Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: GENTRY FIRING COULD BE VERY SOON!

GENTRY FIRING COULD BE VERY SOON!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo...ke-it-to-2020/

David Griffin came out and declared this team would be a playoff contender capable of dominating performances.
    David Griffin looked well past displeased as Gentry stormed down the tunnel following an ejection during the Orlando loss. Injuries only excuse so much, something has to give. The New York Knicks fired David Fizdale after blowout losses that extended a losing streak. The Pelicans just lost their 12th game in a row. The largest loss in franchise history is included in this demoralizing streak.
    It happens Soon?

The debate over whether Gentry will finish out the season is growing one-sided. Should the Pelicans fail to find a win in the next two weeks, Griffin could be forced to make a change before traveling to Los Angeles to face the Lakers on January 3, 2020.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-15-2019 at 11:27 PM.

When asked about how injuries and emotions affect rotations and how New Orleans could scheme ways to help players settle into games, Gentry said, “You can’t scheme around anything really. You just got to play and be real solid in what you are doing. We’re trying to establish something...What we are trying to do is establish consistency in what we are doing so we are not going to all of a sudden run a box-and-one or a triangle-and-two or something like that. Maybe if you were in a playoff situation, yea, but in a regular-season game what we have to do is establish consistency in what we are doing and that is what we will try to do.”

Which is fire Gentry, right? A coach that 'can't scheme around anything really' and admits it?

Final paragraph is gold

Either way, New Orleans must start looking for a new head coach for next season. The historic number of season ticket holders will not buy into the “Won’t Bow Down” motto if it seems the Pelicans are kneeling to the same complacent standards of old. That complacency is what Gentry now represents, with the current losing streak serving as a crushing backdrop

Gold Jerry! Gold!

The daggers are coming. Finch or Bzdelick for the rest of the season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Hire Jeff Bowers.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    When asked about how injuries and emotions affect rotations and how New Orleans could scheme ways to help players settle into games, Gentry said, “You can’t scheme around anything really. You just got to play and be real solid in what you are doing. We’re trying to establish something...What we are trying to do is establish consistency in what we are doing so we are not going to all of a sudden run a box-and-one or a triangle-and-two or something like that. Maybe if you were in a playoff situation, yea, but in a regular-season game what we have to do is establish consistency in what we are doing and that is what we will try to do.”

Which is fire Gentry, right? A coach that 'can't scheme around anything really' and admits it?
    ....What? So he's not really coaching? Big surprise lmao How are you going to find consistency without a scheme?

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

When Gentry is fired, Zion returns!

Gentry just keeps showing up till they tell him not too. He wants to be fired. Front office is clueless too.

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    I don't post a lot anymore but I lurk. I just wonder how much more of this we, as a fan base, can take. The only sense of any excitement around this team was a pipe dream. Zion, at this point, is way more of a question mark than a sure thing. The team looks as bad, if not worse, than in years past. I get the idea of needing time to gel but this is ridiculous. 12 losses in a row and very little in the way of anything that resembles a professional organization. I think of all the things I thought was going to change was that. I wasn't expecting the playoffs this season, but I wasn't expecting 12 losses in a row either. So how long can we go like this? I think we are on the verge of total collapse. I know Gayle is dug in on the Pels and I assume with the success of the Saints, she has the money to keep a sunken skip floating enough to salvage it. When is it enough though? Where do we go from here?

Just my opinion but they need to blow this thing up. First and foremost, Gentry HAS to go. It's time. I have personally defended him for a while but I am at my breaking point with him. This team can't win with him as the Coach. I don't know what the answer is, but it's not him. Trades. Get what you can for Jrue, Favors, Redick and Ball. I love Jrue and Redick but they deserve better. Favors is a goner after this season anyway and Ball is a joke, always has been. Build around Zion (maybe), Ingram and Hayes and you top 4 or 5 pick you are going to get after this debacle of a season ends.

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

I think it is a foregone conclusion that Gentry will not be coaching next year. With all the young players, we need a young developmental coach. Even a hot college coach may make sense as someone who can relate to the younger players.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post

I find it pretty intriguing that when asked about scheming, Gentry runs with ''we are not going to all of a sudden run a box-and-one'' as his response.

