Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 13th January - New Orleans Pelicans @ Detroit Pistons - 14-26

Honestly, this was during that 4th quarter slump and I can't blame him
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He shot incredibly badly, had 7 turnovers to 9 assists (not great), and while it's true the offense was terrible when he was sat, the offense was also terrible when he was on the court

We're in 2020, we've all gotten over the Westbrook phase of basketball, I think we all recognise that you can have a triple double that looks nice in a box score without actually playing well. He had some very good moments, particularly those shots in OT, but taking this game as a whole he did not have a good night.
    The offense really wasn't that bad when he was on the court minus the 4th. If the offense played terribly, then they get blown out of the water.

I watched the same game you did. The whole thing. Overtime included

I know that he played a ton of minutes. I know who else was on the court. I understand that.

None of that justifies his ridiculous iso stepback 3s that barely graze the rim, or his weird cross-body arcing passes directly towards defenders when he has a wide open layup available. These are bad plays: these are mistakes. Did he also have some good plays? Yes, he did. Not denying that at all, he did, especially in overtime.

The fact that he had those handful of good plays does not make up for the tons of mistakes, and I promise you that the coaches are not going to watch this tape with Lonzo with the intent of patting him on the back for an excellent performance.
    Again, you’re like someone that love statistics. Always manipulating the information to fit their narritive.

He got stuck with the ball multiple times because of zero rotation. He put up three end of quarter shot that hurt his shooting.

If not for some terrible shooting by teammates. . He would of hit his triple double.

He was forced to do a lot lore this game than normal. Thus, putting him in tough situations multiple times this game.

I counted two bad shots all game.

He D was also fantastic tonight with 3 steals and most of his rebounds on the defensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    The offense really wasn't that bad when he was on the court minus the 4th. If the offense played terribly, then they get blown out of the water.
    It's totally possible for our offense to be bad (which it was, largely) and for the Pistons offense to be also bad, or even worse (which, again, it was), which I think is the reason that we weren't blown out or anything. The Pistons played a dreadful game, honestly. I legitimately feel bad for their fanbase. We can look at a game like this and say ''4 of our starters were out, we have Zion coming back soon, got a ton of draft picks, our future's okay''. What can they do?

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    ...okay.

I think we tried to run too many plays through Lonzo in the slump and we probably should have had some set plays prepared or give another ball handler a go after it started getting grim. If anyone is goosed it is probably Lonzo after all of the games recently.

Hustle stats are in:

Screen Assists leaders: Jah and Jax tie with 3 each, both resulting in 6 points.

Most contested 2pt shots: Jah leads with 14, followed by Melli with 5
    Most contested 3pt shots: Melli leads with 5, followed by Hart with 2

Most box-outs: Jah with 7, followed by Cheatham and Jax tied with 2

Back to re-watching old Zion games from Duke.

This dude's on his way back soon. Utah game, I keep my hopes alive

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Again, you’re like someone that love statistics. Always manipulating the information to fit their narritive.

He got stuck with the ball multiple times because of zero rotation. He put up three end of quarter shot that hurt his shooting.

If not for some terrible shooting by teammates. . He would of hit his triple double.

He was forced to do a lot lore this game than normal. Thus, putting him in tough situations multiple times this game.

He D was also fantastic tonight with 3 steals and most of his rebounds on the defensive end.
    https://streamable.com/l4i02

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    That video is upsetting.

...okay.
    Ignoring the bulk of my post because you know I’m right.

Okay....

I thought Lonzo was very good tonight. The shots he missed were good shots. As his shot making improves, he will become a very dangerous player. I would like to see him improve his handle to add some creativity, some cross overs and behind the backs. I cant wait to see Lonzo next season after a full summer to work on his game. The shots he is missing now, he will be making in a year or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I thought Lonzo was very good tonight. The shots he missed were good shots. As his shot making improves, he will become a very dangerous player. I would like to see him improve his handle to add some creativity, some cross overs and behind the backs. I cant wait to see Lonzo next season after a full summer to work on his game. The shots he is missing now, he will be making in a year or 2.
    Something that goes unnoticed is how many deflections Zo gets that don't necessarily count as turnovers but still disrupt the play

I'm liking this man more and more every time I see him play. He's very Jrue Holiday like in a lot of ways

Ignoring the bulk of my post because you know I’m right.

