Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: An update on Zion’s rehab process

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Trajan Langdon said they plan to have him practice this week during the 4 day off period. And start ramping him back up.
    Plenty of time. I'm going to stick with my ''Utah game on the 6th'' prediction, for no real reason. I just feel good about that being the right kind of time period, and I also think they'd prefer to bring him back on a home game. Could be wrong, obviously, I have no inside information and I've heard zero reporting that says they're targetting that game or anything, just my gut feeling.
    Basketball.

If anyone bothered to read the piece about Aaron Nelson I posted before the season, this effort to change how Zion walks/runs would be no surprise.

In that same piece Nelson talked about how he randomly sees people when he's out grocery shopping and would love to tell them how they could change how they walk to improve their stature. He talked about how for certain athletes, it's like opening all exhaust pipes by improving their movement.

I'm pretty sure they done similar for the entire team.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If anyone bothered to read the piece about Aaron Nelson I posted before the season, this effort to change how Zion walks/runs would be no surprise.

In that same piece Nelson talked about how he randomly sees people when he's out grocery shopping and would love to tell them how they could change how they walk to improve their stature. He talked about how for certain athletes, it's like opening all exhaust pipes by improving their movement.

If anyone bothered to read half the stuff that gets posted from people who have some semblance of knowledge, the world would be a very different place.

The piece about Zion's walk got blown up into a panicky news story by a media desperate for clicks because ''Pelicans have to teach Zion how to walk again!'' gets more attention to ''professional athlete gets physiotherapy'' does.

People read; people forget. I did read it. Thanks. It does shed a lot of light on the amount of detail professional athletes' handlers do know and use to take care of their players. Aaron Nelson has been devising a plan to assist Zion's body for the rest of his life.

A meniscus (two c-shaped cartilage used as shock absorbers) tear is not a mechanical breakdown in the way that an ACL or MCL are. Meniscus is simply cartilage. By going in arthroscopically and removing torn fragments if any from meniscus and then suturing (will self absorb) tear.

So learning proper ways that he should walk and run and jump, may help to eliminate other stress on knees down the line. So Zion, unless he has had a setback or complication which are rare, should stability-wise be completely healed when he returns after getting muscle and tendons and tissue healed.

Looks like he might be ready for that MSG game in against the Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by KPop1 View Post
    People read; people forget. I did read it. Thanks. It does shed a lot of light on the amount of detail professional athletes' handlers do know and use to take care of their players. Aaron Nelson has been devising a plan to assist Zion's body for the rest of his life.

A meniscus (two c-shaped cartilage used as shock absorbers) tear is not a mechanical breakdown in the way that an ACL or MCL are. Meniscus is simply cartilage. By going in arthroscopically and removing torn fragments if any from meniscus and then suturing (will self absorb) tear.

So learning proper ways that he should walk and run and jump, may help to eliminate other stress on knees down the line. So Zion, unless he has had a setback or complication which are rare, should stability-wise be completely healed when he returns after getting muscle and tendons and tissue healed.
    My understanding is they did clean it up but no suture, which is the better long term option, but would also have kept him out guaranteed until March.

I believe Eric Gordon just had a similar procedure but was only out 6 weeks. So it seems they are being extra cautious with Zion. He could probably play right now.

My understanding is they did clean it up but no suture, which is the better long term option, but would also have kept him out guaranteed until March.

I believe Eric Gordon just had a similar procedure but was only out 6 weeks. So it seems they are being extra cautious with Zion. He could probably play right now.
    A cleanup (removal of frayed edges/loose bits) is 4-6 weeks, a repair is 6-8. I assume he had a repair procedure to keep the cartilage intact. Plus we know they are being super cautious. There really is no need to rush him along. He probably could have started playing in early December from a function standpoint but why not make sure its completely healed with no risk of re-injury. I like the approach they are taking.

Here's the info if anyone is interested: (You have to sign up to read all of the info.)

"Meniscus Injuries Follow-up"

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/90661-followup

"Return to Play
    Return to play after a meniscus injury is expected. The timing varies and depends on the injury, treatment, and rehabilitation protocol. In many cases, athletes can return to their sport as soon as 2-3 weeks status post arthroscopic partial meniscectomy or 6-8 weeks status post meniscal repair."
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 12-30-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    A cleanup (removal of frayed edges/loose bits) is 4-6 weeks, a repair is 6-8. I assume he had a repair procedure to keep the cartilage intact. Plus we know they are being super cautious. There really is no need to rush him along. He probably could have started playing in early December from a function standpoint but why not make sure its completely healed with no risk of re-injury. I like the approach they are taking.

Here's the info if anyone is interested: (You have to sign up to read all of the info.)

"Meniscus Injuries Follow-up"

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/90661-followup

"Return to Play
    Return to play after a meniscus injury is expected. The timing varies and depends on the injury, treatment, and rehabilitation protocol. In many cases, athletes can return to their sport as soon as 2-3 weeks status post arthroscopic partial meniscectomy or 6-8 weeks status post meniscal repair."
    I guess I remember what I read from this:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...gery-arthritis

First off, let me clear up some misinterpretations. He did not have what we medically call a meniscus “repair,” as some media outlets have reported. That would involve suturing of the meniscus, which means allowing additional time for healing. That timeline is a minimum of three to four months.

Williamson had his meniscus trimmed, as the exact quote from the Pelicans referred to a “debridement.” Yes, non-medical personnel often refer to a meniscectomy or trimming/debridement as a “repair.” But they use the word “repair” as a “fix,” and that is not technically the medical terminology, for clarification purposes.

