Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: GENTRY FIRING COULD BE VERY SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Gentry gets blamed for coaching problems as much as he does because he gets paid several millions of dollars a year to be the head coach of a basketball team.

When he insists on running despicably bad rotations and lineups, that is his fault. He gets paid to do that. Deciding on the lineups that play and controlling the rotations is a part of his job. So when he plays 4 guards and Melli as his 5 guys on the court for 7 minutes and we get slaughtered, that's his fault. When he plays 3 guards but no lead ball-handlers, that's his decision and it's a bad decision so he gets the blame for that. That's his choice.

When he insists on playing schemes that our players cannot execute, that clearly aren't working, for literally dozens of games at a time, that's his choice. So when we go on the worst losing streak since the franchise changed names, yes, he gets some blame for that right at his feet.

But if he's going to lose, at least he's going to develop youth, right? Well, no. When he insists on keeping NAW glued to the bench for game after game while playing literally every other guard, that's his decision to make, and it's a stupid one. That's his choice. It is his job to make that choice. So yes, he gets the blame for it.

Now, it's very easy for someone to sit at home and criticise, I understand that. And it's very common, whenever someone like me (who is not an NBA coach, obviously) makes comments of this kind, for someone to say that I simply don't understand. I'm not a head coach so I don't see everything he sees, I'm not a genius, I couldn't do it better, whatever.

Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. Maybe I couldn't do better, very possibly that's true. But the thing is, I'm not a Michelin star chef either, but I know when the food is burned
    This is lost on some. Not everyone stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Opinions will vary wildly, but that is part of the game. Most of us have watched a lot of basketball and learned quite a deal. Leave the elitist opinions where they belong. In the dump. With McNamara
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 12-31-2019 at 01:15 AM.

Gentry gets blamed for coaching problems as much as he does because he gets paid several millions of dollars a year to be the head coach of a basketball team.

When he insists on running despicably bad rotations and lineups, that is his fault. He gets paid to do that. Deciding on the lineups that play and controlling the rotations is a part of his job. So when he plays 4 guards and Melli as his 5 guys on the court for 7 minutes and we get slaughtered, that's his fault. When he plays 3 guards but no lead ball-handlers, that's his decision and it's a bad decision so he gets the blame for that. That's his choice.

When he insists on playing schemes that our players cannot execute, that clearly aren't working, for literally dozens of games at a time, that's his choice. So when we go on the worst losing streak since the franchise changed names, yes, he gets some blame for that right at his feet.

But if he's going to lose, at least he's going to develop youth, right? Well, no. When he insists on keeping NAW glued to the bench for game after game while playing literally every other guard, that's his decision to make, and it's a stupid one. That's his choice. It is his job to make that choice. So yes, he gets the blame for it.

Now, it's very easy for someone to sit at home and criticise, I understand that. And it's very common, whenever someone like me (who is not an NBA coach, obviously) makes comments of this kind, for someone to say that I simply don't understand. I'm not a head coach so I don't see everything he sees, I'm not a genius, I couldn't do it better, whatever.

Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. Maybe I couldn't do better, very possibly that's true. But the thing is, I'm not a Michelin star chef either, but I know when the food is burned.
    Well my mom went to boarding school in England for two years so I know that last paragraph to be a lie!

I meant that playfully. I hope you take it that way. Lol

I feel for Gentry the same I did for Monty when he got fired. Neutral. He hasn't proven himself to me but i can see outside factors causing the failure, too. Griffin I have absolute faith in. So however he goes this offseason, I'll get with it. He would know the truth on if Jrue and Favors had more to do with the scheme success than Gentry.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    JJ. At some point down the line I stepped on your toes. I'm sorry about that. This place got REALLY toxic last season and I contributed a lot to that with my sassy ****** comments. You called me out. That stuck with me. Since then, I've tried to be less snarky. Tried to come in with the one liners at other posters expenses less...trying for not at all. I relapse some. Overall, I think the board has gotten better. I feel like I've done better. Winning will cure a lot. Me trying to always be positive to other posters will help, too. I like you. I like Dae. I want to be able to have the recourse without the snark. My goal is to make it to where I make the experience of everyone I converse with on here more positive. I forget that sometimes out of frustration. Constant negativity gets to me. But like this young team I will keep trying to be better.

To me, that's not a strawman. People keep making easy generalizations trivializing our issues.....just as a point, you state that we should have changed to a simpler scheme. That's very easy to say. But we had no continuity, no team chemistry, a bunch of very young players, injuries that kept key people out of the first 26 games, and were already implementing a new scheme. To all of the sudden on the fly say "hey guys, hold up. Let's throw in a brand new scheme" would have been impossible. It also would have taken Gentry being a precog in seeing the future injuries he would have to work with. When people say "just have someone drop and rim protect", my point is who? You were willing to accept Melli and Jah there but Dae admitted a bit that they'd suck at it. I have not ignored that the players looked scattered (that would actually be a strawman argument claiming that I did). I just associate it with the learning curve of young players, new team, and new scheme.....plus missing so many people.

I know I screw up sometimes, but I really did take to heart last season when you told me I get too caustic with people. I'm trying.
    All good. All I can say is we need to agree to disagree on Gentry. It doesn’t mean we don’t have the same ambitions here. Playoffs are still there. What happens to Gentry afterwards happens

So it's obvious they are showcasing Frank. They've had him in to close the 2nd quarter and have sat Jrue.

So they've had this little win streak while not 100% committed to winning games.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    That's giving him far too much credit. Roddy Piper was good.
    As a longtime reader of the board, MM has offered more memorable and important analysis than most, so you may wanna chill. OF course he needs to chill sometimes, but lots of y'all need to chill as well. I appreciate that you are active, but you have spent pages saying the same thing over and over, while dismissing msusousaphone. I find myself agreeing with MSU while reading your back and forth. And MM made a strong point about long term vision for coach. Again, glad you are around and you offer some good insights, but we need more voices on here, including MM.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    As a longtime reader of the board, MM has offered more memorable and important analysis than most, so you may wanna chill. OF course he needs to chill sometimes, but lots of y'all need to chill as well. I appreciate that you are active, but you have spent pages saying the same thing over and over, while dismissing msusousaphone. I find myself agreeing with MSU while reading your back and forth. And MM made a strong point about long term vision for coach. Again, glad you are around and you offer some good insights, but we need more voices on here, including MM.
    MS is right to have his opinions. I’ve said it before that I don’t mind it when he comes with a decent take. If he belittles or dismisses my opinion, I’m going to remind him that this is a forum board. When you start arguing about who is right or wrong it goes nowhere if you act dismissively towards someone else. He knows that. He’s a good guy that just gets caught up like all of us. MM on the other hand is never the answer

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Maybe this is just a matter of taste, but personally I find it far more productive and healthy for the board if I and MSU have a few pages of debate than if MM shows up once every 3 months to call everyone on the board an idiot and then leave again.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Well my mom went to boarding school in England for two years so I know that last paragraph to be a lie!

I meant that playfully. I hope you take it that way. Lol

I feel for Gentry the same I did for Monty when he got fired. Neutral. He hasn't proven himself to me but i can see outside factors causing the failure, too. Griffin I have absolute faith in. So however he goes this offseason, I'll get with it. He would know the truth on if Jrue and Favors had more to do with the scheme success than Gentry.
    My only worry regarding Griff is that he allows his friendship with Gentry to cloud the business decision. That could be a totally unjustified worry, but it is still there.

Thread Information