Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 18th January - New Orleans Pelicans vs Los Angeles Clippers - 16-26

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    What started the 10-0 run in 1 minute to start the 4th quarter slick? Was it the bigs not being on the floor? Oh wait..
    Yes but why Hayes also? You can say that Favors was a negative this game but why wouldn't you make Hayes go against Patterson?

Lmao! You are desperate after the false narrative you made
    I baited you!! You ignored my last 5 posts proving you wrong time after time. I called
    You and your fair weather fan posts time after time. Yet respond to this post the first time I don’t provide facts.

You’re an absolute joke!

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    I baited you!! You ignored my last 5 posts proving you wrong time after time. I called
    You and your fair weather fan posts time after time. Yet respond to this post the first time I don’t provide facts.

You’re an absolute joke!
    Oh my! You tricked me!

There was no 10 - 0 run with Favors on the floor to start the forth. Saying it isn't going to make it so. At the 9:54 mark...Moore ended an 8-0 run and the Pelicans had the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Yes but why Hayes also? You can say that Favors was a negative this game but why wouldn't you make Hayes go against Patterson?
    I can’t tell you why.. I’m just not gonna sit here and blame the loss on those 3 minutes. If it was me I would have given Hayes atleast 5 minutes or until he picked up his 5th foul and insert Favors. I’m just not gonna jump at the first sight of us being down for the game and blame it on a 3 minute stretch by claiming it was due to having any bigs on the floor causing us to lose all momentum when we lost all momentum and a 10 point lead in 1 minute with a big on the floor.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-18-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    There was no 10 - 0 run with Favors on the floor to start the forth. Saying it isn't going to make it so. At the 9:54 mark...Moore ended an 8-0 run and the Pelicans had the lead.
    LoL maybe hit that rewind button and try again!

I thought the Clips got a lot of soft calls in this game, but FTs were about even with 36 for Pels and 39 for them. Lou, Mont, and Leonard all had double digit FTs. Hayes had 12. We missed a whole bunch though. Right around 60% for the game.

Sucks to lose but we played well until the 4th quarter.

Edit - I can get over soft fouls but I do get pretty annoyed when a guy like Beverly is out there fouling and they wanna call it hustle because of his reputation. Like Draymond every playoff series.
    Last edited by AD-AT; 01-18-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Hey chirrens. Don't forget to take this energy to the ballot box and vote for Ingram.

Just google NBA All-Star Vote.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Oh my! You tricked me!
    Lol. Continuous joke of a person.

Quote Originally Posted by AD-AT View Post
    I thought the Clips got a lot of soft calls in this game, but FTs were about even with 36 for Pels and 39 for them. Lou, Mont, and Leonard all had double digit FTs. Hayes had 12. We missed a whole bunch though. Right around 60% for the game.

Edit - I can get over soft fouls but I do get pretty annoyed when a guy like Beverly is out there fouling and they wanna call it hustle because of his reputation. Like Draymond every playoff series.
    Theme of the season. This is how you lose games. Gotta close out better. Regardless of how well we play the rest of the game, we need to make sure we stay in control.

Quote Originally Posted by AD-AT View Post

Yea I 100% agree! I thought we actually played a solid 4th quarter outside of the first minute where we were out scored 10-0 allowing them to tie the game up. We hung in there all night against a very good and deep team. Had we just had a couple more bounces go our way and we win this game. Never like losing but you can takes positives out of some losses and this one we did some things very well most of the game.

Not converting free throws is what killed us.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Basketball Guru
    beginning of the 4th we settle for 3s and we got away from what was our best offense and that was pnr and getting inside points.........we also stop attacking and settle for outside shots.......i believe if we had okafor available to get some mins and inside points,,we would had won this game....

gentry is our coach and the FO has to give him the personal he need to run his small ball system or get a coach that will run something different......this is like giving gentry, monty players all over again.....you got to give the man a 4th big that he will play after zion,,favors and hayes or get a coach in here that will not play a small ball set......

and this team suck at free throws...the whole team should be practicing shooting free throws for hours...

it was a good game and i enjoyed it.....

So, I missed this game live (unfortunately, I will watch it later) but just looking at the box score and reading through a few comments, I have a few feelings about what I'm going to see when I do finally see the whole thing.

Pels play good offense, but can't slow down the Clippers on the other side of the ball. Whenever they do start to get some defense together, inopportune foul calls kill the momentum; game finishes with roughly even FTAs for each team, but due to the timing of the Clips calls it feels like they got the benefit of the whistle more than we did. 21 turnovers in the game led to too many transition opportunities that we couldn't defend properly. We had the advantage within the paint (that's what 22 points in 28 minutes for Favors and 14 points in 15 minutes for Hayes implies, anyway) but for some reason declined to press it, instead settling for badly timed threes. Some of these threes were falling early in the game, and this amplified the team's confidence for later on, but somewhere between halftime and the start of the 4th we cooled off from range, but the team never realised it and continued shooting threes until it was clear the game was out of our control. At that point we fought back to within a handful of points but it was just too late and we weren't able to overcome the issues from earlier.

Does any of that sound about right? That's my Nostradamus prediction going into the game.
    Basketball.

