Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The 2020 NBA trade machine thread!

Reportedly, Sixers interested in Moore. Not sure what they have that would make it worthwhile for Pelicans-

The Sixers have expressed interest in a long list of wings, including Malik Beasley (Nuggets), Glenn Robinson III (Warriors), Davis Bertans (Wizards), E’Twaun Moore (Pelicans), and Andre Iguodala (Grizzlies), according to multiple league sources.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/1...iid-chris-paul

I actually like Moore. A lot. But considering we have a log jam of young talent that needs to see the floor and it's possible Zion getting SF min will mean JJ needs more SG min.....making it an even bigger log jam.....anything we can get is good.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Reportedly, Sixers interested in Moore. Not sure what they have that would make it worthwhile for Pelicans-
    i ll take scott from the 76ers to back up zion for 2 years and trade moore but the dollars dont match...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i ll take scott from the 76ers to back up zion for 2 years and trade moore but the dollars dont match...
    Scott and Smith works, but that is not enough for me.

Scott and Smith works, but that is not enough for me.
    https://tradenba.com/trades/rLDwV2djm ?

Just messing around a little, wouldn't hate this but it's certainly not a perfect trade.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Just messing around a little, wouldn't hate this but it's certainly not a perfect trade.

there you go....smith can back up zion and play the 4 with zion at the 5....

thybulle may can give us something and also young to go with the rest of our core...

and the pick can help also..

ill take it..

That'd be a definite no go for the Sixers. They value Thybulle way higher than that. He has been special defensively and has been connecting shooting the basketball too, albeit not on high usage. I don't even know if they'd do that trade if we threw in our 2020 first---I don't think there's a player in that draft they'd value more than Thybulle for where they are in their process.

Scott and Smith I think they'd consider, and that value seems about right. A flier on an athletic freak in Smith and a more legitimate stretch 4 in Scott seems reasonable for Moore. I'd want them to take Frank (or Jah), too, so that we wouldn't have to cut an additional player, and the change in scenery might help him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    That'd be a definite no go for the Sixers. They value Thybulle way higher than that. He has been special defensively and has been connecting shooting the basketball too, albeit not on high usage. I don't even know if they'd do that trade if we threw in our 2020 first---I don't think there's a player in that draft they'd value more than Thybulle for where they are in their process.

Scott and Smith I think they'd consider, and that value seems about right. A flier on an athletic freak in Smith and a more legitimate stretch 4 in Scott seems reasonable for Moore. I'd want them to take Frank (or Jah), too, so that we wouldn't have to cut an additional player, and the change in scenery might help him too.
    Oh yeah, I agree. I don't think they'd do it. The reasons I like Thybulle are basically all of the reasons you said they wouldn't move him

I'm not particularly interested in Smith at all, that's my issue. Moore has limited value given his age and his contract situation, but he does hold some value as a legitimately skilled shooter which the Sixers desperately need. If I'm moving Moore to the Sixers, I want something back that I'm at least interested in. Smith isn't one of those people, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post

Smith looks like a player that will not make it in the NBA. He is struggling in the G league.

Smith looks like a player that will not make it in the NBA. He is struggling in the G league.
    Yeah, he probably won't. I think there's a better chance he makes it than a random 2nd rounder for a team with a trillion 2nd round picks over the next few years. If we're moving Moore, an okay second round pick or a flier on an interesting but not valuable young player is the realistic value. I think for locker room reasons it might be better just to let it play out with Moore. He has been a real professional this year in a tough situation, and has definitely contributed to winning basketball. If I'm moving him, it's more that I think Nickeil can be really good with more minutes than a belief that I'm getting some great value back.

That 1st, even though the pick wouldn't be high, would be a nice asset to package for a deal. Like we talked about earlier with the KAT stuff, to net him or someone slightly lesser would take quite a few first rounders. Having another one in our pocket could help a big move.

I can't believe I'm saying this. Other people have suggested it in the past, and I've refused it as being a terrible idea. Maybe it still is a terrible idea. But Shamit and Mason were discussing the possibility of a trade something like this on the In the N.O. pod, and after hearing their justification for it I can't help but feel like it might be a potentially okay idea. Here's the trade:

https://tradenba.com/trades/rL752MK7z

The picks are essentially there for two reasons. The first is just a utility move; we have too many picks this year, we are such a young team we can't really afford to draft so many young players, so either we'll be trading 2nd rounders to move up in the draft for only a single guy, or we'll be using them as sweetener in trades like this one. The second reason is that we'd also be getting back some 2nd rounders, but only future ones. That sort of acts like us keeping the picks but just shuffling them along a few years, to give us more time to use them in a better way if a better way comes up.

As for the trade itself, it's basically the one Shamit proposed on the pod. If you've listened to the pod, you'll already know their logic for it and why they think it works, and for some reason I just feel like they might be right. I still have big issues with it, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea or if I've just gone nuts, but there it is.

