Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Once Gentry is gone........

Once Gentry is gone........

Who do you want the next head coach to be??? I would like Mark Jackson, but I know that would never happen.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm willing to give a newcomer a chance. Someone who has never coached before like Jerry Stackhouse, Becky Hammon, that assistant from Minnesota, Kevin Ollie. Someone like that.

I've championed the call for Becky Hammon for long enough, I'm not going to jump off the train now.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I've championed the call for Becky Hammon for long enough, I'm not going to jump off the train now.
    That’s my choice as well.

I like her temperament

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    Who do you want the next head coach to be??? I would like Mark Jackson, but I know that would never happen.
    I think this forum agreed that would be a bad idea. He is Alvin Gentry version 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I think this forum agreed that would be a bad idea. He is Alvin Gentry version 2.0.
    Mark ''your teammate is possessed by demons'' Jackson isn't Gentry 2.0. Gentry is likeable, and not a psychopath.

I don't know a great deal about Becky Hammon but do we want that microscope of having the first female HC in the NBA ? Do we want a 1st time HC at any level? ( yeah i know she HC'd summer league ) We have and will have a young team , 1st female NBA HC AND 1st time HC. She may turn out to be a really good HC but it's rolling the dice

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    I don't know a great deal about Becky Hammon but do we want that microscope of having the first female HC in the NBA ? Do we want a 1st time HC at any level? ( yeah i know she HC'd summer league ) We have and will have a young team , 1st female NBA HC AND 1st time HC. She may turn out to be a really good HC but it's rolling the dice
    It is rolling the dice, but I think it's a risk worth taking. She has plenty of experience in the world of basketball, firstly as a player, and for someone without previous HC experience it's hard to get a better pedigree than coming from the Spurs organisation. We will have a young team with all of those things, but that's partially a pro imo. Hammon has shown (via Spurs summer league, as you mentioned) that she's able to connect with and motivate young players at least to some success.

It is a risk, sure, but I think any coach you hire in our current situation is a risk. All the sure-fire good coaches like Budenholzer, Snyder, Pop, etc, already have jobs and they're really not likely to leave them. Any coach you hire is one that's either a risk, or has been squeezed out for some reason or another (these are the Mark Jacksons of the world) and in that scenario I think it's worth taking the risk on someone new.

As for the pressure of hiring the first female HC, that is a valid point. Not in terms of on-court product, since I take Pau Gasol's word for it when he says that Hammon can coach at an NBA level, but there's going to be a lot of people who look at us through a lense of sexism where they hold Hammon to a higher standard than other coaches. I get that. But I also think that this same microscope can be a boon: this organisation should be a forward thinking one. Of course we need to make sure the people are qualified, but insofar as those requirements are met, it is a good thing to open the doors and diversify. For every person that dismisses us for hiring a female HC, there will be another who appreciates that as a positive, and we should embrace that mentality imo.

At the same time, it's not a total shock either: a lot of people have been saying Hammon should get a HC position for a couple of years. For some, it will be less ''oh, so the Pelicans hired a female HC?'' and more ''finally, someone hired Hammon for a HC position! Nice.''
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 12-23-2019 at 08:17 AM.

There are two separate questions

1. Does Hammon deserve a chance to be a Head Coach?
    2. Is she the best possible candidate of every single person who is available for this specific team at this specific time?

The answer to question 1 is definitely yes. The answer to question 2 might be yes but is most likely no.

You are committing to this person for the next 3-5 years and it's not like you can just swap them out like you can with players if it's not the ideal person.

She has a solid resume, but if she is a man with the same coaching resume, nobody here advocates for that person. Especially as an assistant for a team coming off a 35 win season. No way she is stop your guys list with that resume.

Personally, I am pretty convinced the next coach will be Ty Lue but I think Griffin will interview a lot of people and maybe somebody wows him. But I dont think it would be Hammon
    @mcnamara247

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    What about Juwan Howard? He’s been an assistant on a consistently winning team.

I know he is finally coaching his alma mater, but would he pass up a chance to be an NBA head coach? I’m just thinking of people that can relate to the players and bring a toughness to the team.
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 12-23-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    There are two separate questions

1. Does Hammon deserve a chance to be a Head Coach?
    2. Is she the best possible candidate of every single person who is available for this specific team at this specific time?

The answer to question 1 is definitely yes. The answer to question 2 might be yes but is most likely no.

You are committing to this person for the next 3-5 years and it's not like you can just swap them out like you can with players if it's not the ideal person.

She has a solid resume, but if she is a man with the same coaching resume, nobody here advocates for that person. Especially as an assistant for a team coming off a 35 win season. No way she is stop your guys list with that resume.

