Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 11th January - New Orleans Pelicans @ Boston Celtics - 14-25

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    PPG, by itself, is not a good measure of a player's game.
    Absolutely nobody is saying that it is. Lighten up.
    Basketball.

People really expect Hayes to have much success at 200lbs against a 8 yr vet at 260 lbs... Geeze... Player development isn't linear.

Ease up. Rookie aren't great for a reason.

Plus, we really had no help since our bigs is propped up by often injured Favors. This was a game he couldn't miss, but he did anyways.
    Last edited by Taker597; 01-11-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    People really expect Hayes to have much success at 200lbs against a 8 yr vet at 260 lbs... Geeze... Player development isn't linear.

Ease up. Rookie aren't great for a reason
    It's weird, it's like yes, we lost. Everyone (at least everyone who activated their brain before the game) expected a loss. We got a loss. Fine, can we get over that and just try and look for some minor positives?

Hayes had 20 points. That's cool. This is a 19 year old kid who a lot of people thought was going to redshirt the entire year and he just scored 20 points in an NBA game for the first time, and it was on 69% shooting. That's a fun thing. Yeah, in an optimal world he would have got 10 boards to go with it and had a third straight double-double, but he didn't. Oh well.

Basketball Guru
    lets be fair...he should be able to grab double digits in rebounds a game with the mins he plays just by length alone... ..

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    lets be fair...he should be able to grab double digits in rebounds a game with the mins he plays just by length alone... ..
    Yup! He was out rebounded by every guard on the court lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Absolutely nobody is saying that it is. Lighten up.
    Just trying to keep it real.

Don't you think Boston owned the paint tonight? If not, maybe I'm missing something.

He played 26 minutes it's not like he was out there for 40

He had 10 rebounds last game in 23 minutes and 12 the game before in 24. Like Taker says, development isn't linear. He had big boards in limited minutes those games, and only a few tonight in the same minutes. He weighs 210 soaking wet and we were playing against a team that's top 10 in offensive rebounding, with no other bigs to take any assignments and lighten the load. It's fine.

Just trying to keep it real.

Don't you think Boston owned the paint tonight? If not, maybe I'm missing something.
    Of course they did, we got smoked.

Anyone who expected anything otherwise was living in a fantasy land. No Favors, no Zion, no Kenrich; we were relying on our primary ''big body'' to be a 19 year old who weighs 50lbs less than the other team's major rebounder. Unsurprisingly, he got outmuscled and outrebounded. It happens.

I will say this... Griffin should be heavily criticized for how he handle the big situation when building this roster.

Putting all your eggs in basket on a rookie and Favors to carry the paint defense was a trash move. Especially, when you got Dwight taking a bargain bin contract.

Of course they did, we got smoked.

Anyone who expected anything otherwise was living in a fantasy land. No Favors, no Zion, no Kenrich; we were relying on our primary ''big body'' to be a 19 year old who weighs 50lbs less than the other team's major rebounder. Unsurprisingly, he got outmuscled and outrebounded. It happens.
    I guess some in here like you are excited he got 20, while others think his significant shortcomings were exposed.

He's going to be a great one....but. as I've said many times before, that down the road apiece.

I guess some in here like you are excited he got 20, while others think his significant shortcomings were exposed.

He's going to be a great one....but. as I've said many times before, that down the road apiece.
    Both are true, but the issue is that the shortcoming that got ''exposed'' isn't a new thing. It wasn't even an exposure, it was just a reminder. Jax needs to put on like 30lbs of muscle and improve at his rebounding fundamentals, particularly on the defensive end. Yes, that is an issue with his game that got shown up tonight, but it's nothing new; we've all known about it for months now. Getting upset about it won't help anyone because that issue is going to remain pretty much all season long, and until he's put on some weight in the offseason.

Whereas the 20pt new career high for him is new. It's a cool milestone in his very young career, and it's never happened before. So it should take priority, I think. Especially when we expected a loss anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Iiiiiiiiisaac Okoro

Meh... I want see which direction we go as head coach and trying to play more complementary ball. If you play to not help your defense. More young prospects ain't gonba fix that problem.

Basketball Guru
    He played 26 minutes it's not like he was out there for 40

He had 10 rebounds last game in 23 minutes and 12 the game before in 24. Like Taker says, development isn't linear. He had big boards in limited minutes those games, and only a few tonight in the same minutes. He weighs 210 soaking wet and we were playing against a team that's top 10 in offensive rebounding, with no other bigs to take any assignments and lighten the load. It's fine.

come on bruh....you also dont like to be fair....

in players you like you go hard..like hayes you would point out all the good in stats but you dont point out the bad he does that the eye test show you on the court and you are using his age as an excuse...

in players you dont like say lonzo,,ingram,,moore,,if you point out the good they do in a game then you would follow it up with a back stab comment about them...

and again you not being fair about a player you like.....hayes should be getting double digits in rebounds since he is the only big that plays behind favors.....arm length alone should get him 5-7 rebounds a game...i get he dont know how to block out yet and i dont hold that against him but rebounding is effort....

i get it..all summer you were putting down the laker players and especially ingram but those guys and moore have proved you wrong and you have hayes by default to show out on and you are going hard with it...

but like you do with ingram and other players you dont like and criticize them when they do good in a game but you find bad things they do and point out,,,hayes is not above the criticism either...

hayes need to rebound better...

Anyway, Jaxson Hayes is one of only 5 rookies in the NBA to have a positive PIPM this year, and has now scored in double digits 3 games in a row. This is cool stuff

but like you do with ingram and other players you dont like and criticize them when they do good in a game but you find bad things they do and point out,,,hayes is not above the criticism either...

