Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: 22nd January - New Orleans Pelicans VS San Antonio Spurs - 17-27

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Did I miss something, but didn’t Frank look solid on defense during his limited minutes?
    Absolutely, He's turned into an above average defender.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Confirmation from Gentry about the minutes restriction/medical limit.
    So, this makes him look bad. Why wasn’t he aware that Zion was on a minutes restriction or some type of restriction? That way he could have managed his minutes better. We were all told it depended on how Zion looked and he didn’t look like he was having issues.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Short Term, ZW in a better option at the 5 than JH which means...……...

So long, Jah, you're a true professional.
    How do we know Zion can't dominate at the 4?????

It's just one game. I think they can both share the floor.

Short Term, ZW in a better option at the 5 than JH which means...……...

So long, Jah, you're a true professional.
    I think Jah would have been a big help tonight. He can attack a guy like Aldridge and get him in foul trouble early on. Jax doesn’t have the post game to bother the Spurs bigs.

Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    How do we know Zion can't dominate at the 4?????

It's just one game. I think they can both share the floor.
    I'm sure he could. My point is that, at this point, JH is lost defensively.

What does it have to do with Jah? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    What does it have to do with Jah? Lol
    There are only 48 minutes for the 5 in an NBA Game with three players gobbling them up (DF, ZW, JH). What's more, Jah, is a free agent at the end of the year. LOL

That's not a conclusion you can draw from this game. Jax was actually very good defensively for several stretches, including some impressive D on LMA, who is far stronger and heavier than him.

Nobody's denying that Hayes needs work on his defensive consistency and his strength, but to describe him as ''lost'' after this game is just flat inaccurate.

If I'm Zion's teammate and I see him single handedly bring the team back, my mindset is "I have got to go win this game." Which means I am going to go and attack.

Instead the frontline players come in and brick everything, then miss assignments on defense.

That's not a conclusion you can draw from this game. Jax was actually very good defensively for several stretches, including some impressive D on LMA, who is far stronger and heavier than him.

Nobody's denying that Hayes needs work on his defensive consistency and his strength, but to describe him as ''lost'' after this game is just flat inaccurate.
    Lost!!!! That Alphonse and Gaston rebound routine that JH squared shared tonight (leading to the easiest basket in Aldridge's career) indicates how far JAX needs to go (not that he won't get there).

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If I'm Zion's teammate and I see him single handedly bring the team back, my mindset is "I have got to go win this game." Which means I am going to go and attack.

Instead the frontline players come in and brick everything, then miss assignments on defense.
    They literally came in to the game with zero energy. It’s like they wanted to stay on the bench.

Lost!!!! That Alphonse and Gaston rebound routine that JH squared shared tonight (leading to the easiest basket in Aldridge's career) indicates how far JAX needs to go (not that he won't get there).
    Well done, you've picked out a single possession.

I didn't say ''Jaxson didn't make a single mistake!!'', I said ''Jax was actually very good defensively for several stretches''. Obviously that allows for a few mistakes. He's 19, making a few mistakes is allowed. Overall he was good.

The Franchise
    Just reported on ESPN that Gentry got into it with the medical staff during Zions run..

Besides Zion, only other good news is they are still only 4 games out in mid January, now behind San Antonio. Still 3 more games against San Antonio.

Time is getting shorter and shorter though.

Watching this game makes me very concerned about the long term spacing with the starting line up of Ball, Holiday, Ingram, Zion, and Favors. Seemed like The Spurs were crowding the paint and it heavily affected Ingram as well as Holiday early on. Zion’s gravity was the team’s saving grace as it allowed Favors to get a lot of open looks early on. Ingram has always been most effective with at least 3 spacers on the court. Watching tonight makes me wonder about the fit of Ingram and Holiday in the long run with Zion on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Watching this game makes me very concerned about the long term spacing with the starting line up of Ball, Holiday, Ingram, Zion, and Favors. Seemed like The Spurs were crowding the paint and it heavily affected Ingram as well as Holiday early on. Zion’s gravity was the team’s saving grace as it allowed Favors to get a lot of open looks early on. Ingram has always been most effective with at least 3 spacers on the court. Watching tonight makes me wonder about the fit of Ingram and Holiday in the long run with Zion on the court.
    Before the season, myself and some others (I think Shamit from BSS was on this wavelength too) argued in favour of starting Jrue/JJ/Ingram/Zion/Favors instead of Lonzo/Jrue/Ingram/Zion/Favors, just to ensure there was more shooting in that opening lineup.

