Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: GENTRY FIRING COULD BE VERY SOON!

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Fire him. Let Vinson take over for the rest of the season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think we need to finish the season and fire Gentry after the season is over. I want a completely different coach.
    We gotta get back to defense. Gentry is obsessed with pace. Pace doesn’t lead to wins when you can’t play defense or run an actual offense. I want a different coach who knows how to win. This is a coaching problem. I say we draft Anthony Edwards and trade Jrue. Get a stretch 4/5.

I think we will sign Ingram long term.

Trade Jrue, Lonzo and draft picks for a disgruntled superstar. IDK. Getting ahead of myself....

Maybe get that Ginger Mannion to be our red head point guard. He might get his ****** kicked in the nba though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Trade Jrue, Lonzo and draft picks for a disgruntled superstar. IDK. Getting ahead of myself....

Maybe get that Ginger Mannion to be our red head point guard. He might get his ****** kicked in the nba though.
    Not really interested myself in packaging a bunch of picks together for a disgruntled superstar, tbh. Mainly because there doesn't appear to be many of them right now, and given the age of our team and our timeline, I'd rather have 3 Lakers picks than some like, upper mid-tier 30 year old.

Mannion won't get pushed around in the NBA, imo. He's small (6'3, with a 6'2 wingspan is small) but he plays great team D and he's perfectly willing to fight it out against bigger guys. Obviously this is just in college, but I've seen him defending the post against guys 5+ inches taller than him and while they obviously have the advantage, he doesn't just give up. He's got a little grit to him. In the NBA, that's the kind of guy who can be used functionally as long as your coach isn't a dodo; can't have him constantly switching onto 6'9 power forwards or anything, but he can guard other PGs well enough and even some smaller SGs.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Not really interested myself in packaging a bunch of picks together for a disgruntled superstar, tbh. Mainly because there doesn't appear to be many of them right now, and given the age of our team and our timeline, I'd rather have 3 Lakers picks than some like, upper mid-tier 30 year old.

Mannion won't get pushed around in the NBA, imo. He's small (6'3, with a 6'2 wingspan is small) but he plays great team D and he's perfectly willing to fight it out against bigger guys. Obviously this is just in college, but I've seen him defending the post against guys 5+ inches taller than him and while they obviously have the advantage, he doesn't just give up. He's got a little grit to him. In the NBA, that's the kind of guy who can be used functionally as long as your coach isn't a dodo; can't have him constantly switching onto 6'9 power forwards or anything, but he can guard other PGs well enough and even some smaller SGs.
    That is Josh Hart attitude basically.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    That is Josh Hart attitude basically.
    In a way. Hart is more switchable though, he's taller than Mannion and has a 6'9 wingspan, which helps a lot.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    The Ringer: Is Alvin Gentry’s Warped Time in New Orleans Coming to an End?.
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1...ion-williamson

Tonight if we lose!

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    “We lost tonight’s game cause we missed JJs rebounding and defense. It’s tough when you don’t have the starting center”.

Oh wait....

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    The Ringer: Is Alvin Gentry’s Warped Time in New Orleans Coming to an End?.
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1...ion-williamson
    All these articles are emotional.

No real analysis of why they have continued to lose even though the talent is there to at least be near 500.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    All these articles are emotional.

No real analysis of why they have continued to lose even though the talent is there to at least be near 500.
    Yup! The only one with any real reasoning was the very first article by Dodson. The rest are just pointing out things that are obvious like the losing streak and the record. Much more to it than that.

I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Yup! The only one with any real reasoning was the very first article by Dodson. The rest are just pointing out things that are obvious like the losing streak and the record. Much more to it than that.

I agree with you.
    How many writers are on the beat? How many worth following? How many are blogs? Advocate/Nola hired a full time guy. Guillory at The Athletic, Lopez at ESPN. Kushner and Mackel, Dodson at Forbes, SB Nation guys with Bird Writes go to games but don't travel. Pelican Debrief is just a Fansided site. Message boards and reddit analytic guys do just as much, and help fill in the blanks. Some have to tiptoe a bit to keep access I would think.
    Last edited by ColoradoCajun; 12-17-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    How many writers are on the beat? How many worth following? How many are blogs? Advocate/Nola hired a full time guy. Guillory at The Athletic, Lopez at ESPN. Kushner and Mackel, Dodson at Forbes, SB Nation guys with Bird Writes go to games but don't travel. Pelican Debrief is just a Fansided site. Message boards and reddit analytic guys do just as much, and help fill in the blanks. Some have to tiptoe a bit to keep access I would think.
    Christian Clarke is the new guy. He has been pretty good. The other one is Jim Eichenhoffer.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Kevin O'Connor says before we make some big trade, we would cut Gentry loose. Or he'd resign, I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Kevin O'Connor says before we make some big trade, we would cut Gentry loose. Or he'd resign, I'm thinking.
    And walk away from $5MM next year plus whatever's left for this season? Lol

I been saying this. We need to give a roster a chance for once.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    And walk away from $5MM next year plus whatever's left for this season? Lol
    Not too concerned. No reason that can’t be negotiated.

Not too concerned. No reason that can’t be negotiated.
    Why would he want to negotiate that?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Why would he want to negotiate that?
    In exchange for a front office position?

When the team picked up his option for next season, they essentially guaranteed that money. Gentry gets his millions due for next season even if he gets fired tonight. If he wants a move to the FO, it's just a mutual rip up and renegotiates situation. But does Griff want Gentry in his FO? They've worked together before. Would Gentry want to stick around after getting fired? He could latch on with a contender like Golden State before he came here.

Hall of Famer Contributor Hopeful Hugo's Avatar
    After that game he should be done!!!
    Geaux Pells!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hugo View Post
    After that game he should be done!!!
    Well I got bad news for you. He won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    Well I got bad news for you. He won't be.
    What has to happen at this point for him to be fired!? Anyone with two eyes and a peanut brain knows he has to go. Tonight loss is full on his shoulders. Keeping Williams in the game with Zero points killed us

8 man rotation and still lost against this crap team. Fire him

Even his defenders are saying can him now.

Any coach that has a 7-22 record and still refuses to develop/evaluate the players is doing it all wrong. This is how you end up with no assets and no bench. Nice job Alvin

Thread Information