I've been extremely complimentary towards Lonzo and Ingram recently, since they've been playing well. Yes, I've been negative tonight about Ingram: it's his worst offensive showing all year, in my opinion, so of course I'm going to do that.

I'm not saying Hayes is above criticism, and I'm not denying he needs to improve as a rebounder. Of course he does.

I'm just saying that ragging on him for needing to improve as a rebounder is a pointless exercise because we all know he needs to improve on that end, and also because one of the key ways to make that improvement is by adding muscle mass and weight. Which is something that's virtually impossible for him to do mid-season, so it's not exactly a constructive piece of criticism.

come on bruh....you also dont like to be fair....

in players you like you go hard..like hayes you would point out all the good in stats but you dont point out the bad he does that the eye test show you on the court and you are using his age as an excuse...

in players you dont like say lonzo,,ingram,,moore,,if you point out the good they do in a game then you would follow it up with a back stab comment about them...

and again you not being fair about a player you like.....hayes should be getting double digits in rebounds since he is the only big that plays behind favors.....arm length alone should get him 5-7 rebounds a game...i get he dont know how to block out yet and i dont hold that against him but rebounding is effort....

i get it..all summer you were putting down the laker players and especially ingram but those guys and moore have proved you wrong and you have hayes by default to show out on and you are going hard with it...

What he said; I thoroughly agree.

Basketball Guru
    I will say this... Griffin should be heavily criticized for how he handle the big situation when building this roster.

Putting all your eggs in basket on a rookie and Favors to carry the paint defense was a trash move. Especially, when you got Dwight taking a bargain bin contract.

but was that the plan?...if we going to be honest here,we know the main bigs to play were zion,,melli,,okafor,,favors.........zion and favors forced hayes to play and that turned out to be good for the future....

gentry is our coach and he i assume would have zion playing the 5 playing small ball if he was healthy and i dont think hayes would have hit the floor.....zion being hurt was a blessing for hayes imo because i still dont believe gentry would have played the kids if zion would have been healthy or favors being out.....i think griff built the 4 and 5 according to gentry style...

Etwaun for Norvel Pelle, picks, and whatever else needed for filler would be nice.

Sixers desperately in need of shooting. So makes sense to me.

Roll with what we got for the remainder of the season then make one free agent signing next off season. The Pelicans would be a dynasty for the next six years.

Who? He played here for seven seasons

Roll with what we got for the remainder of the season then make one free agent signing next off season. The Pelicans would be a dynasty for the next six years.

Who? He played here for seven seasons
    Anthony Davis?

Looking at the advanced stats on this game. Not really expecting to find much positive because of how thoroughly we got whipped, but thought it might be fun to see who came the closest to being a positive.

Best Net Rating: Nicolo Melli, at -2.1
    Worst Net Rating: Okafor, at -48.2 (4 different players had net ratings of worse than -40, including Ingram and Jax)

Best TS%: Jahlil Okafor, at 75.2%. Jax only got 65.8%, because he shot poorly on FTs.

Most Screen Assists: Jax, with 4 for 9 points

Most Deflections: Melli, with 4

Most Contested 2pt shots: Jax with 11

Most Contested 3pt shots: Jax with 4 (tied with NAW, who also had 4)

Effective Box Outs: Okafor with 2, tied with Melli. Jax and Lonzo both had 1. Moore, Ingram, Hart, Frank, and Frank didn't register a single boxout between them.

When looking at shot charts, a few things come up which are notable. First, Ingram only took 2 shots all game within 5 feet of the hope. That's bad. It's a sign that he was having trouble creating separation and space when driving, which I think we all recognised while watching. His handle isn't tight enough to really stand up against disciplined, lengthy defenders and that's why people like Tatum (a very strong defender) gave him trouble. Similarly, his long legs and heavy feet create issues when trying to adjust momentum in small areas which stymies his in-paint fluidity. When he gets crowded like he did tonight, it creates issues and sometimes this deters him. That's what we saw tonight: very few at-rim attempts.

By contrast, Hayes (because a lot of his shots were dunks/lobs) only missed one shot within 5 feet of the hoop. All his other misses were more hook-type shots, things he was throwing up without really having optimal position. This is a shame, but we saw him have trouble establishing position against stronger defenders like Theis, particularly in the half court.

Lonzo Ball had 1 shot at the rim. It was his only shot within 10 feet of the hoop. He made it, but come on. Again, this is indicative of his relatively poor handle (for a PG); he doesn't quite have the moves to really get into the paint reliably in the halfcourt. This lack of driving has been an issue with him all season and recently he had been better there, but it looked like tonight it reared its ugly head again.

Frank Jackson had a great game. Perhaps a fire has been lit.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Jaxson Hayes is now 18th in the league among all players (min. 30 games played) in Screen Assists per game, with 3.4

He is the only teenager in the top 50 in screen assists per game.

He's one of only 2 players in the top 20 to play 20 minutes or fewer per game also. If you adjust it to screen assists per 48 minutes, Jax is 11th in the league, with 8.

Edit: Jax also has only picked up 8 fouls in his last 73 minutes of play. That's equivalent to 3.9 per 36, which is fairly reasonable. It's fewer fouls per 36 than Joel Embiid, Marc Gasol, Jaren Jackson Jr, Aaron Baynes, and Dwight Howard are averaging, and it's also far fewer than Jaxson's own season average of 5.2 per 36.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-12-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Thread Information