Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zion will “NOT” make debut vs Knicks Friday

Zion will “NOT” make debut vs Knicks Friday

Sorry Knicks fans & ESPN

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...njury.amp.html

Perhaps they had second thoughts about this. Maybe they are considering resting him whole season but allowing him to do pregame warmups. If you want to see him slam and jam get there as soon as doors open.

Not surprising whatsoever.

Many of us on the forum (myself included) seem to think that Zion will make his return at home, which would make sense as a crowd-pleasing measure. It would also give him a friendly, supportive environment to make his first appearance.

Some others (luckyman, I think, was one of these people) have suggested that VS the Jazz on the 16th would track better with the 3 practices guideline that Gentry mentioned a short while ago. That seems to tick more of the boxes.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    do it big..the 18th against the clippers on ABC...or the 26th against boston on espn....it got to be for the world to see....do it big lol...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    do it big..the 18th against the clippers on ABC...or the 26th against boston on espn....it got to be for the world to see....do it big lol...
    I think we got flexed out for Rockets vs Lakers that day. Warriors games been flexed out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Not surprising whatsoever.

Many of us on the forum (myself included) seem to think that Zion will make his return at home, which would make sense as a crowd-pleasing measure. It would also give him a friendly, supportive environment to make his first appearance.

Some others (luckyman, I think, was one of these people) have suggested that VS the Jazz on the 16th would track better with the 3 practices guideline that Gentry mentioned a short while ago. That seems to tick more of the boxes.
    I was betting on Utah too. If he isn’t back by then, I would scratch my head a little.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous now. Zion will miss half the season on a”6 to 8 week” procedure? But it’s okay to throw down between the leg dunks during warm up? I was 100% on board with the Griff hire, but I feel now like I was conned a little......buy season tickets, buy merch, to see the next big thing, then this?????
    Is Griff a used car salesman or is it me being impatient?

Quote Originally Posted by Chavan30 View Post
    Okay, this is getting ridiculous now. Zion will miss half the season on a”6 to 8 week” procedure? But it’s okay to throw down between the leg dunks during warm up? I was 100% on board with the Griff hire, but I feel now like I was conned a little......buy season tickets, buy merch, to see the next big thing, then this?????
    I don't think it's either, at least not fully.

I feel like giving 6-8 weeks early was a mistake. I get why they did it, because you kinda have to give a rough time-table, but when it hit 10 weeks and Griff was on the in-game commentary saying that there were other factors beyond just recovery that they wanted Zion to hit before returning to play, that felt like a complete error for them: why didn't they announce that right at the beginning? Why didn't they just say ''Zion will be out for 6-8 for injury rehab, but will remain out for a period of time afterwards, until he's up to game speed after missing so much time''? That's not necessarily used car salesman, but it's definitely a miscommunication that's led to a lot of frustration.

On the other hand, I do think there is a degree of impatience to it. We're at the point now where almost every game for the last 3 weeks people have been saying ''is THIS the game he's back? is it THIS one?!'' and it's like... no? We've been told some updates, and about 10 days ago we got told that they wanted him to have 2 or 3 full practices with the team before playing. So why, when we got told that nearly 2 weeks ago, did we have people expecting him to play in the very next game?

Unfortunately, we've had a big mess here. Huge hype + unclear communication + impatience = mass frustration.

Hopefully Zion will be back within the next handful of games and all of this can get put to the side while we enjoy some basketball.

Yeah . This is a real good troll job going here. Let’s have Zion have his own slam dunk contest before the game.

Nope he not ready.

Seriously is Vince McMahon in our front office too? Is Griff getting advice from him?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Yeah . This is a real good troll job going here. Let’s have Zion have his own slam dunk contest before the game.

Nope he not ready.

Seriously is Vince McMahon in our front office too? Is Griff getting advice from him?
    Being ready to do some walk throughs, hit a lay-up line, and do a dunk =/= being ready to play a full 25, 30 minutes of NBA basketball at in-game levels against active defenders

Looks ready to me

Thanks DAE, but I hope it’s not too late when he comes back. This organization was a laughing stock around the NBA, now there “seems” to be much distrust with the small by comparison fan base with the miscommunication. I have been getting questions like “ they haven’t had 2-3 practices in three weeks??”, “ we can’t play him but we can have him risking injury by doing crazy dunks in warm ups??”....etc. I am banging the drum for the Pels, but it feels like a losing battle.

