Pelicans Report

Thread: Crazy Talk

Crazy Talk

The Pelicans' 13-game losing streak should have removed the team from any discussion of the playoffs. Yet at 12-24, they are only three games out of the eighth seed, though they would have to leapfrog half a dozen teams to secure that spot. In their last eight games, the Pels are 6-2 (should have been 7-1, not losing to the Warriors). Looking at the remaining schedule, if the Pelicans won two out of every three games, it would take them to late March just to reach .500, but that should be enough to make the tournament. While winning two out of three games the rest of the way seems a tall task, the schedule isn't insurmountable and it should be extremely manageable in the last 15 games of the season. It is possible that the Pelicans won't play a team with a winning record, except Philadelphia and maybe Orlando, during the final 15 games.

Certainly, the likelihood that the Pelicans make the playoffs is still remote. But with some luck on the injury front, with the return/debut of Zion, with the improved play of several key players, there is a window for the optimists among us to hold out hope of getting that last spot. After that disastrous stretch, it would sure make a great story if the Pelicans challenged for a playoff spot, whether they actually get there or not.

It's not crazy. I've been saying it for over a month.

Here is an old look at how the SoS schedule was back then. It was inevitable.

To be fair, other people like Dae was preaching it, too. Mine was more in the "hold up on the Gentry hate, it's been a tough beginning" and the counter was more about "yes, we'll probably make the playoffs but it's because the schedule eases up, this does not absolve Gentry".

To me, sneaking into the 8th spot is just ok....a disappointment even. Getting into 6th or 7th would be my goal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1574984570639.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	6515
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Yeah, I think playoffs isn't impossible. It would require some slumping from the teams ahead of us (which is possible because several of those teams get more difficult schedules from hereon in) and also us really starting to put some consistent play together for more than a handful of games at a time, but it is still possible.

That's not because we're killing it: as everyone knows, we're well below .500. It's just because the bottom of the West seems to have fallen out this year.
    Basketball.

If you are only 3 games back of making the top 8 in early January, your chances are not remote. Not even close to remote. I believe the 2015 team made up a 4 game gap in the final two weeks to make the playoffs.

You're only 7.5 games out of seventh with 46 games left.

And that 13 game slump was never because of this team's talent. I said before the season this team has the talent to make the playoffs and I believe it even more now.

The Laker boys, Favors, and even Jaxson have all played above my expectations. Jrue and Redick are about where I thought. Zion was well above in pre-season, but we'll see when he plays for real.

The main thing holding this team back is a rash of injuries early and the poor job done by the guys in suits on the sidelines. All of them except Fred Vinson.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-05-2020 at 04:25 PM.

We really need to find a decent combo forward and offload a couple of these guards. At the very least a semi decent wing to backup Ingram and allow Hustle to be used for utility rather than necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    We really need to find a decent combo forward and offload a couple of these guards. At the very least a semi decent wing to backup Ingram and allow Hustle to be used for utility rather than necessity.
    Miller and Meli for Marus Morris?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Miller and Meli for Marus Morris?
    Not a bad shout. Curious to see if they woul want the extra years on Miller and Melli. I’d hope Griffin is at least looking in that direction.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 01-05-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Not a bad shout. Curious to see if they woul want the extra years on Miller and Melli. I’d hope Griffin is at least looking in that direction.
    Etwaun's contract is the main one to be shopped.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Etwaun's contract is the main one to be shopped.
    Agreed. He will have value for a contender somewhere.

They are also trying to shop Frank. That is the only logical explanation for his end of 2nd quarter minutes every game.

Btw, whats Didi been doing? That NBL website is weird to navigate.

Miller's 2nd year is a team option.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Miller's 2nd year is a team option.
    Makes sense. Wasn’t quite sure on the deets.

The Franchise
    I feel comfortable saying Zion is already a 20/10 guy at the least. Him returning to the court soon, puts us in contention for the playoffs. Even if we don't make a single move. Not saying we shouldn't. Just saying..

This might be an unpopular opinion but I think Zion returning allows Melli to be usable, at least offensively. The defense might be a dumpster fire, but the Zion-Melli two man game could be very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    This might be an unpopular opinion but I think Zion returning allows Melli to be usable, at least offensively. The defense might be a dumpster fire, but the Zion-Melli two man game could be very nice.
    Maybe in theory, but Zion returning also reduces the possibility of getting Melli on the floor much. Unless you want Gentry to go back to playing 12 guys every night.

No definitely not, but I think it allows Gentry to run big in certain matchups. He also will have the capability to get Ingram into more mismatches offensively. There's not many guards in the league who can contest Ingram's jumper at his release point, so if you can play him more at the 2-3, I think we'll see even more improvement in his shooting numbers.

Of course, I don't think Melli should be used in every matchup; but I think if there has to be minutes out of either Melli or Jah because someone is in foul trouble, I'd much prefer it to be Melli when Zion is on the floor.

Thread Information