Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Actual Trades That Have Happened Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I think the Rockets got worse in that trade which is nice. I guess they are going all in on positionless basketball
    I feel like they improve defensively at the wing, which makes sense if they feel like LAC are more of a threat than the Lakers. PJ Tucker has never had a problem guarding AD before.

Covington's also shooting 68% on unguarded jumpers, so I feel like he's going to benefit offensively from Houston's system a lot.
    Basketball.

I still think Houston gets knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. I don’t see them getting past the Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, or Jazz for sure.

I still think Houston gets knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. I don’t see them getting past the Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, or Jazz for sure.
    Well, same lol, but I'm sure they're not thinking like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

These teams just throwing every player around
    Vonleh didn't play well at all for us. (Wolves fan here) And new Pelicans fan with Zion.

Very disappointed with Vonleh but I do think in the right system he will do well. I don't think we have a great head coach. Nice kid but he's about as smart as Luke Walton who also has no business as a HC in the NBA. Jordan Bell the same. KBD is a decent SF but he was on again off again. If he got hot he shot lights out but that wasn't often.

I think the Rockets got worse in that trade which is nice. I guess they are going all in on positionless basketball
    Actually I think they got better. He was our defensive stud and a very solid player but he was played this entire year out of position (PF). That's the Wolves crappy coaching staff.

They have yet to try Towns and Dieng or Towns and Reid together and instead forced Covington to play PF. Not a good match. I'm happy for him though. He will fit in really well in Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Actually I think they got better. He was our defensive stud and a very solid player but he was played this entire year out of position (PF). That's the Wolves crappy coaching staff.

They have yet to try Towns and Dieng or Towns and Reid together and instead forced Covington to play PF. Not a good match. I'm happy for him though. He will fit in really well in Houston.
    I think the issue is that while Towns is insane offensively, he's a defensive none-factor, and pairing him with Dieng (who is also a poor defender) or Reid (who is, again, a very poor defender) is basically asking for your paint to be turned into a playground. This is especially the case given that neither Dieng nor Reid can really defend down positions.

Covington is a really good player (there are 2 none-centres who are top 20 all time in Defensive PIPM. One is Tony Allen, the other is RoCo) who makes Houston much more staunch defensively on the wing, but there's no doubt that they lose interior defense without Capela, and they also remove the lob-threat that Harden used so much to create space on drives.

I think the issue is that while Towns is insane offensively, he's a defensive none-factor, and pairing him with Dieng (who is also a poor defender) or Reid (who is, again, a very poor defender) is basically asking for your paint to be turned into a playground. This is especially the case given that neither Dieng nor Reid can really defend down positions.

Covington is a really good player (there are 2 none-centres who are top 20 all time in Defensive PIPM. One is Tony Allen, the other is RoCo) who makes Houston much more staunch defensively on the wing, but there's no doubt that they lose interior defense without Capela, and they also remove the lob-threat that Harden used so much to create space on drives.
    We can disagree. Look up the stats on Dieng. He's been solid playing defense (when he plays as we have a stubborn coach who hasn't played him much). KAT does need to step up on his defense and stop complaining about non-calls. I didn't know GS was shopping WCS and Dallas got lucky to get him on the cheap. I would have loved to paired up KAT and WCS together.
    Here something from one of the guys.

As taken from basketball-reference & nba.com

2015-16: 1123 minutes, +2.9 PP100 (points per 100), +.005 eFG, +0.5 REB vs. opponent
    2016-17: 2153 minutes, +1.7 PP100, -.004 eFG, +1.5 REB
    2017-18: 357.5 minutes,+1.8 PP100, -.011 eFG, +1.5 REB
    2018-19: 21 minutes, +8 on that period of time (had to pull this from nba.com) in 32 games total
    2019-20: 8 minutes, -6 (full breakdown here on.nba.com/2NBqqrs) - the two negative lineups featured Layman + Okogie at the 2-3

Bottom line, the KAT-Dieng pairing isn't terrible and there's historical data to show it has worked in the past.

We can disagree. Look up the stats on Dieng. He's been solid playing defense (when he plays as we have a stubborn coach who hasn't played him much). KAT does need to step up on his defense and stop complaining about non-calls. I didn't know GS was shopping WCS and Dallas got lucky to get him on the cheap. I would have loved to paired up KAT and WCS together.
    Here something from one of the guys.

As taken from basketball-reference & nba.com

2015-16: 1123 minutes, +2.9 PP100 (points per 100), +.005 eFG, +0.5 REB vs. opponent
    2016-17: 2153 minutes, +1.7 PP100, -.004 eFG, +1.5 REB
    2017-18: 357.5 minutes,+1.8 PP100, -.011 eFG, +1.5 REB
    2018-19: 21 minutes, +8 on that period of time (had to pull this from nba.com) in 32 games total
    2019-20: 8 minutes, -6 (full breakdown here on.nba.com/2NBqqrs) - the two negative lineups featured Layman + Okogie at the 2-3

Bottom line, the KAT-Dieng pairing isn't terrible and there's historical data to show it has worked in the past.
    That's fair, although particularly in the later seasons I think sample sizes of 8 and 21 minutes aren't really worth considering. Just far too small to have any real impact. The older samples, particularly the ones over 1000 minutes, are much more valuable. I think what's notable about those is that they show offensive increases (in PP100, for example) but I'd be curious to see what the OeFG looked like during those possessions, for example.

In fairness, I didn't watch much of the Timberwolves back in 2016 so I concede that this may just be a result of my ignorance. Would be curious to see those stats though.