I can't believe I'm saying this. Other people have suggested it in the past, and I've refused it as being a terrible idea. Maybe it still is a terrible idea. But Shamit and Mason were discussing the possibility of a trade something like this on the In the N.O. pod, and after hearing their justification for it I can't help but feel like it might be a potentially okay idea. Here's the trade:

The picks are essentially there for two reasons. The first is just a utility move; we have too many picks this year, we are such a young team we can't really afford to draft so many young players, so either we'll be trading 2nd rounders to move up in the draft for only a single guy, or we'll be using them as sweetener in trades like this one. The second reason is that we'd also be getting back some 2nd rounders, but only future ones. That sort of acts like us keeping the picks but just shuffling them along a few years, to give us more time to use them in a better way if a better way comes up.

As for the trade itself, it's basically the one Shamit proposed on the pod. If you've listened to the pod, you'll already know their logic for it and why they think it works, and for some reason I just feel like they might be right. I still have big issues with it, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea or if I've just gone nuts, but there it is.
    No thanks.
    The guy averages 65 games a year and is declining.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    No thanks.
    The guy averages 65 games a year and is declining.
    What I wonder is how much of his decline is due to actual decline and how much is due to the fact that 2 years ago he was playing with Lebron James and being fed a constant variety of good looks as the 2nd option, and is now being asked to be the lead scorer on a team being led by two point guards who don't seem to know what the word ''pass'' means?

In any case, Love is still a strong rebounder which we desperately need, and provides a better offensive fit than Favors does given that he's a very solid shooter and can stretch the floor. He's a poor defender, unlike Favors, but we have enough quality defenders on the team that we should be able to cover for it. Obviously whether we actually can cover for it in practice is a different issue, but we're a garbage defensive team anyway even with Favors so it's unlikely that Love would make it much worse.

Also unlike Favors, Love could actually play with both Zion and Jax. Favors you obviously can't play alongside Jax, because neither of them can shoot and both of them do their best offense on the roll/dive; the paint would be ridiculously crammed, and it would force Favors into guarding down because Jax right now needs time to develop as a switchable defender. Love doesn't have that problem: he can just play PF and be a stretch 4 alongside either Zion or Jax, and he can also fill centre minutes if you want to see Zion at PF.

The concerns to me are these:
    1) You mentioned it: durability. He's injured a lot. He's actually been relatively healthy so far this year, but historically he's very inclined to miss games. Shamit pointed out on the pod though that at some point you have to see what your training staff can actually do, and if anyone was a candidate for the patented Aaron Nelson ''he extended my career by years!'' treatment, Love might be it.
    2) Price. Big contract, several years. On the one hand, there's the possibility that by the final year he might be a tradeable asset depending on what else is going on, but on the other hand, it's still a massive contract. The bonus is that even without Love, given Ingram's upcoming max contract, it's likely that we'd be operating as an above-the-cap team in two or three years anyway, so it's not like we'd have big money to spend. The only way to acquire new talent is through trades in that scenario (well, or the draft) so I'm not massively worried about the money.

The Franchise
    I wouldn’t mind but I’d like to keep Favors. Plus it doesn’t fix our backup SF spot. He’d definitely help with rebounding and would spread the court. Him and Zion to close games would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I wouldn’t mind but I’d like to keep Favors. Plus it doesn’t fix our backup SF spot. He’d definitely help with rebounding and would spread the court. Him and Zion to close games would be awesome.
    The issue is that you can't match salaries without moving Favors, and given that Favors probably doesn't have a future with this team because of the limitations of his offensive game and Zions quick adoption of centre minutes, it's better to get something for him than to let him walk.

The Franchise
    The issue is that you can't match salaries without moving Favors, and given that Favors probably doesn't have a future with this team because of the limitations of his offensive game and Zions quick adoption of centre minutes, it's better to get something for him than to let him walk.
    You could but have to dump all the cheap contracts, Moore, Miller, Melli, oak, and Frank. Prob have to include another team that’s maybe trying to get out of the tax because they couldn’t take all them players. I understand you could lose Favors next year but you could also resign him and maybe for a lesser price depending on how much bigs end up going for. They’re getting cheaper and cheaper.

If your core is Jrue/Lonzo, Ingram, Zion, JJ, Hart, and Love, I think Favors would want to be apart of that team. I think one of Jrue or Lonzo goes this offseason which could net us more assets/players.

If I had a choice I’d go after Winslow and hope to get him on the cheap cause he’s been injury prone but it fixes the backup PF/sf spot.

You could but have to dump all the cheap contracts, Moore, Miller, Melli, oak, and Frank. Prob have to include another team that’s maybe trying to get out of the tax because they couldn’t take all them players. I understand you could lose Favors next year but you could also resign him and maybe for a lesser price depending on how much bigs end up going for. They’re getting cheaper and cheaper.

If your core is Jrue/Lonzo, Ingram, Zion, JJ, Hart, and Love, I think Favors would want to be apart of that team. I think one of Jrue or Lonzo goes this offseason which could net us more assets/players.

