Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The 2020 NBA trade machine thread!

Yeah. I don't dabble with the trade stuff much because I have never quite grasped the values of expiring contracts, etc. I am used to the NFL where it feels just a little more straight up "you want this player, they are worth this _____".

And then when a trade does actually happen in the NBA, they usually look more lopsided towards one team over the other way more than I would have ever predicted.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Basketball Guru
    if the front office is going with gentry for next season then you trade okafor for a stretch big that can play against big centers and can start if favors cant play....zion,,favors and hayes are not going to be enough at the 4 and 5....

maybe its me but since lonzo has been playing more and holding down the point,,jrue has looked real comfortable at off guard and playing better lately with lonzo making the decisions at the point....i believe it kills jrue game when he has to run the point so i dont want him to do it and just be selfish at off guard by scoring.....so i think we need a vet that gentry will trust to backup lonzo so those 2 can handle point duty...

gentry dont trust naw and okafor plays against big centers..so to me thats our weak spots on this team so if we can fill those 2 spots by moving okafor and miller and keeping everyone else then i believe we can win a playoff round with that depth at those 2 positions....

Think Bulls would this trade with a couple 2nds included? A first? Not at all?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nba trade.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	6514

I think the Bulls are a good candidate for our trade partner but I'm thinking they'll want more assets to grow on plus.....

If I did my math rigth, we have 9 or 10 first round picks and 12 or 14 second rounders in the next seven drafts depending on where Cleveland lands this year......that's a ton. I certainly don't want to just give the picks away. But we have a lot to work with.

Right now it looks like Cleveland will keep their 1st......so nine 1st rounders and fourteen 2nds. Is that right?
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-01-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I think the Bulls are a good candidate for our trade partner but I'm thinking they'll want more assets to grow on plus.....

If I did my math rigth, we have 9 or 10 first round picks and 12 or 14 second rounders in the next seven drafts depending on where Cleveland lands this year......that's a ton. I certainly don't want to just give the picks away. But we have a lot to work with.

Right now it looks like Cleveland will keep their 1st......so nine 1st rounders and fourteen 2nds. Is that right?
    yeah 9 looks about right with cleveland unlikely to convey this season at this point (so turns into 2 x 2nds the following 2 seasons). I count 12 or 13 2nds depending on where ours falls in 2023.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Some think KAT is ready to leave Minny. Is that a running we want to get in?

That would be so cool...but expensive.

This is what a T-Wolves beat writer thinks they'll get: https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2019/1...de-offers/amp/

Now that's biased....but D Russel and three 1sts, Randle/Morris and SIX 1st, or SGA/S Adams and three 1sts.

Wow. I guess he is a talent with four years left on his contract....but just wow. Is that realistic?

So going off of just that, to compete we would have to go with, what, Hayes/Jah/Moore and four 1sts? Possibly even NAW.

But we WOULD be trotting out:

Ball
    Jrue
    Ingram
    Zion
    KAT
    With a bench of JJ, Favors, Hart, K Hustle......to me that is title contending. And we would still have five 1sts over the next 7 years.

Or is that how we lose Jrue?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Some think KAT is ready to leave Minny. Is that a running we want to get in?
    Depends what their asking price is. It's got to be high, he's still got years and years left on his deal. If I'm Griff, I'm definitely looking into it, KAT is a top 20 player and his ability to space the floor would be invaluable next to Zion, but it's also not something I'd want to go overboard.

As MSU said, if they want D Russell + 3 1sts then from us, that pretty much maps onto Jrue + 3 1sts, and that's a little rich for my tastes.

Edit: I should also add that I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota asked for Zion in any KAT trade, and if they did I would immediately hang up.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 01-01-2020 at 08:34 PM.
    Basketball.

Here's what Bleacher Report thinks KAT would net....

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...towns.amp.html

Timberwolves Receive: PF John Collins, SF Cam Reddish, SG Kevin Huerter, SG Allen Crabbe, 2020 first-round pick (lottery-protected via Brooklyn Nets), 2022 1st-round pick (lottery-protected via Oklahoma City Thunder)

Hawks Receive: C Karl-Anthony Towns

Timberwolves Receive: F Jayson Tatum, F Gordon Hayward, SG Carsen Edwards, C Robert Williams III, 2020 first-round pick (lottery-protected)

Celtics Receive: C Karl-Anthony Towns, C Gorgui Dieng

Timberwolves Receive: PG Spencer Dinwiddie, SF Caris LeVert, C Jarrett Allen, SG Joe Harris, 2020 1st-round pick (lottery-protected via Philadelphia 76ers)

Nets Receive: Karl-Anthony Towns

Here's what Bleacher Report thinks KAT would net....

