Pelicans Report

Thread: The Glorious Return Of Zion

Pelicans The Glorious Return Of Zion

http://foxsports.com/?qs=cce192a001e...2ffa85bd7abaf0

The reviews are all positive!

Chris Herring, FiveThirtyEight: “So why all the statistical faith in New Orleans? There are a handful of reasons, but two stand out. First, the model believes the Pelicans’ roster at completely full strength has the talent of a 50-win club. And second, the other six teams in the fight for that last playoff seed all have far tougher remaining schedules.”

Andy Bailey, Bleacher Report: “Health concerns accompany Zion's unprecedented combination of size and explosiveness. New Orleans spent part of his rehab from the torn meniscus re-teaching him how to run and walk in an effort to prevent future injuries. Landing, planting, cutting and exploding with that level of force and weight is a lot for joints to handle. A dedication to his body similar to that displayed by LeBron could go a long way toward keeping Zion on the floor.”

Jack Maloney, CBS Sports: “Now, finally, Williamson is set for his debut. When the Pelicans host the Spurs on Wednesday night, he'll be playing, and the game has been flexed into a prime-time national TV spot. This is a rare regular-season game that will entice not only the hardcore fans and analysts, but the casual observers as well. The only other game that has even had close to the same level of intrigue was the opening night matchup between the Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers.”

Hall of Famer
    I agree with herring as well. If everybody plays up to their ability this is a 50 win team

Basically they could be a really good lower seed If they make the playoffs
    Last edited by Speakthetruth; 01-21-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Funny how different everyone sounds after just one week.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

It's going to be great. This team does have legitimate potential. I predicted them to win something like 48 games before the season started, and while that's beyond reach now because of the injuries and the awful schedule and whatnot, that 48 win level of talent still exists, waiting to be released.

If we can put it all together, get everyone healthy (obviously Zion coming back is huge here) and focus in properly, we can make that #8 seed and present a really tough matchup to whoever gets in at #1.
    Basketball.

Here's the Zion media availability from today, by the way. Most of you have probably already seen it, but there it is.

Here's a transcription of some of the answers:

How difficult was the waiting process?

Zion: It's been very difficult. If y'all saw me meditating on the sideline during games... it's been very hard, but it's finally here. I finally get to go back out there.

Speaking of sleep, how are you going to sleep tonight?

Zion: Honestly, I don't know if I'm gonna get sleep, I'm going to be too excited thinking about my first NBA name.

A stat came out that showed that, even while injured, your name has been searched on Google more times than Giannis and James Harden combined. How do you think fans will react to finally seeing you play?

Zion: I know the people of New Orleans are going to show a lot of love because that's what they do, but to be honest all I can do is invite the love. If they wanna bring it, then bring it. [Asked if it's wild how many people check in on him] Of course, I'm still 19, I'm taking all of this in, but I'm just enjoying the process.

How have the last few months been, getting to know New Orleans, the people, and the city?

Zion: It's been great. The city's beautiful and the people are beautiful as well. They're welcoming, it feels like they've adopted me a bit, they show love everywhere I go, and they tell me that they can't wait for me to get back out there.

How does this compare to that first game at Duke?

Zion: I don't know, I think there might be a little different magnitude to this one. It's my first NBA game, this is business now. It's different.

Do you think there will be a learning curve?

Zion: I do think there will be a learning curve but I don't think it will be nothing dramatic, it'll be something where, I think, we're pros and we'll just adapt maybe after a game or two.

How good do you think you can be off the bat?

Zion: Man, do I even get to determine that, to be honest? My plan is to go out there and contribute where coach needs me.

What has been the focus of your rehab?

Zion: Flexibility, really, and I've been working on my landing a lot. Those two things will help me a lot [what changes would those be to landing?] I think it's just not landing with straight legs, making sure all the force goes down into my legs, it's a lot of technical stuff I can't explain it to be honest I could probably show you on video better.

From pre-season where you matched up with Rudy Gobert and scored 26 on the Jazz, how did that feel? Did that give you the knowledge that, even early, you can bang with some of the big guys and the best on the NBA level?

Zion: Um, it was a great boost for morale obviously. As a rookie you come in and you don't know what to expect because you're going from college kids to grown men and pros. So I think for me to have an okay game, I mean it was pre-season so I don't know how serious he was taking it, but to have an okay game makes me think my adjustment won't be as bad.

What do you think it will be like tomorrow, with that environment?

Zion: I'm not sure! I hope the fans are there but I'm just looking to go out there and help my teammates win.

Thoughts on Ingram and getting to play with him?

Zion: I've had a lot of fun watching him. In my opinion he's a definite all-star, I've gotta say that, and he's come so far in just a few months from when we started and I'm just looking to feed off that.

Things you've learned about yourself and your body going into the year to handle an NBA schedule as opposed to a college one.

Zion: I did learn a lot about my body in this time period, and it came a lot from watching film and where to use my energy and try to make smarter reads to not exhaust so much energy.

Are your friends and family coming to the game?

Zion: I would hope so, they are my friends and family [laughs].

What's been the hardest part of this process?

Zion: The rehab workouts. They're long and strenuous, it was a lot of times where I just wanted to punch a wall or kick chairs because it's frustrating to not be able to move the way you want to, to not make any athletic movements, so it's tough especially because I'm 19 and I wanna play in my first NBA game, so it was tough but I battled through.

What have you learned while sat on the sidelines that you can apply to your own game?

Zion: I think it's just the attention to detail on defense. You can always look at a scouting report but it's a matter of the feel of the game and who you're guarding.

Is there any part of you that looks at getting an injury like this early as a blessing in disguise?

Zion: That's exactly what my mom said, she just said that it was a chance to focus on my body and on any small mechanics that need to be fixed. [Are you concerned about further knee issues?] I think it [this process] does help with future injuries, some things I'm going to continue to have a lesser chance of getting hurt. I've talked with the training staff about it, you know, it's consistency and sticking with the programme.

After the losing streak is it exciting to be coming back at a time where the team is headed in the right direction?

Zion: Very exciting to be coming back during this time. We did go through a bad stretch but we turned it around, everyone's playing better, and I'm just looking forward to getting to play with them.

Are you nervous, or is it just basketball?

Zion: It's just basketball. This is what I do. Been doing it since I was 4. Going to go out there and just have fun and be there with my teammates.

Are you thinking about the playoff push that might be happening?

Zion: A little bit but I think if I was to do that, I'd be looking too far into the future. I think it's just one game at a time and that's what's been working for us.

Meditating, lol...this kid is awesome.

I have serious concerns about the ability of the Smoothie King Center handling the stress that will occur when Zion makes his first dunk

I wish I could make the game tonight! I am so pumped for this debut! He is just such a joy to watch, Such an exciting player! With Zion, Ingram, Jrue, JJ, Favors We will NOT be easy to beat. Our biggest problem early on has been defense, we have been scoring like crazy but we just cant seem to stop other teams like we have in the past! I just hope he can have a productive long career with minimal injuries! LETS GOO!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captaustin View Post
    I wish I could make the game tonight! I am so pumped for this debut! He is just such a joy to watch, Such an exciting player! With Zion, Ingram, Jrue, JJ, Favors We will NOT be easy to beat. Our biggest problem early on has been defense, we have been scoring like crazy but we just cant seem to stop other teams like we have in the past! I just hope he can have a productive long career with minimal injuries! LETS GOO!!!
    Still plenty of seats left. 20 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Still plenty of seats left. 20 bucks
    I am shocked that there are still a lot of seats. Wish I could be there tonight

Let's dance!

Lonzo will be ready to throw the oops from under his own basket!

Thread Information