Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beal angry at Wizards again ?

Beal angry at Wizards again ?

We have a lot to offer now. Do we go get Beal now?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...mid-trade-buzz

I'm pretty sure Beal is not eligible to be traded this year because of the extension he signed at the beginning of the season. That being said, I think now that we know who Ingram is, Beal probably is not necessary for this team. There's a lot of overlap in their games, and I'm not sure they could co-exist.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I'm pretty sure Beal is not eligible to be traded this year because of the extension he signed at the beginning of the season. That being said, I think now that we know who Ingram is, Beal probably is not necessary for this team. There's a lot of overlap in their games, and I'm not sure they could co-exist.
    This is correct. Beal can't be traded anywhere until the offseason. But, I'd be very interested in what it would take to get him then, because I don't think he and Ingram would get in each other's way at all. Both are very capable on and off ball creators who would create a ton of space for each other and playmake in units without another ballhandler. Still think the price will be too high for our taste though.

I don't get what the Pels fan obsession with Beal is. Could someone please explain it to me? Every time there's any kind of talk of any trade, it seems like everyone just zooms in on Beal. Is it exclusively because of the Wizards' situation making a trade slightly more likely than other stars, or is there some material reason that half of this fanbase seems to look at Beal so fanatically?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't get what the Pels fan obsession with Beal is. Could someone please explain it to me?
    Maybe because Beal is good

No seriously I think its because Beal is a good player that's a borderline superstar. He's playing a position of need as well we could use a true scorer at the 2. Jrue is a solid player but Beal can fill it up.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

No seriously I think its because Beal is a good player that's a borderline superstar. He's playing a position of need as well we could use a true scorer at the 2. Jrue is a solid player but Beal can fill it up.
    Jrue provides much more value to this particular Pels team than Beal does. Beal and Ingram can both fill it up, but both players are pretty awful defenders. I don't think you can have two bad defenders taking up over 50% of your cap. It would be fun to watch but it wouldn't lead to winning basketball.

I really think our best option for the foreseeable future is to hold on to what we have. We already have what appears to be 2 potential superstars on our roster. There's no reason to rush it by trading for Beal who doesn't necessarily fit, when you can wait around and maybe someone who does will become available for the same price. It's even possible you wait a year and Beal chooses us in FA, who really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

Beal is good, but so is (for example) McCollum. I don't wanna get into a debate over who is better here, but I find it interesting that whenever any talk about any trade comes up, everyone immediately clamours to throw Beal onto the table but barely anyone ever discusses McCollum.

I'm fully confident that Jrue (when healthy and integrated, i.e last season and the year before that) is a better player than Beal. Beal, for all he can score, is one of the worst defenders in the NBA this year, for example.

Jrue provides much more value to this particular Pels team than Beal does. Beal and Ingram can both fill it up, but both players are pretty awful defenders. I don't think you can have two bad defenders taking up over 50% of your cap. It would be fun to watch but it wouldn't lead to winning basketball.

I really think our best option for the foreseeable future is to hold on to what we have. We already have what appears to be 2 potential superstars on our roster. There's no reason to rush it by trading for Beal who doesn't necessarily fit, when you can wait around and maybe someone who does will become available for the same price. It's even possible you wait a year and Beal chooses us in FA, who really knows.
    Beal is far from a bad defender. However, I do not think we should trade a ton of assets for him.

Beal is good, but so is (for example) McCollum. I don't wanna get into a debate over who is better here, but I find it interesting that whenever any talk about any trade comes up, everyone immediately clamours to throw Beal onto the table but barely anyone ever discusses McCollum.

I'm fully confident that Jrue (when healthy and integrated, i.e last season and the year before that) is a better player than Beal. Beal, for all he can score, is one of the worst defenders in the NBA this year, for example.
    I don't think McCollum is on the level of Beal. However, I think Beal's name came up so much because around last trade deadline, his name came up a lot and someone who many thought had insider info said that the Pels were hot after him.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Beal is far from a bad defender. However, I do not think we should trade a ton of assets for him.
    Historically, no. He's been a fine defender. Not great but fine.

This year? He's been a garbage fire on D.

Historically, no. He's been a fine defender. Not great but fine.

This year? He's been a garbage fire on D.
    Well, look at what he is trying to do on his own on that dumpster fire of a team.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Well, look at what he is trying to do on his own on that dumpster fire of a team.
    Yea I was just using this year as my basis. He's like dead last in the NBA in a number of defensive metrics.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I don't get what the Pels fan obsession with Beal is. Could someone please explain it to me? Every time there's any kind of talk of any trade, it seems like everyone just zooms in on Beal. Is it exclusively because of the Wizards' situation making a trade slightly more likely than other stars, or is there some material reason that half of this fanbase seems to look at Beal so fanatically?
    Because there were a lot of links to us wanting him last year, which would have been done to appease AD. How legit were the rumors? Not sure.

