Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gentry for Coach of the Year thread!

Pelicans Gentry for Coach of the Year thread!

Yes you heard right. It would be only fair if we have this thread as well as the Fire Gentry threads. I already know one poster on here that will sign it but who else? The reason for him maybe getting this honor if things continue up would be the injury situation as well as the Zion situation. If you have more reasons you can add on. By the way I still say FireGentry. But it seems like as the days go on Alvin has got 9 lives and will finish the season.

Anyone want to comment?

If we get the 6 seed gentry would deserve it tbh.

We have to find a way to turn frank/jah into a contributing player. If minny moves Kat do we send jah there for a pick or a middling player? The only way we get the 6 is for zion to go bananas and take over games early. Essentially our season goes as zion goes.

Coach of the year?!

This entire board is a bunch of pessimistic ninnies. He's hall of fame. Coach of the decade. Coach of the century.

IF we're being consistent....and that's what we should always strive for....and we give him credit for all of the things the team is currently doing right just as we were scapegoating him for all of the things they were doing wrong....then there are a lot of people who should be echoing the above hyperbole.

If we're being consistent.

But we aren't being consistent.

Being serious, though. I agree with WN. If we sneak into the 8th seed....nah....he's just good. If he can somehow bring this team to a 6th seed....and dare I say 'win one playoff series', then absolutely he would deserve it.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 12-30-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Hire Ginty

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I’m not a fan of Alvin, but I do think he allows players to showcase their skills. It’s almost like, if you can’t play for Gentry, the NBA might not be for you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo...on-williamson/

How dare they suggest the coach who resided over the biggest period of AD's improvement and is currently over Hayes be good enough to coach Zion!

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo...on-williamson/

How dare they suggest the coach who resided over the biggest period of AD's improvement and is currently over Hayes be good enough to coach Zion!
    Pause the irony here, I gotta ask: do you legitimately attribute AD's growth into a superstar to Alvin Gentry? Or is it that you're just saying that whatever Gentry's issues, they're clearly not bad enough to prevent someone with star talent from improving? Because I'd agree on the latter, not on the former.

Not trying to diss on Gentry even here, just asking that question in full seriousness.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-14-2020 at 04:16 AM.
    Basketball.

One of those ones that starts as a little embellishment but then, when you really look at it, you HAVE to give him credit when you look at the numbers. The majority of the credit goes to the player, of course, for being trainable, but not only did AD have his biggest increase by a hugr margin under Gentry, other bigs have done similar. Enough to form a pattern. Hayes with this stellar rookie season. Christian Wood. Jah is now playing at an all-star level! That last one was a joke to make you snort. But Jah IS improved.

Through his time here, Gentry has helped quite a few bigs hone their skills and showcase their talent. This was in response to the people saying "he'll ruin Zion". History says otherwise.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Hire Ginty

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Pause the irony here, I gotta ask: do you legitimately attribute AD's growth into a superstar to Alvin Gentry? Or is it that you're just saying that whatever Gentry's issues, they're clearly not bad enough to prevent someone with star talent from improving? Because I'd agree on the latter, not on the former.

Not trying to diss on Gentry even here, just asking that question in full seriousness.
    You are absolutely dissing Gentry. Msous is right in that Gentry, and the coaching staff at large, deserve credit for AD's development. You've established at length that you don't like Gentry. We got it!

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    From going to FIRE ALVIN to ALVIN COACH OF THE YEAR is truly a remarkable feat.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    From going to FIRE ALVIN to ALVIN COACH OF THE YEAR is truly a remarkable feat.
    True dat! Yeah, I'm not arguing for coach of the year, but we gotta give credit where credit is due

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    You are absolutely dissing Gentry. Msous is right in that Gentry, and the coaching staff at large, deserve credit for AD's development. You've established at length that you don't like Gentry. We got it!
    It is not an insult to Gentry to say he's not personally and singularly responsible for someone who was lauded as a potential all-timer coming out of college turning into said all-timer. If even that is an insult to you, then damn near anything must be.

One of those ones that starts as a little embellishment but then, when you really look at it, you HAVE to give him credit when you look at the numbers. The majority of the credit goes to the player, of course, for being trainable, but not only did AD have his biggest increase by a hugr margin under Gentry, other bigs have done similar. Enough to form a pattern. Hayes with this stellar rookie season. Christian Wood. Jah is now playing at an all-star level! That last one was a joke to make you snort. But Jah IS improved.

