Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: N/P : Davis turned down max extension offered by Lakers

NBA N/P : Davis turned down max extension offered by Lakers

Honeymoon over?

Basketball Guru
    dude stop it lol....he get 5yrs 202 in the summer.....

This alone doesn't mean anything. We all expected Davis to go into free agency, even if he's totally 100% committed to staying with the Lakers.

If he had taken the extension, it would be 4 years, $146m.

If he waits for free agency, LA can give him 5 years, $202m.

An extra year and an extra $56m? Of course he's going to wait until free agency.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This alone doesn't mean anything. We all expected Davis to go into free agency, even if he's totally 100% committed to staying with the Lakers.

An extra year and an extra $56m? Of course he's going to wait until free agency.
    So he is draining every penny from the Lakers then? Don’t we get more draft picks if he stays or they make playoffs something like that?

Drain them. Lakers tried the “El cheap o” LOL

Why he take a 5 year dealwith no out. I wouldn't be surprised if he does a 3+1 deal.

AD not gonna wanna be there in 5 years when we suck them dry of assests

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    AD not gonna wanna be there in 5 years when we suck them dry of assests
    Yeah my theory exactly.Same reason Lebron left Cleveland.

Why he take a 5 year dealwith no out. I wouldn't be surprised if he does a 3+1 deal.
    Possibly not, I'm not saying he will take the full 5 year/$202. I'm saying why would he take any deal now when he can just wait a little while, have all his options open, including the fattest possible paycheque?

Possibly not, I'm not saying he will take the full 5 year/$202. I'm saying why would he take any deal now when he can just wait a little while, have all his options open, including the fattest possible paycheque?
    AD made it pretty clear he is chasing legacy instead of building Taking more years in the long run is a paycut if the cap rises.

If AD stays in LA it has to be a 2-4 + 1 deal. If the ship starts sinking. I think he bounces or joins a superteam..

AD made it pretty clear he is chasing legacy instead of building Taking more years in the long run is a paycut if the cap rises.

If AD stays in LA it has to be a 2-4 + 1 deal. If the ship starts sinking. I think he bounces or joins a superteam..
    Very possibly. I wouldn't even be too surprised if he started following the Lebron James 1+1 model.

Very possibly. I wouldn't even be too surprised if he started following the Lebron James 1+1 model.
    Risky with his injury history.

Quote Originally Posted by calcium View Post
    Risky with his injury history.
    Possibly, but I would also note that AD hasn't had a serious injury for 3 years before coming into this season, and it wouldn't be the first time a player has bet on themselves if they thought it was the best way to earn more money long term.

Again, not saying he will do it, just saying it's an option.

Come on. Him turning the extension down was fully expected as it has been with every other star who has been offered it. He stands to get much more by waiting.

If I were him, given his durability issues and especially with him witnessing how cousins likely threw away tens of millions of dollars betting on himself i'd take that summer max.

Yeah if AD tears his Achilles (See Kevin Durant) the Lakers still have to pay him all that money?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    If I were him, given his durability issues and especially with him witnessing how cousins likely threw away tens of millions of dollars betting on himself i'd take that summer max.
    Again, AD has not actually suffered any kind of serious injury for 3 full seasons coming into this year, and has yet to suffer anything serious this year either (presuming him turning down the extension was recent).

He is probably not thinking in terms of ''durability issues''.

What if the Lakers have a first or second round exit? Anyone think that may go into his decision making? Wouldn't it be hilarious if he signed a 1+1 with the Clippers?

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    What if the Lakers have a first or second round exit? Anyone think that may go into his decision making? Wouldn't it be hilarious if he signed a 1+1 with the Clippers?
    Interesting scenario . That would give Clippers multiple championships for sure.

Speaking of Lakers, Davis, and injury risks:

Now, I don't know how much ''some time'' is, but let's imagine it's 2 weeks. That's a relatively short amount of time, while being more extreme than just resting. It's already been confirmed he won't play in their next 2 games:

Over the next 14 days (until January 22nd), the Lakers play:

- Dallas
    - OKC
    - Cleveland
    - Orlando
    - Houston
    - Boston
    - Knicks

The Lakers are already fairly shallow as it is. Without AD, I think there's a legit chance they drop 4 of those 7 games, the ones against Dallas, OKC, Houston, and Boston.

That's just assuming it's 2 weeks. If AD misses the rest of the month, then add in potential losses against Philadelphia, the Clippers, and Portland. They could easily go 4-7 to finish the month out. That's a pretty big tumble from being 29-7: it would put them at 33-14, which is obviously still good but is bad enough that (assuming none of the teams below them lose any games, which obviously won't happen) they could hypothetically fall from 1st seed to 7th.

Obviously that won't happen, other teams below them will lose games as well (in fact, some of them play each other during that time, like Denver VS Clippers on the 12th) but it still wouldn't be impossible to see the Lakers fall from 1st in the West to 3rd or 4th, which is fairly damaging.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-08-2020 at 01:11 AM.

Is this your second recent jinx or was that another poster?

....just to.....just to do a "heat check" and test out your possible powers, make a few posts about Harden saying that he hasn't had any major injuries in a while.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

....just to.....just to do a "heat check" and test out your possible powers, make a few posts about Harden saying that he hasn't had any major injuries in a while.
    Gets weirder when you read this

And find out my 2 week guess was pretty much bang on

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

He should also talk about Lebron's relative injury free career as well!

Gets weirder when you read this

And find out my 2 week guess was pretty much bang on
    AD gets the craziest made up injury.

Thread Information