Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 11th January - New Orleans Pelicans @ Boston Celtics - 14-25

Pelicans 11th January - New Orleans Pelicans @ Boston Celtics - 14-25

It took a little longer than some of us might have liked, what with us failing to create real separation until the second half, but last night we managed to beat the New York Knicks in a victory that has been described ''real'' and ''happening last night''. We are now on pace for about 29 wins this year, which is an improvement from the 26 win pace we were on about a week ago. The Pelicans have now won 7 of their last 10.

Still on the road, tonight the Pelicans take on the Boston Celtics. The Celtics are better than the Knicks: they're 25-11 right now, and unfortunately for us we'll be going into this as the second night of a back to back, while the Celtics are rested. That said, the Celtics have now lost 3 straight games, including to relatively underwhelming teams like the Wizards and Spurs. That could either mean they're about to slide, or they're about to bounce back; therefore it tells us almost nothing.

What we can tell, though, is that the Celtics are the 9th ORtg in the NBA, and the 4th best DRtg. That is, they're good. They also play at the league's 19th rated pace, so they're fairly slow. At 16th in FG% and 19th in 3pt%, they're relatively mediocre in terms of scoring efficiency, but they're top 10 in steals, blocks, and offensive rebounds, as well as being in the top 15 in rebounds overall. They don't turn it over much, being one of the bottom third in the league in turnovers per game. They're pretty good.

Their leading scorer this year is Kemba Walker, who's averaging about 23ppg on about 58% TS. He's shooting 39.7% from 3, but only 43% from the field overall, which is why he's only a little above league average in efficiency.

Beyond that, they have the 2 Jays. Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. Both are averaging a little over 20ppg, about 7 rebounds per game, and about 2.5 assists per game. Brown shoots 40% from 3, Tatum shoots 86% from the FT line, so there's a difference (and the extra 3pt efficiency is what explains Brown's 60.1% TS), and they both have a PER about 18.

What's been really pretty impressive for Tatum is his development as a defender. He's got a real argument for All-Defensive considerations this year, and while he's only shooting about league average from 3, that defensive capacity has earned him something of a 3&D ballhandler reputation. In fact, his defensive PIPM is 2.0, which puts him as a top 30 defender in the NBA by that metric. So that's something to be aware of.

Otherwise, it's a case of just going out and trying for the win. No shame in losing this one, if that's what it comes down to, but we still want to see some pushback and some effort. #WBD
    Basketball.

I wanna thank you @Pelicanidae! You've made PR just as fun as SR the past 16 months!!!
    Actual proof Greivis Vasquez can throw Anthony Davis an Alley-OOP on an (kinda) fastbreak!

Quote Originally Posted by boot318 View Post
    I wanna thank you @Pelicanidae! You've made PR just as fun as SR the past 16 months!!!
    Thank you! I appreciate everyone else on here that really engages and makes the NBA season so much more fun than just watching alone can be. Glad to be a part of the community and try and get involved in it.

Also, here are some fun Jaxson Hayes facts I learned while just taking a look into his current performance historically speaking. Note that all of these facts require a player to play in the League Qualifying minimum of 70% of a team's available games (at least 58 games played). So guys who played 9 games and got injured, or played 48 minutes total in garbage, do not count.

1) Jaxson Hayes is currently 6th in the NBA in Offensive Rating. His Offensive Rating of 130 would be the highest single season ORtg in New Orleans Pelicans history if maintained all year. It would also be the first time in NBA history that any teenager for any team posted an ORtg of 130 or above for a full season (Jax does not turn 20 until May).

2) Jaxson Hayes' block percentage is currently 5.1%. This is 10th in the NBA among all players, regardless of age. If he were to maintain this for the rest of the season, Hayes would become the only teenager in NBA history to post a BLK% of at least 5% in a season.

3) Jaxson Hayes' Offensive Rebounding percentage of 9.7% is currently 20th in the NBA among all players, regardless of age. If he were to maintain that rate for the full year, he would be the only teenager in NBA history to have hit and maintained that level for a full season.