Personally, I am pretty convinced the next coach will be Ty Lue but I think Griffin will interview a lot of people and maybe somebody wows him. But I dont think it would be Hammon
    I pray it’s not Ty Lue. He hasn’t done anything to win on his own. Lebron coached that CAVS team. If the Pels base their coaching search of off a championship won by having superstars, they might as well keep Alvin.

There are plenty if people who could be the person. More than we can even think of here. Heck, Nick Nurse was a nobody 3 years ago.

But only one person can get the job and that doesn't say anything negative about all the other candidates. But when it comes time to actually pick one over all the others, I would bet that Griffin chooses someone with HC experience. I think Lue is the overwhelming favorite but yes, many people have a solid argument to be considered

There are plenty if people who could be the person. More than we can even think of here. Heck, Nick Nurse was a nobody 3 years ago.

But only one person can get the job and that doesn't say anything negative about all the other candidates. But when it comes time to actually pick one over all the others, I would bet that Griffin chooses someone with HC experience. I think Lue is the overwhelming favorite but yes, many people have a solid argument to be considered
    Who do you think is a diamond in the rough, similar to Nurse? Finding a guy like him would be a franchise changer for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I pray it’s not Ty Lue. He hasn’t done anything to win on his own. Lebron coached that CAVS team. If the Pels base their coaching search of off a championship won by having superstars, they might as well keep Alvin.
    This is lazy. By this same argument, Griffin didn't deserve the job because Lebron was the GM too

Coaches win with talent. And sometimes a coach can't handle top tier talent. Several coaches didn't win titles with MJ, Shaq, Lebron, etc

You can't disqualify a coach when he wins with elite talent. And then also blame him if they lose with elite talent.

What I have seen for years is that fans dont truly understand what 80 percent of the coaches job is. They thi I it is just drawing up plays and schemes and rotations. But that's a very very small part of their actual job

This is lazy. By this same argument, Griffin didn't deserve the job because Lebron was the GM too

Coaches win with talent. And sometimes a coach can't handle top tier talent. Several coaches didn't win titles with MJ, Shaq, Lebron, etc

You can't disqualify a coach when he wins with elite talent. And then also blame him if they lose with elite talent.

What I have seen for years is that fans dont truly understand what 80 percent of the coaches job is. They thi I it is just drawing up plays and schemes and rotations. But that's a very very small part of their actual job
    It’s not an argument. It’s my opinion. I’m just not impressed with Lue. I would rather them find a coach that is known for X and Os. If Lue is that, then fine. I Just don’t see it in him at all.

Who do you think is a diamond in the rough, similar to Nurse? Finding a guy like him would be a franchise changer for sure.
    Nurse goes to the Knicks and he is already fired and won't be getting another job any time soon.

Nurse is both a product of the Raps tremendous culture and a great fit for their culture.

Its forgotten now but he made a lot of dunce decisions in round 2 and 3. He was getting killed on twitter in that Sixers series. If Kawhi has his shot roll out and or the Sixers make another shot or two in that 4the quarter, Nurse is not thought of that highly.

I have seen Spoelstra called both a genius and a hack who only wins with stars. Vogel was a top tier coach, then a loser, now good again. Dantoni was agood, then terrible, then a COY again.

It's a long way of saying that only 2-4 coaches are objectively great and will succeed regardless. The majority are purely reliant on the organization around them, the players, and other variables outside of their control

It’s not an argument. It’s my opinion. I’m just not impressed with Lue. I would rather them find a coach that is known for X and Os. If Lue is that, then fine. I Just don’t see it in him at all.
    This would be like having a strong opinion about a movie you haven't seen. You have no clue what Lue did or didn't do in his job. No clue what his Xs and Os are. Or how they have grown/are growing

This is problem number 1 with the internet. People feel the need to have a strong take on something they dont know about. Just say "I dont know"....its okay to say that, it won't make you irrelevant. It's actually the bravest thing you can say

This would be like having a strong opinion about a movie you haven't seen. You have no clue what Lue did or didn't do in his job. No clue what his Xs and Os are. Or how they have grown/are growing

This is problem number 1 with the internet. People feel the need to have a strong take on something they dont know about. Just say "I dont know"....its okay to say that, it won't make you irrelevant. It's actually the bravest thing you can say
    You just did exactly what you are telling me not to do. How do you know who I am or what I do? I’m stating opinions and you are acting like you know me. Do you know the game of basketball more than me? Or do you just write about it and expect people to believe what you are saying? I respect your opinion, but you are talking to me like I don’t know what I am watching. I know what a coach does behind the scenes. I promise.