Okay....
    Nope, just avoiding the argument. If you think every single shot he took outside of 2 was a good shot, then clearly we have different views on what constitutes a good shot. Not worth turning into a dispute. Similarly, I've already addressed the irrelevance of the triple double, so I'm not going over that again, and I'm not disputing that he had good moments. If you watched the same game I did and came out of it thinking that Lonzo played great overall, then good for you but I'm not going to get into it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I thought he played well enough to win, but if he didn't make two clutch shots in OT. Ehhh... It would of been a Westbrick game, but He was burden with having to take too many shots with second shooter being freaking Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I thought he played well enough to win, but if he didn't make two clutch shots in OT. Ehhh... It would of been a Westbrick game, but He was burden with having to take too many shots with second shooter being freaking Moore.
    The difference I would say between his game and a Westbrick game is that Zo didn't really force any shots. He took the right shots, but just doesn't have the shot making ability yet to make them. Like he took some good midrange shots, some good floaters, open 3s but were just missing them. He took the right drives to the goal but currently lacks the creativity to finish at the rim, which caused him to get blocked or missed the layup. Those are the shots I want him working on this summer. He starts making those shots and improve his handle, he will be on a superstar path.

Besides the shot at 8:51. Every shot he took was reasonable. Also the way he pushes the pace is amazing to watch.

Late to the Lonzo party.

Hahahahaha. I just can't fathom how people can be so negative about something and also this interested in it. It's like....I don't know....if I was that cynical I would just casually watch from afar and put my energy into other projects. The constant negativity is a bit much. It's like "we just won a game missing 80% of our starters but ho hum it had to be in overtime". Like.....how can we win missing four starters and a good bench player, on a brutal stretch of games in a short period of time AND STILL COMPLAIN ABOUT A WIN?!?!

Be happy.

Anyways, Ball. Dude took over and won the game. He came through when we needed it. His percentages are down because he has had to step up from being the usual fourth shooting option on the offense to being the 1st. He has had to take countless bail out 3s and low percentage shots with the clock expiring. His increased TOs would be because he's having to force things playing with scrubs. The floor general position relies heavily on the rest of the team to be productive.

But we know that.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Late to the Lonzo party.

Hahahahaha. I just can't fathom how people can be so negative about something and also this interested in it. It's like....I don't know....if I was that cynical I would just casually watch from afar and put my energy into other projects. The constant negativity is a bit much. It's like "we just won a game missing 80% of our starters but ho hum it had to be in overtime". Like.....how can we win missing four starters and a good bench player, on a brutal stretch of games in a short period of time AND STILL COMPLAIN ABOUT A WIN?!?!

Be happy.
    I literally did this last game where we lost a game that we all expected us to lose and I was like ''oh well, but at least Jax got a new career high, that's kinda cool!'' and I got yelled at

I was checking the S-5 Metric. I see that the Pelicans had a 1/5 score in that statistical category on Monday. A score this low would usually spell a LOSS in capital letters to any team....and yet the Pelicans won.

For those of you unfamiliar with this stat, it measures how many regular starters started a particular game. It just so happens that the only regular starter that started the Piston game was Lonzo Ball. Yet, despite the lack of talent on the court around him, he LED this 'mix & match' lineup to a victory over another NBA team on the road. Now, I see how the 'number-nerds' want to tell us how poorly he played. The only numbers that matters is the final score.

I love Pete Maravich (my childhood idol), but how many championships did his 45 point a game average win for LSU or his 24+ point average win in the NBA? Stats are for statisticians. Go CP3!!!

Any win when 80% of your starters are out is a good win. Just as important to remember is that there was no veteran leadership on the floor.
    It wasnt pretty, but it was gutsy

I literally did this last game where we lost a game that we all expected us to lose and I was like ''oh well, but at least Jax got a new career high, that's kinda cool!'' and I got yelled at
    If it makes you feel better. If this was still Draft season. I'd still trade Lonzo and the 4th pick for Morant.

Losing Hayes would be hardest decision of the bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    If it makes you feel better. If this was still Draft season. I'd still trade Lonzo and the 4th pick for Morant.

Losing Hayes would be hardest decision of the bunch
    I preferred moving #4 to Atlanta personally, although I thought we'd be more likely to get #10 and #17 rather than #8 and #17, so I was happy with the move we made. In retrospect, Hayes has been such a quick learner as well that I'm even happier we managed to finagle #8 and snag him before anyone else.

I can see why you'd say that though, I've been impressed with Morant and many of the questions that his game had surrounding it in college have been answered early in his NBA career. Some still remain, of course, and other issues have come out as well, but he's a very good rookie and projects to be a very good player in general, so you can't deny that talent.

Hey wouldn't it be cool if, for the Utah game, basically everyone was back (except Miller, obviously, he's too hurt).

I know Gentry said Zion wouldn't start his first game back, which is fine, so it wouldn't quite be us finally getting our expected starting 5 back, but imagine a game where Jrue, JJ, Ingram, Zion, and Favors all play. Maybe even at the same time.

Wild.

Hey wouldn't it be cool if, for the Utah game, basically everyone was back (except Miller, obviously, he's too hurt).

I know Gentry said Zion wouldn't start his first game back, which is fine, so it wouldn't quite be us finally getting our expected starting 5 back, but imagine a game where Jrue, JJ, Ingram, Zion, and Favors all play. Maybe even at the same time.

Wild.

Thread Information