Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: GENTRY FIRING COULD BE VERY SOON!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Nothing has changed, really. Best place for Gentry won't be on the sidelines. Not in that role.

Everything has changed. Can't deny that.

This is one of the youngest teams with the least amount of continuity going into the season. The FIRE GENTRY stuff was premature. He is getting this team playing with synergy faster than should be anticipated.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Everything has changed. Can't deny that.

This is one of the youngest teams with the least amount of continuity going into the season. The FIRE GENTRY stuff was premature. He is getting this team playing with synergy faster than should be anticipated.
    This is probably why you let a guy finish out the year. We have looked pretty good since getting Favors back healthy.

How deep of a playoff run would be required to consider keeping Gentry?

It's nice to be excited again and Zion isn't even back yet!

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    This is probably why you let a guy finish out the year. We have looked pretty good since getting Favors back healthy.

How deep of a playoff run would be required to consider keeping Gentry?

It's nice to be excited again and Zion isn't even back yet!
    This is why you fire a guy early.

Gentry is a bad coach. He's proved it over years and years of play. But if you allow his awful choices during the first 30 games of the season to be dismissed by hiding them underneath the legitimate injury concerns, while giving him full credit for (inevitably, given the schedule) stronger end to the year, you're fooling yourself.

It's just another smokescreen that's going to end up allowing Gentry to stick out another year here that he doesn't deserve.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Gentry is a bad coach. He's proved it over years and years of play. But if you allow his awful choices during the first 30 games of the season to be dismissed by hiding them underneath the legitimate injury concerns, while giving him full credit for (inevitably, given the schedule) stronger end to the year, you're fooling yourself.

It's just another smokescreen that's going to end up allowing Gentry to stick out another year here that he doesn't deserve.
    I will co-sign this post.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

This is only true if Griffin and Langdon are as dumb as casual fans. This is the error I see many of you make. And it makes sense, since you only converse with other dumb fans but if you were to ever speak to someone like Langdon or Griffin, you would know that smart basketball people do not view things as black and white

Dumb fans think: Win game = good, Lose game= bad

But Griff and Langdon ain't thinking like that. Have a little more faith in them than you would a standard person on twitter or a message board
    @mcnamara247

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This is only true if Griffin and Langdon are as dumb as casual fans. This is the error I see many of you make. And it makes sense, since you only converse with other dumb fans but if you were to ever speak to someone like Langdon or Griffin, you would know that smart basketball people do not view things as black and white

But Griff and Langdon ain't thinking like that. Have a little more faith in them than you would a standard person on twitter or a message board
    you're too funny sometimes! Glad to have you back, but just try, really try, to soften your touch. However, I agree with you

Thanks for the laugh substitute teacher from Utah. Just curious was your twitter account suspended again? Is that why you are here?
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-26-2019 at 09:35 AM.

But Gentry is a loser, and a few wins don’t change that.

If Langdon and Griff want to tie that milestone around their necks then so be it, but they better not get pissed at fans when interest wanes, and players don’t come to play with Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    But Gentry is a loser, and a few wins don’t change that.

If Langdon and Griff want to tie that milestone around their necks then so be it, but they better not get pissed at fans when interest wanes, and players don’t come to play with Zion.
    Dell Demps & Jeff Bowers all over again?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Dell Demps & Jeff Bowers all over again?
    It’s like the Byron Scott situation all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Thanks for the laugh substitute teacher from Utah. Just curious was your twitter account suspended again? Is that why you are here?
    Nah fam y'all ain't running of MM this time again. Let him get his stuff off. Facts are if you go to sites like Tiger droppings and sometimes on here fans can be very impulsive and say dumb things. Nothing personal about it, it's just facts. Let's no go back and forth and get emotional, if anyone offend anyone let's just ignore it
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Nah fam y'all ain't running of MM this time again. Let him get his stuff off. Facts are if you go to sites like Tiger droppings and sometimes on here fans can be very impulsive and say dumb things. Nothing personal about it, it's just facts. Let's no go back and forth and get emotional, if anyone offend anyone let's just ignore it
    yes!