4) Jaxson Hayes' TS% is currently 66.7%. This is 8th in the NBA for all players, regardless of age. If he were to maintain that efficiency for the entire year, he would be the only teenager in NBA history to have hit and maintained at least 66% TS for a full season.

Just thought that was pretty incredible. Obviously he's only playing about 20mpg right now, and he might not keep up these averages for the full year (Garnett, for example, posted 9.1% OREB and 4.4%BLK as a teenager too, so Hayes wouldn't be alone if those stats dropped) and there are other areas of his game that need to improve. I get that. I'm not pretending he's some magically perfect HoF player already.

But that's all pretty amazing stuff for someone that a lot of people thought was going to redshirt.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-11-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Been tempted to pick Hayes up in my fbb league but his free throws worry me

Excited for Hayes to get more minutes tonight with Favors out.

JJ Redick out too

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian_Pelican View Post
    JJ Redick out too
    More minutes for NAW. Time for the rookies to shine!!!

Will be a very interesting game. Would love to steal a win here... however, I can see is getting blown out.

These injuries are killing us!

Would be a great time for Zion to come back. 15 minutes of help tonight would be useful.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Did JJ hurt himself at the end of the game? I have no recollection of him ever hurting himself.

Jrue and Kenny Hustle still out, too.

Bleacher Report said JJ played last night despite a hamstring injury and that both he and Favors are being held out of a back to back as a precaution. It sounds like Favors will be back sooner than two weeks and is just day to day (the way this season is going, it could be two months lol).
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Basketball Guru
    i guess starting lineup will be ball,,hart,,moore,,ingram,,hayes.............

ball,,hart,,ingram can deal with walker,,brown,,tatum.....if hayes stay out of foul trouble then we should be good at center.....if naw and frank can beat whatever hayward put up and if melli go off tonight then we come out with this win....

alot of ifs but we got this back to back win...go pels...

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    We are so deep at Guard and so thin at PF/C that if we have one injury we literally cannot guard anyone down low.

They can just dribble into the post with their back to us and we can't do a damn thing.

I'm not understanding why we aren't on the phone trying to fill the gaping holes that we have in the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    We are so deep at Guard and so thin at PF/C that if we have one injury we literally cannot guard anyone down low.

They can just dribble into the post with their back to us and we can't do a damn thing.

I'm not understanding why we aren't on the phone trying to fill the gaping holes that we have in the paint.
    You are making the assumption that they aren't. But...

1. I'd rather answer the phone than go looking.
    2. There's a guy who is due back shortly that will ease your big guy concerns.

The key to tonight’s game will be Hayes.

If they attack him early and get him into foul trouble, it’s going to be a rough night.

I’m going to assume that they prepped Hayes for this, so let’s see how he responds.

Everyone and their mama out tonight. Oh well!

30 minutes for Jax. The interesting thing will be the centre matchup. They don't have Rob Williams due to injury, obviously Al Horford is gone to the Sixers this year, and Enes Kanter (who can score and rebound) is a fantastically terrible defender. They scheme pretty decently around Kanter in general, but if we can get him being constantly forced to defend the PNR, particularly if the other defender can be Kemba, there might be a source of constant offense there.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-11-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Would be a big character win, but with all the injuries and this being a b2b, not totally expecting the win. Just hope we compete. Boston has been out of sync lately but they have players that can get hot and make the game frustrating.

Ingram should have a no questions green light this game. Honestly would like for him to put up 25+ shots in this environment.

And in fact to go along with Jaxsons 30 minutes, NAW should get 20 (minimum) too. I don't care if he makes a few bad plays in his first five minutes. Don't sub him for Frank. We probably aren't going to win this game anyway. Just play the guys.

Not expecting a win at all tonight, but I will be pleasantly surprised if we take this one.

Honestly surprised that nobody's commented on Jax's amazing achievements for a guy of his age. Is our main rookie (with Zion being out so far this year) setting multiple all-time records for teenagers not impressive?

Combined weight of our starting lineup < Big Van Vader and Yokozuna

Basketball Guru
    ingram got to stop doing those dumb fouls like that..

''What if Zion's surgery makes him lose his bounce?!''

Basketball Guru
    good pass from ingram and score by hayes

Thread Information