Pelicans Report

Thread: Chris Paul would make us title contenders immediately

Chris Paul would make us title contenders immediately

To be clear when I say title contenders; I do not mean title favorites. Just that we would have a legitimate, realistic and reasonable chance to beat any team in a 7 game series.

Chris Paul is a future HOFer and arguably the best PG to ever play the game. Chris Paul is still a top 5 PG in this league. It could be argued that he has been the most impactful PG in the league this season. Leading the league with the most clutch points at 80, he has the OKC Thunder playing better than most expected.

What would make CP especially lethal for us, is that for the first time in his career, he could be the 4th scoring option. He has always been no less than the 2nd scoring option. With 3 weapons that could go out and get 20 every night in Jrue, Ingram and Zion. CP becomes very dangerous and hard to game plan for. He'll be able to pick his spots, get everyone great shots and take over in the clutch. He has also become very good off the ball, no longer having to dominate the ball to be highly effective.

Paul is the leader this team needs. He is vocal, he leads by example, and he will have this team ready to play every night. He would be great mentor and example for a young team like ours. His impact on our young guards like Ball and NAW would be immense. And really just the entire team.

Chris Paul to the Pelicans makes more sense than to any other team in the league. Because of our young talent on rookie deals, we have the cap space to absorb his contract for the next 3 years while remaining flexible. The 2020 free agency class is weak. And while we will miss out on the 2021 free agency class. If CP can help Ball, NAW, Ingram, Zion, Hayes, Jrue, Favors, Hart and Didi reach their full potential. We won't need to add any more big names anyway. Our future would be set. And we would be able to resign a 37 year old Chris Paul to be our 6th man at a team friendlier deal. The way CP plays the game, he could easily play at a high level into his early 40s if his minutes are managed properly.

Let's look at other teams Paul was rumored for. Milwaukee would have to trade Bledsoe(why would OKC want Bledsoe?) + a combination of 2 of Lopez, Hill or Ilyasova. This would hurt their depth and kill their flexibility. They would improve however. But why would OKC do it? Hill, Bledsoe, Lopez contracts are just as long and longer. So it wouldnt really be freeing up any cap space and they would still be a marginal team.

Miami could offer Dragic, Johnson, Herro and/or 1st. OKC would like this deal. But is CP and Butler really a championship combo? They would be a threat but not really a favorite. It would kill their flexibility and increase their luxury tax bill. I dont think Miami would make the move.

While we could offer Redick, Moore, Meli, Miller, Cleveland 1st and a 2nd for CP, Nader, and Muscala. This deal saves OKC $80M without factoring in luxury tax savings. It gets them some draft compensation. Redick would likely be able to be moved for a 1st and/or young player at the deadline or the summer. Moore could be moved for a couple 2nds. Or they could be great vets to keep around.

For us this is a great situation for CP and us. As stated before CP would be the 4th scoring option, making him even more dangerous. But we also have depth with Favors, Ball, Hayes, Hart, Kenrich, Okafor, Nader, Muscala. We would need Frank or NAW to step up and give us a good 10MPG which I believe one of them can do. This doesn't kill our flexibility going forward because we already have a big 4 or 5 with young players who will grow. We have Didi coming over next season, with plenty of draft picks over the next few seasons to fill our bench. We could resign Favors and Kenrich. If anything we may need to add a role player or 2 through Free agency.

CP/Ball/Frank
    Jrue/Hart/NAW
    Ingram/Nader
    Zion/Kenrich/Muscala
    Favors/Hayes/Okafor

This is a dangerous team going into the playoffs this season. Playoff CP and Jrue gives us a chance against anybody. Especially alongside Favors and the young guys that we have. Next season and going forward we would be considered favorites. CP contract would be well worth the price as a Pelican and something Griff should strongly consider.

Obligatory

You do realise that the Clevland first is top 10 protected right?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You do realise that the Clevland first is top 10 protected right?
    Yes I do. I would still lead with it. Were still saving OKC close to $80M. Making them worse to improve their draft stock and making them players in 2021 free agency. Teams usually have to give up 2 firsts for that kind of cap flexibility and savings. I factored that in when thinking to lead with the Cleveland 1st. Its still a better deal than anyone else can offer or is willing to offer.

I’m not going to say never, but this team would nunca do that to JJ Redick.

I would like to note it was Shamit not M.M. That leaked he could be on his way back here

https://www.pelicansreport.com/showt...-proposed-idea

******** CP3

I want to ask this because this really is a Lonzo Give up thread and I’m having 22 year old Jason Kidd de ja vu:

Let’s all say Zion, Ingram, Hayes, NAW become all what their potential is and what our expectations want them to be....

What is everyone’s expectations for our starting pointguard in that environment (a championship contending team)?

I ask this because I REALLY don’t think people understand what we have in Lonzo Ball.

First let me say this. It takes a gym rat and a special player to change their shot. It’s very rare. And to change it the first season and improve their 3 point shooting percentage is an unbelievable thing.

