Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 31st January - New Orleans Pelicans vs Memphis Grizzlies - 19-29

Pelicans 31st January - New Orleans Pelicans vs Memphis Grizzlies - 19-29

Picked up the road win against Cleveland and now it's back to New Orleans to take on the Memphis Grizzlies again; yet another important game for all the obvious reasons. If we win this one, we guarantee that we at least tie the season series against Memphis, which is important for playoffs related reasons. As always, a game against a team like this is worth double value because it both adds a win to us, and a loss to them.

Here's the injury report:

Pretty much clear, aside from Kenrich and Darius. So that's great. Meanwhile, we are all aware of Jaren Jackson Jr being suspended for this game for the Grizzlies; this is a large boon to us, as JJJ is very good.

The Grizzlies just hit .500. They are 24-24, having gone 11-3 in the month of January up until now. They've been playing well, and they've picked up some good wins during this span, including victories over Denver and Houston. In both cases, there was some injury, but Denver still had Jokic and Houston still had Harden, so it's still worth noting.

We played the Grizz recently so I won't go deep dive on the stats, but a quick reminder: 18th in ORtg, 20th in DRtg, 4th in FG%, leads the league in assists, mediocre at everything else. Ja Morant is good at basketball, but last time we played Memphis he was held to 16 points on 35% shooting. Without JJJ to attract defensive attention and pull our bigs out of the paint, driving could get even more dangerous for him tonight.

Let's try and get the win! #WBD
    Basketball.

Big shutout to our man Elfrid for the assist! Respect the game.

New theory with no empirical data to support it: BI was feeling the pressure of the all-star voting and now that he's made it, he begins tonight juiced up and his play will get back to looking loose and easy.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-31-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I consider this game a must-win by the way.

Especially as healthy as we are and them missing people.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Especially as healthy as we are and them missing people.
    And considering the upcoming games for each team. After this we play Houston and Milwaukee; they play Detroit and Dallas. Dallas is tough, obviously, but Luka just injured his ankle and he might not be back by then: he injured his ankle once earlier this season and it took him out 11 days iirc.

So if we lose this, it could easily be the start of a 3 game losing streak. For them, it could be followed by 2 more wins. Right now we're 5 games behind. If we lose our next 3, we'll be 19-32. If they win theirs, they'll be 27-24. Suffice it to say, 8 games behind in the win column is not where anyone wants to be.

Need to pick up the winnable ones when you can. This is winnable. No excuses.

BIG game for us. Must win of course.

No Jaren Jackson, probably no Brandon Clarke. Meanwhile, we're completely healthy; even Zion's up to nearly 30 minutes a night now.

No excuses. We're even at home. Gotta take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

No Jaren Jackson, probably no Brandon Clarke. Meanwhile, we're completely healthy; even Zion's up to nearly 30 minutes a night now.

No excuses. We're even at home. Gotta take it.
    Agreed. They have no answer for Zion and BI. If Ja is contained like he was last game I have no idea where their offense comes from. Jrue has been even more of a menace on D since return from his injury and I have noticed (especially when he is out of the lineup) Zo has been stepping up onto the best wing from the other team, often even calling to switch with a teammate so he can get back on them. I think Zo really excels on the defensive end when his mark is ball dominant, he seems to switch off a bit when he is defending and off ball player.

I'd like to send Elfrid Payton a gift basket for getting this thing rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by carpo View Post
    Agreed. They have no answer for Zion and BI. If Ja is contained like he was last game I have no idea where their offense comes from. Jrue has been even more of a menace on D since return from his injury and I have noticed (especially when he is out of the lineup) Zo has been stepping up onto the best wing from the other team, often even calling to switch with a teammate so he can get back on them. I think Zo really excels on the defensive end when his mark is ball dominant, he seems to switch off a bit when he is defending and off ball player.
    Their offense comes from their wannabe Kobe-- Dillon Brooks.

Let Melli play!!!!!

Just read that the Mavs are shelving Doncic for two weeks due to ankle sprain. That six games. Dallas is 10.5 games in front of us and we play them next Wednesday. Time to streak, Pels!!! (wouldn't mind the Mavs streaking in the other direction, too)

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Let Melli play!!!!!
    With his success against Jonas last game, AG would be daft not to run that again...

Oh bugger... AG is daft

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN BEGGING FOR!

ATTACK THE PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

via GIPHY

Last edited by ragincaucasian; 01-31-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Jax is our best pnr alley oop catcher

How is this thread so dead?

could have given jrue the and1 there to make up for that call on the other end

Refs just pissed Jrue off with that ******** whistle. 7 straight points

More of THIS Jrue please.

pels can't buy a foul crikey. not a single free throw all game so far.

Can we give Z a good pass for once

More Melli please!!!!

WHHHHHHHYYYYY PULL MELLI!?!?!?!?!!??

The frustration is real!! He spreads the floor perfectly for Zion. He’s playing amazing. Only been in for a few minutes..... and you PULL HIM!?!?!?

The most atrocious uncalled foul this game is Taylor Jenkins shoe and suit combo

Dont want to get overly excited since Memphis is shorthanded, but the pels are doing what good teams do in this situation. Exploiting the matchups and weaknesses and controlling the game

Thread Information