Pelicans Report

Thread: Griff’s interview with Jen Hale : Zion’s return, Trade rumors {Dec 2019}

Griff’s interview with Jen Hale : Zion’s return, Trade rumors {Dec 2019}

Here it is . Transcript per Pelicans.com

David, I have to start with some exciting developments at shootaround this morning. We saw Zion Williamson out on the court, putting up some light shooting. It was electric and energized everybody so much. What is the progress he is making, where is he in his recovery?

“Yeah, we are really excited about where he’s at. He’s made really good progress. I know we’ve reached that eight week point and everyone is ready to see him. I think we are a little ways away yet. But today was a really big first step. He’s in an important time for him because he is now fully weight-bearing, so if we’re going to see a setback we would see it now. But the teammates, the way they respond to him, the joy he has when he is on the floor is evident and we’ve obviously needed that.”

It was so much fun to watch. Now, I have to ask you, an inflammatory report from The New York Times today that the face of the franchise, Jrue Holiday is now actually on the trade market. Griff, is Jrue indeed available if the price is right?

“So, this is one of these things that’s crazy about this time of year because you can clock when these conversations are going to happen. So, December 15th just passed which is when everyone that signed as a free agent can be traded. So teams that would hope to acquire something from a team like ours, that’s really struggling to win games, is looking at us as a target. Absolutely nothing has changed at all in our approach to this situation or to the season. Everyone wants to believe that Jrue (Holiday), JJ (Redick), or Fave (Derrick Favors) would be available because we are not winning, and that’s natural. But, the reality is nothing has changed our position at all. I think back quite often to the fact that when we were in Cleveland, everybody knew we were a buyer, so everybody said we were interested in people. People identify us as a seller now because of our results, and nothing factual has taken place at all.”

Those rumors can be detrimental to a locker room and a player’s psyche. Have you addressed these rumors with Jrue (Holiday) at all?

“So this is funny actually. The irony in this is pretty funny. I was with Jrue (Holiday) yesterday. We had a conversation, and I explained exactly what I just said to you all about December 15th. I said, ‘I can write it down in blood that there will be a story that we should trade you or are trying to trade you.’ It just so happened that it came the very next day, so we actually laughed about it.”

So you are not trying to trade Jrue Holiday?

“Clearly not, no.”

Upcoming road trip, what are you looking to accomplish when the Pelicans go on this Christmas swing?

“I think we need to see us come together a little bit, and this game here has been a good start in terms of our defensive intensity, but we’ve had absolutely no continuity. We need to start to build in a way that makes sense. Obviously, everyone is going to continue to look at us as a team that’s underachieving until we turn the corner, and it’s our job to listen to things.”

And my thoughts I do believe Grif. is testing Favors, J.J. And Jrue’s trade value. Interesting he mentioned those three and nobody else. I don’t buy he is just going to sit back. No support or mention of Alvin either. No vote of confidence. Well at least not yet.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    And my thoughts I do believe Grif. is testing Favors, J.J. And Jrue’s trade value. Interesting he mentioned those three and nobody else. I don’t buy he is just going to sit back. No support or mention of Alvin either. No vote of confidence. Well at least not yet.
    Zion is a generational talent and even though our record is terrible I think he could come back and we could become a much better team. A good team with flaws. A team that can go on a considerable winning streak. Trading Jrue before the deadline will not happen. JJ or Favors maybe..

We want to see Zion on the court with all of these players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind Griffin denying anything. There's no benefit to tipping your hand. However if this is true and he doesn't see the flaws in keeping Holiday then I have little faith that Griffin will fair better than Demps. The best most logical way to win big long term in this league remains the same for teams like us in a similar market. The hardest part we probably luck into to(drafting Zion) and Griffin seems intent on blowing the rest.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 12-18-2019 at 06:01 PM.

I love how he casually slid in the "so if we’re going to see a setback we would see it now". I fully expect the setback to magically occur soon which will further kick the can down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't mind Griffin denying anything. There's no benefit to tipping your hand. However if this is true and he doesn't see the flaws in keeping the Holiday than I have little faith that Griffin will fair better than Demps. The best most logical way to win big long term in this league remains the same for teams like us in a similar market. The hardest part we probably luck into to(drafting Zion) and Griffin seems intent on blowing the rest.
    We just have to trust Griff. Is going to fix this some how. The good news Zion is practicing again. I think he really does want to make a change in coaching. Possibly being held back by Gayle and Dennis till after Christmas.