Let him play

Thanks DAE, but I hope it’s not too late when he comes back. This organization was a laughing stock around the NBA, now there “seems” to be much distrust with the small by comparison fan base with the miscommunication. I have been getting questions like “ they haven’t had 2-3 practices in three weeks??”, “ we can’t play him but we can have him risking injury by doing crazy dunks in warm ups??”....etc. I am banging the drum for the Pels, but it feels like a losing battle.
    I totally understand that. It definitely is frustrating, and I want to see Zion play as much as anyone I think he has all-time great potential, and he's such a nice guy from all the interviews and locker room stories and such we've heard, you can't help but root for him. There's pretty much no other player I'd rather build my franchise around right now, aside from maybe Giannis.

That said, I do also totally recognise and appreciate that the longer Zion stays out, and the more people see him doing things like dunking in warmups, the more people are going to get annoyed. I've said it before on here: the fanbase isn't stupid, nobody minds Zion not playing when he's injured, people get that. But just not playing him when he is ready? That's a different issue.

I would like to note though that not having 3 practices in 3 weeks doesn't seem particularly unusual around the NBA. Teams don't get to practice properly as much as fans sometimes think, what with road-trips and physio and personal days and stuff. From what I understand, some of the older teams in the NBA basically don't practice at all, at least not with full-on 5-on-5 stuff.

It is frustrating, I want to see him back too, but I wouldn't give up hope quite yet. As long as he plays this month, I'm staying calm.

Nope he not ready.

There's an incredibly big difference between making a planned jump and dunk with your knees as opposed to trying to juke and track other players during a game. C'mon.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    There's an incredibly big difference between making a planned jump and dunk with your knees as opposed to trying to juke and track other players during a game. C'mon.
    We were told he is ready. Alvin Gentry said he was ready with time restrictions. He has been practicing for 2 weeks now!

Pels will probably end up getting fined for resting him.
    Although it's ok for Memphis to not play Iggy or Parsons.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Pels will probably end up getting fined for resting him.
    Although it's ok for Memphis to not play Iggy or Parsons.
    Pelicans fans bought season tickets with the intention of going to see Zion play. Zion secured multiple TV appearances for this team. Zion merch has been through the roof: Zion's jersey had more sales within 5 days than any other rookie's jersey in history.

Absolutely nobody bought a season ticket to watch Andre Iguodala play, and no games were given TV slots for Chandler Parsons.

Is that unfair? To have one standard for Zion and another for Parsons? Sure. Is it surprising to anyone, for any reason, at all? Not a bit.

I think we got flexed out for Rockets vs Lakers that day. Warriors games been flexed out too.
    According to what? The espn website still has us on abc for that game. Especially if they think Zion will be playing by then. ABC and ESPN are sister stations.

And whoever thought he'd play against the Knicks? Where did that come from?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    According to what? The espn website still has us on abc for that game. Especially if they think Zion will be playing by then. ABC and ESPN are sister stations.

And whoever thought he'd play against the Knicks? Where did that come from?
    A: NY Media. ESPN. This was supposed to be 8 -10 weeks. We are in week 12. It certainly is not shutting up Reggie Miller and Kendrick Perkins saying won’t play at all this season.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 01-10-2020 at 09:43 AM.

If Kendrick Perkins jumped off of a bridge, would you do it, too?

I'm hearing whispers that it will be Thur against the Jazz.

Whispers is a random guy in a group on Facebook. That's all I've got. Sorry.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-10-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    If Kendrick Perkins jumped off of a bridge, would you do it, too?

I'm hearing whispers that it will be Thur against the Jazz.

Whispers is a random guy in a group on Facebook. That's all I've got. Sorry.

Perk is not that bad at times. I would not mind him as an assistant coach. He is not afraid! As for Zion return did you wager the Jazz game ? Yes there is Vegas odds now.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Pelicans fans bought season tickets with the intention of going to see Zion play. Zion secured multiple TV appearances for this team. Zion merch has been through the roof: Zion's jersey had more sales within 5 days than any other rookie's jersey in history.

Absolutely nobody bought a season ticket to watch Andre Iguodala play, and no games were given TV slots for Chandler Parsons.

Is that unfair? To have one standard for Zion and another for Parsons? Sure. Is it surprising to anyone, for any reason, at all? Not a bit.
    I actually buy tickets to watch the team play. Zion is part of the team. When he is ready, he's ready. The vacillating on the board is actually pretty stupid

I just think the board is being cautious which is fine. He was probably okay to play a couple of weeks ago (with minute restrictions) but they want to make sure everything is 100% healed. If they hold him out past the Jazz game though, I’d be concerned with the way they are handling him. But again, I don’t know all the details.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I just think the board is being cautious which is fine. He was probably okay to play a couple of weeks ago (with minute restrictions) but they want to make sure everything is 100% healed. If they hold him out past the Jazz game though, I’d be concerned with the way they are handling him. But again, I don’t know all the details.

I cant copy paste now, but Griff did a radio interview yesterday and pretty much said the idea of sitting Zion all year is absurd. So he will play barring any setbacks.

Thread Information