Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gentry for Coach of the Year thread!

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    You've got 7 years of watching NBA basketball under your belt. You can slow your roll a little. When referencing a players development and the coach, you are speaking of the staff at large, and Gentry is in charge of that staff. So yes, you are dissing Gentry.
    How is it dissing Gentry to say that he is not personally responsible for the individual skills of every player that passes through his player development staff? If that's the case, and we're forced to give Gentry all the credit for successes like AD, then is he also to be condemned off the back of development gone wrong, or players degrading in quality? Of course development is partially the consequence of the staff, and yes, Gentry chooses his staff: to that extent it is at least under his influence. I've conceded that much to MSU earlier in the thread. Gentry's staff seems to be competent (From what we can tell from an outsider's perspective) and Gentry's actual flaws as a HC don't seem to get in the way of that. However, there's a pretty big leap from ''we've generally had solid development under Gentry'' to ''Gentry is personally responsible for the improvements and growth of every player that has passed through the team during his tenure as HC''.

As for the point about me having a certain amount of time under my belt, that's a fairly empty point, to be honest. I'm not flawless, of course, and I can make mistakes or be incorrect just as much as anyone can, but the reason for that isn't the quantity of basketball I've consumed in my life. I'm confident that I've watched and analysed more basketball in that time than most more casual (which I understand may not apply to you: I don't know how much basketball you watch), fans have done in double the span. You're obviously allowed to disagree with my takes, but I'd appreciate it if you did so from a perspective of discussing the content of them rather than just trying to apply a seniority argument.
    Basketball.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    How is it dissing Gentry to say that he is not personally responsible for the individual skills of every player that passes through his player development staff? If that's the case, and we're forced to give Gentry all the credit for successes like AD, then is he also to be condemned off the back of development gone wrong, or players degrading in quality? Of course development is partially the consequence of the staff, and yes, Gentry chooses his staff: to that extent it is at least under his influence. I've conceded that much to MSU earlier in the thread. Gentry's staff seems to be competent (From what we can tell from an outsider's perspective) and Gentry's actual flaws as a HC don't seem to get in the way of that. However, there's a pretty big leap from ''we've generally had solid development under Gentry'' to ''Gentry is personally responsible for the improvements and growth of every player that has passed through the team during his tenure as HC''.

As for the point about me having a certain amount of time under my belt, that's a fairly empty point, to be honest. I'm not flawless, of course, and I can make mistakes or be incorrect just as much as anyone can, but the reason for that isn't the quantity of basketball I've consumed in my life. I'm confident that I've watched and analysed more basketball in that time than most more casual (which I understand may not apply to you: I don't know how much basketball you watch), fans have done in double the span. You're obviously allowed to disagree with my takes, but I'd appreciate it if you did so from a perspective of discussing the content of them rather than just trying to apply a seniority argument.
    Bruh! Gentry is personally responsible for putting the staff together. End of story. No need for 3 pages arguing semantics.

There's also too much empirical evidence with other players to ingore that Gentry makes younglings (especially bigs) better. It's not just one incident.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I still want Gentry fired at the end of the season.

Those refs are going to give him a nervous breakdown. Actually if he wants to really win back the fanbase he needs to start calling out the officials again like he did a couple of years ago. Make the NBA cringe even if you have to dish out a check.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    If we get the 6 seed gentry would deserve it tbh.

We have to find a way to turn frank/jah into a contributing player. If minny moves Kat do we send jah there for a pick or a middling player? The only way we get the 6 is for zion to go bananas and take over games early. Essentially our season goes as zion goes.

If we somehow do well enough to get the 6th seed (taking into account how far back we were and how well we would have to do), then I would consider us to be the favorite in the series with the 3rd and that it would be a letdown not to win a series

Been saying for years we need Mark Few from Gonzaga even though I DOUBT he would ever leave. But if we finish at the 700 winning percentage over the next 40 games that we have over the last 14 he will stay.

I don't want Gentry fired until the Pels have a better candidate lined up to take over. I do not want a roster with this much youth to be led by an interim head coach.

Thread Information