Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quite good 'The Ringer' article on Zion's return

Quite good 'The Ringer' article on Zion's return

One of the better articles I have read all year regarding the state of the Pelicans and Zion's return:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/1...y-return-debut

Pretty spot on analysis IMO regarding the pros and cons of playing him at the 4 next to Favors vs. getting a stretch 5 and bringing Favors off the bench vs. playing Zion at the 5. Also good reminders about the last hyper-athlete of similar size that we have seen (Blake Griffin) and the eerily similar rookie knee issues, followed by continuing knee problems. I am hopeful we are doing all we can to set Zion in a different path.

I don't think this is a thing Pels need to decide upon this second---I don't think we're trading for Myles Turner this year and the list of guys who credibly shoot the 3 well enough to demand defensive respect and defend the rim can be counted on one, maybe two, hands. For the rest of the season when Zion returns, it's Zion and Favors to start. Maybe Zion gets spot minutes at the 5. Maybe he and Jax get some run together. Though Zion is short for the 4, he is by far the most physical option we've had at the 4 this season, and even if the spacing takes a hit, not being physically overmatched I think will have advantages on defense.

The hope is that Jaxson and Zion are able to expand their games to space for each other, at least adequately, in the long term.

The bigger evaluation point is for the offseason is whether in the short term you need a legitimate stretch big, or if you want to try to re-sign Favors to hold down the fort until Jax is ready. Given what the free agent market looks like, I think Favors will be the better option than anyone who is available.

'Eerily similar knee issues''

Zion had a torn meniscus, Blake had a shattered kneecap. These are not eerily similar
    Basketball.

Well that is true lol, I forgot what Griffins injury was. Glad Zion's was not as serious. I don't think a shattered kneecap would be self-caused by abnormal athleticism.

Do you think Myles Turner is obtainable?

How about this trade?

Pacers get
    Jrue Holiday, Favors, and Frank Jackson

Pels get
    Oladipo, Turner, and TJ McConnell

Pacers lineup

PG: Brogdon/Aaron Holiday
    SG: Jrue Holiday/Jeremy Lamb
    SF: TJ Warren/Justin Holiday
    PF: Sabonis/Doug McDermott
    C: Favors/Biatze

Pelicans lineup when healthy

PG: Ball/McConnell/NAW
    SG: Oladipo/Redick/Moore
    SF: Ingram/Hart
    PF: Williamson/Williams
    C: Turner/Hayes

The NBA Trade Machine also sanctions a trade that would bring Turner to the Pelicans for Moore, Miller and Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Do you think Myles Turner is obtainable?
    Depends on how the Pacers feel he fits with Sabonis. There were serious doubts previously, but he seems to look better this year. I am not sure he will be easy to get. It would probably involve at least one lightly protected 1st.

What do you think about Favors long term on this roster? Personally, I'd love to re-sign him to a modest 3 year deal with declining value. He knows that Jax is the center of the future, but he chose to be traded here over a number of different options. He seems like a pretty quiet and humble dude, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted Nola to be his final landing spot.

I don't think the fit with him and Zion is perfect in theory, but I cant wait to watch those guys clean the glass. Favors ability to slow and redirect players in the paint will also lead to a ton of block opportunities for Zion on the weak side. Offensively, I think it really depends on how tight Zion's handle is. If Zion shows the capability to run P&R, that big man P&R with BI and JJ in the corners could be absolutely deadly.

I like the Valanciunas contract as a comparison for what Favors could get. 3 years 45 million with 16 in the first year and declines from there.

Thanks for posting this!
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

We should be developing Zion as a wing player not a big. He has acceptable size for a SF, but he's a terribly undersize as a big. Zion has handles to play on the perimeter. I think it'll be better for his health long term as well.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 01-09-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I love Myles Turner. That boy is the truth. But he's very unattainable. He's on a good contract on a good team. No way Indy trades him for scrap.