Nick Nurse pulling out a box-and-one in the NBA finals was one of the most surprising coaching decisions I've seen a coach make at the NBA level in a long time, and it damn near worked. It was highly unusual, very specifically tailored to both his personnel and the opposing team, in that moment. It was high level coaching. Nobody is expecting Gentry to sudden pull choices like that on a game to game basis.

The fact that, when asked about just scheming in general, his first instinct was to refer to one of the weirdest, most out-of-the-norm, mad-genius brilliant pieces of coaching in a long time tells me that he doesn't really have a firm understanding of what normal game to game scheming looks like.

Which makes sense, when you watch teams he's been the HC of, but still.
    Basketball.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Oh please let this happen soon. SAVE THE SEASON.

Give me some kind of hope with someone who actually COACHES.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Oh please let this happen soon. SAVE THE SEASON.

Give me some kind of hope with someone who actually COACHES.
    Firing Gentry will not save the season. May just make us fell a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    ....What? So he's not really coaching? Big surprise lmao How are you going to find consistency without a scheme?
    That was Gentry's quote. Can watch it on Youtube. pregame quotes from Lakers home game. Last question.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yep, and if someone like Finch takes over and does well with the remaining games that have a super super super cushy schedule, that could cause complications with regards to a future coaching search. It would be easy to have Favors and Zion come back healthy, hit an easy schedule, go +.500 to close the season and end up retaining Finch as HC rather than doing a proper search.

Let Gentry finish the season, fire him, and then do a HC hunt properly.

There’s two sides to that. With a soft schedule and a healthy team, they might finish strong enough to retain Gentry. I’d rather take my chances with an interim coach and start the coaching search early on like we did when we ousted Demps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yep, and if someone like Finch takes over and does well with the remaining games that have a super super super cushy schedule, that could cause complications with regards to a future coaching search. It would be easy to have Favors and Zion come back healthy, hit an easy schedule, go +.500 to close the season and end up retaining Finch as HC rather than doing a proper search.

Let Gentry finish the season, fire him, and then do a HC hunt properly.

Wouldn’t it be more professional to fire him now so Griff can use all his resources to hire the next new coach without going behind Gentry’s back? Hasn’t Alvin fried enough and you want to fry him more?

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    There’s two sides to that. With a soft schedule and a healthy team, they might finish strong enough to retain Gentry. I’d rather take my chances with an interim coach and start the coaching search early on like we did when we ousted Demps.
    Maybe, but I feel like that's less likely because Gentry's record will still have the last few years of failure on it, plus his W/L will be weighed down by the losses early this season.

Even if we go .500 ish from hereon in, Gentry will still finish with a record of far below .500 overall, whereas if you were to let him go he'd finish with a 6-21 record and his successor would finish up the season at .500.

It's far easy to fire someone with a significantly sub-500 record than someone who manages to keep things afloat. Or at least, it's easier to justify to yourself.

Edit: post edited to remove my terrible maths I was totally failing at registering how many games were actually left.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 12-16-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Translation. I’m tired of this. They still won’t fire me.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    As I’ve been saying all along, it’s catharsis. Which isn’t as good for you as most feel it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    As I’ve been saying all along, it’s catharsis. Which isn’t as good for you as most feel it is.
    It’s time to move on . This season is already lost. The earlier the more time Griff. Has time to get this right.

AGAIN LET THIS SINK IN

Either way, New Orleans must start looking for a new head coach for next season. The historic number of season ticket holders will not buy into the “Won’t Bow Down” motto if it seems the Pelicans are kneeling to the same complacent standards of old. That complacency is what Gentry now represents, with the current losing streak serving as a crushing backdrop

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Actions speak louder than words, Griff. No matter how much you love Alvin, you gotta let him go. He's a glorified offensive coordinator.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I been hoping all day that was his farewell slap in the back of Bzdelik. Dude is absolute buns, debris, 3 week old baby diapers, stale oatmeal, mildewed socks, old milk carton, skid mark draws, rusted bean can, dried tampon, bourbon street vomit, Taco Bell dookie, asparagus urine, straight up garbage. Get him outta here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I been hoping all day that was his farewell slap in the back of Bzdelik. Dude is absolute buns, debris, 3 week old baby diapers, stale oatmeal, mildewed socks, old milk carton, skid mark draws, rusted bean can, dried tampon, bourbon street vomit, Taco Bell dookie, asparagus urine, straight up garbage. Get him outta here!!!
    Bzdelik's defense has been pretty vomit. He should go too.

Thread Information