Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 16th January - New Orleans Pelicans VS Utah Jazz - 15-26

Also worth noting: if 14 of our remaining games are against +.500 teams, and we play Boston, Denver, Milwaukee, Rockets, and Clippers in the next 10 games, then that tells you that only 9 of our final 30 games are against teams which are +.500 right now.

21 out our final 30 games are against sub-.500 teams. That is an absolute invitation to close the year strong and get on a roll. That's as optimal a closing schedule as you could ask for.
    Basketball.

One thing is for sure is that there isnt a conspiracy by the league against us with the bad officiating. Lakers vs Pels in the first round could conceivably set a record for viewership of a first vs eighth seed matchup. The NBA would love to see this happen

Unbelievable win tonight guys. Let’s enjoy this one.

I’m just enjoying reading. Really can’t think of much to say I’m still so excited about this win.

Yeah. I'm still juiced. Gonna be a late night.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    good game....was a lil mad that we didnt force the ball out of mitchell hands in the 4th but frank body bag him in the last minute in overtime and killed utah offense....

griff need to talk all that star talk that he put on jrue back and give that to ingram because dude is showing the killer instinct.....pecking order should be ingram,,zion,,jrue...jrue would be glad to be 3rd scorer.....

if we could have won those close games we lost, we would be in the 8th spot right now..i think...
    This right here about Ingram and the pecking order. This is becoming Ingram’s team and we need to roll with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeds in the West after tonight

1) Lakers - 33-8 (.805)
    2) Nuggets - 29-12 (.707)
    3) Clippers - 29-13 (.690)
    4) Jazz - 28-13 (.683)
    5) Rockets - 26-14 (.650)
    6) Mavericks - 26-15 (.634)
    7) Thunder - 23-18 (.561)
    8) Grizzlies - 19-22 (.463)
    9) Spurs - 17-22 (.436)
    10) Blazers - 18-24 (.429)
    11) Suns - 17-24 (.415)
    12) Pelicans - 16-26 (.381)
    13) Wolves - 15-25 (.375)
    14) Kings - 15-26 (.366)
    15) Warriors - 9-34 (.209)

We are 3.5 games behind Memphis for the 8th seed with 40 games left to play. We have games against Memphis (x4), Spurs (x3), Portland, Minnesota (x2), Kings, and Phoenix left in the final 40 games. That means 12 of the 40 games we have remaining are against the very teams that we're fighting for that 8th seed spot. A full 30% of our remaining games. Those games obviously hold double value, because they not only give us extra wins but they enforce extra losses on those competitors.

That's not even getting into how many teams those other teams all play each other, where obviously somebody has to lose.

It's weird to say that the Pelicans are more than halfway done with the season, only have 16 wins, and are still firmly in the playoff race. Insane.

It's exciting. On one hand, IF we could upset the Lakers.....after last season.....oh man.....greatest sports story of all time.....but more realistically is that we own Denver. We match up so well against them. Sneak into a higher slot and draw them and we could actually advance a round.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    This right here about Ingram and the pecking order. This is becoming Ingram’s team and we need to roll with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The all-star game will solidify it. EVERYONE VOTE!!!!

And that's no knock on Jrue. He is a great #3 that does all of the auxiliary stuff well. He's like the Steve Harris of this team. Maiden fans will know.

Really want to dominate the Jazz in a series with Zion and Favors. Just because now.

