Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 10th January - New Orleans Pelicans @ New York Knicks - 13-25

We're running away with this now

Jax has 10 rebounds. That's his second consecutive double double.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He went down awkwardly and hasn't come back in. Eichenhofer tweeted that he's not coming back into this game. No knowledge of if it's a multi-game type issue yet.
    Thanks

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    This Pelicans team is young, exciting, and getting better. I can't wait till Zion is added.

Gentry's sitting Hayes

are we really gonna hold him back from a new career high and his first 20/10 game? He only needs 2 points.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    He has poor touch.
    I'm spoiled. My favorite player growing up was John Stockton.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    I'm spoiled. My favorite player growing up was John Stockton.
    I never got the Stockton bug (I wasn't alive during his heyday anyway but rewatching old games didn't give me an affection for him the same way it did for other older players) but I'm a huge huge Nash fan, so there's some spoilage going on here too.

Jesus Christ Okafor

Lonzo drove, moved to pass it to Okafor on the dump off and instead got tangled up, and Okafor just did a 360 spin in the wrong direction. Had absolutely no idea what he was doing.

Jax is back on the floor.

The 20/10 is alive

Simple screen from Jax and Ingram has the space for the 3.

I never got the Stockton bug (I wasn't alive during his heyday anyway but rewatching old games didn't give me an affection for him the same way it did for other older players) but I'm a huge huge Nash fan, so there's some spoilage going on here too.
    I'm a sucker for fundamentals, especially for an underdog.

When a 6'1 non athletic white dude can be 5x All Defensive team, 51% Fg 38% on 3's, 82%FTs.

He was tenacious in the passing lanes, offensively and defensively. Smartest player I've ever seen and he maxed out what he could get out of his body.

They call the absolute worst rookie fouls on Hayes lol

I'm a sucker for fundamentals, especially for an underdog.

When a 6'1 non athletic white dude can be 5x All Defensive team, 51% Fg 38% on 3's, 82%FTs.

He was tenacious in the passing lanes, offensively and defensively. Smartest player I've ever seen and he maxed out what he could get out of his body.
    Oh for sure, I do like him and he's unquestionably a legend, but he never really caught my personal tastes. I think one of his strengths (his fundamental soundness) is actually part of what irritates me about him at times; for a guy who averaged as many assists as he did, I think he actually left a lot of passes on the table that more ambitious passers like Nash or Magic would have made. Obviously Stockton racked up tons of assists anyway because he was running the 2 man game with Malone to perfection, but his lack of risk-taking as a playmaker and creator always soured me a little.

Edit: as a side note, one of my favourite NBA facts about Nash is that he averaged 50/40/90 for a stretch of over 650 games stretching from 2005-2013. Craziness.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-10-2020 at 08:38 PM.

So irritated that Jax didn't get the 20/10

That said, last game he had 14pts, 12rbds, 4blks. Tonight he had 18pts, 10rbds, 2stls, 3blks.

He's going to be very good.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I am anxiously awaiting Favors injury news. I saw him say he is fine to Jah, but we have seen this movie before.

Real impressed by that post game interview from Ingram

Looked and sounded like a grown azz man

Great win, take care of the teams we HAVE to beat and hopefully steal one from the C's tomorrow.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    So were going to have Zion, B.I., Hayes, and NAW for years? Looking spoiled right now and I'm loving it.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Oh for sure, I do like him and he's unquestionably a legend, but he never really caught my personal tastes. I think one of his strengths (his fundamental soundness) is actually part of what irritates me about him at times; for a guy who averaged as many assists as he did, I think he actually left a lot of passes on the table that more ambitious passers like Nash or Magic would have made. Obviously Stockton racked up tons of assists anyway because he was running the 2 man game with Malone to perfection, but his lack of risk-taking as a playmaker and creator always soured me a little.

Edit: as a side note, one of my favourite NBA facts about Nash is that he averaged 50/40/90 for a stretch of over 650 games stretching from 2005-2013. Craziness.
    For the stats guy, here's a video which compares Nash and Stockton. I found it pretty interesting.

For the stats guy, here's a video which compares Nash and Stockton. I found it pretty interesting.

I've seen that video before. It's pretty good, especially for people aren't massive stats guys, but I think if you want a really good statistically dense analysis of either Stockton or Nash, taking a look at Ben Taylor's (Thinking Basketball) top 40 player profiles and also his podcast about the top 10 playmakers in NBA history (Nash is 2nd, Stockton is 6th, if my memory serves correctly) are more intense analyses. He includes film as well, so it's not all figures.

Here's Stockton's profile, if you wanna take a look. Even if you already know a ton about the player, I like reading Ben's profiles because he gives a lot of statistical information that I'd rarely look into personally and he writes in a very entertaining way. In fact, reading all of his top 40 player profiles is a great way to waste an afternoon

https://backpicks.com/2018/01/25/bac...john-stockton/

To make this easier in one line

November (per 36): 8.2 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, 56.9%FG
    January (per 36): 10.5 rebounds, 2.9 blocks, 76.9%FG

With improvement in each category every month between. Not counting October cause it was 2 games

I was really impressed with Gentry’s rotation tonight. The simple use of Melli to combat the length of the Knicks was something he didn’t do a lot. Everyone is growing with this team, including Gentry.

So irritated that Jax didn't get the 20/10

That said, last game he had 14pts, 12rbds, 4blks. Tonight he had 18pts, 10rbds, 2stls, 3blks.

He's going to be very good.
    What’s funny is most of the NBA teams don’t get that production from their starting centers. I mean, maybe 3-4 teams? Dude is already that good. If the Pels guards contain their man, Hayes will be a serious problem

I've seen that video before. It's pretty good, especially for people aren't massive stats guys, but I think if you want a really good statistically dense analysis of either Stockton or Nash, taking a look at Ben Taylor's (Thinking Basketball) top 40 player profiles and also his podcast about the top 10 playmakers in NBA history (Nash is 2nd, Stockton is 6th, if my memory serves correctly) are more intense analyses. He includes film as well, so it's not all figures.

Here's Stockton's profile, if you wanna take a look. Even if you already know a ton about the player, I like reading Ben's profiles because he gives a lot of statistical information that I'd rarely look into personally and he writes in a very entertaining way. In fact, reading all of his top 40 player profiles is a great way to waste an afternoon

https://backpicks.com/2018/01/25/bac...john-stockton/
    Good article but way too nitpicked. "He was even hesitant to enter the lane at times because he had a hard time scoring or passing when in there: ". In the video I posted he takes Jordan 1 on 1 off the dribble for a layup...in the halfcourt.

I mean he can say it's an outlier, but I remember him doing this many times.

Thread Information