Do people around here really leave because they get offended? That’s weak. I can understand not logging on for months at a time because the team sucks, or it’s the offseason, but because people are offending you and your crap takes, come on. Suck it up buttercup.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    you're too funny sometimes! Glad to have you back, but just try, really try, to soften your touch. However, I agree with you
    Truth is truth. I never got the point of "softening it up"... if people can't handle truth, that's on them not me

Do people around here really leave because they get offended? That’s weak. I can understand not logging on for months at a time because the team sucks, or it’s the offseason, but because people are offending you and your crap takes, come on. Suck it up buttercup.
    I dont run off. I have an elite board that is 100 times better than twitter or other sites. Occassionally I come back to converse and see if there is any good talent to recruit to the elite board. Then, I leave again.

Let's just say I haven't messaged anyone from here based on what I have seen the last few days

I dont run off. I have an elite board that is 100 times better than twitter or other sites. Occassionally I come back to converse and see if there is any good talent to recruit to the elite board. Then, I leave again.

Let's just say I haven't messaged anyone from here based on what I have seen the last few days
    We’re not your parents, you don’t have to justify your life choices to us.

All-Star
    In the five years Alvin Gentry has been our coach, he has only one winning season. This is not acceptable.

We’re not your parents, you don’t have to justify your life choices to us.
    I'm sure when people lie and create false narratives about you, you dont say anything and just allow that lie to be out there -- looking more and more true because of your lack of response.

My bad for putting the truth out there. Won't happen again

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_CITY_BOI View Post
    In the five years Alvin Gentry has been our coach, he has only one winning season. This is not acceptable.
    Yeah, but wins don’t equal success (or something like that).

If he stays past this year that’s an indictment on how serious Griff is as a President, and Langdon is as a GM.

What if there is no elite coach out there and/or you think there could be one in summer of 2021? Do you grab a B coach and commit to him or her for 4 years just because they are better than Gentry?

Or do you keep the guy you are already paying and wait.for the guy who can be a great coach for Zion for the next 10 years?

You guys all blasted Dell for.always being short sighted but now you want to.do the same things he did. Minor improvements at the expense of the bigger picture

Not saying this WILL be the case, but it's a possible universe where it would make sense for Gentry to be coach next season that doesn't mean he fooled anybody. They are just seeing big picture and not.rushing to commit to the most important position in the Zion.era

Yeah, but wins don’t equal success (or something like that).

If he stays past this year that’s an indictment on how serious Griff is as a President, and Langdon is as a GM.
    I think everyone agrees that winning is, more or less, success. The point is that you can't judge the quality of a coach on wins in all cases.

And I am in favour of moving on from Gentry at the end of this year, so it's not like I'm defending him. I just don't think you can look at the W/L columns at the end of a season and rank each coach by # of Ws.

I’m a simple man, I work in finance, you track trends over time to determine a clients credit worthiness. Over his 18 years as a head coach Gentry would be a trouble credit, and I wouldn’t trust him with a line of credit sufficient to buy a pack of bubble gum. The guy has a high risk rating, and warts all over. He would have busted so many covenants (after they had been adjusted) that it just wouldn’t be worth lending to him. You want to pass that customer off to another bank, or if a relationship manager moves to another bank, you don’t mind if he/she takes that customer with them.

If finding the next big coach was as easy as it sounds then every team would be doing it, but it’s not. All we do know is that Gentry isn’t a winner, and the likelihood of him having success here is less than 30%.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 12-26-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Is it just other writers? There was a twitter ban?

Was a good road trip. Let the GS game get away. Next set of 4 games going to be tough
    Last edited by ColoradoCajun; 12-26-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Oh dear. You couldn’t help yourself could you? Hopefully Gentry is sacked at seasons’s end as should be. He had his chance to make a good impression and he blew it. If we have to bank every season on hovering around 500 all year without separating ourselves or trying to dig ourselves out of a massive hole every season, it’s not worth it. Bring someone in that can manage the year, manage with injuries, manage rotations and play a less risky style of basketball. Keep your Narcissist’s Anonymous adventures to yourselves.

Thread Information