Zion is not that undersized for a big because his girth makes up for lack of height. He can be groomed to play and guard all over the floor like an even shorter and lighter Draymond does.

good article until he said blake griffin is just as good an athlete as zion. yeah...no.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    What do you think about Favors long term on this roster? Personally, I'd love to re-sign him to a modest 3 year deal with declining value.
    I haven't thought about it a ton, so maybe I'd change my mind if I did, but basically this. Modest, relatively short deal that doesn't cost us a ton. If he'd take it, that would be good.

Mike Prada's rebuttal from a BI perspective.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2020/1/...-injury-return

Favors on a multiyear contract, if the contract is reasonable, is a solid option, especially if we can get a stretch 5 that plays great D and/or Zion starts at the 5, Favors would be the perfect backup 5 so our defense does not go down the toilet with the second unit, especially if it is for a good deal.

However, a large part of the Lakers dominance has been due to their stellar defense inside and rim protection provided by two oft-overlooked players: Javale McGee and Dwight Howard. Their offensive shortcomings have been made irrelevant as long as LBJ and AD stay healthy.

So I don't think we need to be married to Favors if there are similar options out there.

Something most people forget is that good defense is MUCH cheaper to sign than good offense.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Something most people forget is that good defense is MUCH cheaper to sign than good offense.
    Ehhhh, not sure how true that is for bigs. The number of NBA bigs who are generally poor but who can give you put-backs, tip-ins, and basic rim running is pretty high, whereas I honestly think there's a true dearth of legitimate defensive bigs in the NBA who can defend more than one position adequately.

Oh it is definitely true, as long as you remember that you do not need to be a defensive virtuoso like Draymond Green who can guard every position on the floor to still be extremely effective. The defense McGee and Howard provide are massive contributors to the Lakers position in the standings, and it is not because they are very good at guarding multiple positions.

And the overall philosophy that defense is cheaper than offense is how the Lakers built a 1st place team with what many (most?) considered to be scrubs surrounding their two stars.
    Last edited by SoCal4Pels; 01-08-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Oh it is definitely true, as long as you remember that you do not need to be a defensive virtuoso like Draymond Green who can guard every position on the floor to still be extremely effective. The defense McGee and Howard provide are massive contributors to the Lakers position in the standings, and it is not because they are very good at guarding multiple positions.

And the overall philosophy that defense is cheaper than offense is how the Lakers built a 1st place team with what many (most?) considered to be scrubs surrounding their two stars.
    I feel like that's misattributing the Lakers success. Of course, it does help that the Lakers have 3 very capable rim protectors (there's been talk on this board elsewhere about how rim protection is the single most important defensive factor for a team, and it's true), but a huge part of the reason their defense has been better than some expected is that AD continues to be a DPOY type player who can defend every position on the court, and Lebron is playing his best defense since 2013, and those same two players are unguardable.

Basically, the philosophy that defense is cheaper than offense isn't how the Lakers built a 1st place team with scrubs, the existence of Lebron James and Anthony Davis in tandem is how the Lakers built a 1st place team with mostly scrubs. And those scrubs have, largely, been scrubbish: Rondo, Avery Bradley, Kyle Kuzma, they have been pretty damn bad, but it's just the floor on an AD/Lebron team is pretty high. And, of course, they've got a capable coach maximising those scrubs in many instances.

Gonna have to disagree, then. The Lakers spending the rest of their limited money surrounding AD and Lebron with guys who can't play D, I don't see them in 1st.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    We should be developing Zion as a wing player not a big. He had acceptable size for a SF he's a terribly undersize big. Zion has handles to play on the perimeter. I think it'll be better for his health long term as well.

i want to see zion at the 3 also........ingram,,zion,,hayes at the 2,3 and 4 positions and build around that in 2022 when hayes should be developed.....

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Mike Prada's rebuttal from a BI perspective.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2020/1/...-injury-return
    BI has essentially been the same player whether at the 3 or the 4. He still killed it with Kenny in the starting lineup who is probably a worse shooter and has WAY less gravity than Zion. He has defensive issues at both 3 and 4, but has generally done better on smaller quicker guys than guys who can overpower him.

I think it probably takes a couple shots away, and so I expect his points per game will go down a bit. Otherwise I'm not worried about this.