Yea I was just using this year as my basis. He's like dead last in the NBA in a number of defensive metrics.
    This year, among all players, Beal's -4.09 DPIPM is last in the NBA. Just behind Colin Sexton, Trae Young, Rui Hachimura, and Isaiah Thomas. Yes, that means 3 of the league's worst 5 defenders are all on the Wizards

Among all SGs, Beal is also dead last in DRPM: 124th out of 124, ranking just behind Anfernee Simons.

Dude is absolutely blowing it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    He should have seen this coming. What's his deal, why did he even sign his extension then?

The only issue I’d have with Beal coming over is team chemistry.

He has that, I’m a badass and I know it and my S*** don’t stink attitude.

Like jimmy butler.

I don’t know if Beal fits from a character standpoint.

Ingram, Favors, Reddick, Zo, Hart, ect are all level headed guys that work well together. Beal would be oil in water with this group. I’d be worried.

A core of Lonzo, Jrue, Ingram, Zion, and Favors is not going to work ideally long-term.

A good reason for our recent resurgence has been the lineup change that has emphasized having four shooters on the court at all times.

If someone thinks Lonzo/Zion/Favors-Hayes are a key anchor of this team going forward, Jrue doesn’t work. Timeline or skillset. Not if your aspirations are championships.

Beal makes more sense than McCollum because he is a more well rounded player. He can guard up or down a position and I don’t buy his defensive numbers this year. He is a solid defender mechanically who has all the tools to be even better on a team actually competing for something worth giving a crap about.

People bring up Beal because everyone knows his days in Washington are likely numbered. He is there best asset to jumpstart a rebuild and moving him is really their only option. He also fits nicely, which isn’t to say other players don’t fit nicely as well. Myles Turner for instance would be a great pick up and make keeping Jrue a greater possibility. McCollum could both replace Lonzo or Jrue in the lineup and probably make the team better offensively. But will always be a liability defensively and will turn 29 next season.

Lonzo/Beal/Ingram/Zion/Favors is a deep playoff team, and with guys like NAW and Hayes off the bench developing nicely, to go with Reddick and Hart. That is a team with an outside chance at a finals appearance next season.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    A core of Lonzo, Jrue, Ingram, Zion, and Favors is not going to work ideally long-term.

A good reason for our recent resurgence has been the lineup change that has emphasized having four shooters on the court at all times.

If someone thinks Lonzo/Zion/Favors-Hayes are a key anchor of this team going forward, Jrue doesn’t work. Timeline or skillset. Not if your aspirations are championships.

Beal makes more sense than McCollum because he is a more well rounded player. He can guard up or down a position and I don’t buy his defensive numbers this year. He is a solid defender mechanically who has all the tools to be even better on a team actually competing for something worth giving a crap about.

People bring up Beal because everyone knows his days in Washington are likely numbered. He is there best asset to jumpstart a rebuild and moving him is really their only option. He also fits nicely, which isn’t to say other players don’t fit nicely as well. Myles Turner for instance would be a great pick up and make keeping Jrue a greater possibility. McCollum could both replace Lonzo or Jrue in the lineup and probably make the team better offensively. But will always be a liability defensively and will turn 29 next season.

Lonzo/Beal/Ingram/Zion/Favors is a deep playoff team, and with guys like NAW and Hayes off the bench developing nicely, to go with Reddick and Hart. That is a team with an outside chance at a finals appearance next season.
    I was always in the mindset that the core starting lineup of this team is Lonzo/NAW/BI/Zion/Hayes. With hopefully Jrue agreeing to move into an Iguodala role in a couple years. Favors as well.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I was always in the mindset that the core starting lineup of this team is Lonzo/NAW/BI/Zion/Hayes. With hopefully Jrue agreeing to move into an Iguodala role in a couple years. Favors as well.
    I’m still not sold on Lonzo long term. I do like how he’s at least driving to the rim now. It’s mostly bang for the buck, his next contract will prob be more than it should be. If he was in the 10-13 million range I’d be happy but just a feeling it’s going to cost us 20+.

Beal (not till next year) would give us another scorer that would help spread the court for Zion and some driving lanes. I think Jrue guarding the best perimeter player frees up Beal or even Reddick to not be as bad of a defensive liability.

I do believe Jrue and Lonzo are kind of redundant. I think you keep one or the other and I’d rather Jrue.

So you're saying you don't get the...........aBeal?