Secondly, if Lonzo ever became the player initially that LA drafted him to be, it would be a Lebron James/Nets Jason Kidd/Steve Nash/Chris Paul ball dominant offense ran by Lonzo where the other players limitations can be a direct result of Zo force feeding them actions. So then you have to go back to the first sentence in this post? What are your expectations for those players? I don’t know about the rest of you but my expectations for Zion is more than a Amare/Blake/Kenyon Martin. My expectations for Ingram in his prime is more than a Kerry Kittles or Keith Van Horn.

Third and last I’ll state this, Lonzo Ball to me is the Jason Kidd who progressed to be what 2010s Dallas version was. The mixture of the transition passing Kidd who became a spot up shooter. Take all the scoring point guards out of the equation. Damian, Kyrie, etc. - What pointguard are you guys visualizing to be around the potential of Zion and Ingram when they reach our expectations? Throw some names out there.
    Last edited by Wowowowow; 12-29-2019 at 10:56 AM.

I mostly agree with the OP, so I'm not going to write out too much in response. That said, I do think there are a few spots where I don't quite agree.

- You talk about Miami, and you say
    But is CP and Butler really a championship combo? They would be a threat but not really a favorite.
    This is part of your reasoning as to why Miami might not be interested. But you miss out the existence of Bam Adebayo, who has been fantastic so far this year and has a game which I think will translate easily into a playoff environment. Adding CP3 to Bam would instantly create a viciously dynamic PnR pairing, including with regards to defending the PnR, which is the kind of thing Spoelstra could work miracles with. We also know that Miami has general interest in CP3, since they were apparently trying to acquire him in the summer anyway. In general, Miami doesn't really seem to care about the luxury tax if they thought it gave them a chance of winning, and CP3 + Butler + Bam is a very strong ''big 3''; not the best in the league or anything, but they're all top 30 players. Given 7 games against any team in the East, I don't see why they wouldn't have a plausible shot at the finals, even if they weren't favourites.

-
    While we could offer Redick, Moore, Meli, Miller, Cleveland 1st and a 2nd for CP, Nader, and Muscala. This deal saves OKC $80M without factoring in luxury tax savings. It gets them some draft compensation
    This a bad trade proposal, imo. Giving up both Redick and Moore would greatly deplete our shooting ability as a team, which is something that will become more important as Zion returns and starts needing space to operate in the paint as a driver. Redick's been very good for us so far this season, and his utility and value will only increase when Zion comes back: moving him is something I would be very very reluctant to do.

Secondly, why on Earth would we include 2 draft picks? Like you said: this deal saves OKC massively in terms of luxury tax and future flexibility. That is their reward for this trade, if they're interested in making it. You don't include extra assets to the team that's getting the flexibility; if anything, we should be asking for a pick (not their pick, but possibly one of the future Clippers picks?) to justify us giving them that massive tax break and flexibility.

Aside from this, I pretty much agree. I don't think CP3 would make us title contenders, but I do think he would make us a better team, I do think he would provide more structure to an offense that kinda needs some structure and consistency, I do think he would benefit much of the youth in terms of development, and I do think he is a leader that would help us in tougher spots.

I also agree that he's arguably the best PG to ever play the game. I don't know if I'd give him that spot personally, there's some tough competition, but he's unquestionably top 5.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    I want to ask this because this really is a Lonzo Give up thread and I’m having 22 year old Jason Kidd de ja vu:

Let’s all say Zion, Ingram, Hayes, NAW become all what their potential is and what our expectations want them to be....

What is everyone’s expectations for our starting pointguard in that environment (a championship contending team)?

I ask this because I REALLY don’t think people understand what we have in Lonzo Ball.

First let me say this. It takes a gym rat and a special player to change their shot. It’s very rare. And to change it the first season and improve their 3 point shooting percentage is an unbelievable thing.

Secondly, if Lonzo ever became the player initially that LA drafted him to be, it would be a Lebron James/Nets Jason Kidd/Steve Nash/Chris Paul ball dominant offense ran by Lonzo where the other players limitations can be a direct result of Zo force feeding them actions. So then you have to go back to the first sentence in this post? What are your expectations for those players? I don’t know about the rest of you but my expectations for Zion is more than a Amare/Blake/Kenyon Martin. My expectations for Ingram in his prime is more than a Kerry Kittles or Keith Van Horn.

Third and last I’ll state this, Lonzo Ball to me is the Jason Kidd who progressed to be what 2010s Dallas version was. The mixture of the transition passing Kidd who became a spot up shooter. Take all the scoring point guards out of the equation. Damian, Kyrie, etc. - What pointguard are you guys visualizing to be around the potential of Zion and Ingram when they reach our expectations? Throw some names out there.
    Oh no this is not a give up on Lonzo thread. This is a get someone in here that can accelerate Lonzo's growth thread. Who better to learn from than Chris Paul? High IQ, vocal, watches alot of film. I fully expect Lonzo to take the starting position either sometime next year or the year after.

