Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: The 2020 NBA trade machine thread!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It is a terrible idea. These guys are just trying to justify a ridiculous trade that Fletch (again) threw out. There is no good reason to take on that salary of a declining injury prone player. Hard pass.
    IDK, it's not like Shamit is constantly tripping over himself to justify Fletch's stupid trades. He usually just dismisses them as much as anyone else does. Not sure why you'd go into something assuming that's their motive when it's not something they have a track record of.

As for the reasons, obviously you can feel free to disagree, but I feel like I've detailed a few reasons that you could at least make an argument with.
    Basketball.

The Franchise
    How much do you think it would take to get Winslow? He’s a Duke boy who’s not been playing due to injuries but if Aaron can do some magic, we could get a good bench player.

I’m also a Culver fan so wonder how much to get him as well or if even possible. To me it would have to be in a 3 way hopefully with Golden State.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    IDK, it's not like Shamit is constantly tripping over himself to justify Fletch's stupid trades. He usually just dismisses them as much as anyone else does. Not sure why you'd go into something assuming that's their motive when it's not something they have a track record of.

As for the reasons, obviously you can feel free to disagree, but I feel like I've detailed a few reasons that you could at least make an argument with.
    Reading his tweets, he had to talk himself into it when Fletch proposed it. Now, he is on his pod supporting it. I don't get the feel he is really behind the deal, but moreso for entertainment purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Reading his tweets, he had to talk himself into it when Fletch proposed it. Now, he is on his pod supporting it. I don't get the feel he is really behind the deal, but moreso for entertainment purposes.
    Fair enough. I don't think it's a likely trade to happen anyway (although not impossible, given Love's desire to get out of CLE and his existing relationship with Griff), because of the size of the contracts involved; I don't see us as being likely to make such large moves.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    How much do you think it would take to get Winslow?
    He's the guy I've been eyeing since the summer. There was a ton of smoke this summer that Griff was trying to get Winslow, and I wouldn't be surprised if he still is. He fits the mold of what Griff seems to covet, which is length with ball handling ability. Winslow can play SF and PF defensively while handing some ball handling duties on the offensive end.

The Heat are one of a few teams who I'd be willing to bet have put in a few calls for Moore. While Moore isn't special defensively, he's far better than Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson at this point in their careers. If they want to make a run in the playoffs, Moore would make a lot of sense for them.

Trade I'd propose is something like Moore, Jah, and the Cavs "1st" for Winslow. This gets them off of Winslow's contract so they can try to land another big fish in FA while also giving them a guy in Moore who could be helpful in the playoffs. I can't see any way in which the Pels use the Cavs 2nd round picks so it makes sense to get something for them now.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=rl42gtb

Additionally, the Thunder get their 1st round pick this year back from the 76ers.

Pels get a big that fits better with Zion and Jaxson, as well as the vet presence that they've been looking for. Thunder get some value back for Gallo before they lose him in FA. The 76ers go all in on winning this year, getting Gallo who fits better with their roster and Favors as Embiid insurance.

Edit: I think I like this deal a lot more if you send Kormaz to the Pels and Scott to the Thunder.
    Last edited by pelafanatic; 01-28-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post

Additionally, the Thunder get their 1st round pick this year back from the 76ers.

Pels get a big that fits better with Zion and Jaxson, as well as the vet presence that they've been looking for. Thunder get some value back for Gallo before they lose him in FA. The 76ers go all in on winning this year, getting Gallo who fits better with their roster and Favors as Embiid insurance.

Edit: I think I like this deal a lot more if you send Kormaz to the Pels and Scott to the Thunder.

i want mike scott as a backup PF but no way im taking horford and his contract.......this team need favors and i think that have been proven.......

we should move okafor.. moore or miller for a stretch 5 to backup favors to fit zion post up game....

Absolutely not interested. Horford is 33 and his deal takes him through until he's 37. When he was potentially available on the market, a large portion of the fanbase wanted him but we also had the same caveat: we want him, but we're not giving him that 4th year.

So why would we want to turn around and accept him with that 4th year attached? Especially when he's playing worse than he was last year.

I think I agree with you but I’m not as firmly on that side. Horford contract actually decreases over the course of the 4 years. I still think the current Horford is a much better fit long term with Zion and Jax than Favors is. It’s impossible to predict what other bigs may become available to us in the future, but for the next 2-3 years I really love what Horford could do for our offense.

Additionally, we have the assets to move off Horford pretty easily in the future if necessary. That contract in 3 years could be the piece necessary to land a big star. At the surface a move for Horford is worrisome, but I think when you dig a little bit deeper it’s more intriguing in some ways. I’m currently trying to decide if I’d prefer a move for Horford or Love, and preparing myself for one of those guys just in case.

