Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 13th January - New Orleans Pelicans @ Detroit Pistons - 14-26

Pelicans 13th January - New Orleans Pelicans @ Detroit Pistons - 14-26

For a variety of reasons, last game was a big big blowout loss. We had a number of issues regarding multiple injured starters, the second night of a back to back, being on the road, Boston being a good team. These issues were compounded by several of our remaining players having some of their worst games of the year. There were a couple of bright spots; Frank had what might be his best scoring game of the year, and Jax set a new career high. But I think we all agree that it was a bad night.

Tonight, we have some positives to look at as we go to face the 14-26 Detroit Pistons. Firstly, it's injuries: here's the report.

Redick, Jrue, and Favors are all listed as questionable rather than out: if even just any two of those three returned tonight, it would be a huge help. Redick's spacing and offensive threat opens everything up, and while we all agree that Jrue hasn't had his best year this season, there's no doubt that he's been one of the few players capable of actually running half-court offense on the roster. Favors, of course, has been the lynchpin of our defense whenever he's played, and missing him annihilates our cohesiveness on that end of the floor and forces Jax to play in disadvantageous situations.

Moving on from that though, let's look at Detroit. They have the same record as we do, but in reverse: we started off the year extremely rough but have been putting things together recently, even if it hasn't been perfect. The Pistons, on the other hand, started off the year okay but have gone 4-12 in the last month. Some of these losses have been expected (Utah, Lakers, Clippers, for example) but they've also lost to Chicago twice, dropped a game to Cleveland, and taken an L from Washington. So they're not great. Part of this has been the loss of Blake Griffin, who is now out for the season. It kinda sucks to see his career getting absolutely derailed; he was reaching his peak a few years back after finally getting over some injury struggles and now it's hitting harder than ever.

This is reflected in their ratings: 19th in Offensive, 21st in Defensive, their ratings are pretty poor. Not quite as poor as ours have been year-long, but not great at all. They're also a fairly slow team, running at the 22nd fastest pace in the NBA. Dead last in rebounding, 14th in assists, 20th in steals and 18th in blocks, Detroit doesn't come close to the top of the league in any of these stats. In fact, being 10th in FG% and 27th in FT%, they only get solidly inside the top 10 in a single measurement: 3pt%, where the Pistons sit at 4th in the NBA.

This game is a winnable one, especially if we get Jrue, Redick, and Favors back. If Favors stays out though, we're going to see minutes with Jax on Drummond. Now, everyone on this board knows how much I love Jax, but he's not ready to take that matchup on full-time yet. He weighs about 60lbs less than Drummond, and Drummond's an exceptional rebounder (15.9 per game this season!) against even fully physically matured opposition. If those guys remain out though, we are going to have real issues.

Let's go out and try and get a win before heading back to the Smoothie King Centre. Next game up after this is the 16th, where we face off at home against the Jazz, and we all know what we're hoping might happen in that game

#WBD
    Basketball.

The NBA should do the right thing and cancel this game. I know I’m going to some place that will have the game plastered on the wall of a building and it is not the Pelicans game. I’m going to watch winners win a Title! Can’t Wait!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    The NBA should do the right thing and cancel this game. I know I’m going to some place that will have the game plastered on the wall of a building and it is not the Pelicans game.
    ...what?

The way I’m looking at it right now, if we want a shot at the 8th seed, at minimum we have about 15 more losses we can give up. That means a 27-15 finish at minimum...which at the current rate is playing like a 5th/6th seed.

Langdon and Griffin have to be paying close attention to this stretch, as these next 3 weeks will show us if we should hold them or fold them.

Second half of season starts tonight. If it’s ever a time to get serious about it, it’s now.

This team can't be silly enough to start Jax tonight. If Favors can't go, and I fully assume he won't, then Okafor has to play 30 minutes tonight.

I'd like for Melli to see more time as well if all 3 guys remain out.

Really wish they would have kept Christian Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This team can't be silly enough to start Jax tonight. If Favors can't go, and I fully assume he won't, then Okafor has to play 30 minutes tonight.

I'd like for Melli to see more time as well if all 3 guys remain out.

