Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many losses in a row for Gentry to get fired in season?

Pelicans How many losses in a row for Gentry to get fired in season?

Already set the franchise record for losses in a row so I’m wondering if there is a breaking point? 30 game losing streak for him to get canned?
    Last edited by studentofthegam; 12-16-2019 at 11:22 AM.

It’s one of those situations where I’m like “what’s the point.” At the same time, it’s frustrating that he is still here. 6-21 is just unacceptable with the talent we have. Reddick has to be looking for a trade if he wants any shot of maintaining that record.

He should have never been retained. I get creating a culture but being a non glamor team in a smaller market means if we want to achieve a championship we have to be excellent in the FO and coaching. Gentry is a great assistant and a decent coach given the proper team, but he's no where close to excellent so he shouldn't be our head coach.

As horrible as we have been. We are still only 6 games from 7th place. We can still salvage this season if we get rid of Freelance Gentry. They did run plays in the first half of the Orlando game but only like 6 and they got great looks every time. But freelance Gentry prefers iNsTiNcT

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    As horrible as we have been. We are still only 6 games from 7th place. We can still salvage this season if we get rid of Freelance Gentry. They did run plays in the first half of the Orlando game but only like 6 and they got great looks every time. But freelance Gentry prefers iNsTiNcT
    Did you notice how much more fluid the offense got once Gentry left and finch called a couple timeouts? Almost all of the shots were open. Is this a coincidence?

Shout out to the crowd for making a statement when Alvin got ejected.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-15-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Did you notice how much more fluid the offense got once Gentry left and finch called a couple timeouts? Almost all of the shots were open. Is this a coincidence?
    At this point it can't get any worse. We just got blown out at home by a team that lost 3 straight.

I wasn't on the fire Gentry train but at this point what else is there to lose? We shouldn't be this bad with the talent we have.

It isn't the offense that's the problem though

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    At this point it can't get any worse. We just got blown out at home by a team that lost 3 straight.

I wasn't on the fire Gentry train but at this point what else is there to lose? We shouldn't be this bad with the talent we have.

It isn't the offense that's the problem though
    I've seen a few people say this, and I think it's something of a false perspective based on things that used to be true, but aren't anymore.

Mark Twain once said ''give a man a reputation as an early riser, and he can sleep 'till noon.'' What that means is pretty obvious: once someone has their reputation instilled, reality ceases to matter.

Gentry has a reputation as running a team with an effective offense, and that reputation didn't come from nowhere. He has a history of doing that. But is he actually doing that now? When you said ''it isn't the offense that's the problem'' is that true?

In reality, we are the 20th ranked offense in the NBA. We score a lot of points, but that's inflated due to pace: we don't actually have a particularly efficient offense. We aren't top 10 in any of the 4 Offensive Factors. We are a bottom 10 offense. It's true that the defense is a bigger problem, sure, we're the 27th ranked defense, but the offense definitely is a problem.
    Basketball.

No. I turned the game off somewhere during the 3rd quarter because I knew where it was headed. I'm about to go rewatch the 4th quarter and see though.

His coaching philosophy, especially on offense, is proving to be worthless. As I predicted, the team came back today and shot 43 threes.

They gained nothing from the game against Philly. And of course, they get run out of the gym this time, at home, by a sub 500 team.

Even more telling, they made 19 threes and shot 44% from there.

So the main items this coach talked about loudly, pace and "shoot at least 40 threes", have translated into a 6-21 team. Because largely they've achieved the goals of having pace and taking/making threes.

Yet, you did not hear him speak on things that move the needle offensively to win games. Yet-- you have slow teams like the Lakers and Nuggets at the top of the standings.

Basketball Guru
    i hope this was a setup to get kicked out of the game that lead to a coach replacement moving gentry to a office position....the whole thing was wild to me...

Fletcher endorsed Becky!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    He should have never been retained. I get creating a culture but being a non glamor team in a smaller market means if we want to achieve a championship we have to be excellent in the FO and coaching. Gentry is a great assistant and a decent coach given the proper team, but he's no where close to excellent so he shouldn't be our head coach.
    Need a developmental coach for the next 3-4 years. Not to argue for Gentry, but how many 'excellent' coaches are there? Available? Proven?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Need a developmental coach for the next 3-4 years. Not to argue for Gentry, but how many 'excellent' coaches are there? Available? Proven?
    Gentry isn’t a development coach. He’s a tank driver.

What’s the point of firing Gentry? What do we have to gain?

The point would be to see if anyone on the bench is worth a spit as a coach.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

Agree. Why not give Jamelle a shot? Isn’t his Dad the coach of Indiana Pacers?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamellemac
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-15-2019 at 09:25 PM.

He’ll give Swin Cash a shot, whatever you do, just keep Gentry’s failure stench away from this team.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Agree. Why not give Jamelle a shot? Isn’t his brother the coach of Indiana Pacers?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamellemac
    Nate is his dad.

Nate is his dad.
    Thanks! I corrected it.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    He’ll give Swin Cash a shot, whatever you do, just keep Gentry’s failure stench away from this team.
    What does Tim Floyd do these days?

He should get fired already.

I’m worried that if Gentry is fired, we’ll keep whatever interim idiot we have brought in and the cycle will repeat. I don’t trust an ownership that based a GM decision on whether they want to keep a proven loser on as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I’m worried that if Gentry is fired, we’ll keep whatever interim idiot we have brought in and the cycle will repeat. I don’t trust an ownership that based a GM decision on whether they want to keep a proven loser on as a coach.
    It’s true, Griff has to prove that he is more than a lap dog.

Thread Information