Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 18th January - New Orleans Pelicans vs Los Angeles Clippers - 16-26

Pelicans 18th January - New Orleans Pelicans vs Los Angeles Clippers - 16-26

Despite the best effort of Rudy Gobert and the officials, the New Orleans Pelicans defeated the Jazz in OT last game, claiming back the win they stole from us earlier in the month when the dreaded No-Call went down. We have now won 9 of our 12 games since December 23rd, including 5 of our last 7. That's not bad, even acknowledging that many of those games were against terrible teams (Detroit, Knicks, Chicago come to mind). Especially when you consider our injury woes. Speaking of injury woes, tonight we take on the Los Angeles Clippers, and here's the injury report for this game:

5 players being listed as out is bad, of course, but it's important to note these aren't new guys. The 5 are Jrue, Kenrich, Zion, Miller, and Okafor, all of whom missed last game too, and indeed many games in the New Year. JJ is listed as being questionable.

Now, we aren't the only team missing someone:

No Paul George.

Clippers are 29-13. They are ranked 5th in the NBA on offense and 7th in defense, as well as 8th in pace; this is despite starting the year without PG and having rested Kawhi for a bunch of games too. Strangely enough, they haven't really gone on any runs; they're only 5-2 in their last 7, just like we are, but they've never really had a losing streak either. They've only had consecutive losses once this season, and it was back in early November.

11th in FG%, 11th in 3PT%, 10th in FT% (and 2nd in attempts), the Clippers are a pretty efficient team all around. They don't foul either, being the 5th least foul-prone team in the league. They're 3rd in rebounds, and are top 10 in 3 of the Four Offensive Factors. They're good at basketball.

Obviously with no PG, their lead guy is Kawhi Leonard. Kawhi's putting up 27/7/5 on +2rTS%, playing only 32 minutes per night. All of his advanced metrics are stellar. There's no need for me to tell you that we need to focus on preventing him from taking over. Aside from that, it's just a case of trying to attack inside where they lack a major interior defensive presence, and doing our best defensively.

Let's go and do what we can. No shame in a loss for this one, but it would be a real coup if we could pull it out. #WBD
    Basketball.

Was Jrue that elbow contusion? Seems like a looooong time for an elbow contusion. Unless I missed something.

Sad for Kenny Hustle. He won't get many min when Zion comes back, JMO
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Was Jrue that elbow contusion? Seems like a looooong time for an elbow contusion. Unless I missed something.

Well, they've modified it a bit. It's not listed as an elbow contusion anymore, it's listed as a tricep strain. So maybe that explains it, somewhat.

And yep, Kenny's gonna have very few minutes when everyone's back healthy. He'll play in blowouts, garbage time, stuff like that, and maybe in spot lineups if people do get injured again (I do not trust us to maintain perfect, roster-round health for 40 games) but his days of regular time are done.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

I don’t get it. I watched the replay of Jrues injury again.

He barley went down on his elbow. I don’t understand why he has been out this long unless the elbow injury resulted in another injury. That injury being the triceps injury.

It’s his off shooting arm too. Feels soft to me but whatever.

I thought I heard Griff say they would practice with Zion again yesterday. Seems like they didnt given the OT game and walking wounded.

Disney gonna be mad Griff pulls a touche on Wednesday. lol

So, I’m just wondering.... did one of our players have sex with the head of officiating’s daughter?

Only explanation I could think of why the refs are against us every game.

The Franchise
    So far there's been about 4 clear fouls on us that haven't been called.

Gonna be hard to beat the Clippers and the Refs!
    Actual proof Greivis Vasquez can throw Anthony Davis an Alley-OOP on an (kinda) fastbreak!

Seven turnovers in first quarter and we are still up by two. Also, BI hasn't gotten off yet.

Well, our 3 point shooting is lights out right now!

Love watching Favors handle the inside pass and finish after so many years of watching balls bounce off of Asik and Ajinca's face...

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Pels should be up 10 right now, but the refs have decided that a foul on every possession is necessary to help the Clippers.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Lmao how many free throws have the Clippers shot already?

The Franchise
    Man this is some bullshet!!

Smart by the coaching staff to go with Favors on Harrell.

Leonard screams every. Single. Time. He. Drives.

It’s amazing to me how good this team is playing I love it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post

While pushing off and using elbows to create space..

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    It’s amazing to me how good this team is playing I love it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy how things changes in a month!

We drastically need to fix this broken offense.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I'm at work so I'm just now looking at the score.... Holy crap 80-72 at halftime?? Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    While pushing off and using elbows to create space..
    Yup, and they only call it against him once all half!

Zo gets called for that extended elbow every time he does it... which isn’t often.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    It's honestly weird seeing that. He's typically very quiet on the floor.

Great half I the O zone.

However.... I don’t see us scoring 80 next half. If we don’t clean it up in the D zone and stop the turnovers... we will lose this game.

Need to stop the turnovers and stop putting them on the line.

Thread Information