Really wish they would have kept Christian Wood.
    I agree with your post...especially your thoughts on Christian Wood. I thought he was a keeper, too.

I wonder how Dwayne Casey would do coaching here.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    The NBA should do the right thing and cancel this game. I know I’m going to some place that will have the game plastered on the wall of a building and it is not the Pelicans game. I’m going to watch winners win a Title! Can’t Wait!
    If there were 10 Pels fans in the city before, tonight only 1 of them will be watching the Pels game (everyone else will be watching the LSU game).

Not a college football fan and not an LSU fan. I'll pull for them as the local team and because it would make most of my friends happy.....but I'm choosing the Pels game all the way.

Yeah. My feelings for this game vary from "should be a definite win" if all three guys play to "holy crap, we're stealing this win" if none of them do. Will be watching that closely.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If there were 10 Pels fans in the city before, tonight only 1 of them will be watching the Pels game (everyone else will be watching the LSU game).
    Pels v Pistons will be on my 65".

BCS will be on my laptop (sound muted).

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Not a college football fan and not an LSU fan. I'll pull for them as the local team and because it would make most of my friends happy.....but I'm choosing the Pels game all the way.

Yeah. My feelings for this game vary from "should be a definite win" if all three guys play to "holy crap, we're stealing this win" if none of them do. Will be watching that closely.
    Living in Los Angels make my decision much easier than the rest of you.

Pelicans on the tube!

Redick out, Jrue downgraded to doubtful, Favors still questionable.

Ingram downgraded to questionable.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Redick out, Jrue downgraded to doubtful, Favors still questionable.

Ingram downgraded to questionable.
    Bruh. Why is it when we get hot, this **** happens. #PelsLife

Woof. Just steal this win and lick our wounds back to NOLA for Thur with an electric atmosphere for The Age of Zion.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-13-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Bruh. Why is it when we get hot, this **** happens. #PelsLife

the kind of luck this team has make you feel like you are on a roller coaster ride lol...

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The annoying thing is if we keep taking bumps, we may not get to run a 5 on 5 practice.

If Favors can't go: Over or under 100 combined points in the paint in this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The annoying thing is if we keep taking bumps, we may not get to run a 5 on 5 practice.
    Honestly think that Jrue and Favors at least are fine and are just being held out as precaution to make sure they're ready for Zions return.

That might be wishful thinking

If Favors can't go: Over or under 100 combined points in the paint in this game?
    Over. At least 65 from Detroit

LSU wasn't a thing in New Orleans until Nick Saban showed up and won a title. They were even somewhat disliked since Tulane was their "rival." Funny what winning the big one doe$ with a fanba$e.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-13-2020 at 01:07 PM.

LSU wasn't a thing in New Orleans until Nick Saban showed up and won a title. They were even somewhat disliked since Tulane was their "rival." Funny what winning the big one doe$ with a fanba$e.
    Not sure I agree. They were pretty popular when Charlie Mac was coaching.

As a side note, it's games like this that are why I think we'll ultimately end up missing the playoffs at this point, even if we have an easier schedule and we're getting the guys together healthy for the first time.

On the road. 14 wins. Going up against another 14 win team that's 4-12 over its last 16. They're missing arguably their best player in Blake Griffin, and they've struggled all year to get any momentum going. And we're probably going to lose because everyone and their dog has gotten injured or sick at the same time.

At some point all these little excusable losses add up and you've lost 50 games and you miss the playoffs. Nobody really cares if you take an L to Boston, they're a good team, that's whatever. But Detroit are bad, and have been even worse for the last month, and we still might lose. You can't make the playoffs, especially in a West as vicious as this year's West is, when you're just bleeding away games to sub .500 teams.

I grew up in New Orleans and the entire family has always been huge LSU fans as well as most of my friends. Even through the bad years before Dinardo arrived and started to pull us out of it. My family also hated Tulane though, so there's that. LOL

I honestly don't know why we always pulled for LSU. I was the first one in my family to go there as a student. My senior year was the championship season in 07'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This seems like speculation. I want to see him as bad as anyone but you mean to tell me some guy that does serious XM NBA coverage has sources that nobody else does? He should have said sauces, it would be more credible.

On that note, I want Zion to play tonight!

Thread Information