I do think it's possible Pels close games with Zion at the 5 and BI at the 4 in matchups without a threatening big man.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    BI has essentially been the same player whether at the 3 or the 4. He still killed it with Kenny in the starting lineup who is probably a worse shooter and has WAY less gravity than Zion. He has defensive issues at both 3 and 4, but has generally done better on smaller quicker guys than guys who can overpower him.

I think it probably takes a couple shots away, and so I expect his points per game will go down a bit. Otherwise I'm not worried about this.

I do think it's possible Pels close games with Zion at the 5 and BI at the 4 in matchups without a threatening big man.
    Before the season started, I tries to do a rough estimate of what kind of shot distribution we'd get. I predicted Ingram to get maybe 15 or 16 shots a game. So far, he's taking 18.6 shots a game. With Zion coming in, I estimated Zion to take something like 13 shots a game, since thats the average of the last 10 number one picks.

So Ingram dropping his shot attempts from 18.6 to about 16 wouldn't be out of the question, and that would result in a small drop in scoring as well, probably from about 25ppg to maybe 22ppg, but it's important to remember that that drop in scoring won't be a bad thing, and it's not a sign of a regression; it's just a sign of fitting with a different player.

Obviously you weren't saying it would be a bad thing, I'm just clarifying the kind of drop we might expect to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I feel like that's misattributing the Lakers success. Of course, it does help that the Lakers have 3 very capable rim protectors (there's been talk on this board elsewhere about how rim protection is the single most important defensive factor for a team, and it's true), but a huge part of the reason their defense has been better than some expected is that AD continues to be a DPOY type player who can defend every position on the court, and Lebron is playing his best defense since 2013, and those same two players are unguardable.

Basically, the philosophy that defense is cheaper than offense isn't how the Lakers built a 1st place team with scrubs, the existence of Lebron James and Anthony Davis in tandem is how the Lakers built a 1st place team with mostly scrubs. And those scrubs have, largely, been scrubbish: Rondo, Avery Bradley, Kyle Kuzma, they have been pretty damn bad, but it's just the floor on an AD/Lebron team is pretty high. And, of course, they've got a capable coach maximising those scrubs in many instances.
    AD cannot guard every position on the floor. Lets not go over board. And top end players like Durant have made mince meat out of AD every time they've played, whereas a real DPOY type like Draymond makes every player he defends work for every shot.

I'm pretty sure BI will even give him trouble next time they meet. Our team apparently doesn't watch tape and didn't know you can pump fake AD into a foul 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    AD cannot guard every position on the floor. Lets not go over board. And top end players like Durant have made mince meat out of AD every time they've played, whereas a real DPOY type like Draymond makes every player he defends work for every shot.

I'm pretty sure BI will even give him trouble next time they meet. Our team apparently doesn't watch tape and didn't know you can pump fake AD into a foul 99% of the time.
    This is ridiculous

I mean, I get that people on this board, and Pelicans fans in general, have this distaste towards AD for obvious and totally justifiable reasons, but if we're getting to the point where we say ''AD isn't a multi-positional defender because Kevin Durant scores on him'' is a thing people are saying in all seriousness it's time to just pack up and go.

Kevin Durant scores on everyone, because he's an elite scorer. Just like how AD regularly tore up Draymond Green when we played the Warriors (AD averages 25/13/3 on 59% TS against Golden State in his career) or how Zion dropped 26pts on 75% shooting against Rudy Gobert almost entirely in the paint. Great scorers score, even on good defense.

That doesn't mean Draymond Green isn't an elite defender, or that Gobert isn't good at defending the paint.

Anthony Davis is one of the top 10 or 15 defenders in the NBA, is switchable, can defend the paint and the perimeter, against guys at a variety of positions and heights. That's just the reality of the situation. We all know he can be lazy on that end, and that inconsistency hurts him (it probably cost him a DPOY in 2017-18) but when he's locked in he's as good as anyone. We all saw that during the Portland sweep a few seasons ago, and he's been a finalist for DPOY three times because of it, and will very possibly win it this year.

Thread Information