Obviously Ingram has improved as a shooter too, so between him and Redick, I think there would be enough, but it would involve moving Lonzo to the bench. Personally, I don't mind trying that because the bench unit sometimes ends up with no ball-handlers on it anyway, so why not ensure there's always at least one?

There was no spacing problem with that unit whatsoever. Ingram and Holiday had wide open looks. Plus both can create their own shot. Favors was scoring easily in the 1st half. They hadnt shot this poorly all year and it had nothing to do with poor spacing.

The only issue is they need time playing together and Ingram and Holiday need to step it up when everybody is looking. For the most part they played like deer in the headlights tonight.

Well done, you've picked out a single possession.

I didn't say ''Jaxson didn't make a single mistake!!'', I said ''Jax was actually very good defensively for several stretches''. Obviously that allows for a few mistakes. He's 19, making a few mistakes is allowed. Overall he was good.
    Look, JAX is an incredible talent, and will have a very good career. Right now he's a not a very good player, nor should he be. He's only been playing competitive basketball regularly for three years. He is a "Flash or Crash" player (there is no middle ground)….his cerebral game is non-existent. He'll either mesmerize you with is God given talent or dumbfound you with his boneheaded play. One day, it'll click for him, but that is a season or two away.

That's why I would have paired Zion with Melli for a block of time. Neither Favors or JAX will spread the floor.

Look, JAX is an incredible talent, and will have a very good career. Right now he's a not a very good player, nor should he be. He's only been playing competitive basketball regularly for three years. He is a "Flash or Crash" player (there is no middle ground)….his cerebral game is non-existent. He'll either mesmerize you with is God given talent or dumbfound you with his boneheaded play. One day, it'll click for him, but that is a season or two away.
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of people saying this because usually it's just an excuse to avoid discussing the issues, but I'm genuinely convinced we didn't watch the same game.

Jax made errors, yes. Nobody is denying that. He also maintained verticality and defended Aldridge on multiple plays without fouling or jumping at fakes, held good position on drives from guards without swiping, moved his feet well, and even attempted to draw that charge from LMA (frankly, it was an offensive foul, refs just didn't care).

Did he also have some stupid moments? Sure. Nobody, again, nobody is saying he's flawless. Of course he's not.

But to say he's all flash or nothing, and that unless he's doing ''mesmerising'' ''talent'' plays his game is ''non-existent''... that's just not reality. It's not based on the actual play during games.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    There was no spacing problem with that unit whatsoever. Ingram and Holiday had wide open looks. Plus both can create their own shot. Favors was scoring easily in the 1st half. They hadnt shot this poorly all year and it had nothing to do with poor spacing.

The only issue is they need time playing together and Ingram and Holiday need to step it up when everybody is looking. For the most part they played like deer in the headlights tonight.
    That’s because the spurs were sagging off and crowding the paint and dared both Ingram and Holiday to beat them deep. Their plan was clearly to stop the dribble penetration and crowd the paint.

That’s because the spurs were sagging off and crowding the paint and dared both Ingram and Holiday to beat them deep. Their plan was clearly to stop the dribble penetration and crowd the paint.
    Well they didnt stop any dribble penetration because most of the Pelicans points were coming in the paint early. Thats the main reason they were only down 8 - 10 points after only shooting 35% + all the turnovers. San Antonio should have been up 20.

Spacing is not an issue. They will not start another game this year 0-10 from 3.

Too much spotlight on beta players was the problem tonight not spacing. It was a playoff atmosphere in there tonight and outside of Zion (in the 4th) and Hart, the team didnt respond well.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-23-2020 at 12:16 AM.

Thread Information