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...towns.amp.html

Timberwolves Receive: PF John Collins, SF Cam Reddish, SG Kevin Huerter, SG Allen Crabbe, 2020 first-round pick (lottery-protected via Brooklyn Nets), 2022 1st-round pick (lottery-protected via Oklahoma City Thunder)

Hawks Receive: C Karl-Anthony Towns

Timberwolves Receive: F Jayson Tatum, F Gordon Hayward, SG Carsen Edwards, C Robert Williams III, 2020 first-round pick (lottery-protected)

Celtics Receive: C Karl-Anthony Towns, C Gorgui Dieng

Timberwolves Receive: PG Spencer Dinwiddie, SF Caris LeVert, C Jarrett Allen, SG Joe Harris, 2020 1st-round pick (lottery-protected via Philadelphia 76ers)

Nets Receive: Karl-Anthony Towns
    See, these seem like far too rich for my blood. Especially that Hawks trade, yikes.

Also, the Hawks have some pretty big defensive issues as it is, I love the idea of trading Reddish (who has potential as a defender at least, I do not buy his upside on O), and Huerter (a decent team defender) for KAT, who is notoriously not very good on defense. Trae Young + KAT combo would absolutely die on every PnR set in the league

That would be so cool...but expensive.

This is what a T-Wolves beat writer thinks they'll get: https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2019/1...de-offers/amp/

Now that's biased....but D Russel and three 1sts, Randle/Morris and SIX 1st, or SGA/S Adams and three 1sts.

Wow. I guess he is a talent with four years left on his contract....but just wow. Is that realistic?

So going off of just that, to compete we would have to go with, what, Hayes/Jah/Moore and four 1sts? Possibly even NAW.

But we WOULD be trotting out:

Ball
    Jrue
    Ingram
    Zion
    KAT
    With a bench of JJ, Favors, Hart, K Hustle......to me that is title contending. And we would still have five 1sts over the next 7 years.

Or is that how we lose Jrue?
    Bro that Pelicans package is not realistic lol.

A Ingram, Hayes, Moore and two future firsts would be Minny asking price. ( Two potential stars, vet, and draft picks)
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    See, these seem like far too rich for my blood. Especially that Hawks trade, yikes.

Also, the Hawks have some pretty big defensive issues as it is, I love the idea of trading Reddish (who has potential as a defender at least, I do not buy his upside on O), and Huerter (a decent team defender) for KAT, who is notoriously not very good on defense. Trae Young + KAT combo would absolutely die on every PnR set in the league
    Almost all of those seem like overpays. Celtics would not part with Tatum for AD, there is no way they would do it for KAT. Substitute Brown for Tatum and seems more realistic.

The link doesn't have the trade in it.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Almost all of those seem like overpays. Celtics would not part with Tatum for AD, there is no way they would do it for KAT. Substitute Brown for Tatum and seems more realistic.
    Yeah. Just like us with AD, they may have to take a package that is more weighted with picks if teams don't want to part with stars.

Playing Devil's Advocate to that, to trade KAT for young prospects and picks would be like starting a whole rebuild. They may not be at that point yet. But who is?

I thought this was going to be for at least realistic or semi-realistic proposals.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    PELS receive CP3

OKC receive Jrue Holiday, Lonzo Ball, Okafor and Pelicans 2021 first round pick

What about that?

Josh Hart can play SG
    Let Hart and Redick share minutes at SG
    Re-sign Favors and Ingram.

Paul, Redick, Ingram, Zion, Favors

Off the bench: Hart, NAW, Hayes

IMO we need an elite pg. Paul is going to be good for a long time. We should slowly bring Zion into the mix and try to make a run to get the 8th seed. Long term plan should be to find a younger PG to eventually be the starter and to develop our young guys, NAW, Zion, Hayes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    PELS receive CP3

What about that?

Josh Hart can play SG

IMO we need an elite pg. Paul is going to be good for a long time. We should slowly bring Zion into the mix and try to make a run to get the 8th seed. Long term plan should be to find a younger PG to eventually be the starter and to develop our young guys, NAW, Zion, Hayes...

Come on. Why would we give up all of that for an old PG who has one of the worst contracts in the NBA? Jrue alone is better than him and much cheaper.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    PELS receive CP3

What about that?

Josh Hart can play SG

Still haven't stopped drinking since New Years ? So, we give up Jrue & 2021 pick for 44 million on the books for a couple of years? We get OKC out of a HORRIBLE contract & actually give them Valuable assets? Wow, just wow!
    Last edited by Tinman; 01-03-2020 at 04:15 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The majority of these trades are always for the splashy move. The move that immediately makes us better tomorrow. Rarely is it for someone of a level with Jahlil Okafor or Kenny Hustle. Someone undervalued who fits our scheme and team personality better.

https://tradenba.com/trades/wmMYUI4eT

Here's a last-minute one, posted at 11:58pm on New Year's Eve, that will make the majority of this board hate me. It is purely for the intent of being spicy, and I will relish it being my last take of 2019. It is intensely on brand.
    Lmao!!

