people's specific body plan and especially their movement mechanics largely determines the amount of stress on their joints. Not their weight or mass. It's all in the article.

But believe what you will. I'm done.

I can’t blame him for that when I don’t know the ins and outs of Zion’s knee. He let Zion leave on a high note, and that is good at least.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    So you are saying Zion is going to need a timeout every 2 minutes?
    No, that's what you just said. You must've been awful at "Connect the Dots"! You seem to make stuff up in order to press on into your directionless tirades. It's quite fascinating.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    He was gassed. He just about pulled his shorts to his ankles grabbing on the bottoms. GASSED!

He was gassed. He just about pulled his shorts to his ankles grabbing on the bottoms. GASSED!
    I thought he looked like he needed to come out.

I hoped they would call the timeout and then bring him back for the last 2 minutes.

If you (not you Tinman) don't understand why they took him out when they did in his first game back after his injury, it might be a good idea to trust the experts. Such as the people that made to call to pull him.

You have to trust the medical staff. They want to win as much as anyone but they also want what's best for the player's long term health. ( It would be a stretch to say that before, but now we have Nelson, you have to trust that dude.)

I don't have a problem with it at all. Nobody should.

Don't worry, it won't be long before he does it again.

Very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I thought he looked like he needed to come out.

I hoped they would call the timeout and then bring him back for the last 2 minutes.

If you (not you Tinman) don't understand why they took him out when they did in his first game back after his injury, it might be a good idea to trust the experts. Such as the people that made to call to pull him.

You have to trust the medical staff. They want to win as much as anyone but they also want what's best for the player's long term health. ( It would be a stretch to say that before, but now we have Nelson, you have to trust that dude.)

I don't have a problem with it at all. Nobody should.

Don't worry, it won't be long before he does it again.
    You talking about those one legged landings? He was doing it all last night. So far no issues. I heard them discuss this on one of those ESPN shows. How do you remember to land right when you are in the heat of the moment?

You talking about those one legged landings? He was doing it all last night. So far no issues. I heard them discuss this on one of those ESPN shows. How do you remember to land right when you are in the heat of the moment?
    It all about how he's moving and if they think he looks fatigued. It's also likely they decided before tip to limit him to about 4-5 minutes of run at a time. If they decide ahead of time to limit his minutes or if he starts to show that he is tired based on his posture, breath rate, and mechanics then you kind of have to roll with it if that's what they feel was best.

It sucks to lose that game. It sucks even more when it felt like he could have won the game for us. But at the end of the day you have to trust the training staff. I trust Nelson. The dude knows what he is doing and has been at it a very long time.

Edited to add: One legged landings are not bad. Its how he lands. When a player is fatigued their mechanics break down and there is a higher risk for injury. It was the right call at the time. If the are still doing this in a month I will be skeptical. But not right now.

Please understand that a one legged landing is not, itself, the worst thing in the world. Two legged landings are preferable, sure, but for various reasons human beings are often required to land on one leg, and it's perfectly possible to do it in a pretty safe and healthy way. Which, for the most part, Zion was doing.
    Basketball.

Thread Information