2020 Averages (must have played at least 5 games since the New Year! So Jrue, Melli, Okafor, not included.)

Brandon Ingram: 27.9 points, 5.8 rebounds, 6.0 assists. 44.1%FG, 39.6%3PT, 86.7%FT
    Lonzo Ball: 15.7 points, 8.0 rebounds, 9.0 assists. 41.3%FG, 32.7%3PT, 53%FT
    JJ Redick: 18.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists. 50.9%FG, 54.8%3PT, 100%FT (Redick is 18/18 on FTs in 2020)
    Josh Hart: 10.3 points, 6.3 rebounds, 1.4 assists. 41.2%FG, 32.5%3PT, 66.6%FT
    Jaxson Hayes: 11.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.3 assists. 75.6%FG, 56.3%FT
    E'twaun Moore: 11.6 points, 3.5 rebounds, 2.2 assists. 40.4%FG, 31.5%3PT, 63%FT
    Derrick Favors:12.0 points, 10.3 rebounds, 1.3 assists. 71.1%FG, 70%FT
    Frank Jackson:8.3 points, 1.8 rebounds, 0.8 assists. 45.2%FG, 23.5%3PT, 66.7%FT
    Nickeil Alexander-Walker:7.6 points, 2.7 rebounds, 3 assists. 41.4%FT, 37.5%3PT, 50%FT

So what trends have we seen over the first 17 days of 2020? Well, Ingram's scoring and assists are up on his season averages, while his rebounding has taken a slight dip: this is likely because we've seen more Favors recently, so he's eating up a lot of those boards. Ingram's FG% and 3pt% are both a little down on his season averages, while his FT% remains the same. A reason for this is probably just his increased overall offensive load: he's played several games without Redick to provide another spacing threat, and without Jrue to share ballhandling with, which means he's being asked to do more. That often coincides with a slight dip in efficiency: that said, obviously 39.6% from 3 is still really good, so it's only down relative to his own standards this season, not down as in bad.

Lonzo's counting stats are up (points, rebounds, assists) because without Jrue he is, also, being asked to do more: add to that playing a game without Ingram where he took 23 shots, and it's expected that his raw volume would increase. What's worrying though is that his 3pt% has dipped back down during this stretch. It's possible that this is just due to a lack of spacing, given Redick's absence for some of these games, so I wouldn't go nuclear over it yet: just something to keep an eye on. Moore's shooting has cratered during this span for likely the same reason.

Favors has been really good since returning, putting up an efficient double-double with good defense, NAW's stats are all up compared to his season averages (mostly because he's actually getting more minutes right now) and as Jaxson's minutes have gone up, so have his stats. This includes an increase in efficiency as well: Jax has been shooting around 65% on this season, but with the increased minutes he's been even better, hitting a wild 75.6% of his shots.

Meanwhile, Frank's shooting has been just wildly off since the New Year, shooting at Draymond Green levels, while his actual FG% has been okay. That coincides with something I think we've seen lately: when he attacks and drives, he's much better than when he's bombing away from deep.

Once Jrue and Redick are back, I expect we'll see some of these down percentages creep back up a little, as opposing defenses have to stretch that little bit wider and cover some more scoring threats, and we'll also see some drops in volume for guys like Frank and NAW. Of course, we'll probably see drops in volume overall for everyone once Zion is being integrated (those shots have to come from somewhere!) but again, the upside is that we might see another efficiency increase.

All-Star
    I don't remember when last time I was that excited about a basketball game. It certainly was not during 2018 playoffs. This game emotionally beats it, even if it's regular season. So proud of the guys, this is the most lovable Hornets/Pelicans team since Larry Johnson/Muggsy Bogues days of my childhood.

Haven’t seen Gentry’s name mentioned once! He must only get the credit when he loses.. Another great game by Gentry and not only winning this game once but did it twice! Now this is the most loveable team ever.. have I been gone that long!? Lmao!

If we make the playoffs i still expect us to got the Minty Williams/Dwayne Casey route and move in from Gentry. The rotations still struggle to make sense, and playing poorly against inferior teams is still a point of concern. If you can get a better coach in here, pull that trigger.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Gentry has been winning me over lately. Mostly looking at things from a big picture/developmental aspect. His Xs and Os have been better but not in this game. Mitchell was absolutely destroying us and it kept happening over and over and over again. Then Ball appeared to take it upon himself midplay to go to Jackson and and switch defensive positions with him. That's just what it appeared to me. Maybe Gentry told him to....I really don't know for sure but it looked like Zo took it upon himself. That is when we started to stymie their O a bit. I'll give more credit to Lonzo on this one.