It's funny because while it's not actually a bad trade (I do personally think Bam has been better than Ingram this year), I know that it will wind some people up because

A) It's Ingram
    B) it's me talking about Ingram

Happy new year!
    A) You gotta be kidding me
    B) You are hating on Ingram again and losing all credibility ��
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-03-2020 at 06:42 PM.

The Franchise
    Depends what their asking price is. It's got to be high, he's still got years and years left on his deal. If I'm Griff, I'm definitely looking into it, KAT is a top 20 player and his ability to space the floor would be invaluable next to Zion, but it's also not something I'd want to go overboard.

As MSU said, if they want D Russell + 3 1sts then from us, that pretty much maps onto Jrue + 3 1sts, and that's a little rich for my tastes.

Edit: I should also add that I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota asked for Zion in any KAT trade, and if they did I would immediately hang up.
    What if it was Lonzo, Moore, Miller, Okafor, our 1st next year ( which I’m not really liking the draft all that much) and 2 lakers firsts for Towns and diop? They save a bunch of money, build around Ball, Culver, and Wiggins, and still can move Covington for additional pieces or a first. Teague could be moved as an expiring as well at the deadline to pick up possibly a couple 2nds or even a first if they take back some salary.

We roll out
    Jrue, NAW
    JJ, Hart, DiDi
    Ingram, Diop
    Zion, Kenrich (diop and Ingram can play small ball 4)
    Towns, Favors, Hayes

We keep our good veteran/youth mix and still have our seconds to move other pieces around if needed

I wouldn’t mind throwing a couple seconds and Frank Jackson for Ntilkina. Prob butchered his name but think he could give us a good bit of what Lonzo would have given us for hopefully a fraction of the cost.
    Last edited by tdcreator; 01-03-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    What if it was Lonzo, Moore, Miller, Okafor, our 1st next year ( which I’m not really liking the draft all that much) and 2 lakers firsts for Towns and diop? They save a bunch of money, build around Ball, Culver, and Wiggins, and still can move Covington for additional pieces or a first. Teague could be moved as an expiring as well at the deadline to pick up possibly a couple 2nds or even a first if they take back some salary.

We roll out
    Jrue, NAW
    JJ, Hart, DiDi
    Ingram, Diop
    Zion, Kenrich (diop and Ingram can play small ball 4)
    Towns, Favors, Hayes

We keep our good veteran/youth mix and still have our seconds to move other pieces around if needed

I wouldn’t mind throwing a couple seconds and Frank Jackson for Ntilkina. Prob butchered his name but think he could give us a good bit of what Lonzo would have given us for hopefully a fraction of the cost.
    If you trade away a 2021 first round pick that has any potential at all to be top 10, you deserve to be beaten with a sock filled with soap. The 2021 draft is a hugely promising one, with a bunch of very very intriguing prospects. Cade Cunningham, for example, is in that draft. Evan Mobley, Usman Garuba, for some other names.

In any case, nah, I'm not going in for any trade that requires putting 3 firsts on the table, especially not one that involves us absorbing cap dumps. That's a short term move imo, without thinking about us down the line.

The Franchise
    If you trade away a 2021 first round pick that has any potential at all to be top 10, you deserve to be beaten with a sock filled with soap. The 2021 draft is a hugely promising one, with a bunch of very very intriguing prospects. Cade Cunningham, for example, is in that draft. Evan Mobley, Usman Garuba, for some other names.

In any case, nah, I'm not going in for any trade that requires putting 3 firsts on the table, especially not one that involves us absorbing cap dumps. That's a short term move imo, without thinking about us down the line.
    If we trade our 2020 pick we still have our 2021 pick because of rule that you can’t trade consecutive years. Plus I think towns resell value would be high for multiple years barring injuries, and maybe we could use him to move up to grab one of those elite type players. I doubt you could get a good return on players we want to move and still keep players we want (Zion/Ingram). The other thing is every year the drafts seems to be good and as the year plays out the players draft stock falls. I think of it as grabbing a good player or good assets. Imagine someone like golden state trading their number 1 pick for towns which I think would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Lmao!!

A) You gotta be kidding me
    B) You are hating on Ingram again and losing all credibility ��
    I love you, GA. I wish you posted more......but it's time to give up the feud with Dae. It's getting to Basic Instinct crazy ex levels. Lol

Thread Information