Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: An update on Zion’s rehab process

I honestly think that if we’re were not play as well as we are right now, there was no way he was coming back this season. If we can string another win or two before he returns, I think the playoffs are a real possibility.

Wouldn't it be sweet to knock the Lakers out of the playoffs?

I can dream, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    I honestly think that if we’re were not play as well as we are right now, there was no way he was coming back this season. If we can string another win or two before he returns, I think the playoffs are a real possibility.
    I don't really get this reasoning. He has to actually play in games to improve at the NBA level. If he's healthy why wait? The record doesn't matter at this point in terms of Zion's development.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I don't really get this reasoning. He has to actually play in games to improve at the NBA level. If he's healthy why wait? The record doesn't matter at this point in terms of Zion's development.
    It makes absolutely no sense, and never has, but people have been pushing it since he first got injured.

Even worse is when you argue it with someone and they refer to Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid or Blake Griffin.

As if a meniscus tear is the same thing as a broken kneecap or broken feet.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It makes absolutely no sense, and never has, but people have been pushing it since he first got injured.

Even worse is when you argue it with someone and they refer to Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid or Blake Griffin.

I got Derrick Rose. Who tore his ACL.

So if the Pelicans suck Zion needs to sit. Next they'll say he needs to be traded to a contender....in his 2nd year.

And apparently nobody knows the Pelicans are 4 games out of the 8 spot in January. Im talking the national butt heads who have declared the Pelicans season officially over.

If we could sit him for 4 to 6 years, he'll be fresh when these Laker picks are really hitting.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I agree with Jalen here

It’s a bad take in my opinion.

People still haven’t wrapped it around their heads that Zion is a power forward. It kind of exposes them to what they watch the game for. If you scout him, he beats big men up the court. Constantly running, waiting for the pocket in transition or on the wings in transition.

It’s like watching Jokic run in practice and telling him he’s not ready to play. Then understand it’s rare for you to see a full court alley oop to Jokic or a pass on the wing to Jokic in transition where he finishes on chase downs.

Jalen Rose isn’t my go to for basketball insight.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I agree with Jalen here

Couldn't disagree with Jalen more. Jacoby's right. If you're healthy, play basketball. Jalen's position of the story that playing him would be because we are "trying to push out a few more wins" is a false narrative. If they play him, it's for him. He needs NBA reps to get better at playing NBA basketball. Holding him back for a "redshirt season" does him no favors.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I agree with Jalen here
    Rare that anything good comes with this sentence.

Zion will make his debut on MLK day in Memphis against Ja Morant. Not sure why this wasn’t more obvious to us sooner.

I think he returns Thursday Jan 16th at home vs the Jazz. That is the exact midway point of season.

They both said the Pelicans season is over and they have nothing to play for. That just shows you how much attention they've really been paying.

And I guess it's to the point that if he plays at all this year, the Pelicans are "rushing" him back. The fact that most players would have been back weeks ago from this injury doesnt seem to matter. And Zion is fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

I wholeheartedly disagree. If the pelicans were dead last then there would be zero reason to bring him back. Let him practice with the team and come back next season.

Since we are only three games out, it’s justifiable to bring him back.

You have lots of season ticket holders that are waiting for his return with the chance of this team making the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmNathan View Post
    Zion will make his debut on MLK day in Memphis against Ja Morant. Not sure why this wasn’t more obvious to us sooner.
    That Jan 10 @MSG looks like gold right now for a return . Restricted minutes

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmNathan View Post
    Gotta think the Pels capitalize on his return at a home game.

Have faith in the training staff. They know what they're doing.

I wholeheartedly disagree. If the pelicans were dead last then there would be zero reason to bring him back. Let him practice with the team and come back next season.

You have lots of season ticket holders that are waiting for his return with the chance of this team making the playoffs.
    We have lots of season ticket holders who want to see Zion play, playoffs or not.

Everyone suggesting that a fully healthy Zion sit needs to tell us how that gets presented to the public who shelled out for expensive tickets.

Fans understand Zion not playing if he is injured. But you really think a team in a semi rebuild like us, struggling for attendance in general, is going to turn around and tell fans "yeaaaah you know that guy you all paid to see? He COULD play but honestly we just aren't feeling it rn, sorry!"

Horrible, horrible PR

It doesnt matter if they are 3 games or 30 games back. He cant practice with the team if he's not going to play. They cant practice with him then play without him for half the year.

There is just no reasonable or logical angle to making him sit out games yet practice. Nobody gets injured in practice?

The playoffs have no bearing on whether or not he plays. If we were dead last there's still a ton of reason to play that has nothing to do with fans or season ticket holders. Zion needs to start getting NBA reps as soon as he's healthy enough to do so. The front office needs to see how Zion meshes with the rest of the team. Which players compliment him? Which players can't work with him? You won't know until you see them on the floor together for significant minutes, and we can't wait until next season to make those decisions for some of these players.

I think his debut will now be my second choice, 1/16 against Utah.

I dont think people realize how infrequent NBA teams get together and practice.

They only had a shoot around, then practiced once during that 4 day break.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-04-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Soon

Just in case anyone needed a reminder of the player about to join us.

My favourite highlights in this particular game are these -

0:30 - Zion catches the ball on the pass from Redick just beyond the arc. Immediately steps in, hits a quick spin move, draws three defenders before rising into the air and rocketing out a laser kick to Frank with perfect precision. Awesome pass, solid vision, quick decision making on the move, utilising gravity.

1:00 - Lonzo gets the steal, the entire team moves out in transition. Zion fills the lane, Lonzo flicks him the bounce pass; Zion gathers, takes off from 10 feet away from the hoop off both feet, absorbs contact, but displays incredible body control to maintain balance and lay it in softly.

1:23 - Zion catches the ball in motion. 3 other guys comes to help, meaning there are 4 Bulls defenders in front of him; he drops the dribble low, and in about two steps he's split the quadruple team and got a clean look at the rim. Yes, it's bad help, the defense isn't elite here, but it's 4 dudes packing the paint and he goes through them like it's nothing.

1:45 - Zion catches the ball just below the elbow from Jrue, takes one dribble in, draws the defender slightly out of position before hitting a perfect pocket pass to Favors on the baseline cut.

1:55 - Zion splits all 4 defenders again for the easy lay-up. Again, 4 defenders, again, none of them impact his shot at all. Just moves to the hoop without resistance.

Thread Information