Edit: a closer look at our percentage at the FT line reminds me of how before the season, I was pointing out how we had very few good FT shooters on the team (Ingram's improvement has been huge, but before the season started nobody in our starting lineup had shot better than 80% the previous season!) and I said that this issue would probably cost us a couple of games down the stretch when we bled points at the line.

Here we are, 3 point loss in a game where we shot 23-36 from the FT line.

Jrue and Zion being back wouldn't have fixed this, because Jrue is a meh FT shooter and Zion is only about as good as Hayes from the line (high 60s). Guys gotta get better on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Not converting free throws is what killed us.
    &turnovers.

I suggest we practice this. Practice free throws and ball control all day at the next practice.

Final statlines I guess

Starters:
    Ingram: 21 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists. 7/18 shooting (38.9%) and 2/8 from 3 (25%). 4 turnovers, 4 fouls.
    Ball: 18 points, 10 rebounds, 11 assists. 7/16 shooting (43.8%) and 4/9 from 3 (44.4%). 6 turnovers, 3 fouls.
    Hart: 9 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist. 4/10 shooting (40%) and 1/6 from 3 (16.7%). 3 turnovers, 4 fouls.
    Redick: 19 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists. 5/12 shooting (41.7%) and 3/6 from 3 (50%). 2 turnovers, 1 foul.
    Favors: 22 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists. 10/10 shooting (100%). 0 turnovers, 3 fouls.

Bench:
    Jax: 14 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists. 3/3 shooting (100%). 1 turnover, 4 fouls.
    Moore: 9 points, 1 rebound, 3 assists. 4/8 shooting (50%), and 1/5 from 3 (20%). 1 turnover, 0 fouls.
    Frank: 8 points, 0 rebounds, 1 assist. 3/3 shooting (100%). 0 turnovers, 4 fouls.
    NAW: 10 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist. 3/6 shooting (50%) and 2/5 from 3 (40%). 2 turnovers, 2 fouls.

Advanced Stats from this game:

Best Net Rating: JJ Redick (+18), followed by Hayes (+16.8)
    Worst Net Rating: Frank Jackson (-37.8), followed by Moore (-34)

TS% Leader: Frank Jackson (133%), followed by Favors (93.5%)
    Lowest TS%: Josh Hart (45%), followed by Ingram (49.8%)
    REB% Leader: Derrick Favors (21.2%), then Hayes (14.7%))
    REB% Lowest: Melli and Frank both tied at 0%
    AST% Leader: Lonzo (39.3%) then Hayes (30.8%)
    Lowest AST%: Melli (+0%) then Hart with 3.4%

Scrn Assists Leader: Favors (4), leading to 11 points. Then Hayes with 3, for 8 points.
    Deflections Leader: Hart, with 3.
    2pt Contests Leader: Hayes, with 10. Followed by Favors with 7.
    3pt Contests Leader: Ball, with 6. Followed by Hayes with 5.
    Overall Contests Leader: Hayes, with 15.
    Boxouts Leader: Hayes and Favors tied with 4 each.

Also just going to say to the Jrue Haters, if he plays last game Mitchell doesn't get 46 and we run away with that game and if he plays today Kawhi and Lou aren't getting 39 and 32 and we would have won. We tend to undervalue defense, too much. He is a vital lynchpin to sustained success.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Also just going to say to the Jrue Haters, if he plays last game Mitchell doesn't get 46 and we run away with that game and if he plays today Kawhi and Lou aren't getting 39 and 32 and we would have won. We tend to undervalue defense, too much. He is a vital lynchpin to sustained success.
    We also could have had more turnovers and missed offensive production due to bad shot selection. Goes both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree!!!!

….and despite the terrible free throw percentage and our propensity to turn the ball over, if we weren't among the league leaders in giving up uncontested layups, we'd probably have a winning record,

Jrue gets so much shtick that he just doesn't deserve. Yes, he had a really rough start to this year, and it sucked. We all get that, and I don't think any Jrue fans would deny it. But he really is a fantastically talented player, has been for the last several years, and I find it really weird that so few people are willing to give him the same benefit of the doubt that they're willing to give to other players with far less impressive back-catalogues.

Lets not get over zealous about Jrue. He is not this teams best player and never will be on any non-lottery team. He is a really nice 3rd wheel.

And Donovan Mitchell dropped 40 on Jrue his rookie year in Utah I'm pretty sure.

This is a team that relies on youth and a head coach that goes through erratic rotations. Ls like this are inevitable. THey'll happen with a fully healthy roster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Lets not get over zealous about Jrue. He is not this teams best player and never will be on any non-lottery team.
    I don't anyone is really saying that though. But there are people that talk about Jrue like he's some kind of washed up scrub that we should be eagerly looking to trade at first instance for whoever is willing to toss us the 19th pick and some sub-par young prospect, and that's just absurd.

Jrue was a top 20 player last year. He was a top 25 player the year before. He started this year off badly, nobody is denying that, but he's a very, very good basketball player who has given a lot to this franchise and deserves more consideration and benefit of the doubt than he's getting from some.

Doc Rivers also felt that they made their run when they went small and we tried to match....with BI at the 5 and Lonzo at the 4....

yeah

Thread Information