If I had a choice I’d go after Winslow and hope to get him on the cheap cause he’s been injury prone but it fixes the backup PF/sf spot.
    Yeah but then you have Favors, Love, Jax, and Zion all battlign for minutes at the 5.

You know Zion's going to get around 10 minutes a night at the 5. That's how it's been going so far, and he's been fantastic in those minutes; and better, the team has been producing well in those minutes. He will continue getting centre minutes.

Then say, next year, you're going to want to keep feeding Jax 20-25 minutes a night as he develops: after all, he's the future of our C position.

So that leaves you with 13-18 minutes a night left over for Centres. You think Favors is going to take a probable pay cut to stay here and get 15 minutes a game behind Jax? No way, imo. He's going to want out, so why would you offload all of your tradeable contracts (who, by the way, still don't add up to Love's deal: Miller + Moore + Melli + Okafor + Frank is still over $5m short of matching Love's deal) in order to keep a guy who you're only really going to be playing as a backup and overpay him for that role?

It makes more sense to have Love there because he can fill those 13-18 minutes at centre, but still get other minutes at Power Forward, and he can play alongside Jax or Zion, whereas Favors can't really.

I don't think Jrue or Lonzo are going tbh. Jrue, for all he's had a rough season (no doubt about that) has a lot of extra ''sentimental'' value, and tbh it's hard to believe he'll be this poor again next year. Similarly, while Lonzo hasn't been that great overall this year, he's younger and we have another full year on his deal to evaluate him, so I can't see us being desperate to ship him off. If the right deal came along, sure, but he's not going to be first choice tradebait, just like Jrue won't be. If the FO is choosing between Jrue and Favors, they're going to let Favors go, from what I can tell. And I think that's the right choice.

The Franchise
    This would be a trade I’d love to happen. http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=uutfwu8

Send a couple seconds and Moore to Miami for Winslow, plus it’ll help their cap a little bit
    Send Wolves a 1st and couple seconds for culver and diop which they could send to the warriors for Russell
    Warriors get Covington, expirings, and a lot of picks.

Individually it looks bad but as a whole it’s good. Minny wants Russell, Miami wants a wing, warriors want pieces for around clay and curry, I want young players to build around. I don’t mind giving next years pick because there is nothing that I really want in that draft.

The Franchise
    I don’t think your taking into account games missed by injuries especially from Love. Also over the next 2 years if we make the playoffs do you think Hayes even gets minutes? Favors with Love, Hayes, and Zion is to me perfect complimentary players. Play love and Favors together and Zion and Hayes together. The final minutes of the game would be love and Zion which is still small ball but decent size and not completely undersized.

I don’t think your taking into account games missed by injuries especially from Love. Also over the next 2 years if we make the playoffs do you think Hayes even gets minutes? Favors with Love, Hayes, and Zion is to me perfect complimentary players. Play love and Favors together and Zion and Hayes together. The final minutes of the game would be love and Zion which is still small ball but decent size and not completely undersized.
    Absolutely. We're in this for the long game, not the quick game. I'd much rather play Hayes minutes next season and continue his development than roadblock him and shove him on the sidelines in the hopes for the playoffs. You develop your youth and you play them, or else you suddenly fall off the cliff when the vets age out/leave and you're left with a bunch of not-actually-that-young guys who have no experience. I prioritise giving Hayes minutes next year over Favors, unquestionably.

Like I said, there are 48 minutes total at centre. Say Zion gets 10 of them, which he absolutely should: small ball 5 is totally something he should be used in, and it's clear the FO/coaching staff agrees because they're already doing it now. So you only have 38 left. Now we've already established that I'm prioritising development for the future, so Hayes gets 20 or 25 of them. Let's say 25. Now you only have 13 minutes. Favors can only play centre. Are you really paying Favors whatever it would take to keep him to play 13 minutes a game? No way.

And that's even assuming you could get Love while keeping Favors, which you almost certainly couldn't without giving up Redick, which would actually negate the shooting/spacing added by Love.

Edit: as for injuries regarding Love, I am completely factoring them in. The reality is that Favors hasn't exactly been the picture of health here in New Orleans himself, and while Love absolutely has health issues, we also have Aaron Nelson. Nelson is renowned for extending guys careers. Can he do it with Love? No idea, but I'm in favour of giving it a go.

If it was my choice I would tell Clev, we want two trades; Moore for Exum, and Miller with Favors for Love. Each of the trades would have a second round swap like the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    If it was my choice I would tell Clev, we want two trades; Moore for Exum, and Miller with Favors for Love. Each of the trades would have a second round swap like the original.
    That would be cool, although I'm not that hot on Exum. What draws you into wanting him?

That would be cool, although I'm not that hot on Exum. What draws you into wanting him?
    Another PG with size, still young, good third option.

It is a terrible idea. These guys are just trying to justify a ridiculous trade that Fletch (again) threw out. There is no good reason to take on that salary of a declining injury prone player. Hard pass.

Thread Information