Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: 16th January - New Orleans Pelicans VS Utah Jazz - 15-26

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I like how you’ll only poke your head out when it's convenient, but you was a ghpst when the team was 6-22.

We all been saying that this is Gentry MO. Come out the gate a hot mess and then frantically climb back into come January.

Still inexcusable.
    I must have said we’d go on a run and end up around .500 50 times. I did not expect to see us at least ten games under 500. He butchered the first half of the season and even Griffin was frustrated with him. Luckily for us the 8th spot is absolute crap this year and we have an easier schedule coming up + reinforcement in Zion.

The problem with bringing in a new coach now though is you put them in a situation where they have to succeed immediately. So you are almost in a position where you have to stick with Alvin unless a sure thing like Carlisle decides he prefers Zion over Doncic. He had to go this offseason but they stuck with him. It is what it is.

Alvin is staying. The arguments against him tend to ignore the injuries, the insanely tough schedule, the facts that we are one of the youngest teams with the least continuity....blah blah blah. I mean, how can an argument use the ease of our closing schedule as a talking point to detract from our success while at the same time ignoring the polar opposite gauntlet we had to play to start the season contributed to our hole?....pretty much just cherry picking arguments to back a stance.

It's disingenuous to say "everything is lining up too nice to give Gentry credit for the closing success" and also not give him the benefit of the doubt for all the adversities to start the season.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-17-2020 at 01:15 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Alvin is staying. The arguments against him tend to ignore the injuries, the insanely tough schedule, the facts that we are one of the youngest teams with the least continuity....blah blah blah. I mean, how can an argument use the ease of our closing schedule as a talking point to detract from our success while at the same time ignoring the polar opposite gauntlet we had to play to start the season contributed to our hole?....pretty much just cherry picking arguments to back a stance.

It's disingenuous to say "everything is lining up too nice to give Gentry credit for the closing success" and also not give him the benefit of the doubt for all the adversities to start the season.
    That is a good point. Whether you think Gentry is to blame for the horrible start or not, it is disingenuous to only count the part of a variable (the schedule) when it supports your opinion and ignore it when it does not. It isn't like one can't find evidence to support their opinion either way on this subject without resorting to nitpicking in this manner

Real good times ahead? I think: ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! Consider, since ending the losing streak, we have gone 10 and 4, (approximately 1/6th of total season). This 714 winning pct was against competition that 50 percent were above 500 and the other 50 below. As DAE indicated only 35 percent of our remaining games are above 500 teams. ASSUMING we are able to continue this 700+ the rest of the way we may go 28 and 12 which would put us 44 wins and pushing for the 7th seed. With Jrue, JJ, and Zion returning within the next few games it is not unreasonable to believe we can do it. And remember, whomever we meet in playoffs, will be facing a team that has a win level of above 700 for the entire 2nd half of the season which would be better then the current 3 seed in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He shouldn't actively seek to take a bunch of them. But sprinkling in a few as he's already getting to the rim with ease and raining 3s is never a bad call.
    Yep, you're absolutely right. Nobody is saying ''taking a midrange shot is always the worst shot in any circumstance''. If you have no time/ability to get to the 3pt line or to the rim, or if the play is broken and you just need to get something, or if it's a clutch situation and you only need 2 (and therefore shot value isn't a priority, only shot-making is) then sure, or you're just trying to diversify your offense with one or two of them a game to make the defense respect it, then sure, take your midrange shot.

You just shouldn't be actively seeking them out all game, when shot-value is amplified in importance and there's an offensive benefit to other players to stretch the floor more.
    Basketball.

I already feel like the poster diversity in threads is increasing!!!

[Ron Paul It's Happening GIF]

Well well, Jazz fans

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I must have said we’d go on a run and end up around .500 50 times. I did not expect to see us at least ten games under 500. He butchered the first half of the season and even Griffin was frustrated with him. Luckily for us the 8th spot is absolute crap this year and we have an easier schedule coming up + reinforcement in Zion.

The problem with bringing in a new coach now though is you put them in a situation where they have to succeed immediately. So you are almost in a position where you have to stick with Alvin unless a sure thing like Carlisle decides he prefers Zion over Doncic. He had to go this offseason but they stuck with him. It is what it is.
    I've always been on board with letting Gentry have his dignity and finish the season and move him to FO.

We still let him walk. The highs and lows are just too jarring
    and inconsistent. As much you want to blame 6-22 all on injuries. We had atleast 8 losses on Gentry coming into the season unprepared and trying to figure stuff out. Well, we overcome the Gentry early season wall.

I know everyone including me is riding this insane high, but get ready for that sucker punch in the kidney low.

I've always been on board with letting Gentry have his dignity and finish the season and move him to FO.

and inconsistent. As much you want to blame 6-22 all on injuries. We had atleast 8 losses on Gentry coming into the season unprepared and trying to figure stuff out. Well, we overcome the Gentry early season wall.

I know everyone including me is riding this insane high, but get ready for that sucker punch in the kidney low.
    This is what I meant- I’m speaking in terms of next season. Hopefully whoever we hire is up for it because they won’t have the year to settle like they should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Well well, Jazz fans
    The real question is, how could this happen twice? Once could be a mistake but when it happens twice things start to look like either a straight up conspiracy or at a minimum favoritism. Which is it NBA? Why is this happening regularly?

I wouldn't have a problem with him being let go. Monty was sent packing for less.

I asked in another thread and nobody answered but what would he need to do to be retained in your mind? Would the second round be enough? Conference finals? Finals? Win it all? Surely, he could reach some level that would warrant keeping him. I'm going to say if he wins a series against the Lakers, Clips, Nugs, or Jazz he deserves to keep his job. But I won't cry if Griff cuts him loose.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with him being let go. Monty was sent packing for less.

I asked in another thread and nobody answered but what would he need to do to be retained in your mind? Would the second round be enough? Conference finals? Finals? Win it all? Surely, he could reach some level that would warrant keeping him. I'm going to say if he wins a series against the Lakers, Clips, Nugs, or Jazz he deserves to keep his job. But I won't cry if Griff cuts him loose.
    We have 21 of our final 30 games against below .500 opponents. If he goes .750 or better in those games, and we win a playoff series, then sure. Retain him.

Edit: just to clarify, I know that that's a fairly high requirement. That basically means that he needs to go 16-5 at least against sub-.500 teams in that final 30 game span, and winning a playoff series would be impressive since we're likely to be matched up against the #1 seed if we make it into the postseason. That is a big ask. It's a big ask on purpose: it would take a LOT of success to make me overturn my views on him.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-17-2020 at 07:46 PM.

He's already going to be retained. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    He's already going to be retained. Lol
    Well yeah, we all know that. He's friends with Griff, the FO in general likes him, and he's had excuses built in to the season for him. The question isn't ''is he going to be retained'', it was ''what would he need to do to be retained in your mind''. So it's asking for opinions.

True. I did miss that part.

I like how you’ll only poke your head out when it's convenient, but you was a ghpst when the team was 6-22.

We all been saying that this is Gentry MO. Come out the gate a hot mess and then frantically climb back into come January.

Still inexcusable.
    LoL really? I was actually poking my head the entire time we were losing and not while we have been winning.. nice try and if you need to check the receipts.. I was saying the exact same thing I am saying now. Don’t think anyone here will argue that. Maybe you but that’s what the misinformed do..

Thread Information