The good news here is the procedure Williamson had allows for a quicker recovery. In general, it does take longer for a basketball player to recover from any meniscectomy based on the demands of the sport, as accounted for in the timeline of 6-8 week provided by the Pelicans, when we routinely hear about 3-4 weeks in other sports.
    And this person, (no idea who this is) also referenced Zion's "knocked-kneed alignment" as something that might need to be addressed.

By itself, that may not be an issue but add to that his explosiveness and the current injury to the lateral meniscus and his “knock-kneed” alignment, and this could be a set-up for earlier long-term arthritis.
    Last edited by luckyman; 12-30-2019 at 10:31 PM.

I guess I remember what I read from this:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...gery-arthritis

And this person, (no idea who this is) also referenced Zion's "knocked-kneed alignment" as something that might need to be addressed.
    Good info in there. If it was just a clean-up he was probably ready to go physically weeks ago. At this point they must have been really wanting to get him working on the gait changes and getting those set in really well before he returns.

And I guess the technical for "knock-kneed" individuals is Valgus. Which sounds like a Sith lord.
    Last edited by luckyman; 12-31-2019 at 12:30 AM.

And I guess the technical for "knock-kneed" individuals is Valgus. Which sounds like a Sith lord.
    Yeah, and it's weird because Zion really isn't knock-kneed. At least, not with any regularity or extremity.

If you wanna know what someone who is really suffering from intensely knocked-knees looks like, go watch Porzingis play. Yikes.

Correct, and "bow legged" is called varus. A good example is someone with rickets form lack of vitamin c.

There is a specific angle with an optimal range of the femur in relation to the tibia that is looked for called the Q-angle. If Zion is outside the normal range he could be more prone to injury. But that would have to be measured and isn't something that would be public knowledge. Based on the reports of him having gait training it is probably more of a functional issue rather than a structural alignment problem. That's why Dae says he doesn't always look knock-kneed, because its most likely a muscle imbalance that can be corrected.

Ah yes. Darth Varus. Always two, there are. No more. No less.

Too early to start talking expectations of play? I know Zion eill be HEAVILY restricted. I'm trying to temper myself. I'm guessing a lot of rust but flashes of greatness.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

Too early to start talking expectations of play? I know Zion eill be HEAVILY restricted. I'm trying to temper myself. I'm guessing a lot of rust but flashes of greatness.
    How about just trying to guess how long it takes for him to catch his first body?

Like this one

I say first game

Also, yesterday marked week 11. So we are now well past even the most conservative time frame.

I honestly expect him to come back and play with roughly the same quality that he would have played with prior to the injury. Like luckyman said, they've held him out well past even the most conservative of time-frames, so when he comes back he'll essentially be coming back 2 or 3 weeks post-recovery, rather than as soon as he's ready. Maybe it'll take him 3 or 4 games to get into the swing of things but I'm predicting similar sorts of success.

Obviously this depends on minutes, since we already know he isn't going to play in B2Bs, but I think 18pts, 7rbds, 55%FG isn't unrealistic.

Ok. Yeah. I'm not tempering my expectations well.

Ok. Yeah. I'm not tempering my expectations well.
    I'm also kind of basing my estimations of Zion on other players from his draft class and how they've adjusted. For example, Brandon Clarke's interior finishing has translated directly to the NBA without much of a drop in efficiency, so I think it's fair to say that Zion's might well translate fairly cleanly too. There are multiple draftees from this class averaging more than 15ppg, and Zion was a more talented and efficient scorer in college than all of them, so again I can't see why (minutes permitting) Zion wouldn't also be able to put up 15ppg or more.

That does sound like a not too hidden message.

And yeah. That's a good point.....it's not like this is the 90s or the aughts and there is a gauntlet of tough inside defenders he will be going up against. He really should feast against most teams. Having him AND Favors should be the dominant interior for 48 minutes we thought we would get with AD and Boogie.

That does sound like a not too hidden message.

And yeah. That's a good point.....it's not like this is the 90s or the aughts and there is a gauntlet of tough inside defenders he will be going up against. He really should feast against most teams. Having him AND Favors should be the dominant interior for 48 minutes we thought we would get with AD and Boogie.
    The absolute best of interior defenders at the moment is someone like Rudy Gobert, and while yes it was pre-season, we all saw what Zion did to Gobert when they matched up before. Again, yes, pre-season so Gobert wasn't at his absolute best or most intense, but still, Zion just dismantled him. 26 points in 23 minutes on 75% shooting. Hit layups, put-backs, scoop shots, dunks. Just annihilation in the paint. You're right, Zion and Favors should provide 48 minutes of constant interior scoring threat.

STOP HYPING ME UP TOO SOON!!!

Hahaha

I’m calling it NOW! We will get to the second round of the playoffs this season!!!

LETS DANCE!!!!

First full practice for Zion just ended.

https://www.nba.com/pelicans/video/t...actice-2983473
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-02-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Bit more info: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28410260

"If it was up to me, I would've been out there two weeks ago or something," Williamson said. "It was just good to get back out there."
    When asked if Williamson could play on the upcoming road trip, Gentry said, "No. That won't happen. I'm pretty sure of that one."

Gentry added that the team does not have a date in mind for when Williamson will play in a game, but it is monitoring his progress in practice to see when the best time for that will be.
    Lends maybe a little more credence to my prediction of Zion coming back on the 6th at home V Utah.

During his absence, the team wanted to focus on the kinetic chain in his body, which would require some tweaking of how Williamson walks and runs. He said it was similar to the process he underwent at Duke when he injured his right knee after blowing out the bottom of his shoe.

"It's been a different process," Williamson said of his recovery. "Just working on mobility and strength in areas that I don't really use my strength and balance."
    Zion clarifies what we all knew; he's not being re-trained to walk, he's just working on physio to clear up any little errors, to encourage good habits, and to prevent future injury.

Thread Information