Very odd but a reporter asked Lou Williams after THEIR game about Ingrams big night...

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Haven’t seen Gentry’s name mentioned once! He must only get the credit when he loses.. Another great game by Gentry and not only winning this game once but did it twice! Now this is the most loveable team ever.. have I been gone that long!? Lmao!
    Tonight is exactly how Ive been wanting them to play offensively. THey laid off the 3 point crack and only shot 26. Then scored 64 points in the paint, 10 more than the Jazz. Then got to the line 35 times.

But I still dont trust him. Gonna take a lot more games like tonight to convince me. Especially when Jrue and JJ get back. We'll see if they stick to offensive discipline with the shot selection.

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    So, everyone knows I’m down on Jrue.

With the sample size that we have had with him out. Are we a better team without him? Thus, justifying trading him for a young player and a pick?

Asking for a friend lol.
    Who is the younger player that is realistic and that you have in mind?

So is Ingram taking a mid ranger still a bad shot?
    Comparison I haven’t heard yet: Paul Pierce

He eerily gets his production similarly to the Truth. That midrange was looking automatic and unguardable last night

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Balakhonov View Post
    I don't remember when last time I was that excited about a basketball game. It certainly was not during 2018 playoffs. This game emotionally beats it, even if it's regular season. So proud of the guys, this is the most lovable Hornets/Pelicans team since Larry Johnson/Muggsy Bogues days of my childhood.
    ME too! t was a really fun inside SKC. This is a real rivalry at this point! I'd love to see them in the playoffs. Screw the Tabernacle Choir!

No, I disagree. We were all watching those early games and the mistakes were often and glaring!

I don’t blame anyone on here for calling for his job. We lost 6-7 games strictly because of terrible coaching.

That being said, glad to see the big turnaround and the progression. What a huge win!

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Tonight is exactly how Ive been wanting them to play offensively. THey laid off the 3 point crack and only shot 26. Then scored 64 points in the paint, 10 more than the Jazz. Then got to the line 35 times.
    This. Last night I saw a viable offensive gameplan without ineffective 3PA and that was a joy to my eyes. If they keep playing to their strengths valuing each and every possession Gentry will turn me from sceptic into believer.

It didn't hit me until this morning how impressive this win was without Jrue or JJ on the floor.

BI did exactly what Antonio was saying to do all night. Don't just challenge Gobert, attack him! I find it really impressive that he was able to do that consistently without JJ spacing from 3 for him. That reverse jam was gorgeous, and the set-up with the cross over on the drive before he got to the rim was great, too! He was locked in last night.

Oh, and we have a Zion on the way.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    So is Ingram taking a mid ranger still a bad shot?
    He shouldn't actively seek to take a bunch of them. But sprinkling in a few as he's already getting to the rim with ease and raining 3s is never a bad call.

I like how you’ll only poke your head out when it's convenient, but you was a ghpst when the team was 6-22.

We all been saying that this is Gentry MO. Come out the gate a hot mess and then frantically climb back into come January.

Still inexcusable.

Basketball Guru
    im not a nba coach but im still sticking with that this team work from the inside out to the 3 ball........pnr ,,drives and okafor getting inside points opens the floor up for us to take easy look 3s but im scared that when JJ and jrue come back we will shoot more 3s and run more plays for 3s instead of working inside out.....

Quote Originally Posted by AD-AT View Post
    It didn't hit me until this morning how impressive this win was without Jrue or JJ on the floor.

BI did exactly what Antonio was saying to do all night. Don't just challenge Gobert, attack him! I find it really impressive that he was able to do that consistently without JJ spacing from 3 for him. That reverse jam was gorgeous, and the set-up with the cross over on the drive before he got to the rim was great, too! He was locked in last night.

Oh, and we have a Zion on the way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3mf16h.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	6516

Thread Information