That's fair, although particularly in the later seasons I think sample sizes of 8 and 21 minutes aren't really worth considering. Just far too small to have any real impact. The older samples, particularly the ones over 1000 minutes, are much more valuable. I think what's notable about those is that they show offensive increases (in PP100, for example) but I'd be curious to see what the OeFG looked like during those possessions, for example.

In fairness, I didn't watch much of the Timberwolves back in 2016 so I concede that this may just be a result of my ignorance. Would be curious to see those stats though.
    I'm the person who has a Minnesota Sports Forum but my frustration level with the stupid owner for the Wolves has reached a limit so I started looking for another team to root for. Loved Zion when he was with Duke (Let's go Duke) so here I am taking a look.

As for the stats I've got some stats people that love looking at the stuff (similar to what you do). The desire by some of the Wolves fans to get rid of Dieng is as puzzling as the Jrue trades. Dieng and Covington have been our lunch pail players. Solid and show up. Neither are they superstars but you need the Rodman, Grant type players on any Championship team. Covington and Dieng are those players.

Also the 8 minutes is because our coach refuses to play KAT and Dieng together as in I think a total of 20 minutes for the season with them together and it was during garbage time.

I'm the person who has a Minnesota Sports Forum but my frustration level with the stupid owner for the Wolves has reached a limit so I started looking for another team to root for. Loved Zion when he was with Duke (Let's go Duke) so here I am taking a look.

As for the stats I've got some stats people that love looking at the stuff (similar to what you do). The desire by some of the Wolves fans to get rid of Dieng is as puzzling as the Jrue trades. Dieng and Covington have been our lunch pail players. Solid and show up. Neither are they superstars but you need the Rodman, Grant type players on any Championship team. Covington and Dieng are those players.

Also the 8 minutes is because our coach refuses to play KAT and Dieng together as in I think a total of 20 minutes for the season with them together and it was during garbage time.
    I largely agree, although I would argue that Rodman had superstar value on those Bulls teams, even though he wasn't a scorer. I really think we need to popularise the term ''superstar roleplayer'' or something similar to that, to differentiate between guys who are ''stars'' in the traditional sense (your MJs, Lebrons, etc) and the guys who aren't floor raisers in the same way but have incredible value on good teams (you RoCo being a great example).

Yeah, I understand that it's not those player's faults that they don't run together. It can be coaching reasons, or even injury that keeps them apart, or whatever. But at the end of the day, whatever the reason is, the result is less than a single quarter's worth of time and it's hard to really take anything meaningful from that.

The Rockets are in the middle of doing something brilliant or something stupid going all in on this all guard plus Covington strategy. We are a better team than them but the way they employed this on us was so disorienting it led to a Houston win. Lots of small guys running around with their hands everywhere, disrupting plays, and rushing to crowd the paint. It will confuse a lot of teams and will win them some games as people scramble to game plan against it. It eventually will be figured out and schemed against......but can they sneak the title from better teams this season before it does?
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    The Rockets are in the middle of doing something brilliant or something stupid going all in on this all guard plus Covington strategy. We are a better team than them but the way they employed this on us was so disorienting it led to a Houston win. Lots of small guys running around with their hands everywhere, disrupting plays, and rushing to crowd the paint. It will confuse a lot of teams and will win them some games as people scramble to game plan against it. It eventually will be figured out and schemed against......but can they sneak the title from better teams this season before it does?
    There are rumours that the Rockets are currently engaged in talks with some Eastern Conference teams, trying to secure a centre. If they end up adding a Tristan Thompson or something, somehow, then they will have had a fantastic trade deadline.

There are rumours that the Rockets are currently engaged in talks with some Eastern Conference teams, trying to secure a centre. If they end up adding a Tristan Thompson or something, somehow, then they will have had a fantastic trade deadline.
    Alex Len's name has popped up as well. Not sure they can bring on Thompson's salary without a lot of movements.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Alex Len's name has popped up as well. Not sure they can bring on Thompson's salary without a lot of movements.
    Not entirely sure here because I haven't checked the salaries myself, just something I've heard circulating. Still, adding any functional big would make the loss of Capela slightly less impactful and amplify the added value from RoCo

Heat about to really bulk up their roster. If I had to guess I'd assume this involves Winslow ending up in OKC and DJJ ending up in Memphis as the primary draws (or something like that). Apparently Memphis is willing to take on longer term salary because they recognise that they're not really going to be buying this free agency and they have too much cash, so possibility that Waiters ends up being offloaded to the Grizz?

Intriguing.

Surely that second isn't guaranteed at 15M?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Surely that second isn't guaranteed at 15M?
    I believe the second year is a team option. No guarantee on that because I've heard it from Heat Twitter not from Woj or Shams directly

Confirmation

Confirmation
    What did the Heat give up?

What did the Heat give up?
    Justise Winslow is part of the package headed to Memphis in the Iguodala trade, league sources tell ESPN.

The Franchise
    Justise Winslow is part of the package headed to Memphis in the Iguodala trade, league sources tell ESPN.
    I’m so mad, I wanted him. I thought he’d be perfect as a ball handler and small ball 4.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’m so mad, I wanted him. I thought he’d be perfect as a ball handler and small ball 4.
    Agree. He is who I wanted to try and pry from Miami. Memphis is really building a nice team.

Sacrameto is trading Dewayne Dedmon to Atlanta for Jabari Parker and Alex Len, sources tell @ZachLowe_NBA and me. Atlanta also gets two second round picks.

Thread Information