I think Lonzo is the perfect PG for this team. I do see what you're saying, his numbers would be better if he ran his own team but that doesn't mean he has to be ball dominant to maximize his talent. I see Lonzo as more of a Draymond. Can make quick reads and play off the ball. A swiss army knife defensively. He could average 12-15 ppg and 10-12 apg on this team by just playing in the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mostly agree with the OP, so I'm not going to write out too much in response. That said, I do think there are a few spots where I don't quite agree.

- You talk about Miami, and you say

This is part of your reasoning as to why Miami might not be interested. But you miss out the existence of Bam Adebayo, who has been fantastic so far this year and has a game which I think will translate easily into a playoff environment. Adding CP3 to Bam would instantly create a viciously dynamic PnR pairing, including with regards to defending the PnR, which is the kind of thing Spoelstra could work miracles with. We also know that Miami has general interest in CP3, since they were apparently trying to acquire him in the summer anyway. In general, Miami doesn't really seem to care about the luxury tax if they thought it gave them a chance of winning, and CP3 + Butler + Bam is a very strong ''big 3''; not the best in the league or anything, but they're all top 30 players. Given 7 games against any team in the East, I don't see why they wouldn't have a plausible shot at the finals, even if they weren't favourites.

-
    This a bad trade proposal, imo. Giving up both Redick and Moore would greatly deplete our shooting ability as a team, which is something that will become more important as Zion returns and starts needing space to operate in the paint as a driver. Redick's been very good for us so far this season, and his utility and value will only increase when Zion comes back: moving him is something I would be very very reluctant to do.

Secondly, why on Earth would we include 2 draft picks? Like you said: this deal saves OKC massively in terms of luxury tax and future flexibility. That is their reward for this trade, if they're interested in making it. You don't include extra assets to the team that's getting the flexibility; if anything, we should be asking for a pick (not their pick, but possibly one of the future Clippers picks?) to justify us giving them that massive tax break and flexibility.

Aside from this, I pretty much agree. I don't think CP3 would make us title contenders, but I do think he would make us a better team, I do think he would provide more structure to an offense that kinda needs some structure and consistency, I do think he would benefit much of the youth in terms of development, and I do think he is a leader that would help us in tougher spots.

I also agree that he's arguably the best PG to ever play the game. I don't know if I'd give him that spot personally, there's some tough competition, but he's unquestionably top 5.
    I thought about Bam Adebayo and while he does make a difference. I dont see them as better than Philly or Milwaukee. I also see CP having to play 35 mpg for them to be contender and be a 2nd scoring option which could shorten his career by putting a heavier load. Miami could make the deal however. I wouldn't rule it out.

I do agree we lose a lot of shooting with Redick and Moore. I played with it to see if there is another combination of players we could trade to make salaries work and there wasn't any. Without giving up Favors or any of our young guys. So I had to weigh the trade and see if it's worth it. And it came down to is Redick and Moore combined better than Chris Paul? I couldn't say that they were. While Redick shooting is amazing and his ability to create is drastically underrated, he doesn't bring the complete package that Chris Paul brings. CP is a great shooter in his own right and is at least at good as Moore from deep. Nader is making 1.1 3pg at a 40% clip. He brings shooting as well. Muscala is probably a better version than Meli.

We do lose out on Redick and that will hurt. But CP on this team can have the same effects as Steve Nash returning to Phoenix. It's hard to pass that up.

Also, I agree I didnt want to include the 1st. We are giving them major savings. I just didnt want it to seem like I was low balling. And since the Cleveland 1st will likely be 2 seconds. I didnt mind throwing it in. But the picks can be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Oh no this is not a give up on Lonzo thread. This is a get someone in here that can accelerate Lonzo's growth thread. Who better to learn from than Chris Paul? High IQ, vocal, watches alot of film. I fully expect Lonzo to take the starting position either sometime next year or the year after.

I think Lonzo is the perfect PG for this team. I do see what you're saying, his numbers would be better if he ran his own team but that doesn't mean he has to be ball dominant to maximize his talent. I see Lonzo as more of a Draymond. Can make quick reads and play off the ball. A swiss army knife defensively. He could average 12-15 ppg and 10-12 apg on this team by just playing in the offense.
    Oh then we are thinking on the same page then.

I sincerely think it would be a bad move to not allow Zo to turn into what I think he will be for the potential of this team - as his potential in that setting is exactly what we would need and how you described it, a Swiss Army knife.

Kyle Lowry today is considered the standard for a “championship pointguard”.

We should not give up on Lonzo at 22.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I've gotten over the CP drama. He was in a dreadful situation when he was here and still managed to handle it infinitely better than AD.

I'd welcome him with open arms, but it's probably not happening.

Yeah good point actually, I wasn't a basketball fan back when the CP3 stuff went down so honestly that doesn't impact me emotionally. I can respect that others very possibly would not want him back for those emotional reasons.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    WHat we just went through last year made me MUCH more amenable to CP3's exit. He handled it with mercy and grace compared to the unibrow'd weakling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    WHat we just went through last year made me MUCH more amenable to CP3's exit. He handled it with mercy and grace compared to the unibrow'd weakling.
    In fairness it's difficult to imagine doing it much worse than AD

Thread Information