Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The new Lonzo - buying or selling?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I made a thread a while back and was wondering why Zo wasn’t allowed to run the offense and “play his game” rather than be a “sit in the corner” guy. It seems lately Zo has been running the show and he’s playing well. He’s playing with a ton more confidence and his play and numbers are showing it.

I’m excited to see him grow with Zion, BI and Jax.
    I remember your post and agreed with it. Not sure what role Gentry had him playing previously, but it was very odd. Maybe it was because his ankle was still bothering him at the time. He looks much more comfortable running the offense now.

Buying! Absolutely no way I trade Lonzo unless someone blows us away. The kid does so many things most fans don’t see because they don’t care to. I’m not just on the band wagon because of a few great game he’s played but because I believe he can consistently do this as he grows and continues developing his game. Lonzo has the talent to be the best overall PG in the NBA and he’s showing at just 21 years old he can play that way at times. He came to a new system and has been plagued by nagging injuries while trying to adjust. All great players take time and I had to do the same crap defending Ingram against a bunch of idiots. Not saying Lonzo will be an MVP caliber player but I do believe in a year or 2 once he has put in the work he will be a star caliber guard. Again he’s 21 years old!!

I find it so ridiculous it’s like people want this kid to fail to be right about something. Do you know what Lonzo turning into the PG he can be does for this franchise?! He’s on the perfect position here to be the best player he can be. Yet some want him to fail that are Pelicans fan.. makes a ton of sense..

Lonzo's play has really stepped up.15 Assists against the Celtics.No way the Pels are trading him he fits like a glove with Zion,his shooting is much improved,he has a good all around game.
    Lonzo in January 14.1ppg 7.2 rebounds 9.3 assists 1.4 steals and the defense has been good.Getting traded to the Pels was the best thing that could happen for him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wecandothis View Post
    Lonzo's play has really stepped up.15 Assists against the Celtics.No way the Pels are trading him he fits like a glove with Zion,his shooting is much improved,he has a good all around game.
    Lonzo in January 14.1ppg 7.2 rebounds 9.3 assists 1.4 steals and the defense has been good.Getting traded to the Pels was the best thing that could happen for him.
    Agreed. Watching the progress of Lonzo has been great. At first he was a bit disappointing, but now he and Ingram (plus Hart and picks) from the trade have turned out much better than I expected.

So, having watched most of Lonzo's game since he was drafted, I have been cautious about coming to the conclusion that he has turned a corner, as he has always been a streaky up-and-down player--the ups and downs seemingly correlated with his vary degrees of engagement and enthusiasm on any given night if you pay attention to his body language and facial expressions. Despite his historically wonky shot, lack of touch around the basket, and lack of half court creative abilities, his primary deficit, in my opinion, has always been in the mental realm.

However, given that we have a little bit more data now, I am becoming more optimistic that he has turned a 'mental corner'. Take a look at his game log, paying particular attention to the game on 12/29. This was his first triple-double of the season, and an incredible one with 27 pts, super efficient, and not too many turnovers. Just look at the before and after games on his points, assists, and rebounds... It seems like something clicked for him in that game, like he came to the realization, "This is what I am capable of." It matches the eye test as well, as he has seemed more consistently mentally engaged in games and he is even getting more assertive in half-court sets.

He's already had two more triple-doubles in the short time since that game, and nearly another two more on 1/13 and 1/22. You don't get triple-doubles without mental engagement and effort, if achieving them more frequently is a new goal he has set for himself, e.g. Russel Westbrook. You can say all you want about RW's shortcomings (and I do, and they are many), but you cannot doubt the guy's effort and engagement every single game.

Last edited by SoCal4Pels; 01-27-2020 at 03:25 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Not only has Lonzo been on fire, he's going to be even better when Zion gets back, their games are tailor made to fit each other.
    You weren’t never lying.

Baby steps... until we sign him to a long term contract. Then you better light it up b@@@@

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    So, having watched most of Lonzo's game since he was drafted, I have been cautious about coming to the conclusion that he has turned a corner, as he has always been a streaky up-and-down player--the ups and downs seemingly correlated with his vary degrees of engagement and enthusiasm on any given night if you pay attention to his body language and facial expressions. Despite his historically wonky shot, lack of touch around the basket, and lack of half court creative abilities, his primary deficit, in my opinion, has always been in the mental realm.

However, given that we have a little bit more data now, I am becoming more optimistic that he has turned a 'mental corner'. Take a look at his game log, paying particular attention to the game on 12/29. This was his first triple-double of the season, and an incredible one with 27 pts, super efficient, and not too many turnovers. Just look at the before and after games on his points, assists, and rebounds... It seems like something clicked for him in that game, like he came to the realization, "This is what I am capable of." It matches the eye test as well, as he has seemed more consistently mentally engaged in games and he is even getting more assertive in half-court sets.

He's already had two more triple-doubles in the short time since that game, and nearly another two more on 1/13 and 1/22. You don't get triple-doubles without mental engagement and effort, if achieving them more frequently is a new goal he has set for himself, e.g. Russel Westbrook. You can say all you want about RW's shortcomings (and I do, and they are many), but you cannot doubt the guy's effort and engagement every single game.

The Conundrum with Westbrook is basically when a streaky subpar shooter gas his way to a triple double isn't a winning formula. When they're hot and efficient.. He is Clearly a world beater, but you can bet more often than not that he won't be one.

Lonzo got to be just efficient.

I honestly think Westbrook's biggest crime as a player has been popularising the idea that a triple-double automatically means you had a great game.
    Basketball.

No option to hold?

I'm buying. I like what I've seen recently. Getting away from L.A. is probably good for what ailed him.

Thread Information