Through his time here, Gentry has helped quite a few bigs hone their skills and showcase their talent. This was in response to the people saying "he'll ruin Zion". History says otherwise.
    I don't see that, to be honest. Obviously I see that players have developed in New Orleans, I don't doubt that, but I would give far more of the credit for that to

1) The players themselves
    and
    2) The development/training staff

than to Alvin Gentry. Of course you could argue that Gentry is the person who decides on who the training staff are, which is totally fair and I concede that, so yeah he seems to make good choices in that regard. But the head coach isn't actually the guy who does that work personally, at least not the majority of the time.

And of course, with someone like AD, this was a guy that was regarded as having all-time potential at the time of the draft. That was just something that he already had and that basically everyone thought he would grow into regardless of where he went as long as they didn't actively screw it up. So yeah, big props to Alvin for not screwing it up, but I hardly think you can crow brilliance at someone for just managing to not screw something.

It's similar with Zion here. Zion is going to be great, on an individual level, pretty much regardless of who coaches him. Hes just that good, his talent is just that immense. Gentry is a nice guy who players seem to like, and our development staff is solid, so Gentry's flaws (huge as they are) are probably not going to stop that. I trust Gentry not to ruin a player in that sense. But that's got nothing to do with why people wanted Gentry firing in the first place. Nobody was hitting the board like ''FIRE GENTRY! HE IS SLIGHTLY SUBPAR AT PLAYER DEVELOPMENT!''

Nah. When you talk about Hayes, you consistently talk about how his potential at this age on offense is much higher than AD's ever was coming out of the draft. You then go on to show all the metrics and numbers that talk about how Hayes shoots better from the line and is more efficient than AD was at this age and have even made the statement that AD was purported to be all-time at defense and good at offense but they never expected him to be an actual all-time player. Before Zion, LeBron was the last to have that tag.

Nah. When you talk about Hayes, you consistently talk about how his potential at this age on offense is much higher than AD's ever was coming out of the draft. You then go on to show all the metrics and numbers that talk about how Hayes shoots better from the line and is more efficient than AD was at this age and have even made the statement that AD was purported to be all-time at defense and good at offense but they never expected him to be an actual all-time player. Before Zion, LeBron was the last to have that tag.
    I remember AD being expected to basically be Gobert with a little better offense.

I think what you have to remember is that I actually started watching the NBA at the start of AD's rookie season, so my pre-draft thoughts on AD are based on retrospectively watching old film of him, and what other people have said he was in college. I don't have first-hand experience of watching him at Kentucky. So while Hayes does shoot better than AD from the line, for example, I can't actually say how much college-AD projected as an offensive player because I didn't watch him at the time, and even watching the old tape back is coloured by my knowledge of what came after. So that has to be taken into consideration.

Anyway, that's not really the point of the post you're replying to anyway. The point was that the people calling for Gentry's firing are not/were not doing it on the basis of his developmental abilities, which I think we would all accept are mostly positive. They're doing it for completely unrelated reasons regarding his game management, overall offensive philosophy, poor rotational ability, and his general inability to field a high quality defensive team with any consistency. Whether Gentry hires good developmental staff or not is largely immaterial in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I remember AD being expected to basically be Gobert with a little better offense.
    From what I've read (old scouting profiles, pre-draft analyses, etc) the general consensus on AD seemed to be that he'd be an okay offensive player, mostly as a rim runner and PnR big, but that he was the best defensive prospect of the last 20 years and possibly the best since Hakeem.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Once he wins CotY, he's sure to be fired the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Once he wins CotY, he's sure to be fired the next season.
    ...good point

Gentry for COTY!

Hahaha. That is good.

I don't think we can really evaluate his Xs and Os, yet. They weren't awful during the AD era and I never paid attention enough to him when he coached other teams to notice. I think the flaw people have when evaluating Gentry this season is they go into with the team philosophical stance that the goal for this year is 'winning as many games as possible and going as far as possible in the playoffs'.

I've stated before my opinion that the team philosophy for this season is 'development of our team and young players is paramount.....winning is secondary'. The recent handling of Zion comfirms that further, to me.

So he seems to be great at developing young players. Especially bigs. Our main focus is developing players. He's our perfect coach, currently.

Am I sold on him outside of two or three years? No. I would need to see more to judge. But there's a poster on here (can't remember who) that has said multiple times he thinks Gentry will move up in the org and someone else will be hired as head coach....with Gentry staying with us......I didn't think much of that at the time but it's looking less and less far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It is not an insult to Gentry to say he's not personally and singularly responsible for someone who was lauded as a potential all-timer coming out of college turning into said all-timer. If even that is an insult to you, then damn near anything must be.
    You've got 7 years of watching NBA basketball under your belt. You can slow your roll a little. When referencing a players development and the coach, you are speaking of the staff at large, and Gentry is in charge of that staff. So yes, you are dissing Gentry.

Thread Information