I think what Favors has brought to this team is as much about what replacement level was with Jax, Jah, Melli as it was anything Favors was doing on the court. His defense and finishing ability are valuable, but he’s by no means a perfect fit with these guys in the future.

I think I agree with you but I’m not as firmly on that side. Horford contract actually decreases over the course of the 4 years. I still think the current Horford is a much better fit long term with Zion and Jax than Favors is. It’s impossible to predict what other bigs may become available to us in the future, but for the next 2-3 years I really love what Horford could do for our offense.

Additionally, we have the assets to move off Horford pretty easily in the future if necessary. That contract in 3 years could be the piece necessary to land a big star. At the surface a move for Horford is worrisome, but I think when you dig a little bit deeper it’s more intriguing in some ways. I’m currently trying to decide if I’d prefer a move for Horford or Love, and preparing myself for one of those guys just in case.
    I feel like Love would be better for a handful of reasons; firstly, his contract is a year shorter, secondly, he's 3 years younger, and thirdly, he's a far better shooter.

That said, I don't feel like your logic quite works. We have the assets to move off Horford easily, but that assumes that we'd still have them (we may not, we may have used them elsewhere) or that we'd want to give them up for the sake of moving off a terrible contract. I also don't think it would work as a piece in a trade to ''land a big star'', because if you're bringing back a star they usually want assets in return, not taking your salary dump. It would probably have to involve a third team, which would be likely to cost us more in the way of assets.

I'm not saying it would be a terrible deal in the short term; you're right that Horford would probably be a good addition for the next 2 years or so, but walking into any situation where you know that you're either going to have to eat $27m for a 37 year old who isn't even playing that well aged 33, or you're going to have to shell out assets to avoid doing so, is a sketchy call imo.

And before someone inevitably says ''oh but Dae, you wanted to trade for CP3, he'd be getting paid even more than that at age 37!'' Yeah and CP3 is still one of the 20 best players in the NBA.

The Franchise
    I’d like culver. Maybe we can get in a deal with the wolves. I’d give up a first for him next year especially in this weaker draft. http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qp2v6nt

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    Here's one bound to infuriate everyone.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=u6s5c4p
    This is a great deal for the Pelicans and improves the team greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    Kings aren't trading Fox. He's their only hope for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’d like culver. Maybe we can get in a deal with the wolves. I’d give up a first for him next year especially in this weaker draft. http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qp2v6nt
    Golden State wants to get out of the repeat luxury tax in the worst of ways. Wolves unlikely do that deal since Wiggins absolutely has to be moved otherwise the Wolves have 1 max and 2 others near max salary without any ability to sign FA's at all.

https://tradenba.com/trades/iKLanVUKU

Here's a trade I would do in a heartbeat, which makes me think the Suns may not consider it. I'm not sure what they're looking for with Oubre, but this would free their books while basically getting 3 fairly valuable picks. Etwaun is also a player they could consider keeping around to mentor their youth.

For the Pels, they pick up a much needed forward, and a player that could fit perfectly in a 5 man finishing rotation of Zo-Jrue-Oubre-BI-Zion.

The one worry for me in an Oubre trade, or any trade for that matter, is providing another team with the ammunition it takes to trade for a superstar. The Pels are in a position right now to outbid any team in the league. If they start firing away first round picks for depth players, that situation could change very quickly.

I mostly like it, but I'm.not a big fan of giving away multiple firsts in trades for bench role players. I know the Cleveland first is a fake, and really it's two seconds, but 2021 is going to be a great draft and I'd be hesitant to move any pick from that year.

With the glut of guards on the team, I would make a move to bolster the front court (a big backup with range). To that end I say......

Chris Wood and Langston Galloway (filler) for E'Twaun Moore and a # 2.

I wonder what it would take to pry Lauri Markkanen away from the Bulls?

He'd be nice next to Zion, Ball and BI.

Not sure about his defence though.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I wonder what it would take to pry Lauri Markkanen away from the Bulls?

He'd be nice next to Zion, Ball and BI.

Not sure about his defence though.
    His defense is pretty rough, and from what I've seen of the Bulls and heard from Bulls guys, his offense hasn't been hot this year either Part of that seems to come from general unhappiness with the Bulls organisation and how they're using him, but the numbers still aren't pretty.

His rookie year, Markkanen put up 15/7.5/1.2 on 43/36/84. His second year, 18/9/1.4 on 43/36/87. This year, 15/6/1.5 on 42/34/82. So there has been a slight decline in the raw box score stats, and when you combine that with his injury history (he's currently out 6 weeks with a pelvis fracture, played 68 games rookie year, 52 games sophomore year) I'd be very sceptical about paying any real price for him.

Could benefit from a change of scenery; God knows the Bulls organisation sucks and their coach is awful, but the lack of statistical improvement combined with the negative reports from Bulls fans who I trust make me view him with a little bit of doubt.

Thread Information