Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 6th January - New Orleans Pelicans VS Utah Jazz - 12-24

Pelicans 6th January - New Orleans Pelicans VS Utah Jazz - 12-24

Against several odds, we managed to eke out a victory last game courtesy of JJ Redick hitting a cool game-winner. That was against Sacramento, a team which has been struggling a lot to garner wins recently and which have been having a very rough time of it. Tonight we return home to face off against the Utah Jazz, a team who are 23-12 and have lost only a single game since December 11th, going 11-1 in that time period.

Of course, that's no reason not to try and go for the win, so what kind of team are the Jazz up until this point in the season?

18th in pace, 7th in defense, 19th in offense, those numbers alone tell you a lot about the Jazz. Defensively based, which we all expect from a team anchored around reigning DPOY Rudy Gobert, the Jazz focus on a slightly slower, more half-court game that allows them to exert defensive pressure and be more methodical with their offense. Anyone who has watched the Jazz this year knows that their offense has been inconsistent, largely due to a fairly dramatic slump from Mike Conley (who is out for this game). Beyond that, one of the most consistent threats that Utah's bench units have used for the last few seasons, the Favors/Ingles PnR, has been taken away from them due to the loss of Favors.

One thing to look out for is that the Jazz are an efficient team. While their pace drags down their number of shot attempts compared to some of the more athletic teams, (they are dead last in FGAs per game, for example) they are efficient with them: the Jazz are 9th in FG% in the league, and 1st in 3PT%, shooting 38.8% from 3 as a team.

Beyond that, they're bottom 5 in assists, steals, and blocks, something that comes as a mild surprise given Gobert's presence, but there it is. They are, however, 3rd in Defensive Rebounding, so it's not like Gobert isn't doing anything at all; he's averaging 14/14 with 2 blocks per game at the moment.

Despite the Jazz's enviable record and their strong showings over the last several weeks, they aren't unbeatable. They have clear weaknesses, and are a team that we can steal a win from if we come together and play to the best of our abilities. Will we do that or not? Well, that remains to be seen, but it's all possible.

Let's go, #WBD.
    Basketball.

It's bizarro day! I'm usually the optimist. This one....I mean.....I guess we do have a chance. And we DO play up to competition. OK. You've got me pumped.

EDIT: I was letting that whole "10 out of their last 11" intimidate me....but upon further inspection, only one of those wins came against a winning team. And that one was against the Clippers who are in an odd sort of funk. The Heat beat the Jazz and then every other team they played in that 11 game stretch is well under .500. Yeah yeah, I know. We're well under .500. But that DOES give me hope.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-06-2020 at 01:58 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

What’s the latest on Jrue?

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    What’s the latest on Jrue?
    Most likely not playing tonight.

So looks like I'm 0-1 on Zion debut. Now I'm calling the 16th, also against the Jazz.

Jrue officially ruled out about ten min ago.

Basketball Guru
    its the start of mardi gras...

frank will step up and score in the 20s since jrue is out...i have faith gentry will make it happen...

moore will have a 20pt game also and hitting six 3s....

okafor will chip in 10-15pts...

the jazz will go 11 for 40 from the 3pt line and shoot themselves out of the game in the 4th...then we make the comeback and win 112-105.....go pels...

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Most likely not playing tonight.

So looks like I'm 0-1 on Zion debut. Now I'm calling the 16th, also against the Jazz.

you have to do it big in zion debut so the world can see..so im going for the 18 against the clippers on ABC..or on MLK day against morant on TNT...

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Jrue officially ruled out about ten min ago.
    Opens the door for NAW….I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Opens the door for NAW….I hope.
    Yes. Kid has too many skills to struggle forever. The light will come on with some minutes. I do like that he and Zion can get a soft entry into the league. Just observe the first half of the year. Which Jaxson could have done the same instead of instant frying pan.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    you have to do it big in zion debut so the world can see..so im going for the 18 against the clippers on ABC..or on MLK day against morant on TNT...
    Personally I think they'll debut Zion in a home game. Memphis game is on the road, so I think that's not likely the be the debut.

16th at home V Jazz or 18th v Clippers seems more likely, imo

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Personally I think they'll debut Zion in a home game. Memphis game is on the road, so I think that's not likely the be the debut.

16th at home V Jazz or 18th v Clippers seems more likely, imo
    lol i have alot going on that weekend down here and was honestly telling people that i cant wait to see morant and zion and just forgot Memphis always play that game at home lol......was talking mad noise to the ole lady telling her that i cant go to an event that day that she want us to go to because of the game lol smh.....i still have to find a way to get out of it........

man you really just killed my joy just now lol...

lol i have alot going on that weekend down here and was honestly telling people that i cant wait to see morant and zion and just forgot Memphis always play that game at home lol......was talking mad noise to the ole lady telling her that i cant go to an event that day that she want us to go to because of the game lol smh.....i still have to find a way to get out of it........

man you really just killed my joy just now lol...
    Hey I mean, even if it's not the debut he might well still be back for that so it's still a show worth watching.

And who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they do bring him back for that rather than at home?

Basketball Guru
    Hey I mean, even if it's not the debut he might well still be back for that so it's still a show worth watching.

And who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they do bring him back for that rather than at home?

since we talking about zion debut...question...do some of yall believe that the national tv network in ABC have or had some input in zion debut if its against the clippers on ABC?.....ratings for them because its a primetime game......

yes i do the conspiracy thing...

since we talking about zion debut...question...do some of yall believe that the national tv network in ABC have or had some input in zion debut if its against the clippers on ABC?.....ratings for them because its a primetime game......

yes i do the conspiracy thing...
    I wouldn't want to speculate, really. Of course money talks, but I don't think Griff or the medical staff would be swayed too easily for something as small as which day Zion debuts when they're planning for the next several years of his deal. Could be wrong, of course, but I wouldn't think it would play too much into their decision.

I'm sure they already know which game Zion will return, barring an unforeseen setback, but the Pels under Griffin have been pretty tight lipped. I doubt we'll see a leak unless they know for sure he's going to play, and at that point I'd expect the news to come from Woj. Any other source will just be speculation.

It will be interesting to see what Zo does having to guard their top guy all night now. Let’s see if he can put it together on the D and 9 zones. Looking forward to a win tonight.

Hmm, interesting.

All-Star
    It is time!!!!

Two bad defensive possessions to start things off

Bad turnover. Jrue does that a lot and I'm not glad to see Ingram copying: stop leaving your feet when you don't know what you're going to do with it. Leaping and hoping isn't good enough, leads to bad turnovers a lot.

I appreciate the attempt for a dish but why would Lonzo make that pass instead of finishing? He had a full head of steam and the only person between him and the basket was Donovan Mitchell, who was out of position. Would have been an easy dunk, why pass it out?

And of course, Hart bricked it so it just salts the wound.

We are very lucky they didn't call Moore for a foul on that

Thread Information