This guy is so full of crap he is the problem that happening at the NO S&WB.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    This guy is so full of crap he is the problem that happening at the NO S&WB.
    What else is he supposed to say? We suck, team is total cheeks, we're totally trading all the players, I'm writing Gentry's pink slip and sending him to the gulag as we speak, Zion will never play and is addicted to popeyes chicken sandwiches and you know what we're moving to Seattle.

Is that what we're expecting now.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Zion is a generational talent and even though our record is terrible I think he could come back and we could become a much better team.

Need to hold off on that. He is a rookie that has only played against preseason defense.

Another reason he needs to play this year is to learn his deficiencies to work on them over the summer. He'll have more issues than a janky outside shot.

He already looked extremely lost on defense in preseason. As did everybody.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    We literally have zero idea of what Zion will be when he comes back. I’m definitely not getting excited watching him shoot a flat footed jumper. The Pels did the ol “hurry guys and record this, so we can give the fans some hope right before we tell them Zion is out for the season trick”. I don’t know how anybody can think he will make a huge difference coming off a knee injury at 280lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Need to hold off on that. He is a rookie that has only played against preseason defense.

Another reason he needs to play this year is to learn his deficiencies to work on them over the summer. He'll have more issues than a janky outside shot.

He already looked extremely lost on defense in preseason. As did everybody.
    Honestly, while it's absolutely true that Zions defense was inconsistent in the pre-season, the amount that that concerns me has dropped dramatically. We're two dozen games into the year (and some change) and Jrue Holiday, top tier defender, still looks out of place at times. Any blame Zion got for his preseason defensive lapses gets ameliorated when you consider that apparently, THIS is how we play defense.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    What else is he supposed to say? We suck, team is total cheeks, we're totally trading all the players, I'm writing Gentry's pink slip and sending him to the gulag as we speak, Zion will never play and is addicted to popeyes chicken sandwiches and you know what we're moving to Seattle.

Is that what we're expecting now.
    Hell no, we are expecting bold strokes. We are expecting a doo doo team to do something non-doo doo, and he is the one sitting on his hands.

Hell no, we are expecting bold strokes. We are expecting a doo doo team to do something non-doo doo, and he is the one sitting on his hands.
    Is it him or Gayle. There are some who believe Gayle does not want to make the moves because it is Christmas season. After Jesus birthday I expect some more house cleaning. Grif will do the work fixing it.

Is it him or Gayle. There are some who believe Gayle does not want to make the moves because it is Christmas season. After Jesus birthday I expect some more house cleaning. Grif will do the work fixing it.
    If he doesn’t I wouldn’t mind seeing him run out on a spike as well.

If he doesn’t I wouldn’t mind seeing him run out on a spike as well.
    You talking about Gentry right? If we fire Grif. Who do we replaces him? Sam Hinkie?

You talking about Gentry right? If we fire Grif. Who do we replaces him? Sam Hinkie?
    If Grif doesn’t make the change at HC then we can throw him to the wolves as well. This team shows every day that it is incapable of building a winner.

If Grif doesn’t make the change at HC then we can throw him to the wolves as well. This team shows every day that it is incapable of building a winner.
    What if Gayle and Dennis are holding Griff. back from firing? Fire Gayle too?

The fact they quit announcing Gentry’s name during player intros yeah LOL Gayle and Dennis know it too. The loudest cheer of the year was when Alvin got kicked and stormed out Sunday .
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-18-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    The truth is, the Pels don’t even have a head coach. By the way Alvin describes what he does, the players are coaching themselves anyway.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    We literally have zero idea of what Zion will be when he comes back. I’m definitely not getting excited watching him shoot a flat footed jumper. The Pels did the ol “hurry guys and record this, so we can give the fans some hope right before we tell them Zion is out for the season trick”. I don’t know how anybody can think he will make a huge difference coming off a knee injury at 280lbs.
    I’m sure many a positive thought is beyond you.

You’re like Pelicans Hot Takes.

The Game Thread Starter j_bones's Avatar
    12 minutes of Zion pregame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRkOigYs0A4

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j_bones View Post
    Looks good. Looks more like a guard but built like a defensive end. I bet he lost 15-20lbs. I think he’s gonna crush the league for many years. Luka and Zion will be the top players for the next decade.

Just embedding it for ease of view

It's always hard to say, but he looks relatively thin. Certainly no larger than he did in preseason and maybe a bit lighter. Definitely thinner than he looked in summer league.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j_bones View Post
    One of the things I noticed is that he doesn't have an excessive limp to his walk. Watching him walk, it made me think he was always hurt, he had such a weird gait. He looks good though. I'm looking forward to his debut man.

Thread Information