(•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

Sorry, I'm late.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’m still not sold on Lonzo long term. I do like how he’s at least driving to the rim now. It’s mostly bang for the buck, his next contract will prob be more than it should be. If he was in the 10-13 million range I’d be happy but just a feeling it’s going to cost us 20+.

Beal (not till next year) would give us another scorer that would help spread the court for Zion and some driving lanes. I think Jrue guarding the best perimeter player frees up Beal or even Reddick to not be as bad of a defensive liability.

I do believe Jrue and Lonzo are kind of redundant. I think you keep one or the other and I’d rather Jrue.
    If Lonzo gets a $20+M contract it would be because he earned it. I dont see Griff overpaying with all of the options we have.

You don't think Jrue would agree to a bench role? Iggy took his 6th man role at age 31 and they pretty much had the same career. I feel like these guys really like each other and want to play together for as long as possible.

Beal is cool and all, but I feel like NAW has star potential and fits in with the personality of this team. I really wouldnt touch this team trying to bring in another star. We are set for the future imo, just need to continue to add role players through the draft and free agency. But dont need to give up assets. We have plenty of picks to keep the bench loaded.

Zo/Jrue/Frank
    NAW/Didi
    BI/Hart
    Zion/Kenrich?(draft pick? Paul Reed?)
    Hayes/Favors

That's a scary championship favorite team in 2 years imo.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 01-19-2020 at 02:32 PM.

If Lonzo gets a $20+M contract it would be because he earned it. I dont see Griff overpaying with all of the options we have.
    I don't see it as Griff having a choice. If he's shown even the slightest bit of consistency in his improvement, some team out there will offer him a lot of money. He was the #2 overall pick, he'll still be relatively young, he's a big name for various reasons; some desperate team with no other real road to success (Knicks, maybe?) will throw him a big fat cheque and because it's RFA, we'll either have to match or let him walk. So either we pay him $20m+ or we get nothing.

That's not to say he won't earn it. Maybe he will, maybe he explodes in the latter half of this season and then keeps it up through next season and we're happy to pay him that money. But the idea that the only way he'd get offered it is if he was definitely worth it? Not reflective of reality, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    So you're saying you don't get the...........aBeal?

(•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

Sorry, I'm late.

...I'm not sure if that's well played or if it makes me wanna fight you

I don't see it as Griff having a choice. If he's shown even the slightest bit of consistency in his improvement, some team out there will offer him a lot of money. He was the #2 overall pick, he'll still be relatively young, he's a big name for various reasons; some desperate team with no other real road to success (Knicks, maybe?) will throw him a big fat cheque and because it's RFA, we'll either have to match or let him walk. So either we pay him $20m+ or we get nothing.

That's not to say he won't earn it. Maybe he will, maybe he explodes in the latter half of this season and then keeps it up through next season and we're happy to pay him that money. But the idea that the only way he'd get offered it is if he was definitely worth it? Not reflective of reality, imo.
    Jahlil Okafor was the #2 pick as well and nobody was willing to give him more than the minimum on his 2nd contract. Tyreke Evans was Rookie of the year and only got 4 year $44 million on his 2nd contract, same with Steph Curry. Maybe someone does try to overpay Lonzo but there really isn't history to point to, to believe that will happen. Plus, I think we're in a position as a team where Lonzo will take what he's earned to stay here and grow, than take an overpayment to go to a team where that might end up being his last big contract.

Jahlil Okafor was the #2 pick as well and nobody was willing to give him more than the minimum on his 2nd contract. Tyreke Evans was Rookie of the year and only got 4 year $44 million on his 2nd contract, same with Steph Curry. Maybe someone does try to overpay Lonzo but there really isn't history to point to, to believe that will happen. Plus, I think we're in a position as a team where Lonzo will take what he's earned to stay here and grow, than take an overpayment to go to a team where that might end up being his last big contract.
    Maybe you're right, but Jah never had the kind of hype surrounding him that Lonzo did, and Jah was also playing a brand of basketball that was getting left behind by the league as he came in. Lonzo, for all his flaws, looks like a modern player: he runs the floor, he throws lobs, he launches a billion threes, etc. Similarly, Tyreke was ROTY but showed consistent degradation over the life of his rookie deal: Lonzo has, arguably, shown some improvement over his so far and could very possibly show even more next year. That's a different career path to Tyreke that potential bidders will view differently.

You might well be right, I'm not telling you that you're definitely wrong: I'm not in any front office, I don't know. And you may be right again when you say that Lonzo might take what he perceives as a pay-cut to stay here. Other players have done the same for franchises before. I'm just saying that you can't assume that he'll definitely be worth whatever contract ends up coming his way.

Thread Information