Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 16th January - New Orleans Pelicans VS Utah Jazz - 15-26

Pelicans 16th January - New Orleans Pelicans VS Utah Jazz - 15-26

Having hit 15 wins, and with Sacramento losing last night, we are now tied with Sacramento in record. That means if we win tonight, with Sacramento not playing, we will move up a spot in the West. We will be only 3 games behind the 8th seed, if I remember correctly, despite all the struggles. And with a Zion return date now confirmed as the 22nd against San Antonio by Griff, we have the knowledge that each game that passes is one closer to seeing Zanos take court in a Pelicans jersey for real.

Tonight will be a slightly tougher one than we might like though: we're taking on the Utah Jazz. Currently 28-12, the Jazz have won 15 of their last 16 games, having lost only one game since December 11th: they're on a 10 game win streak. We played the Jazz last only a few weeks ago, and lost (though it was only a 2pt loss). Now, the Jazz have been taking advantage of a very soft bit of scheduling here: since January 1st, they've played Chicago, Orlando, us, Knicks, Hornets, Washington and Brooklyn: this is hardly murderer's row. Still, we can't be overconfident. Especially with the injuries we've had.

So what's our injury status?

Well, Ingram and Favors are both listed as probable, while Jrue and Kenrich remain out and JJ is questionable.

I won't go over all the Jazz stats in detail: we last played them recently and they've only beaten a bunch of poor teams since then. They're top 11 in ORTG and DRTG, they're a poor assists team, they lead the league in 3PT%, and Joe Ingles smoked us last time: that's about all the refreshment you need

Somewhat of a shame, though, that we won't get to see Zion go up against Gobert again. Recently, some members of Jazz twitter had (upon hearing the rumours of a Zion return) been speaking up, saying things like ''oh, are you sure you wanna bring Zion back against us? You know we have Gobert right? You might wanna start him off a little easier '' and while reminding them that Zion dropped 26 on Gobert in 23 minutes on 75% shooting during preseason is fun, it would be much more fun to watch him do it again as a reminder.

Oh well; we'll just have to see who turns up ready to play and let them go after it with their best shots. A win here would be great, but it's certainly no huge shame if there's a loss. Let's go. #WBD
    Basketball.

#1 key in this game obviously...limit Bojan and Ingles from doing whatever that was they did in the last game in the Pnr. Mix the package up. Might have to switch on them and stunt a few times to make them see a different look each time up the court. If we truly view ourselves as a good team, we need to tighten up on pick and roll defense.

Wow. To further expound upon the OP.....during this 16 game stretch where the Jazz have won a very impressive 15 games.....only ONE of those games have been against a team with a winning record. Just wow.

Now yeah. We did lose to them....allegedly. But still. Eff these guys. I want a win here for so many emotional reasons. Favors and Ingram back will be huge.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Yay, we're slowly getting our team back.

Favors and Ingram are IN.

Jrue, JJ, and Oak are OUT as well as the others that are out, Zion, Kenny, Miller...

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post

Jrue, JJ, and Oak are OUT as well as the others that are out, Zion, Kenny, Miller...

how did okafor get hurt?...or is he getting traded?...

go pels...

Might wish we had more back, but Favors and Ingram are a huge boon to see them both approved. Favors means that Jax won't have to spend the entire game dealing with Gobert personally, and Ingram means that Lonzo doesn't have to try and do everything in the halfcourt, which we all know he struggles with at times.

Most of this is just due to injury, although a couple of these lineup changes have been Gentry tinkering (particularly early in the season), but damn. We've had a new lineup basically every 2 games. Well, every 2.3 games, but you can't have 1/3 of a game in this respect, soooooo....

This one will be mighty intriguing. Surely Utah can’t be as hot as they were last time? Surely we can’t either? Will this be a grind or another bucketfest?

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    how did okafor get hurt?...or is he getting traded?...

go pels...
    Sore low back, probably from banging with Drummond all last game

Sore low back, probably from banging with Drummond all last game
    My man went out there, scored 25, and was like ''damn, that's me done for the month''.

Not a great way to start the game. Lonzo takes a 3 with 15+ left on the clock. No penetration from anyone, very little ball movement. Bricked

Really rough pocket pass from Hart, noway near on target.

Good drive from Lonzo there, resulted in a nice open 3

Well Josh, that's one way to try and guard the PnR.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    My man went out there, scored 25, and was like ''damn, that's me done for the month''.
    Yeah, that was like 3 games worth for him

Lonzo Stop Shooting 20 Foot Jumpers 2020

Took a few tries there but we got a good transition dunk there

Favors dime dropper

Down 28-25 after the first quarter. Not the worst thing in the world, still pretty close, but things have looked a little less natural than one might like.

I like that, multiple screening actions by Jax to create separation.

Frank really needs to go to China. He'd win multiple MVPs there

Lonzo's doing a lot of passing work tonight as a connector, which is his best skill imo, particularly in the halfcourt. It's having a lot of success.

I'm no expert, but maybe our worst drivers shouldn't continue to directly attack the league's best shot blocker. But that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I'm no expert, but maybe our worst drivers shouldn't continue to directly attack the league's best shot blocker. But that's just me
    Sounds like a good recommendation tbh. The problem is that someone has to do some driving at some point, and without Jrue or Zion, and without Ingram on the court, that only really leaves Frank and Zo.

Thread Information