Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Actual Trades That Have Happened Thread

NBA Actual Trades That Have Happened Thread

Over the next few months we're going to see some trades happen. Some years there are tons, other years not so many. I figured it might be worth having a thread active where we keep up with actual trades that have actually happened. I considered posting this thread immediately after the moratorium ended on the 15th, but I decided to save it until a trade occurred, and here we are.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the first post-moratorium trade of the 2019-2020 Season:

So it seems to be Jazz sending Dante Exum and 2 2nd round picks to CLE for Jordan Clarkson.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 12-23-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    Basketball.

Another update for the ''actual trades that have actually happened'' thread.

Ya know, actual trades that have actually happened aren't nearly as fun as trades that are just actually speculation.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Ya know, actual trades that have actually happened aren't nearly as fun as trades that are just actually speculation.
    Oh of course not just thought it was worth noting them anyway, boring as they may be

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Oh of course not just thought it was worth noting them anyway, boring as they may be
    Now, what's more exciting is an actual trade that was total speculation or just made up randomly on the ESPN trade machine.

What's even funnier is when I actually recognize anyone traded that's not on the Pelicans because I know very little

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

Bad trade for Portland

Bad trade for Portland
    Wasn't a trade for talent. It was a tax reduction trade.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Wasn't a trade for talent. It was a tax reduction trade.
    And that's bad.

And that's bad.
    Not necessarily. My understanding is that they are trying to set the team up for a sale. The difference between someone like Ariza and Bazemore is not that great to warrant the additional tax.

Not necessarily. My understanding is that they are trying to set the team up for a sale. The difference between someone like Ariza and Bazemore is not that great to warrant the additional tax.
    Can we start the Portland to Seattle rumor? Or maybe I just did?

I don't look at things from the perspective of ownership. Not even low on my list of priorities, just not on there at all; if you're a team that's consistently making the playoffs, still has a chance of making the playoffs this year, and has a top 15 player in his prime on it, I feel like the luxury tax should be nowhere near your decision making process.

And I understand if the ownership has a different perspective on that, because it's their money, but I don't care about their money and I don't think fans should ever particularly care about ownership's money.

I don't look at things from the perspective of ownership. Not even low on my list of priorities, just not on there at all; if you're a team that's consistently making the playoffs, still has a chance of making the playoffs this year, and has a top 15 player in his prime on it, I feel like the luxury tax should be nowhere near your decision making process.

And I understand if the ownership has a different perspective on that, because it's their money, but I don't care about their money and I don't think fans should ever particularly care about ownership's money.
    Salary cap and luxury tax is all part of the game. Even on talent alone, it is not a terrible trade. Bazemore and Ariza not that far apart, so if salary is the tiebreaker, I can see the trade.

Salary cap and luxury tax is all part of the game. Even on talent alone, it is not a terrible trade. Bazemore and Ariza not that far apart, so if salary is the tiebreaker, I can see the trade.
    It's part of the game, and salary cap is one thing, but for the purposes of a fan, judging things from the perspective of a fan, who cares about the potential of their team to win and has no real interest in how rich their franchise's owner is, the luxury tax doesn't matter. Why should a fan ever care if the billionaire running their team has to pay extra tax? Half of 'em don't even pay their real tax, paying the NBA tax is the least they can do

If you're a fan ever worrying about the luxury tax, and caring about trying to save money, well done; you've been duped into being emotionally invested into the fiscal wellbeing of billionaires.

The salary cap is one thing because it restricts free agency signings and such; that's why fans should care. It has a tangible impact that they will see, visibly, upon the court. But if (as you say) Ariza and Bazemore are a relatively flat trade in terms of pure talent then there's no real reason to expect to see any improvement on the court here; it's purely a money saving cost. And if you trade a 30 year old of X talent for a 34 year old of X talent, attaching picks to do so, for the sole purpose of saving money, then you're making a bad trade from the perspective of the fan who does not care about how much cash the billionaire owner saves.

It's part of the game, and salary cap is one thing, but for the purposes of a fan, judging things from the perspective of a fan, who cares about the potential of their team to win and has no real interest in how rich their franchise's owner is, the luxury tax doesn't matter. Why should a fan ever care if the billionaire running their team has to pay extra tax? Half of 'em don't even pay their real tax, paying the NBA tax is the least they can do

If you're a fan ever worrying about the luxury tax, and caring about trying to save money, well done; you've been duped into being emotionally invested into the fiscal wellbeing of billionaires.

The salary cap is one thing because it restricts free agency signings and such; that's why fans should care. It has a tangible impact that they will see, visibly, upon the court. But if (as you say) Ariza and Bazemore are a relatively flat trade in terms of pure talent then there's no real reason to expect to see any improvement on the court here; it's purely a money saving cost. And if you trade a 30 year old of X talent for a 34 year old of X talent, attaching picks to do so, for the sole purpose of saving money, then you're making a bad trade from the perspective of the fan who does not care about how much cash the billionaire owner saves.
    I disagree. Luxury tax and salary cap has implications on future signings and trades. If it helps the team in the future without harming the present, that is a plus to me. I don't think either team really "won" the trade outright.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

That's huge for Dallas. I wonder what they gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    That's huge for Dallas. I wonder what they gave up.

That’s it?

That's a steal.

I know this trade hasn’t happened but I’d rather not start a new thread... the Rockets are shopping Clint Cappella per Woj. Wonder why.

Looks like this is probably going down.

These teams just throwing every player around

I think the Rockets got worse in that trade which is nice. I guess they are going all in on positionless basketball

Thread Information