Is it always this hard to have a basketball conversation with Mac without him acting like he is the smartest basketball mind on the planet?

You just did exactly what you are telling me not to do. How do you know who I am or what I do? I’m stating opinions and you are acting like you know me. Do you know the game of basketball more than me? Or do you just write about it and expect people to believe what you are saying? I respect your opinion, but you are talking to me like I don’t know what I am watching. I know what a coach does behind the scenes. I promise.
    I am saying you dont know Lue. Prove me wrong and tell me about all his offensive philosophies and what he would do with a roster of X vs a roster of Y. What has he learned since stepping away? What has he added since going to LA?

Neither you nor I know the answers to those questions. But what I wont do is pretend to know and give the lazy, common analysis of Lue that he was just a Lebron puppet and therefore cant/wont be a good coach without him.

The truth is there is no coach that is available that will definitely be a success. They all have pros and cons. They will all grow and learn if given the chance and the right organizational culture.

The mature fan understands things like this. The standard fan has strong opinions one way or the other about this candidate or that one, despite not knowing 80% of what actually matters when it comes to what will predict future success. Thibs was a lock to succeed because of his prior track record when he went to Minnesota. Meanwhile, D'Antoni was thought of as an awful hire when he went to Houston because of his last two stops. The game had passed him by.

IMO, fans and writers should never have a strong opinion about coaching candidates. Nobody, myself included, has access to the information required to have a strong opinion on candidates.

Is it always this hard to have a basketball conversation with Mac without him acting like he is the smartest basketball mind on the planet?
    Not for smart people. They love conversing with me

Not for smart people. They love conversing with me
    Touché. It makes them feel better to talk to someone not as smart. To each their own I guess.

Though I do agree with a lot of what you are saying, the Hammon biasness I guess you can call it for me doesn’t come from being a woman. It’s strictly the fact that she’s sitting next to Pop and her temperament.

Let’s say she was an assistant on the Portland TrailBlazers. My confidence in her as a choice would drop considerably. The Spurs record this season, I don’t mind. To me Pop is in stealth rebuilding mode and in my opinion his team is performing as they should if you cancel out this magic dust theory everyone thinks Pop has under his desk to sprinkle on his team’s to slot themselves into the playoffs every year.

But I agree. Based on familiarity and Griffin being in a position where his rear becomes severely on the line, he may dance with the coach that he knows...again.

Maybe he should trust Langdon‘s opinion on it. I’ve learned that he’s a pretty good eye for talent myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    Though I do agree with a lot of what you are saying, the Hammon biasness I guess you can call it for me doesn’t come from being a woman. It’s strictly the fact that she’s sitting next to Pop and her temperament.

Let’s say she was an assistant on the Portland TrailBlazers. My confidence in her as a choice would drop considerably. The Spurs record this season, I don’t mind. To me Pop is in stealth rebuilding mode and in my opinion his team is performing as they should if you cancel out this magic dust theory everyone thinks Pop has under his desk to sprinkle on his team’s to slot themselves into the playoffs every year.

But I agree. Based on familiarity and Griffin being in a position where his rear becomes severely on the line, he may dance with the coach that he knows...again.

Maybe he should trust Langdon‘s opinion on it. I’ve learned that he’s a pretty good eye for talent myself.
    I agree. This is a good take. I think the Pels should treat this search the same way that they did with the Griff hire. I believe they will, so I am not worried. They know the next hire is very important for the culture and development of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post

I don't even think that's the case this year. Doesn't seem like stealth rebuilding, imo. I think Pop just doesn't seem particularly interested in basketball anymore. He has been on record before saying that he doesn't like the dominance of the 3pt shot and the way it has changed the league, and he was saying that 2, 3 years ago: it's only gotten more dramatic since then. I think he has aesthetic and stylistic issues with the most effective playstyles of the modern era: it doesn't help that his two most well-known players are LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMar Derozan, two guys who have built their careers off of long mid-range shots, and who have given Pop a reason to continue using that style.

Combine that with the sub-par roster that's finally lost its sheen as Aldridge advances in age, Derozan takes another step back, and nobody is there to fill the gap, and I think it's not a stealth rebuild at all. The Spurs just aren't very good right now.

That said, I do agree that the Spurs losing right now doesn't make me averse to Hammon. Hell, Pop was an assistant coach for the 34 win Warriors two seasons before taking over as Spurs HC, and he had also never been a HC before, and then he got the HC job for the Spurs and we all know how that worked out. Not saying that Hammon would be as successful as Pop, that would be presumptuous beyond belief, but it is to say that someone being an AC on a team that has a bad record one year says nothing about their HC potential.

Thread Information